5 9.26%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

12 22.22%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

2 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best Final Fantasy for a n00b

This is a discussion on Best Final Fantasy for a n00b within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ok guys im finally sick of it, all the constant talk about a FF game. I will now go and ...

Crocodile Hunter

Best Final Fantasy for a n00b

Ok guys im finally sick of it, all the constant talk about a FF game.

I will now go and buy one to see what all the hype is about.

FF never appealed to me, the idea of it or the look of it, but its so popular and i know that looks can be deceiving. The reason i never liked a FF game is because i didnt really like turned based games . yes calm down i know FF hasnt been like that for centuries, i just never changed it in my head. The other reason i didnt like the idea is because there are heaps off FF games and they bring them out each year and from general opinion developers who do that the games are all the same and crap really ( cough CoD cough )

so yeah, you have finally brought me over to the dark side and i ask you which FF game i should buy, This will be the deciding game if I like the series or ignore it from now on

added a poll but feel free to write as much as you want on your number of FF and WHY that is the best in your opinion as i would like to read it to see if id like the sound of it.

thanks for you help

Sig by Apokolypz

Resident PHD

Final Fantasy 6 (just went on PSn) best Final Fantasy game and in my top 5 games of all time

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Nope, nothing

Final Fantasy 7

One of my all time favourite games, it's just amazing, probably the game I've completed the most.

BUT
    Because you don't really like turn-based games, and it's definitely hard to get into a game with terrible graphics if you don't know if you like it anyway, plus you're new to the series... So, I'm going to get a lot of shit for this I think, get Final Fantasy XIII

Yeah I said it, I think it's a great game and with the sequel on its way it would be a great time to try it out and if you like it you have another to play as well :clap:

EDIT: looks like someone just voted for them all

Go Blue Jackets!!

Final Fantasy X

Cause its the only good FF

Or 3 for the iphone/ipod touch

RPG Master

This is not an easy question if you are looking for an overall best Final Fantasy. Here are some pros of FF V-X:

5. V is good because it has the extensive job system that allows your characters to be any class you want them to be.

6. Final Fantasy VI is considered the overall best of the original Nintendo FF's due to its gameplay, story, character development and quality.

7. A lot of people like VII for its breakaway from the 2D earlier games and highly praised story.

8. VIII was the first one to allow major customization for your characters without the need for armor and/or accessories. This allowed the player to build the characters right off the bat any way they wanted.

9. IX is considered the 'throwback' to the earlier FF which means it has a lot of allusions and references to the earlier games. Due to this, the gameplay is similar to earlier games.

10. X threw away the ATB (active time battle) system for a new turn-based system. This allowed you to plan out your battle plans by knowing when the enemies will be attacking you. Another change is that summons are now controllable.
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post

EDIT: looks like someone just voted for them all

that would be weapons (schism) hahaha

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 4 - Silver

Final Fantasy I - Final Fantasy V = Great FF games to others, but not so great to me as I dislike old generation's games except PlayStation games.

Final Fantasy VII - One of the best Final Fantasy game ever, with great gameplay, story, music, characters, and high replay value. English localisation is sub-par, with a number of translation errors.

Final Fantasy VIII - A great RPG game with lots of character customisation. One of RPG games where monsters/bosses levels will scale with your party members level. Although, I don't like the magic system and magic-using does not use MP.

Final Fantasy IX - A good RPG game with throwback from some classics RPG game, such as 4 party members in a battle, buying new weapons & armours for offense and defense, etc. Although, I don't like the character designs.

Final Fantasy X - One of the best Final Fantasy game I have ever played, with great character customisation, great music, great gameplay, etc. Some people dislikes the game because it is kind of linear since there is marker that points you to your next direction, and the final boss fight is extremely easy to beat.

Final Fantasy X-2 - The first game sequel for a Final Fantasy game. Storyline is a bit bland, but the overall style of the game can either pleases you or annoys you. You can only control 3 characters in the game, and this game allows you to change each party members' jobs anytime in battle, creating lots of interesting strategies to fight your enemies.

Final Fantasy XII - One of the most ambitious RPG game I have ever played, with lots of replay value, great characters, etc. Although, I don't like the storyline, and some of it's gameplay aesthetics.

Final Fantasy XIII - Perhaps the most controversial Final Fantasy game with a lot of traditional RPG elements absent in the game, such as cities, etc. The gameplay is awesome, featuring improved and better version of FFX-2's battle system. However, the story is a love-and-hate to fans and non-fans, very linear in story progression, etc.

I don't know which FF games you should buy first, since now all FF games appeal to everyone. If you are willing to play old games and new to Final Fantasy series, play Final Fantasy VII first, then Final Fantasy VIII, and so on. Playing Final Fantasy XIII is a good choice if you are entirely new to Final Fantasy series.
    Last edited by Chaos Raiden; 01-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Just a note, Final Fantasy titles aren't yearly releases, if they were this year would be Final Fantasy XXV (that's 25).

I would say if you want to experience the games from when they started to become epic, you should probably start with Final Fantasy IV which was the first RPG to give it's characters fleshed out stories, themes, and really brought the franchise out among the rest of the class.

If graphics matter to you, I'd probably go with Final Fantasy X albeit, this is the most linear of all the titles in the series - it does have voice acting, tons of mini-games, and a story that is quite heart warming.

If you want to attempt understand why there are 20 billion Sephiroth, Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris variations of user names everybody - try Final Fantasy VII. I don't feel the game has aged all that well, but if you consider at the time of it's release it's impact on gaming and why there are RPG elements in almost every game that comes out - this would be the reason.

There really isn't a wrong answer, and every Final Fantasy has it's strengths and weaknesses, but if you're jumping into the franchise for the first time ever, it's probably best to pick one of the above and then if you enjoyed the experience get another title, you just might start to understand why a lot of us love the franchise so much.

Just for simplicity's sake, I'd say go with Final Fantasy IV, it's somewhat turn based, but it doesn't confuse you too much with outside things, and really focuses heavily on it's story - which is what the franchise's main strength is.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 9 - Gold

FF1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and or Tactics. Those imo were the best and revolutionary. Not a fan of any of the other ones. But if you can't deal with the outdated graphics and lack of voice overs... Go with 10, 10-2, 12, and 13. I absolutely HATE voice overs, specially in 13.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 3 - Bronze

VII was the first and only one I enjoyed. I tried to get into VIII, but I just didn't care for it. If they remade VII like all the HD remakes, I would so buy that shit. I loved that game, the only thing I never was able to do was beat the weapons. I am ready to try it again in a HD remake!

Lvl 4 - Silver

FF7/FVII is my personal favorite. Great story, battle, level mechanism twist etc.
    FF10/FFX is definitely on of the best Final fantasies! Square Enix is even making a whole HD remake of this game so i'll advice to wait until it comes out oh, by the way the platforms are PS3/Vita.
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm also a final fantasy noob, but i just bought 7 and 13 after recommendations from friends.

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

i'm surprised FFX and FFVII aren't a tied. FFX-X2 & FFXIII will ALWAYS be my personal favorite ( Sorry cloud & tifa, your great until you get a re-released )

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

Lvl 6 - Silver

I would say FF 7 it got me hooked on the series but if graphics are a problem then I would wait for the re release of 10

Negator

If you're looking for a FF title, I suggest waiting until the release of FFX HD later this year.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeGR View Post
    i'm surprised FFX and FFVII aren't a tied. FFX-X2 & FFXIII will ALWAYS be my personal favorite ( Sorry cloud & tifa, your great until you get a re-released )
    Every poll I've ever seen around, including this site. 7 always slaughters the rest of the FF's.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Every poll I've ever seen around, including this site. 7 always slaughters the rest of the FF's.
    Yes and if its not VII, its usually VI with X having a strong showing as well.

I'd actually agree with Dr_Mayus and recommend FFVI (6) because if you choose VII which is one of my favorites, you'll probably find yourself not liking the graphics due to how they look now compared to back then. However, FFVI was done in a more cartoonish way so to speak and still holds up well.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

You should get FF X when they release the remastered one. It has kind of a slow start but it gets really good after that

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

It depends which is the best one and which one you should start on. X or XII is the best, but since it's on PS3 and FF13-2 is coming out, get FF13.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Honestly I couldn't say which one is the best.
    My favorite one, though, is VII. But given that it was the one I played the most and that changed my gaming experience forever, my opinion may be biased. After all, this is about opinions, no?

VI is also great. X is amazing, and I really like the battle system of that one. Surprisingly after beating XIII (still working on the Plat) it became one of my favorites. It may not be "as good" or "the same" as the "good old FFs", but it is a great JRPG.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast