Vita's weak sales in japan = Japan price cuts

This is a discussion on Vita's weak sales in japan = Japan price cuts within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS Vita’s weak sales prompt price cuts in Japan - SlashGear Retailers in Japan have begun unofficially slashing prices on ...

INTJ

Vita's weak sales in japan = Japan price cuts

PS Vita’s weak sales prompt price cuts in Japan - SlashGear

Retailers in Japan have begun unofficially slashing prices on Sony’s PS Vita next-gen portable gaming device after disappointing sales continued through the holiday. The PS Vita debuted in Japan last month to initial sales of 321,000 units in the first two days. However, that number quickly sunk to a paltry 72,479 units by the second week, a very low figure compared to the second-week sales of rival Nintendo’s 3DS back in February of last year and is still flying off shelves.

The discounts being offered on the PS Vita are said to be as much as 20 percent, but only on the more expensive 3G version of the device. Apparently, the 3G version isn’t moving and it’s understandable given the added cost for the 3G capability itself plus the extra cellular data plan that would be required. Here in the US, that means signing up with AT&T for either a $14.99 per month plan for 250MB or a $25 per month plan for 2GB.

The PS Vita is set to debut stateside starting February 22 along with the release of several game titles for the device. GameStop has already posted pricing and arrival estimates for the PS Vita and its accessories, listing the WiFi-only version at $249.99 and the WiFi-plus-3G version at $299.99. Games are priced at around $39.99. It’ll be interesting to see how the PS Vita is received here and if we’ll also be seeing a price cut.

being sold for 326$ now.

good deal i guess for japan people/ people who want one early.

The One and Only

The PS Vita should get a price cut. One reason why I'm waiting so long to get it is because $250 in just a couple months isn't something I can afford.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Kiwi Defender

Now watch it's sales boom like the 3DS' lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Retired TGT Member

= price cut for VITA in US? that would be sweet. don't particularly want the 3G version though

PRO Member

This is a good idea because in just a year the landscape of the portable gaming market has changed.

I still say Sony would be better off effectively giving the VITAs away and adopting a hybrid loss leader/service model. Sell the VITAs at a loss if you have to and drive your accessory margins down to the bare minimum. Offer a bunch of great services (cloud gaming, customized interfaces, etc)...

Then "micro-transaction" the fuck outta people.

Make games smaller, non-complete experiences. Do away with 40 USD games, sell that same 40 USD game in 10 chunks for 5 bucks a chunk. Releases a bunch of "VITA minis" for a dollar or two a piece. Do what Steam does and put an overhead charge on the publisher on every transaction.

Statistically speaking you'd make more money, after all thats what customers in portable gaming seem to want. Thats also what all these people at Forbes and all these market analysts want you to do too.

Seriously though, I am joking just a bit with the above statement. I don't like it, but its clear thats what people want... I'd rather games be complete experiences and I'm willing to pay for them, but again its clear thats not what people want.

Its unreasonable for me to expect a company to lose money, and atleast this would make a legit gaming system that felt different from the rest. Who knows, maybe it would be better in every measurable way to the point where I didn't mind LittleBigPlanet VITA being sold in one game and 7 level packs.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

PRO Member

This is a good idea because in just a year the landscape of the portable gaming market has changed.

I still say Sony would be better off effectively giving the VITAs away and adopting a hybrid loss leader/service model. Sell the VITAs at a loss if you have to and drive your accessory margins down to the bare minimum. Offer a bunch of great services (cloud gaming, customized interfaces, etc)...

Then "micro-transaction" the fuck outta people.

Make games smaller, non-complete experiences. Do away with 40 USD games, sell that same 40 USD game in 10 chunks for 5 bucks a chunk. Releases a bunch of "VITA minis" for a dollar or two a piece. Do what Steam does and put an overhead charge on the publisher on every transaction.

Statistically speaking you'd make more money, after all thats what customers in portable gaming seem to want. Thats also what all these people at Forbes and all these market analysts want you to do too.

Seriously though, I am joking just a bit with the above statement. I don't like it, but its clear thats what people want... I'd rather games be complete experiences and I'm willing to pay for them, but again its clear thats not what people want.

Its unreasonable for me to expect a company to lose money, and atleast this would make a legit gaming system that felt different from the rest. Who knows, maybe it would be better in every measurable way to the point where I didn't mind LittleBigPlanet VITA being sold in one game and 7 level packs.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.