Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Should I get this or a 3ds?

This is a discussion on Should I get this or a 3ds? within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Minarum You also listed 2 games that have been made 10x over as a good line up. ...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    You also listed 2 games that have been made 10x over as a good line up. If you enjoy remakes of old games or constant releases of the same game, by all means. The 3ds is for those people.
    super mario land isn't a remake of a game and if you played it you would of noticed a massive gameplay diffrence when compared to the other games. the whole game has a massively diffrent feel.

mario kart 7 is also not a remake, car customization, shitloads of new tracks and older tracks updated for the new features in this game, First person viewing, flying, etc.

Kal
    Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    super mario land isn't a remake of a game and if you played it you would of noticed a massive gameplay diffrence when compared to the other games. the whole game has a massively diffrent feel.

mario kart 7 is also not a remake, car customization, shitloads of new tracks and older tracks updated for the new features in this game, First person viewing, flying, etc.

There is a first person in Mario Kart 7 now?
    As in like you can see the steering wheel?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Super Mario Land was released for the gameboy in 89. By all means, how does that not make it a remake? You can spice it up all you want and try to bend the meaning of words all you want. But I've quoted you, and so has other people. What do you call a game with the same name that is released 22 years apart? A remake. Now as far as new features and different gameplay. Compared to the original? Yah sure, I agree. But compared to whats on the N64-Wii, no. Not really.

Read what you quoted me again.

You also listed 2 games that have been made 10x over as a good line up. If you enjoy remakes of old games or constant releases of the same game, by all means. The 3ds is for those people.
    +1 for failing to read as usual. Just because you throw in 1-2 new features, doesn't make it a totally separate game from the others. Now watching quite a few videos on it already. It looks identical to the Wii's Mario Kart and the GC's Mario Kart Double Dash, just without the 2nd character on your back. So sorry, It is just another release of the same game, but on a different console/handheld. Theres nothing bad about that, but don't rave about it being a great lineup item when it's not even original.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

The vita hands down,
    my brother got a 3ds this Christmas, and im not at all impressed by it.

Platinum Trophies im working on

Toggle Spoiler

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    There is a first person in Mario Kart 7 now?
    As in like you can see the steering wheel?
    Yes but you can't see any hands so it is really weird. Why didn't Nintendo program hands into their game, how much extra time would that have taken.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    Hmmm.. well idk what to say.
    The only reason I haven't gotten a 3DS is because there's no pokemon games requiring it lol

And for the VITA.. i really don't know how to feel about it.
    This^ Even if all the games are the same, I loves me some Pokémon.
    But right now, I would go with the Vita. It seems to have the most impressive tech, which can lead to well designed games.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Yes but you can't see any hands so it is really weird. Why didn't Nintendo program hands into their game, how much extra time would that have taken.
    because first person mode enables Gyroscope for turning (not required to do, you can still turn normally).

it's essentially using your hands instead of in-game hands, to add immersion.

Super Mario Land was released for the gameboy in 89. By all means, how does that not make it a remake?

Because the Gameplay is entirely different in almost every single way possible? Just because it uses the name doesn't mean it's a remake.

also it's technically the 3rd game in the SML series. so the 3 Is in that title whether or not you wanna remove the 3d part.

The One and Only

I wouldn't recommend it, but it all depends on if there's enough games for the 3DS you want to buy. If there's only two or three games you want, maybe shelling out a couple hundred dollars isn't necessarily your money's worth, but if there's alot of games you would want to try out for the 3DS, go right ahead.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Resident PHD

because first person mode enables Gyroscope for turning (not required to do, you can still turn normally).

it's essentially using your hands instead of in-game hands, to add immersion.
    No I know you can tilt the 3ds to move, but it doesn't add immersion because the steering wheel moves back and force with ghost hands.

That would be like a FPS where the gun just floated on screen with nothing holding it up. It is a small thing and not worth not buying it over, but Nintendo shouldn't have been lazy and added in some sort of graphics there (it's not like their stuff is high rez so it wouldn't have been hard.)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    No I know you can tilt the 3ds to move, but it doesn't add immersion because the steering wheel moves back and force with ghost hands.
    Most of the time game companies do that with steering wheels because it's unnecessary visual input. you need to see more of the track.

i can name a few games that did that if i can think hard enough (Vigilante 8 was one)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Because the Gameplay is entirely different in almost every single way possible? Just because it uses the name doesn't mean it's a remake.
    A 22+ year old game, of course it will be different in almost every way. But the gameplay compared to all of the other Marios, is not different at all.

also it's technically the 3rd game in the SML series. so the 3 Is in that title whether or not you wanna remove the 3d part.
    The 3d could mean part 3, or that the game is in 3d. There are a bunch of 3ds games with 3d in it.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    where is Ps360 when you need her?
    i thought ps360 was a dude?

anyway a 3DS has alot of kiddie games for my taste
    vita might have the same thing idk but all my favorite titles are going to be on it
    not to mention i can continue my games on the go
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Lvl 2 - Bronze

You should wait a year to see which has more games to your liking. Both are relatively new, so neither really has a great library yet, so you might end up picking the wrong one if you choose now. On the other hand, you should end up getting both anyway in the end, if their respective libraries are as good as the PSP/DS.

If you really need one of the two now, I got a 3DS myself, and I don't regret my choice at all. I haven't experienced a Vita yet so I can't really say which one is "better", though.

Currently Playing-- Eternal Sonata (PS3), Majora's Mask (N64), Bowser's Inside Story (DS), Darksiders (PS3), Maken X (DC)

INTJ

A 22+ year old game, of course it will be different in almost every way. But the gameplay compared to all of the other Marios, is not different at all.
    actually it is.

unlike the newer modern marios like galaxy and super mario 64, this game doesn't use a life bar or a breathing bar at all. it completely abandons it for a system similar to the old platforming marios (get damaged = Small mario, mushrooms = big mario, etc.) Unlimited underwater breathing and mechanics similar to the platforming sidescroller style. but the modern part is that it isn't a sidescrolling game, it's a Adventure-game Style Gameplay like the modern games galaxy and SM64. it's basically a giant combo of the two gameplay styles with new game elements added in (the visual binoculars which reveal secret powerups and paths, the mystery boxes, teleporting cubes, 3D Tricks and effects, etc.)

It feels completely different to any mario game there was. and it's still awesome.

hell, it even has the old platforming level stuff where they hide secret level sections and stuff (sorta like the star highway stuff or whatever that place was called in super mario world)

There is also only two other Super mario Land Games before it. Thus since this is the 3rd one the 3 will be in the title reguardless of it being 3D or not.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

unlike the newer modern marios like galaxy and super mario 64, this game doesn't use a life bar or a breathing bar at all. it completely abandons it for a system similar to the old platforming marios ... it's a Adventure-game Style Gameplay like the modern games galaxy and SM64. it's basically a giant combo of the two gameplay styles with new game elements added in ...

hell, it even has the old platforming level stuff where they hide secret level sections and stuff (sorta like the star highway stuff or whatever that place was called in super mario world)
    What I'm getting from this is what Minarum said: they are mainly rehashing old Mario ideas. They mix them up a little, add a few features, but basically: the same game.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by TJOHO! View Post
    What I'm getting from this is what Minarum said: they are mainly rehashing old Mario ideas. They mix them up a little, add a few features, but basically: the same game.
    Exactly. It says it's a totally different game, then goes on to confirm everything I've said all along... JC...
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Don't bother with the 3DS. Most of the game library is nothing but remakes.

"Hitomi. Lei Fang. Powerup!"
    Mains in DOA5: Lei Fang, Helena, and Hitomi
    PSN Gamertag: CassSophFan

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TJOHO! View Post

every fps/rpg/rts/etc. genre is a rehash, they take some old game ideas, mix them up a little, add a few features, but it's basically the same game.

thanks to this logic i finally found out Dragon age is a rehash of final fantasy I, Battlefield 3 of a rehash of doom, etc.

Resident PHD

every fps/rpg/jrpg/rts/every fucking genre is a rehash, they take some old game ideas, mix them up a little, add a few features, but it's basically the same game
    I had this discussion with a friend of mine a couple of days ago. We were talking about Mario and Uncharted. Now no one is going to argue that UC3 plays very similar to UC2 but with some minor differences (much like Mario) The big difference is is that UC has a compelling storyline so it feels like you are playing a new game. Mario doesn't have a storyline (well the new ones kind of do but it sucks so bad you wish they would just leave it out) so it feels like you are playing the same game over and over.

This, to me, is one of Nintendo's main faults. 99% of their games have terrible or no story at all so they feel more like DLC than new games. The new Mario is fun, but it feels like it should have been a 15$ downloadable game instead of a full priced retail game.

INTJ

so games need a storyline to be original.

this must be why games like scribblenauts, little big planet, minecraft, terraria, and garrys mod are so popular

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast