5 9.26%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

12 22.22%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

2 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Best Final Fantasy for a n00b

This is a discussion on Best Final Fantasy for a n00b within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; When i my eyes first glanced over this thread, i thought it said 'Best Final Fantasy for a nob'....lol My ...

Game on....

When i my eyes first glanced over this thread, i thought it said 'Best Final Fantasy for a nob'....lol

My favourite is FFVIII and always has been.

Plats-O'-War!!

I'll be an "oddball" and say pick up FFXIII. Like you, this game never got my attention because IMHO, The Legend of Dragoon is better between the two (But, that's just me). Anyway, pick up FFXIII, it's the very 1st FF game I've ever played, and I like it. Especially now since it's so cheap because FFXIII-2 is right around the corner.

Lvl 9 - Gold

This is kinda fail since SE now releases more than 1 game in each "roman number", take this for an example. One of my favourite is FF X-2 but I didnīt like FF X that much. I rather just pick the best FF game instead.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 7 - Gold

There is no BEST OF THE BEST, and 7 is definitely not the best, it's as flawed as the rest if you boil it down. In fact, IMHO, 7 just finds itself sandwiched between 2 far superior titles, 6 and 8, since 6 pushing the SNES to it's limits and 8 was released when square already had a good idea of what playstation was capable of, so from a technical stand point - 7 is one of the worst. However there's the story aspect, and that I guess is a matter of preference. Even though FF universe is somewhat related (the chocobos, the moogles, the spells, the summons etc) games themselves (with the exception of early titles and their crystals) are completely different.

For a modern day gamer who plays a lot of games on current gen consoles but hasn't yet played any FF games, I would strongly not recommend going too far back, cause you'll most likely be repulsed by the graphics that haven't aged too well, and because of it - you won't enjoy the story as much as you could. (Unless you're gonna play remakes which were made for PSP and NDS)

Go with 13, or, if you have a PS2 - try 12.

My personal favorite is 8 (I love the Junction system), 6 comes as a very close 2nd fav.

ALSO!!! If you're in to tactical RPG's at all (Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Vandal Hearts etc) you may as well check out Final Fantasy Tactics, or it's remake for PSP - FF Tactics: War of the Lions. I think DS also saw some FF tactics games, but I'm not sure.

Galaxy beauty pirate

FF VII is my absolute favorite from the FF games I played, but I only played: VII, VIII, VIII, XIII and some FF tactics.
    The graphics might scare you off though, but the story is very good and intense. It's the FF I remember best of all. I normally don't care too much for graphics, but even I have to admit it's a lot harder for me to go back to old games with all the new ones (with trophies) in line.

If you care much about graphics (and trophies) then FF XIII is an option, although I didn't really like the game and got really bored after a while.
    You might like it though, or not. Difficult question.
    Sig by Ramon

Player Hater

I voted for FFXIII. Don't get sucked into the hype of playing VII or VIII. There's no point going back and playing the games in their original forms unless they've been updated, like with an HD rerelease. It's just too painful, trust me on that.
    Exception to the rule is the SNES game, pre VII. Reason being is cute sprites never date like 3D polygon models do.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

go for either xii or tactics, both are awesome gameplay wise, not your typical ff games, ive played almost all of them and they all have a special place in my heart for different reasons because they all play differently, if you wanted standard ff turn based gameplay id go with either vi or vii

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm playing through FF6 and FF13 right now and if I was to sell one it would be FF13.

FF6 is actually a much faster game, has a more interesting\varied plot, great art and also music.

FF13 is much much slower, battles are a mindless grind since you just hit Auto then press L1 if your health ever gets too low. In previous FF games you were rewarded for basic strategy and equipment choices, battles could be won very quickly. However in FF13 it all plays out the same, Commander\Ravager\Ravager and press auto until health gets low, battles are very slow since your damage is gimped until you build an overdrive meter thing for each monster, the mechanic is fine for boss battles but slow and tedious for the rest.

The story is very linear with barely anything interesting happening and with a dialog\script written for housewives. It's a very boring heartless game with re-used art assets from X and XII, I'm sorry to people who like it but I just can't stand it.

That's just my opinion but I really feel VI through to XII have more going for them, I'm not a fan of XII but it's a well crafted game that does reward planning and decision, so if you find retro gaming hard it's safe to start with XII and work your way back.

Lvl 6 - Silver

FF7 (VII) is IMO the one to go for, its straight forward enough to not be a pain in the ass, although the first time playing the Materia system might be a little daunting lol, by todays standards the graphics are nothing spectacular but at the time they were the best graphics on the PS1.

graphics aside though i just can't fault the story, characters, gameplay, music and overall experience, truly a masterpiece

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Thanks for putting up a multiple choice poll cause it's tough to pick just one. My favs are FFIII for the S.N.E.S., FFVII PS1 (This game and Gran Turismo were the two games that solidified my want for a PS1 console) and FFX for the PS2. The redone versions of FF I,II on the PS1 called FF Origins is a great set. In terms of ones I didn't like are FFXII, FFX-2 and FFXIII.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

FFX is my favorite Final Fantasy everything from the story to the combat is amazing though the main character can be annoying at times. I would wait for the remaster of it. Do not under any circumstance get FF13 the beginning of the game is boring and it just doesn't get any better the battle system is literally just hit l1 and then hit x a dozen times, totally boring, and the story is confusing as hell.

PRO Member

Final Fantasy vii is a good place to start after all it's the ff game that became big in the western world!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Go with Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. It's super easy.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Personally I would say 7. It is arguably one of the most loved games in history (let alone the FF series).
    The controls are easy to pick up, the combat is easy to pick up but can be difficult to master, the materia is easy to pick up yet unlimited combinations, the characters are quite likeable unlike those knobheads in FFXIII - piss off Vanille, the enemies are epic, the side quests are plentiful, the musical score was brilliant, the only remote downside is the graphics are a bit shit but hell it was a PsONE game. And besides, you get over that pretty damn quickly.

Or 10, ten was just ace, really easy battle system, great graphics and music, and you customize your characters using the sphere grid. But out of the 2, seven.

Although my personal favourite is actually 8...
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Noob Member

Final Fantasy IX is the best for me... Its theme return to Final Fantasy's classic titles.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm just gonna say get X or XII love more than anything

Lvl 1 - Bronze

everyone have his opinion but for me FFVII best story and sephirot <3

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    If you care much about graphics (and trophies) then FF XIII is an option, although I didn't really like the game and got really bored after a while.
    You might like it though, or not. Difficult question.
    he said best FF game for a n00b, FF13 is enough to put anyone right off the franchise lol, plus its a pain in the ass.

the older games are less annoying and way more fun, therefore better for a "n00b"

Quote Originally Posted by MAXTHUNDER View Post
    Thanks for putting up a multiple choice poll cause it's tough to pick just one. My favs are FFIII for the S.N.E.S.
    that's FF6 in case you didn't know that

Lvl 6 - Silver

Has to be FF VI, it's got the best story, best characters, best baddie, best gameplay...did I say best too much? Anyway VI is great starting point VII is also great actually there are many great FF games just steer clear of X-2, XI and XIII all really bad.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I recommend starting from the first game, you can buy it on PSP or download the PS1 classics (Final Fantasy: Origins) from PSN. I think playing the first game will help you understand how the series start. Final Fantasy 7 is the one that help get the series mainstream in USA. Final Fantasy 4 has a storyline that is almost as good as Final Fantasy 7.

Even when you play the game, I think it's a good idea for a person to know the history of the series. On Gametrailers, there is a Final Fantasy retrospective video. It'll help you understand the series and how much the series went through.
    <3 Girls Generation/SNSD!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast