5 9.26%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

12 22.22%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

2 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Best Final Fantasy for a n00b

This is a discussion on Best Final Fantasy for a n00b within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; FFVII is personally my favourite, and it is the game that got me to play all the others. However, as ...

Beast Incarnate

FFVII is personally my favourite, and it is the game that got me to play all the others. However, as some people have said the graphics are very dated, it was 1997 when I played it and it was exceptional, to get you into the series you may need the same sort of thing. That being said, I don't think FFXIII is the right game to get you into the series, it is a very good game, but very dissapointing as a Final Fantasy. I'd personally go with FFX, maybe wait until they release it in HD so you can gather trophies at the same time.

Then, once you are sucked into the world of Final Fantasy, I strongly suggest to go back and play the other, older games, because most of the series are real gems in gaming history, and all of them should be experienced.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Just get Crisis Core, after that I donīt care what you pick.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Lvl 5 - Silver

Whichever game is "best" depends on who you're asking. If you asked me, I'd say IV. Get the DS version if you can. The beefed up the graphics and changed up the gameplay as well.

If you're just looking to get into the series, I'd recommend X because I found it to be pretty easy to get into and play. IX isn't too hard either and it's also relatively easy.
    "Those who do not show respect will receive none in kind."

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I say for someone new to the series 7 would be best. You get a feel of what makes Final Fantasy great and it's systems are simple and easy to understand while still being fun and engaging.

The older ones are more difficult and deal with stats and classes. You could say the same about 8 and 9 except they aren't as hard. 10 is simple, etc like 7 is but is more linear. Then you have 12 which I enjoyed and is rather unique but some people don't like it.

Mr. X

I think it's been said but Final Fantasy games don't come out every year. Since the days of the PsOne I remember eagerly waiting years for a new release. Anyway I would not get XIII. The game dosen't really play like the Fina Fantasy games of old and it plays like a tutorial for the first 20 hours. If graphics are your thing though then go for it, you'll be amazed.

I'd reccomend picking up X first. There is voice acting and the graphics still hold up today. The main storyline is engaging and if you don't stray from the path it's not that punishing. With that said it also has plenty to keep you occupied and some really tough, optional monsters to fight. XII also has graphics that make it easy on the eye after modern games but the story isn't the best and I think it has a vastness that could put at new player off.

Personally, I think VIII and IX are the best in the series. You should def check them out but I think X is the best to introduce someone to the series.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I've played every mainline Final Fantasy except for XI and XIII, and I would only recommend II, IV, V, VIII, and IX. I liked IV's story the best, although it gets a little ridiculous. V had the best class system, and its easily breakable. VIII is pretty iffy, I really liked the junction system personally, it allows for a good amount of customization. II is admittedly a bit hard to get into, the weird leveling process is what throws a lot of people off, but its also easily broken. IX was fun as hell.

I hated X. Bash me all you want but I just didn't like the characters or story, and the whole skill grid thing was a huge chore.

Speaking of huge chores, VI. Okay, I actually didn't finish VI. I didn't feel like grinding out the other 50 boring characters for Kefka's Tower.

I don't really have a beef with VII (besides being way, WAY. overrated), it was a pretty okay experience. And XII is fun if you're into the whole open world thing, expect horrible characters and story though.

As for spinoffs,I haven't played anything besides the Tactics games (I recommend all 3), the first 2 Crystal Chronicles (only if you have a friend to play with), and Mystic Quest, which was actually supposed to be an entry-level Final Fantasy. Ironically, I would only recommend it to die-hard FF fans, its pretty dull but it has a kickass soundtrack.

Currently Playing-- Eternal Sonata (PS3), Majora's Mask (N64), Bowser's Inside Story (DS), Darksiders (PS3), Maken X (DC)

Lvl 5 - Silver

Get whichever one you want.FF12 was the one that hooked me into FF, It was one of the best games that I played on the PS2. And along with FF13 both games inspired me to try a few of the others,(FF7,8,& 9) where before playing both, I would not have.I did play 10 also, didnt like the turn based.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

X was my first FF, and I LOVED IT!! The world, the music, the STORY, it's an incredible experience. Fell in love with FF after it. I suggest you wait until the HD remake coming out later this year though.

Until then I suggest XIII, it has a lot of hate, but I loved it. It has intense and fun battles and a gorgeous world. The story is also good if you can read in between the lines, understand the mythology etc.

after trying one of those I suggest VI if you don't mind NES era graphics, that game is one of the most original out there, and it has this charm and epicness I can't quite describe.

And IX if you want the most classic FF experience. It's one of the newer ones, but it has the charm and look of one of the old ones. Definitely recommend it. VIII if you want a tripped out story with great artistic vision. And VII if you're curious about what all the hype is about. (Sephiroth, Cloud, etc..)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123