Results 1 to 17 of 17

Video Output from VITA Possible? Maybe.

This is a discussion on Video Output from VITA Possible? Maybe. within the General PS Vita Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Source: U.K.'s PS Vita ports and slots detailed, video output possible? -- PlayStation Universe We’ve seen and played a lot ...

  1. #1
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    Video Output from VITA Possible? Maybe.

    Source: U.K.'s PS Vita ports and slots detailed, video output possible? -- PlayStation Universe

    We’ve seen and played a lot of PlayStation Vita over the past few months, but we’ve always been using debug units rather than retail versions, which don't have the same connections or ports.

    Until this week then, and the arrival of a European PS Vita unit at PSU towers, we’ve still been a little uncertain as to what ports and slots would be on the European and U.K. PS Vita model and what we'd actually be able to do with each of them.

    There also seems to be a fair amount of confusion from a variety of websites. Even IGN appears to have listed the slots incorrectly, stating that the space next to the PS Vita game cartridge slot is a memory card slot when it most certainly isn’t.

    To clarify the situation, our Wi-Fi enabled PS Vita model sports the following layout.

    Toggle Spoiler


    As you can see, the memory card slot is on the base of the unit where you can fit in a seriously tiny card that holds up to 32GB of data. This is the card that will house game saves, PSN downloads and personal media. The only card that will fit into this slot is Sony’s official PS Vita memory card.


    Next to that is the earphone and mic connector and just to its left is the proprietary multi-use connector, which we’ve been using to connect our PS Vita to PC and to the PS3 with the lead that comes with retail units. You can also use this lead to power up the device.

    What’s really interesting about this port is that it is multi-use and though this hasn’t been confirmed, and we haven’t tested it out right this very minute, we believe that a PS Vita AV Cable with red, white and yellow connectors, like the one listed on TTnet.net by China-based Top Sheung Electronic Co., may allow us to output video, something which we certainly hoped for here at PSU but didn't think would be possible.

    On the top of the unit, there are two slots, one for the PS Vita game cards and another for accessories. The Vita game card slot looks about the same size slot as you’d use for Memory Stick Pro Duo card, while the accessory port looks like its custom made. It’s tiny, like a mini-HDMI port. We took the micro SD card out our phone and even that’s too big to slot in.

    What we’ve found bizarre is that we’ve actually had to use a flat-head screwdriver to open both of these slots as they are so tightly sealed to the PS Vita unit. Even after opening them, we’ve still had to have our screwdriver handy each time we’ve wanted to open them. Of course, we've had a marketing sample, so we've got a fingers crossed this isn't the case with all shipped units; though we'd be interested to hear of anyone else suffers with the same issue.

    We’ll have a full hardware review of PS Vita next week. We’ve got a whole bunch of stuff to let you know about that we don't think has been covered on other websites, so be sure to check back.


    Well this is encouraging news, especially to those of us hoping to make gameplay videos for guides. Though I am assuming the models sold in the US will be the same as those sold in the UK. That's a fair assumption, yeah?

    I also thought the dig at IGN was pretty funny.


  2. #2
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Um I don't need a screwdriver to open the slots. They open just fine, I think this reviewer needs to stop chewing his nails and he won't have anymore problems.

    An output would be neat but I know when the PSP went on the TV it never looked very good and the Vita looks so sharp I would hate to see it ballooned out to 52 inches.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  3. #3
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Um I don't need a screwdriver to open the slots. They open just fine, I think this reviewer needs to stop chewing his nails and he won't have anymore problems.

    An output would be neat but I know when the PSP went on the TV it never looked very good and the Vita looks so sharp I would hate to see it ballooned out to 52 inches.
    I agree. But thankfully that's not why I want it. The size of a youtube video isn't much larger than the VITA screen. In fact the default YT video size is probably smaller than the VITA. All I'm thinking here is whether or not PowerPyx will be able to get footage so we can use it in trophy guides


  4. #4
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    I agree. But thankfully that's not why I want it. The size of a youtube video isn't much larger than the VITA screen. In fact the default YT video size is probably smaller than the VITA. All I'm thinking here is whether or not PowerPyx will be able to get footage so we can use it in trophy guides
    Yeah I guess videoing the screen itself would work but that would be a lot more work

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  5. #5
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Yeah I guess videoing the screen itself would work but that would be a lot more work
    Well just like I do now, I take the audio/video HD output from my PS3 and pass it through some hardware/software combination that lets me record it. You didn't mean I could put a video camera in front of the VITA and record that way did you? That'd be awful lol.


  6. #6
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    Well just like I do now, I take the audio/video HD output from my PS3 and pass it through some hardware/software combination that lets me record it. You didn't mean I could put a video camera in front of the VITA and record that way did you? That'd be awful lol.
    That's how AVGN does it for portables

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  7. #7
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    That's how AVGN does it for portables
    Yeah I had to Google that. Pulling the output from a port on the device would be sooooo much better


  8. #8
    Crocodile Hunter
    Ac3stralian's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Straya ****!
    Posts
    2,057
    Reputation
    178

    is PowerPyx a member of this site or do you just get the vids from him?

    Sig by Apokolypz



  9. #9
    Administrator
    Breakpoint's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    485
    Reputation
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    is PowerPyx a member of this site or do you just get the vids from him?
    Powerpyx

  10. #10
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    is PowerPyx a member of this site or do you just get the vids from him?
    BP already answered the question, but I'll elaborate. PowerPyx is a member of this site, but more importantly he works with guide authors on major titles and let's us incorporate his video trophy guides into our text trophy guides. He has quite a following on YouTube due to his knack for getting major titles earlier than everybody else and the quality of his guides.

    We also gave him the Video Creator of the Year Award at the 2011 End of Year Awards last month.

    I don't want you to think I just want to use him or something. His videos help our guides, and our guides get more attention for his videos.


  11. #11
    Crocodile Hunter
    Ac3stralian's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Straya ****!
    Posts
    2,057
    Reputation
    178

    ive watched his videos on a few games and id love to do what he does lol, i know your not using him or anything

    i think its awesome that we have semi-famous people on the site tho

    Sig by Apokolypz



  12. #12
    KCCO!
    Hitman's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,748
    Reputation
    196

    That certainly would be nice if it had the capacity to output video/audio to an external device. Honestly, companies need to get with the times and realize this is what people want. Just browse YouTube and look at the hundreds-of-thousands of videos gamers put up daily.

  13. #13
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    128
    Reputation
    3

    I think they have got it wrong, although I hope they are right, eventually.
    Not having video out is one of the main reasons I won't be buying a VITA.

    QUOTE:
    What’s really interesting about this port is that it is multi-use and though this hasn’t been confirmed, and we haven’t tested it out right this very minute, we believe that a PS Vita AV Cable with red, white and yellow connectors, like the one listed on TTnet.net by China-based Top Sheung Electronic Co., may allow us to output video, something which we certainly hoped for here at PSU but didn't think would be possible.

    Why would you have a new console, even a portable, that only output's video via truly ancient [Yellow] composite video cable?
    I think this sort of arrangement, if it is a video output at all, would be more for service technicians to access basic system resources via another screen if the VITA's screen ever goes down.

  14. #14
    Retired TGT Member
    antoniosbandana's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New Crackpack series :D
    Posts
    3,149
    Reputation
    119

    Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle View Post
    I think they have got it wrong, although I hope they are right, eventually.
    Not having video out is one of the main reasons I won't be buying a VITA.

    QUOTE:
    What’s really interesting about this port is that it is multi-use and though this hasn’t been confirmed, and we haven’t tested it out right this very minute, we believe that a PS Vita AV Cable with red, white and yellow connectors, like the one listed on TTnet.net by China-based Top Sheung Electronic Co., may allow us to output video, something which we certainly hoped for here at PSU but didn't think would be possible.

    Why would you have a new console, even a portable, that only output's video via truly ancient [Yellow] composite video cable?
    I think this sort of arrangement, if it is a video output at all, would be more for service technicians to access basic system resources via another screen if the VITA's screen ever goes down.
    Sigh. The main reason I'm getting one is so I can earn trophies on an airplane and by the pool. And in bed. Or wherever I frickin' want to.


  15. #15
    www.powerpyx.com
    PowerPyx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    117
    Reputation
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    is PowerPyx a member of this site or do you just get the vids from him?
    Look who's here

    I might not have so many posts, but I'm very active on ps3trophies.com

  16. #16
    Administrator
    Breakpoint's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    485
    Reputation
    39

    I hope it comes with video out. Makes it easier for people who want to play on a bigger screen because they have bad eyesight.

  17. #17
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Minarum's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Your mom's bed, aka Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,102
    Reputation
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    An output would be neat but I know when the PSP went on the TV it never looked very good and the Vita looks so sharp I would hate to see it ballooned out to 52 inches.
    That's what you can expect on a non-hd device(psp). Even though it didn't look that great on a big screen due to the stretching of the display, the movies I saw through my 60 inch were top notch.

    Now for the Vita, if it does in fact get a video output, and it's component again. I'm sure running it through the TV won't cause any problems and the screen would look good unless your rocking close to 70+ inches(unless you can run 1080p)
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO