Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony tries to defend Memory card pricing

This is a discussion on Sony tries to defend Memory card pricing within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony defends PS Vita memory card pricing - Atma Xplorer When Sony officially unveiled the PS Vitas price, the console ...

INTJ

Sony tries to defend Memory card pricing

Sony defends PS Vita memory card pricing - Atma Xplorer

When Sony officially unveiled the PS Vitas price, the console undoubtably gained a lot of potential buyers. At $249 for the WiFi version and $399 for the 3G version, the consoles release price is very attractive especially to gamers with tight budgets.

However, things have turned sour when Sony released official information about accessory pricing, specifically about the Vitas new memory cards. Compared to even the top-tiered microSD card, the PS Vitas storage solution is expensive (4GB: $30, 8GB: $45, 16GB: $70, 32GB: $120). Sonys Division 2 Software Developments Head, Muneki Shimada explains why:
    Performance By being the sole provider of the propriety memory card, Sony can ensure that all gamers are guaranteed the same performance since they can set the read/write speeds of the cards.
    Security To prevent piracy
    Looking at the reasons mentioned above, none of which seem to benefit gamers in the slightest.

In terms of performance, Sony couldve simply opted to specify a minimum SD card class for optimum experience. It would give the consumer choice of spending cash on Sony-branded storage or some cheap, slower knock-offs.

In terms of security, well thats just on the Sony side of things now isnt it. These memory cards cant be used as a mass storage device. If you want to use it as such, you will only be access it using a proprietary Sony management program (for Mac and PC, no Linux). For games and PSN-related content, you can simply connect the Vita to your PS3.

On the upside, managing files on the Vita will be easier. The PSP relied on a specific file system (folder structure) to manage files, like games, savefiles, images, etc. According to Shimada, You do not need to remember which folder contains data on the memory card, meaning that the propriety software (or your PS3) will do it for you. Whether this feature makes the PS Vita easier to use in terms of file management or not will be revealed when the device launches and gamers have actually had time to mess around with it.

By locking things down on the storage, Sony can prevent hackers from tinkering with the PS Vita and thereafter releasing custom firmwares. In reality of course, nothing can be locked down forever and the choice of using propriety storage for the Vita is probably a two fold benefit for Sony:

use profits from the sale of memory cards to stem the loss theyll be incurring on each Vita sold.

stall the development of custom firmwares and the entry of piracy into the Vita ecosystem to attract developers

The PS Vita will release internationally on February 22, 2012.

Ghost Assassin

Oh Sony, you can defend your decision all you want; I still think it's BS. I just hope the pricing isn't actually this high.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Not going to get into an argument over the pricing right/wrong but, this one line makes me think the writer is retarded;

Looking at the reasons mentioned above, none of which seem to benefit gamers in the slightest.
    Performance benefits the player, how can it not?

And security as well benefits the player hopefully ensuring it won't go the same way with the PSP and rampant piracy.

Also they made a mistake, 3G version is $299.

And finally, they say Sony made an official statement about the pricing, is there a link to this? Because I thought it was Gamespot that posted the pricings (But as Gauss pointed out they were just converted from the Yen and not actually officially announced prices).

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Not going to get into an argument over the pricing right/wrong but, this one line makes me think the writer is retarded;

And security as well benefits the player hopefully ensuring it won't go the same way with the PSP and rampant piracy.

And finally, they say Sony made an official statement about the pricing, is there a link to this? Because I thought it was Gamespot that posted the pricings (But as Gauss pointed out they were just converted from the Yen and not actually officially announced prices).

Interview with the guy from sony (in japanese):
    y“c@‰‚RandomTrackingzPS Vita”*”„‘O‚̍ŏI•‚ŠJ”*ƒ`[ƒ€‚•‚* -AV Watch

Playstation Lifestyle article:

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011...m-soundtracks/

The One and Only

Well a PS Vita, a new game, and a Memory Card for it all together isn't easily affordable. :/

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 8 - Gold

That still doesn't confirm the cost for the cards in US$ or UK though.

PRO Member

Most people will get it when the price drop so

Lvl 8 - Gold

another case where piracy fucks it up for everybody else

Kiwi Defender

I thought the same about the performance. Can you imagine having a card that performs slowly and turns every game into a potential Skyrim? That'd suck big monkey balls.

Regarding the piracy and how it'd go the same way with the PSP, I'll bring up Minarum's recurrent argument in the "DS vs PSP" arguments: the PSP has/had a LOT of good games. Piracy or not, devs still created worth-while games for the thing, even though not every dev wanted to risk it.

Still, like the writer pointed out, piracy will begin sooner or later, it's just a matter of when, so Sony should come up with ways to ensure their service is better than some custom firmware created by Geohotz' followers.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

thats just too much money they should lower it atleast

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I thought the same about the performance. Can you imagine having a card that performs slowly and turns every game into a potential Skyrim? That'd suck big monkey balls.
    Pretty much. It's no secret the Vita is more of a digital console then it is physical media so it'll make sense for Sony to want to control the memory medium it'll use ensuring it's the fastest available for the device.

Regarding the piracy and how it'd go the same way with the PSP, I'll bring up Minarum's recurrent argument in the "DS vs PSP" arguments: the PSP has/had a LOT of good games. Piracy or not, devs still created worth-while games for the thing, even though not every dev wanted to risk it.
    I should clarify, I by no means think the PSP was a failure, I love playing on my PSP. But we missed out on ports of good Japanese games because of they couldn't justify localisation costs and piracy losses. And if I discover it's the reason Ryu Ga Gotoku PSP wasn't localised I may have to kill people.

(This outlines how bad the piracy was; PSP and DS Piracy Explained In Pictures | Siliconera)

Still, like the writer pointed out, piracy will begin sooner or later, it's just a matter of when, so Sony should come up with ways to ensure their service is better than some custom firmware created by Geohotz' followers.
    Problem with that is, it's going to come down to this, CFW allows you to play games for free, OFW does not.

What do you think people will go for?

Kiwi Defender

I should clarify, I by no means think the PSP was a failure, I love playing on my PSP. But we missed out on ports of good Japanese games because of they couldn't justify localisation costs and piracy losses. And if I discover it's the reason Ryu Ga Gotoku PSP wasn't localised I may have to kill people.

(This outlines how bad the piracy was; PSP and DS Piracy Explained In Pictures | Siliconera)

Problem with that is, it's going to come down to this, CFW allows you to play games for free, OFW does not.

What do you think people will go for?
    Come to think of it, I totally forgot about Japanese ports, but if I had to guess, what didn't allow games like RGG PSP to be ported, would indeed be piracy.

I know, but there are still "honest" people out there. If there weren't, the entertainment industry would pretty much be dead. No movies, no music, no Wii/360/DS/PSP games, and talking about the PSP once again, there wouldn't have been games like Patapon 2-3 or Dissidia 2. If anything, it's just a matter of the faith devs have on their consumers.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    , exactly.

PSP was not a failure if you look at sales. But game sales(since everything was pirated), was a disaster and a huge failure. As explained perfectly in your link. And because of that, is why the Psp did so well.

By locking things down on the storage, Sony can prevent hackers from tinkering with the PS Vita and thereafter releasing custom firmwares.
    And that alone is worth it to me. That and them going after people breaking the law on there system and games which they did with the ps3. Not granted like the article said that it is only a matter of time till it is hacked, but hopefully like I said above, that Sony goes after them.

Crocodile Hunter

they can 'defend' it all they want but we all still know its bullshit....god why does sony make something and we almost get our hopes and trust back for the company and then they fuck it up by doing this shit

Sig by Apokolypz

Resident PHD

Well you could preorder the 299.99 bundle and get a 4g card with it.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

Gamestop has prices for Vita's Memory Cards as follows:

4GB - $29.99
    8GB - $49.99
    16GB - $69.99
    32GB - $119.99

Also the highest priced games run at $39.99

Just check it out here: Gamestop.com - PS Vita Search

"PS3T.com Member Since 2009"

Trophy Guide Grand Master

I dont know what everyone is bitching about...Sony doesnt make products to be your friends or gain followers on Facebook. Sony is a company and the entire point of having a business is to make money. so your spending $400 bucks or so...big deal YOU ARE GETTING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT... even a 32GB iPod touch costs about 300 bucks and it isnt even close to being as good as the Vita....and especially when I see people that paid 150 bucks or so just to get a fucking dragon statue for SkyRim

I guess what i'm trying to say is STOP BEING CHEAP >:F>:F>:F Either pay the money and get one or don't...but when you complain about it being so expensive when it really isn't, you sound like a whiny kid...It's like going to a nice restaurant then complaining about their prices when you look at the menu

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by CurseShooter View Post
    Gamestop has prices for Vita's Memory Cards as follows:

4GB - $29.99
    8GB - $49.99
    16GB - $69.99
    32GB - $119.99

Also the highest priced games run at $39.99

Just check it out here: Gamestop.com - PS Vita Search
    That info is in the article itself you know ?

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyHasselhoff View Post
    I dont know what everyone is bitching about...Sony doesnt make products to be your friends or gain followers on Facebook. Sony is a company and the entire point of having a business is to make money. so your spending $400 bucks or so...big deal YOU ARE GETTING A SUPERIOR PRODUCT... even a 32GB iPod touch costs about 300 bucks and it isnt even close to being as good as the Vita....and especially when I see people that paid 150 bucks or so just to get a fucking dragon statue for SkyRim

I guess what i'm trying to say is STOP BEING CHEAP >:F>:F>:F Either pay the money and get one or don't...but when you complain about it being so expensive when it really isn't, you sound like a whiny kid...It's like going to a nice restaurant then complaining about their prices when you look at the menu
    or you can be one of the smarter people and wait for the price to drop.

Trophy Guide Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    or you can be one of the smarter people and wait for the price to drop.

or that too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast