Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 132

No Trophies in Pre-owned Vita Game

This is a discussion on No Trophies in Pre-owned Vita Game within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Minarum re-wrapping a game in plastic like that and selling it new would be illegal. But they ...

  1. #61
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    CaptainHowdy72's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    lost in a feeling
    Posts
    441
    Reputation
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    re-wrapping a game in plastic like that and selling it new would be illegal. But they do open up 1-2 copies around the store for the employees and when they come back, they throw a sticker over the area where the case opens up. But they will sell it for a new price when it is in fact a used game.
    I know for a fact my gamestop and at least 2 others do it, so... yeah I can guarantee its done, and encouraged. this way the employees can talk about the game

  2. #62
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    CaptainHowdy72's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    lost in a feeling
    Posts
    441
    Reputation
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Er, yes they do. I'm not going to make the argument that some anti-used gamers make about how used games are all broken blah blah blah, but there still are broken games sold as used because of shitty game shop staff not doing their jobs.

    I've brought my fair share of used games (though I don't any more). And I've had my fair share of unplayable used games due to the previous owners lack of care for the game.
    if a game is "broken" return it.... and NO they dont freeze any more than a new game thats just stupid to even say really? wipe the f`ing thing off it has smudges...
    seriously the level of stupidity ive seen around here

    and ps3 games dont really scratch unless you try to scratch it... its used, open and look at it b4 you leave the store... come on COMMON SENSE!

  3. #63
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    if a game is "broken" return it.... and NO they dont freeze any more than a new game thats just stupid to even say really? wipe the f`ing thing off it has smudges...
    seriously the level of stupidity ive seen around here

    and ps3 games dont really scratch unless you try to scratch it... its used, open and look at it b4 you leave the store... come on COMMON SENSE!
    The level of stupidity you're emitting is beyond comparison to stupidity within this forum.

    If a game is broken return it
    No fucking shit, here I was thinking you should build coffin and have a memorial service for it...


    And no they don't freeze any more then a new game
    an argument through ignorance is nothing to flaunt. Albeit the use of the word "freeze" is being misused here so let's call it what it is; Freeze shall now be referred too as "Games that be fucked up".

    Of all the new games I've owned I've never had a problem with them, of all the used games I've owned I've had problems with some.
    Ergo, used games have a higher failure rate then new games.
    Just because you've not witnessed such a failure rate doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

    And lastly;
    and ps3 games dont really scratch unless you try to scratch it... its used, open and look at it b4 you leave the store... come on COMMON SENSE!
    Just because a disc has a scratch on it doesn't mean it wont actually work. I've seen discs that look like they've been used as roller blades on a gravel surface, and they played like they were brand new. Like wise I've seen discs with the tiniest speck of a scratch on them and they've refused to even acknowledge their own existence.

    There's more to disc damage then what you see.

  4. #64
    Fox
    Fox is offline
    Si vis bellum, para pacem
    Fox's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    541
    Reputation
    84

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    if a game is "broken" return it.... and NO they dont freeze any more than a new game thats just stupid to even say really? wipe the f`ing thing off it has smudges...
    seriously the level of stupidity ive seen around here

    and ps3 games dont really scratch unless you try to scratch it... its used, open and look at it b4 you leave the store... come on COMMON SENSE!
    The level of ignorance you're showing is astounding.

    I'm all for buying used, but I'm not blind to the fact that it's a risk - a risk you don't have to take when buying new.

    Used Games aren't as reliable as New - they just aren't.

    Sure, you can look before you leave - some clerks even show you the game before you buy it - that doesn't mean there won't be a problem with it. It's quite possible for a game to have an issue with the disc that you can't see - I've had it happen to games I've bought. Disc was warped in a way that wasn't visible to the naked eye, but was bad enough that it made the game unplayable.

    Let's also take into account that, at the most, you'll likely be saving $5 or $10 off the new price. You get the game, it looks fine, so you take it home. Pop it in and Uh oh! The game no worky!.

    Drive back to the store. Burning up that money you just saved in gas you should have never had to burn.

    Even worse - buying the game used online. There's no quality control there - you can't see the game you're purchasing. Get the game, pop it in, and again - it doesn't work. There goes that money you saved again, paying to ship it back, and waiting another 3-4 days for another copy to come in, that may not work either.

    Used =/= New. In no form of reality does that even make sense. Same way buying a used car isn't the same as buying a new one - no matter how good the condition of it is. It's been driven, and is that much closer to breaking down than it was when it left the line.

    PS3 games CAN get scratched - you realize scratches don't have to be on the bottom of the disc to screw it up, right? The top can get scratched and screw it up just as bad.

    Also, encouraged =/= Legal. So what if the store encourages their employees to do that? It's bad practice and fraud. A game that's been opened and played is used - NOT new, no matter how good the disc looks - which is exactly what these companies do. They open the games, and then try to sell them as new games.

    ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

    PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

  5. #65
    Up the Irons!
    APriceless's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    3,772
    Reputation
    43

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushpig94 View Post
    Personally, while I see how this could be a problem for others, I HATE buying used games.
    Yeah me too. I guess this won't be a problem for me as long as they still sell the game new (if the game is really old).

    Toggle Spoiler


    "Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

    "You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

  6. #66
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    CaptainHowdy72's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    lost in a feeling
    Posts
    441
    Reputation
    8

    scratches that affect game play are in the picture on top of the disc, I know. never, and I mean NEVER does a game not work "just" because its used, that will NEVER affect games, unless systems can write to the media...
    aside from a scratch in the picture, a used game will always work,unless its a problem from the manufacturer.

    back to the scratches, hold the disc to the light, if any light gets through, its scratched, and means dont buy it.
    and yes, most of the time its $5- 10 but, do that 3 times and its another game. also, if you`re a rewards member you save MORE and earn points for more money off/or other useless tchotchke`s.
    lets also consider that a game isnt made new anymore, Orange Box for example, the only way to get it is used...
    so blah, blah blah waste your money I dont care, im done with this thread
    Last edited by CaptainHowdy72; 12-18-2011 at 11:09 PM.

  7. #67
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Oxymoron28's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    822
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    scratches that affect game play are in the picture on top of the disc, I know. never, and I mean NEVER does a game not work "just" because its used, that will NEVER affect games, unless systems can write to the media...
    aside from a scratch in the picture, a used game will always work,unless its a problem from the manufacturer.
    You're on a stupidity role today.

    A used game will always work? Really now? And you happen to have every single used game in existence to back that half assed statement up do you?

    You see, I don't own every used game in the world but I already know it's an utter bullshit statement.

  8. #68
    Fox
    Fox is offline
    Si vis bellum, para pacem
    Fox's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    541
    Reputation
    84

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    scratches that affect game play are in the picture on top of the disc, I know. never, and I mean NEVER does a game not work "just" because its used, that will NEVER affect games, unless systems can write to the media...

    aside from a scratch in the picture, a used game will always work,unless its a problem from the manufacturer.
    and go to gamestop on rt 1 south in saugus mass and I guarantee they have "new"games re wrapped!

    the packaging is different, AND i have not only been told this happens by the Manager Sophal, but I have 2 friends who work for 2 different stores and tell me it happens... Hell I got to play play Little Big Planet 2 that way.

    back to the scratches, hold the disc to the light, if any light gets through, its scratched, and means dont buy it.

    and yes, most of the time its $5- 10 but, do that 3 times and its another game. also, if you`re a rewards member you save MORE and earn points for more money off/or other useless tchotchke`s.

    lets also consider that a game isnt made new anymore, Orange Box for example, the only way to get it is used...
    so blah, blah blah waste your money I dont care, im done with this thread
    1.) No one is saying that Used games will fail. They are saying there is MORE OF A CHANCE that they will. That scratch will not be on a new game, unless something got screwed up on the line - in which case, it's likely thrown out and never boxed.

    2.) It doesn't matter that they are re-wrapped. It's still used. It was opened, played, and then put back and passed off as new - this is FRAUD. Do you not understand that? It is in NO WAY new. Wrapped or not.

    3.) Again, just because you can see damage, that doesn't mean it won't work, and just because you CAN'T see damage, doesn't mean it WILL. Scratches aren't the only kind of damage a disc can sustain that will screw it up. Things like cleaners can end up leaving residue on the disc that you might not see afterwards that can still mess it up. Or, like I mentioned, you could end up with a disc imperfection like a warp of some kind that you might not notice.

    You also get points from the PowerUp rewards card if you buy new and trade games in - so what's your point? Sure, you get more buying used, but that's purely because you're supporting the store, and no other reason.

    You also only save 10% - for a lot of places, that's tax, and a couple bucks. Not really that much.

    ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

    PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

  9. #69
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    CaptainHowdy72's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    lost in a feeling
    Posts
    441
    Reputation
    8

    @ Fox, your point 2 is 100% correct and I agree, that doenst mean it doenst happen.
    if "I" dont open it its "NOT NEW" I have made that complaint to my store in front of people to further my point. but it still happens.

    and the rest...

  10. #70
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    if a game is "broken" return it.... and NO they dont freeze any more than a new game thats just stupid to even say really? wipe the f`ing thing off it has smudges...
    seriously the level of stupidity ive seen around here

    and ps3 games dont really scratch unless you try to scratch it... its used, open and look at it b4 you leave the store... come on COMMON SENSE!
    Says the guy willing to take a IQ test while misreading someone's argument in another thread... First off, you only get 7 days to play the game to figure out if it is messed up or not. Some people will buy a game because of how cheap it is, but won't play it for a little while. Yes it's a fact used games have more potential to freeze up. Any used game has more potential to freeze up on anyone. Smudges isn't the problem. It's people dropping the disk on the ground, concrete, soda spills, the laser itself, etc. I've "repaired" and cleaned off a used game before with 0 signs of scratches or smudges.. The game got to a certain part and would lock up. I returned the game and got a replacement with scratches that worked just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy72 View Post
    scratches that affect game play are in the picture on top of the disc, I know. never, and I mean NEVER does a game not work "just" because its used, that will NEVER affect games, unless systems can write to the media...
    aside from a scratch in the picture, a used game will always work,unless its a problem from the manufacturer.
    and go to gamestop on rt 1 south in saugus mass and I guarantee they have "new"games re wrapped!
    the packaging is different, AND i have not only been told this happens by the Manager Sophal, but I have 2 friends who work for 2 different stores and tell me it happens... Hell I got to play play Little Big Planet 2 that way.
    back to the scratches, hold the disc to the light, if any light gets through, its scratched, and means dont buy it.
    and yes, most of the time its $5- 10 but, do that 3 times and its another game. also, if you`re a rewards member you save MORE and earn points for more money off/or other useless tchotchke`s.
    lets also consider that a game isnt made new anymore, Orange Box for example, the only way to get it is used...
    so blah, blah blah waste your money I dont care, im done with this thread
    JC... I hate making fun of people, but you make it way too easy man. Sure there are problems from the manufacturer which is a rare occurrence, but it's a fact used games have the potential to be messed up due to the previous owners. I've had it happen to one of my games when I was younger.

    As for the re-wrapping. Might wanna call the authorities then. I've never seen anyone stupid enough to re-wrap the case and sell it as new. But like I said, places like GS will put a sticker on it and call it new.

    As for saving so much money being a rewards member and buying used at gamestop. Your still spending a ton of money on a used game you can get for next to nothing on Ebay and Amazon new and used. And lastly, yes there are games that aren't being made anymore. You can pay a premium price for new or buy used. You just have to take your chances on those kinds of games.

  11. #71
    PRO Member
    Artemisthemp's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,105
    Reputation
    23

    Quote Originally Posted by lostleader View Post
    The biggest problem I see with this is that Trophies for older games will become limited or "extinct". They can't make new games forever, and digital distribution isn't exactly with every game. So for those that are not able to buy so many games at once this becomes a real headache adding time a lot sooner then later. I honestly just see this as more punishing the customer then fighting the used game market.
    All Vita game will be available on PSN on launch day

  12. #72
    The Bushiest Pig
    Bushpig94's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    894
    Reputation
    33

    Wow, I just love how I am getting all this back up from people cause Howdy as little to no clue what he is talking about

  13. #73
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    stealthkiller22's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    735
    Reputation
    6

    only trophy whores will be mad

  14. #74
    PRO Member
    whiteboyfromco's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    67
    Reputation
    1

    From personal experience, PS3 blu-ray disc are extremely durable. 70-80 % of my collection was bought used and I don't think any of them have scratches. Xbox and wii games, yes, PS3 games, no. The chances of a person buying a messed up PS3 disc are EXTREMELY low.

  15. #75
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboyfromco View Post
    From personal experience, PS3 blu-ray disc are extremely durable. 70-80 % of my collection was bought used and I don't think any of them have scratches. Xbox and wii games, yes, PS3 games, no. The chances of a person buying a messed up PS3 disc are EXTREMELY low.
    Just depends on how well the previous owners took care of their games or a previous machine, as I listed quite a few scenarios of how games do become messed up above. So it's not extremely high or low for the chances. Buying used is a risk in itself.

  16. #76
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18
    Reputation
    1

    vita keeps sounding worse and worse everytime i see a news update about it...

  17. #77
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    LiquidWeapon's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    151
    Reputation
    1

    When games like Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood or Split/Second (as a small example) show up used in game stores for $9.99, it makes it a really up-hill battle for PSN to convince me to buy online (originally disc-based games) when the same game:
    a) costs double (currently $19.99) on the PSN
    b) consumes a lot of limited monthly bandwidth (which in Canada costs more than pretty well anywhere else)
    c) offers no opportunity for re-sale or trade (unless you are account sharing)

  18. #78
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    CaptainHowdy72's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    lost in a feeling
    Posts
    441
    Reputation
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Says the guy willing to take a IQ test while misreading someone's argument in another thread... First off, you only get 7 days to play the game to figure out if it is messed up or not. Some people will buy a game because of how cheap it is, but won't play it for a little while. Yes it's a fact used games have more potential to freeze up. Any used game has more potential to freeze up on anyone. Smudges isn't the problem. It's people dropping the disk on the ground, concrete, soda spills, the laser itself, etc. I've "repaired" and cleaned off a used game before with 0 signs of scratches or smudges.. The game got to a certain part and would lock up. I returned the game and got a replacement with scratches that worked just fine.



    JC... I hate making fun of people, but you make it way too easy man. Sure there are problems from the manufacturer which is a rare occurrence, but it's a fact used games have the potential to be messed up due to the previous owners. I've had it happen to one of my games when I was younger.

    As for the re-wrapping. Might wanna call the authorities then. I've never seen anyone stupid enough to re-wrap the case and sell it as new. But like I said, places like GS will put a sticker on it and call it new.

    As for saving so much money being a rewards member and buying used at gamestop. Your still spending a ton of money on a used game you can get for next to nothing on Ebay and Amazon new and used. And lastly, yes there are games that aren't being made anymore. You can pay a premium price for new or buy used. You just have to take your chances on those kinds of games.

    1st, the iq point, well taken

    2nd, agreed, there really was no need to resort to childish name calling

    3rd, re-wrapping, its my word against theirs

    4th, i`m a little impatient, I want my gratification instantly, (a little spoiled)

    5th, well put, thank you

    6th, and lastly, back on topic, we'll have to wait and see about the Vita

  19. #79
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    bobbyblitzed's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    816
    Reputation
    35

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteboyfromco View Post
    From personal experience, PS3 blu-ray disc are extremely durable. 70-80 % of my collection was bought used and I don't think any of them have scratches. Xbox and wii games, yes, PS3 games, no. The chances of a person buying a messed up PS3 disc are EXTREMELY low.
    i have to agree with you,99% of the time a used disc is going to be as good as a new one,i have a gamefly account and out of more than 100 games i have never had a single game come to me that was defective in any way.

  20. #80
    PRO Member
    whiteboyfromco's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    67
    Reputation
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Just depends on how well the previous owners took care of their games or a previous machine, as I listed quite a few scenarios of how games do become messed up above. So it's not extremely high or low for the chances. Buying used is a risk in itself.
    My point is that the previous owner of a blu-ray disc either has to try on purpose to scratch a blu-ray, or somehow allow it to rub against a rough surface like a floor, or keys if they are putting them in their pockets bare. LMAO Blu-rays are about about 3-5 times denser than DVDs, and it's just as hard to damage them. So, when it comes to Blu-rays, the chances of finding a messed up one does become extremely low because more force has to be applied to damage it. If the DVD to Blu-ray damage ratio is the same, that means that people are taking worse care of the blu-ray disc proportional to how much stronger the disc is compared to DVDs, OR that people are treating their dics, be it Blu-rays or DVDs, the same as each other, and since Blu-rays are many times more durable, there is a clear difference in the conditions of the 2 types of discs.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO