Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony tries to put a happy spin on the sales decline

This is a discussion on Sony tries to put a happy spin on the sales decline within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony puts a happy spin on Vita sales decline | The Verge Well, what else are they going to do? ...

INTJ

Sony tries to put a happy spin on the sales decline

Sony puts a happy spin on Vita sales decline | The Verge

Well, what else are they going to do? Vita is currently in fourth place in Japan console sales, behind the dominant 3DS, and Sony's own PS3 and PSP. The downward trend is a little disconcerting for a brand new console (and the whole Japanese games market decline is disconcerting for everybody), but Sony apparently doesn't see it this way. Speaking to GameSpot, director of hardware marketing John Koller said the "satisfaction rate is really high," and implied that poor sales are partially due to how many Vitas they've been able to get to market. Additionally, John said the current numbers matched Sony's own forecasts.

Funnily enough, the line about word-of-mouth is the same thing we've been hearing from Microsoft all week about Windows Phone market share. With the 3DS heating up after a sharp price cut (due to its own lackluster start), the Vita has an uphill battle as it enters the US market at $249.99. Luckily for Sony, the Vita's impressive graphics could give it some serious staying power once the machine comes down a bit in price, but we'd imagine Sony wouldn't mind selling a few more of these up front. A bird in the hand and all that.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Ps360

PRO Member

you know PS360....its ok that you want to post news all the time, even the fact that your post are mainly bad news about Sony is tolerable...but once in a while it would be nice to see some good news don't have to be good news about Sony just good news in general

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rune2303 View Post
    you know PS360....its ok that you want to post news all the time, even the fact that your post are mainly bad news about Sony is tolerable...but once in a while it would be nice to see some good news don't have to be good news about Sony just good news in general
    You ask way too much from Ps360

Sig by Smashguy

Buy my book, Alteration

Another take-a-dump-on-Vita thread by Ps360? I never would've guessed.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    You ask way too much from Ps360
    afraid you're right still had to try

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

PRO Member

I have read a few good posts by PS360 some very interesting

PRO Member

Well if all the news is bad it's not ps360s fault he is just putting down the current news about Sony it's not his fault for sonys failures

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsminion View Post
    I have read a few good posts by PS360 some very interesting
    Is this one of them? :stare:

Sig by Smashguy

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalman123 View Post
    Another take-a-dump-on-Vita thread by Ps360? I never would've guessed.
    Yeah, like we really needed someone else to take a massive shit on the Vita.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Kiwi Defender

Not sure if I should believe Koller that the bad sales are due to low availability or not .

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Yeah, like we really needed someone else to take a massive shit on the Vita.
    Indeed, it's already shitting on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by patienceofkaori View Post
    Well if all the news is bad it's not ps360s fault he is just putting down the current news about Sony it's not his fault for sonys failures
    Kind of true.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

it would be nice to see some good news don't have to be good news about Sony just good news in general
    i chuckle at your optimism

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Resident PHD

In all fairness Nintendo did the same thing last spring when the 3ds sales were in the tank. I still remember Reggie saying "it has an unprecedented library of games" translation "No company has ever released this many shit games at once".

The 3ds had terrible sales and it was released world-wide, the vita has bad sales right now but wait until it releases world wide. Don't forget the 3ds was being beaten by the psp some weeks and it only is now getting some steam (price drop and 3 major releases in a row, one of which is Monster hunter which can save any console in japan).

