I am guessing the Vita Uses the Android OS, Here's why.

This is a discussion on I am guessing the Vita Uses the Android OS, Here's why. within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; For those who don't know basic android knowledge, here's some simple pointers: - Android is open source, which means anyone ...

INTJ

I am guessing the Vita Uses the Android OS, Here's why.

For those who don't know basic android knowledge, here's some simple pointers:

- Android is open source, which means anyone can take the code and use it for anything they possibly want. they can sell it, edit it and release it for free, etc. and the guy who made it can get absolutely zero profits out of it (unless the guy/company that made it does a partnership deal like google and samsung do with the Galaxy Nexus and stuff.)

- Android can be used for a number of things, Android clock, Android GPS system, Anything really. As long as the programmers have enough know how android can be used for a wide range of everything (Android Fridge anyone?)

Sony And Android Have recently started to fall in love with each other recently. Because of that, sony is basically shitting out anything they make that is mobile and isn't a laptop android related in some sort. Tablets, Phones, Music players, You name it Sony is Making it Android now/in the future.

when the Pictures of Sony Vita's UI Popped up, I was noticing some Similarities from Android. Here's some examples:

See the Black bar on the very top? That's Very similar to a Gingerbread OS Android Taskbar. Here's a Example from a Gingerbread Phone:

Besides the Bars Asthetic Design, They look very very similar. Battery and clock are in the same place (switched around) with the battery having a different logo, the only thing out of place is that the Connection Icon is on the far left, which is not a bad idea so you can avoid clutter.

The Second part of the theroy is the fact that Sony's SDK suite is coming out soon. It Mainly will be for Vita most likely.

But guess what else it supports?

Non-Sony Android Devices.

There is absolutely no reason to support this on a Vita SDK. The only reason i can think of is that the vita runs on Android's OS. There isn't another way to explain it. Why would sony Add android support if there's already a fully loaded SDK out for it from Android's Dev team and it's open source?

Till America gets it i don't think we will get a good answer. If it is Android i can't wait to see what happens since android is open source.
    Last edited by Ps360; 12-30-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Crocodile Hunter

well i highly doubt its gonna be apple iOS

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 8 - Gold

See I remember somewhere Sony said the Vita would run on android OS, but there were so many articles countering that, and nothing was ever said of it again.

Some have suggested it's a heavily modified version of android os but... i just dunno.

the vita is meant to bridge the gap between handheld gaming and little phone games, so it'll make sense to use android for it really.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    See I remember somewhere Sony said the Vita would run on android OS, but there were so many articles countering that, and nothing was ever said of it again.

Some have suggested it's a heavily modified version of android os but... i just dunno.

the vita is meant to bridge the gap between handheld gaming and little phone games, so it'll make sense to use android for it really.

It makes sense.

the only problem is if it's true, that means every game they make can run on android AND You can throw the VITA OS onto other android products if you give people enough time (Crack OS+Time to optimize for products).

People can also claim it to be a emulator also, thus can't get hit by Sony lawsuits (Sony did a ninth circuit court case involving if a emulator should be legal or not, they lost and emulators were declared legal)

ultra-mega-piracy issue there. Can't wait to play all my games i buy on my prime.
    Last edited by Ps360; 01-01-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Team Dingleberry

Using an open source OS on a device in which Sony has taken several other anti-piracy measures on doesn't make much sense. But the similarities are there, no doubt. If it does in fact run Android, it'll be jailbroken in no time.

Lvl 9 - Gold

O.o, I wouldn't know about everything else you've talked about but your first point referring to the UI and the very top with the battery and wifi stuff... That's been a standard layout for phones and devices long before Android and iphones came out. So of course it has similarities with other devices and OS's, not just Androids. The comparison pics really doesn't help that case either.

But I am curious as to how this will work if they really do run a Android OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    People can also claim it to be a emulator also, thus can't get hit by Sony lawsuits (Sony did a ninth circuit court case involving if a emulator should be legal or not, they lost and emulators were declared legal)

ultra-mega-piracy issue there. Can't wait to play all my games i buy on my prime.
    Yah, not a fan of that lawsuit. I think emulators should only be made legal when the product created to do (A), goes out of business or discontinues.

IE, want to play a Playstation 3 game? Buy and use a ps3. If the Ps3 is discontinued or goes out of business, then make it legal to use the emulator because people can buy games, but once a system is gone. You have no other choice except to buy used online or at a store if they have it.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

but who cares

Kal
    Lvl 4 - Silver

Well maybe its running its own Special OS...?

like maybe they called it the Sondroid? a mixture between something they mixed up and android?

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    Well maybe its running its own Special OS...?

like maybe they called it the Sondroid? a mixture between something they mixed up and android?
    No, they call it Android. Each company's version of Android OS is a little different. Compare HTC's, Samsung's, and Motorola's, there's a big difference in the look and feel, but it is still Android OS. It's probably just Sony putting their own touches on the Android OS and making it centered around gaming.

Anyway, I hope that it is Android, so we can have rooted Vitas with homebrew .

Retired TGT Member

is it true that anyone can sell android code for free? that seems dubious to me

Team Dingleberry

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    is it true that anyone can sell android code for free? that seems dubious to me
    The OS itself is offered free by Google for use by any hardware manufacturer willing to produce a device that meets the minimum hardware requirements. Google makes its money through the Android Market. Manufacturers are also free to develop on top of it and extend the OS as they so desire. HTC has a very unique Android interface, for example.

Retired TGT Member

Quote Originally Posted by simula67 View Post
    The OS itself is offered free by Google for use by any hardware manufacturer willing to produce a device that meets the minimum hardware requirements. Google makes its money through the Android Market. Manufacturers are also free to develop on top of it and extend the OS as they so desire. HTC has a very unique Android interface, for example.
    well then, good to know

Administrator

Semi Open Source for the win, lol. But this is cool.
    I had a threesome last night, there were a couple of no shows but I still had a good time!

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by kenady15 View Post
    but who cares
    If you don't care, don't post on this thread. Simple as that. :stare:

Anyway I don't have an Android, but it sounds alot better than AT&T!

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    If you don't care, don't post on this thread. Simple as that. :stare:

Anyway I don't have an Android, but it sounds alot better than AT&T!
    AT&T has tons of Android phones, i am using one of theirs right now (samsung galaxy S2)

kinda sucks to know they will be announcing the Samsung GS3 within 2 months but the S2 didn't even appear till october in the US so who cares.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I for one have been hoping for the Vita to run some kind of Android version, to open up the the device for more potential users and to basically make it a mini Android tablet as well as an awesome game console.

However, I am almost completely certain it does not. For one thing, Android is open-source, that much is true. But what a lot of people don't realize is that even though open-source means that you don't pay for the license and you may modify the code, there are other requirements in the license (and yes, it is still a license. You are bound by an actual agreement when using it).

One such requirement is preservation of copyright notice. In short, that means that you cannot modify Android code and put it on your device in secret, calling it LiveArea or whatever. You have to put in somewhere that the software is based on Android. If Sony had done so, anyone with a Vita would be able to see in system info or wherever that the software is based on Android.

About the possibility of jailbreaking/loading homebrew if it were Android, I'm not so sure about that either. The Kindle Fire uses a fork of Android, but is apparently quite locked down to using Amazon's own apps and services, as well as those Amazon sells through its own app store. People have rooted it so they can install another version of Android on it, but AFAIK it then ceases to be a Kindle Fire and is just a 7-inch vanilla Android tablet.

A parallel situation for the Vita (again, if it ran Android, which I am certain it does not) would be that you could either use it as intended for Vita games and access to your PSN account etc. or as a vanilla Android tablet where you could install any kind of Android app etc. But you could not do both at the same time.

PRO Member

Till America gets it i don't think we will get a good answer. If it is Android i can't wait to see what happens since android is open source.
    Android is open source, but its open via Apache... Meaning modified versions of the code don't have to observe the same practices necessarily. Its Copyfree, not Copyleft.

So if VITA is an Android platform, which is incredibly likely, doesn't mean VITA's version of Android is open.

Particularly in this case the platform would be heavily modified to accommodate the difference in principle between the VITA and a smartphone, and the firmware (much like android smartphones) is still proprietary.

Still, if the VITA and Playstation Suite share an SDK, they must share a run-time environment. Unless the SDK literally has 2 kits in it, but the information I have implies they are the same. Same run-time environment means VITA is atleast using the Android runtime environment.

the only problem is if it's true, that means every game they make can run on android AND You can throw the VITA OS onto other android products if you give people enough time (Crack OS+Time to optimize for products).

Well I wouldn't say running Android is a piracy issue, Sony is not trying to make money on the OS and as long as they design their Sandbox well and keep things properly layered you won't see anymore piracy than any other platform.

Also the result of that emulator case has nothing to do with piracy, atleast not directly. Emulating the Playstation Suite on another Android device and playing VITA games is, and never was, considered piracy. In your example you still have to buy the VITA games, hence Sony is still getting their money from the license-usage.

Actually most of that case you referenced was in the vein of fair-use law and does emulating Sony's BIOS for the purpose of competing with them fall under that protection.

The basic ruling is that copyright law can't be used to create a monopoly, so long as licensing is maintained Sony has to permit competition.

It'd be the same logic as someone cracking the iOS, copying it, and releasing a competing device that used all of Apple's stuff (say a legitimate gaming device that played App Store Apps). As long as you are preserving the App Store purchase process/licenses and just emulating the run-time environment, Apple has to allow you to compete with them.
    Last edited by Gauss; 01-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The vita is a lot more locked down than Android. Homebrew is what led to the pirating of the psp. Sorry but most of us here don't condone hacking the system. There is a community online trying just that google search PSV hacks, I guess, although I personally would rather support the system and its developers IPhone Source Code | Android Source Code