SCEE: Playstation vita is for girls

This is a discussion on SCEE: Playstation vita is for girls within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/pl...-is-for-girls/ Sony believes that the upcoming release of the PlayStation Vita will better allow the company to target a female ...

INTJ

SCEE: Playstation vita is for girls

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/pl...-is-for-girls/

Sony believes that the upcoming release of the PlayStation Vita will better allow the company to target a female audience, in a way it hasn't been able to in the past. In a recent interview, Jim Ryan of SCEE said that the company is focused on capitalizing on the previously "untapped holy grail", which is the female gaming demographic.

Ryan told Edge Magazine, "That audience is obviously the untapped holy grail... We're hopeful that the rather less intimidating interface possibilities that Vita offers may make that market potentially more accessible."

How will Sony capitalize on this demographic? Ryan wasn't as forthright with his answer. " Some of the things as yet unrevealed on the content side are exploring that."

The PS Vita launches in Japan in just days, with a worldwide release staggering its way into 2012.

oh

ok then.

guess that thing i posted earlier about Spain+Porcugal SCE exec was true

cue "girls wanna have fun"
    Last edited by Ps360; 01-03-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Old news is old.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AizawaYuuichi View Post
    Old news is old.
    nah, the guy from spain portugal said it a few months ago

This is a diffrent guy from SCEE saying it in Edge magazine this week.

Proud Greek Gamer

Admit it.You now thought twice about getting Vita.

Signature and Avatar made by the awesome TheGeneral09

PRO Member

I guess vita isn't for me since I'm neither a girl or a woman.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yes, as we all know, trying to reach an untapped marked means abandoning all existing customers.

PRO Member

Am I misreading the subtext of that statement... Or is he confusing gaming girls with casual gamers?

I know you had nothing to do with designing or developing the VITA SCEE, but the "female gaming demographic" isn't intimidated by interfaces. The "female gaming demographic" is just as interested in gaming as any male, thats what makes them female gamers. They will invest the same amount of effort in getting through it as a male.

What bugs me more is this statement seems to conflict basic HMI rationality. Its almost implying that you'd build a different interface based on the customer demographic. A good interface should work well (i.e. be logically organized and navigable) by most people. The only difference in demographics is how much of a design variance they will put up with.

You don't design an interface for women differently than men or casual vs hardcore though... Allowing customization/looks/etc (things that are preferences) is different, but that you should allow your customer to decide on because that won't be consistent person to person.

You'll only tap that "holy grail" through software that caters toward their desires, whatever your market execs say that is. Although I'm sure you aren't listening to them.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Ohhh noooo! must cancel my pre-order now!

Currently Working On- Borderlands 2 52% Resistance: Burning Skies 40%

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by w1n5t0n View Post
    Admit it.You now thought twice about getting Vita.
    No, I didn't.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Proud Greek Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    No, I didn't.

Signature and Avatar made by the awesome TheGeneral09

Lvl 9 - Gold

Nice song....oh yeah this was about something else
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 3 - Bronze

As someone else has said, what about the Vita has anything to do with a strictly "female demographic"? If anything, they're tapping into whatever the Wii/DS is tapping into... whatever you want to call that.