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

afraid you're right still had to try
    for trying

Sig by Smashguy

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    The 3ds had terrible sales and it was released world-wide, the vita has bad sales right now but wait until it releases world wide. Don't forget the 3ds was being beaten by the psp some weeks and it only is now getting some steam (price drop and 3 major releases in a row, one of which is Monster hunter which can save any console in japan).
    While I agree that sales will surely get better with the worldwide release, I doubt they'll be as huge as Sony or you are hoping they will be. Japan is Japan and Sony has always been strong there. If it ain't selling well there, it'll probably disappoint everywhere.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    While I agree that sales will surely get better with the worldwide release, I doubt they'll be as huge as Sony or you are hoping they will be. Japan is Japan and Sony has always been strong there. If it ain't selling well there, it'll probably disappoint everywhere.
    But the 3ds wasn't selling well either but that picked up eventually with a price drop and releases. I think Sony has their work cut out for them but people seem to be forgetting 6 months ago it was a much different story for Nintendo and they were in serious trouble as well.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    But the 3ds wasn't selling well either but that picked up eventually with a price drop and releases. I think Sony has their work cut out for them but people seem to be forgetting 6 months ago it was a much different story for Nintendo and they were in serious trouble as well.
    Yeah, but isn't the whole "VIta > 3DS" argument based on the "VITA has gamez!!" line? I believe that by the time the aforementioned 'gamez' start coming out, Sony will do a price-cut a la Nintendo and then the sales will start picking up, with or without the 'gamez'.

Toggle Spoiler

Crocodile Hunter

I was going to buy it at launch but not anymore for the Australian price + you have to buy a game + the memory card thing + the 3G plan if you want it.....wayy too much, might as well go and buy a 2nd PS3 to boost with myself lol

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Japan is Japan and Sony has always been strong there. If it ain't selling well there, it'll probably disappoint everywhere.
    How well a console does in Japan is not indicative of how well it will do in the rest of the world. Take the Xbox 360 for example, you'll have problems giving one away in Japan but in the rest of the world its sales are on par with PS3. Go back in time a bit to the NEC PC Engine/Turbo Grafx 16 which outsold both the Sega and Nintendo offerings in Japan but ended up in a poultry 3rd place outside of Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    I was going to buy it at launch but not anymore for the Australian price + you have to buy a game + the memory card thing + the 3G plan if you want it.....wayy too much, might as well go and buy a 2nd PS3 to boost with myself lol
    With a price tag of AUS $349 for the Wi Fi model and AUD $419 for the 3G model I can see your point. But GAME (previously known as Game Wizzards) have a pre-order offer which also includes a copy of Ridge Racer (ok, not the best game, but still decent) as well as the normal pre-order pack. Still expensive but the best deal I've found so far for Aussies looking to get one.

Now playing
    EVE ONLINE
    Who needs a life anyway

PRO Member

Yeah, but isn't the whole "VIta > 3DS" argument based on the "VITA has gamez!!" line? I believe that by the time the aforementioned 'gamez' start coming out, Sony will do a price-cut a la Nintendo and then the sales will start picking up, with or without the 'gamez'.
    Nobody is saying the VITA > 3DS anymore though, atleast not Dr. Mayus or most other people who believe the VITA still has potential to succeed. I'm not sure many of them said that in the first place (in regards to commercial success), most of the trustable sources of information (i.e. non-fanboys) who were optimistic just said the VITA had the opportunity to succeed and take foothold in the market. It was always going to have an uphill battle though, Nintendo has a big brand name to over-come.

Now we may also be speaking in the sense of the anticipated quality system, not in sales, when talking about VITA > 3DS. That presents in and of itself a different evaluation of which sales has no meaning. I think we can all agree that sales are indicative of popularity and when we say something is better than something else (what > implies here) we are talking about quality. Well then sales aren't going to do anything for you as quality and popularity aren't correlated.

The most popular actually tends to be average in quality because quality is subjective and/or expensive, both of which naturally create pockets of exclusivity. Using some examples: Watches, Cars, Houses, Food, PCs, etc are all in the same boat of high quality = high price tag. Music, movies, etc are all in the same boat of high quality = highly subjective. There are some exceptions in certain situations and some outliers within situations that follow these trends, but the trends still don't lie. Quality and popularity are not correlated.

And actually sales of the system will never pick up without 'gamez.' Without a good software library, no game system will ever sell regardless of price.

As many analysts have said, and I would tend to agree with, the VITA's library is very western and has tapered off a bit as launch titles have become launch window titles.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast