Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

3DS Outsells Vita 6.5 to 1

This is a discussion on 3DS Outsells Vita 6.5 to 1 within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This doesn't surprise me really...

PRO Member

This doesn't surprise me really

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Japan is a small country with a lot of small stores - they have their mega-electronics stores in the big cities like anybody else, but a lot of these systems outside of the metropolis areas wouldn't have a lot of space, and probably ordered what was reserved to start with.
    Japan isnt that small. The major electronic stores are everywhere throughout Japan. If you visit Akihabara, that the major city for electronics. In the Kanto Plains area, Yokohama is the major electronic city in that area. Theres no small electronic stores that will carry game systems. Every gaming shop in my area is as big as a mc donalds. We have a Yamada Denki(basic electronic store), Dorama(music, games, and video), and Big Camera(basic electronic store). Those stores range from Hiroshima to Sapporo.

PRO Member

So if I get this right the horrible and nasty Nintendo console that 90% of posts on here say that the handheld was doomed from the start sold more units in its 1st 2 weeks of sales and the fourums favourite which was "better" couldn't beat or even match the sales figures fr its own 1st 2 weeks of sales. So by going by this board and members what do we call the "golden" console now? Since at the end of the day it was still beat* by the nasty Nintendo console.

*in terms of the 1st 2 weeks worth of sales.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by [FnG] Unholy Eve View Post
    So if I get this right the horrible and nasty Nintendo console that 90% of posts on here say that the handheld was doomed from the start sold more units in its 1st 2 weeks of sales and the fourums favourite which was "better" couldn't beat or even match the sales figures fr its own 1st 2 weeks of sales. So by going by this board and members what do we call the "golden" console now? Since at the end of the day it was still beat* by the nasty Nintendo console.

*in terms of the 1st 2 weeks worth of sales.
    It's already been explained and analyzed in the thread.

Click-Click-Kaboom

I'm not really surprise the 3DS is doing better. Nintendo has the hand consoles under control. It will be hard to beat them.

PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Sales are irrelevant if one is better . I like my 3DS, but it will collect dust when Vita drops.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

There is a legitimate reason for why the 3DS is outselling Vita in japan. Upon launch the vita has been victim to some very serious and glaring glitches. Such as not being able to charge it, not be able to turn it on, not being able to turn it off, the touch screen is not working on some systems, the wifi is pathetic in some cases, the list goes on.

The videos are all over youtube. With it's price so high and word of it's malfunctions it's no wonder it sales are low. Who in their right mind would sale their arm and leg for something that glitters but is not gold? There's no arguing that Vita has a far better collection of titles and that it is supposed and can offer more than 3ds. Sadly until the glitches are corrected Vita will not beat 3ds, and though it well explode on launch in us and europe afterwards the same thing will happen once word gets out.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Middlefingerz View Post
    There is a legitimate reason for why the 3DS is outselling Vita in japan. Upon launch the vita has been victim to some very serious and glaring glitches. Such as not being able to charge it, not be able to turn it on, not being able to turn it off, the touch screen is not working on some systems, the wifi is pathetic in some cases, the list goes on.

The videos are all over youtube. With it's price so high and word of it's malfunctions it's no wonder it sales are low. Who in their right mind would sale their arm and leg for something that glitters but is not gold? There's no arguing that Vita has a far better collection of titles and that it is supposed and can offer more than 3ds. Sadly until the glitches are corrected Vita will not beat 3ds, and though it well explode on launch in us and europe afterwards the same thing will happen once word gets out.
    There's many reasons actually why PS Vita sales are horrible in Japan, Price, Launch Titles, Malfunctions, the list can go on. Apart from that, It depends which console has the lead in Japan, In this case Wii, So for me it's logical if you own a Wii you will buy the 3Ds instead of the Vita. I dont know sony reasons to released it on Japan first but like always it's about money.
    PS4: jGezze7
    ''War... War Never Changes...... Men do, through the roads they walk.''

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by iRock View Post
    There's many reasons actually why PS Vita sales are horrible in Japan, Price, Launch Titles, Malfunctions, the list can go on. Apart from that, It depends which console has the lead in Japan, In this case Wii, So for me it's logical if you own a Wii you will buy the 3Ds instead of the Vita. I dont know sony reasons to released it on Japan first but like always it's about money.
    3DS sells close to 500,000 Japanese units in record week
    the Wii is not number 1 here.

Japan retailers cut Sony PS Vita price as Nintendo 3DS dominates
    the ps vita has to many glitches to count, i can get one but choose not to until they fix this problem. plus i like wifi.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    since everyone on this board was saying that the 3DS Isn't anything good and not worth buying, if it's outselling the vita 6 times, what does that say about the vita?
    OK that is a really stupid comment, that would be like saying McDonalds is better than the homestyle burger joint down the street because it sells more. More sales doesn't equal a better system.

The 3ds is 80$ cheaper, and people may just be waiting for the Vita to drop in price before they pick it up.
    The 3ds just released a Mario and Mario kart game within weeks of each other which will obviously pick up sales
    Also I hate to say it but with Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts coming to 3ds soon it is no wonder the Japanese are picking one up. Monster Hunter basically saved the PSP.

The 3ds launched with Uncharted which is more a Western game, so if given the choice the Japanese will probably pick Mario or Monster Hunter over Uncharted.

I think Sony screwed up and should have launched in NA first and it would have been a different story, hopefully they will learn for next time.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    since everyone on this board was saying that the 3DS Isn't anything good and not worth buying, if it's outselling the vita 6 times, what does that say about the vita?
    popĚuĚlar [pop-yuh-ler]
    adjective
    1. regarded with favor, approval, or affection by people in general: a popular preacher.

betĚter [bet-er]
    adjective, compar. of good with best as superl.
    1. of superior quality or excellence: a better coat; a better speech.

What do these two have to do with each-other again?

You can do alot with sales figures... It can be used as evidence to justify a superior business model because it provides one piece of the puzzle. It can be used as evidence of superior marketing strategies or the acceptance of a product by the masses. It can be used for trending, spending analysis, market shares, and can even infer success/failure.

One thing it doesn't do: Correlate with quality.

Once again I find it funny you say things like this with the tagline you have. I have some recommended reading for you:
    Amazon.com: Sweet Reason: A Field Guide to Modern Logic (9781444337150): James M. Henle, Jay L. Garfield, Thomas Tymoczko, Emily Altreuter: Books

Good book, you may be able to justify that tagline after reading it.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    The 3ds is 80$ cheaper, and people may just be waiting for the Vita to drop in price before they pick it up.
    The 3ds just released a Mario and Mario kart game within weeks of each other which will obviously pick up sales
    Also I hate to say it but with Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts coming to 3ds soon it is no wonder the Japanese are picking one up. Monster Hunter basically saved the PSP.

The 3ds launched with Uncharted which is more a Western game, so if given the choice the Japanese will probably pick Mario or Monster Hunter over Uncharted.
    Well according to the rumors that have been popping up like crazy in the last 24 hours all around the internet, there is supposedly a Monster Hunter title coming the VITA's way this year. So I think Sony is doing what they can at this point to try and bring in some more people and work on that whole "damage control" thing.

Source: Report: Monster Hunter Coming To Vita - VITA News at IGN

----

I think that if the 3G version is going to have any type of life, the best option would be to find a really good deal with whatever service provider they are having, and make it so that if you sign a 2-year contract or something along those lines, that you can get the 3G Vita for something like $50-100.

Another option, that is slightly cheaper, would be to throw in free game(s) to the mix, when you sign up for the 3G service, and a rewards system for remaining a customer for certain time periods, that would get you additional free titles for being with the provider for 3-month, 6-month, etc;.

By now it's quite obvious that the current system pricing, and advertising is not working, especially for the 3G version (surprise!) so I think Sony needs to either continue to bring in a lot more third party support to build a library that makes it more enticing, quickly - or a significant price cut is going to be required, or a couple free games thrown in with the system.

We'll see what happens in the future weeks, but I would be willing to say that with the numbers presented so far for sales of the VITA, that it has been a disappointment on the initial front in Japan.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Say what you want about Nintendo, but they know how to make money.

I believe a lot of the Vita's thunder was stolen by Nintendo when they released two new Mario games and Monster Hunter just as the Vita launched. They're a wily bunch.

That's not to say Sony didn't deserve it to some extent. Prices and glitches have been mentioned, but I'd like to add their lack of/bad marketing. I saw a lot more marketing of Mario Kart 7 when I was in Tokyo for the Vita launch than I saw Vita ads.

I would also have liked to see them capitalize on their advantage more: PS3/PSN. Nintendo's online is a joke, both for 3DS and Wii. There should be bundles, aggressive discounts on PSN (especially for Plus members), more cross-console play, and more incentives to own both consoles. In fact, Sony should institute a policy where all future PSN games followed the "buy 1 get both" system of Motorstorm RC. In other words, every PSN game should be playable on both consoles by buying just one copy of the game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123