Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magic: The Gathering

This is a discussion on Magic: The Gathering within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I was wondering how many of you play (or used to play) Magic: The Gathering card game... I've been playing ...

Negator

Magic: The Gathering

I was wondering how many of you play (or used to play) Magic: The Gathering card game...

I've been playing since 1994 and have a vast collection (most that I'm trying to sell [PM if interested]) that I've amassed over the years.

What are you favorite cards? Favorite sets/expansions? Favorite game mechanics? Favorite deck builds? Favorite color(s)?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Platinum Procrastinator

*Points and laughs* Hahahahaha you play a stupid and silly card game, pfffft what a loser!

Anyways, back on topic, I use to play. Started when the Legions block was introduced and the only way to get cards was to buy packs as there were no stores that sold loose or individual cards. This made getting anything decent extremely difficult unless you were lucky and got a good pack. However, a few months later and someone who had been playing and collecting MTG cards since the beginning went bankrupt and sold the majority of his cards to out local hockey card seller. The few of us that started playing were then able to buy some decent stuff and improve our crappy decks.

I miss playing it to be honest because everyone who I played with have all moved away. Since then, I started buying cards online until after a few months of doing so, I looked at how much money I spent and decided to stop. I probably could of bought the majority of the Power 9 with the amount of money I spent, and really, I would of been better off doing so instead of buying what I did lol. I have quite a few sets, but nothing really stands out besides a few dual lands.

Most of my newer sets/cards, well relatively newer (Legions and onwards) are all mint and stored in 9 card sheets and binders unless there is more than four of the same card. Once I have four of the same card in the binder, the doubles (I consider five of the same card as the first double as four copies can be used in the same deck) go placed in a cardboard card holder.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Resident PHD

I stopped playing as Homeworld ( I believe it was called) came out. I actually had collected the entire series of Chronicles and always favored a blue/white deck or a green one. I was really excited when PSN+ had Magic on for free so I got to play it again.

My favourite card combo was

Craw Giant/lure/regeneration and some other card that killed all creatures that blocked you. This would make every creature on your opponents side block Craw Giant, who would gain +2+2 for each creature that blocked and also had trample so he would deal all that extra damage to the opponent, plus every creature on your opponent's side would die and you could just bring Craw giant back with regeneration.

It was an extremely cheap way to wipe out all of your opponent's creatures and almost guarantee victory.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

#cutformesa

I played for several years. I got huge during the Mirrodin/Dark Steel/Fifth Dawn cycle when I had a nearly foolproof system to get great booster packs, so I literally gained a few thousand cards from that period (still have around 12,000 or so total). I built a sweet Artifact deck that I still use that still wins almost every game.

I also had/have a lot of fun with this Elf deck I built during the Onslaught/Legions/Scourge block. Everyone hates the Wellwisher, right?

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

illegal in 9 countries

Helyx, I noticed you're one of very few people with 100% for the MTG games and the for Eye of Judgment, I'm planning to do the same...eventually!

How do you find the digital translation of MTG compares to the card game? Is it overly-simplified or true to the original?

Also, you might want to check out a couple of iPhone / iPad card games. Check out Ascension (created by three MTG tourney champs) and Shadow Era (also playable by web browser - Shadow Era). One or the other (or both) are getting the real-life card game treatment, so keep an eye out for them.

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Helyx, I noticed you're one of very few people with 100% for the MTG games and the for Eye of Judgment, I'm planning to do the same...eventually!

How do you find the digital translation of MTG compares to the card game? Is it overly-simplified or true to the original?

Also, you might want to check out a couple of iPhone / iPad card games. Check out Ascension (created by three MTG tourney champs) and Shadow Era (also playable by web browser - Shadow Era). One or the other (or both) are getting the real-life card game treatment, so keep an eye out for them.
    I got all the achievements for the MTG games on Xbox LIVE, and I have to say the games are extremely fun. They are somewhat simplified and especially in the first one the deck customization/building tools aren't all that deep (read: omitting or including pre-selected cards). But the games are still really fun and best of all allow you to play a game of Magic at any time of day.

Besides the limited customization, though, one of the biggest disappointments IMO is the DLC. If you have it, you can crush non-purchasers easily, and if you don't you get put through the ringer every game.

SERBIA STRONG

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Started when the Legions block was introduced and the only way to get cards was to buy packs as there were no stores that sold loose or individual cards.
    I absolutely *LOVED* Scourge/Legions/Onslaught, especially Legions since it was an ALL creature expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck
    I miss playing it to be honest because everyone who I played with have all moved away. Since then, I started buying cards online until after a few months of doing so, I looked at how much money I spent and decided to stop. I probably could of bought the majority of the Power 9 with the amount of money I spent, and really, I would of been better off doing so instead of buying what I did lol. I have quite a few sets, but nothing really stands out besides a few dual lands.
    I'd shudder if I ever found an exact amount that I've spent on cards over the past 18 years. Some of my more cherished being my Dual Lands (Bayou ).

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck
    Most of my newer sets/cards, well relatively newer (Legions and onwards) are all mint and stored in 9 card sheets and binders unless there is more than four of the same card. Once I have four of the same card in the binder, the doubles (I consider five of the same card as the first double as four copies can be used in the same deck) go placed in a cardboard card holder.
    Storage sleeves/binders/boxes alone have cost me quite a pretty penny. It's always awesome when you finally get a play-set of a nasty card. (Ball Lightning )

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    I stopped playing as Homeworld ( I believe it was called) came out. I actually had collected the entire series of Chronicles and always favored a blue/white deck or a green one. I was really excited when PSN+ had Magic on for free so I got to play it again.
    Homelands was one of the first sets I really collected besides Iceage. So many good memories (and poor trades) from back then.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus
    My favourite card combo was

Craw Giant/lure/regeneration and some other card that killed all creatures that blocked you. This would make every creature on your opponents side block Craw Giant, who would gain +2+2 for each creature that blocked and also had trample so he would deal all that extra damage to the opponent, plus every creature on your opponent's side would die and you could just bring Craw giant back with regeneration.

It was an extremely cheap way to wipe out all of your opponent's creatures and almost guarantee victory.
    I used very similar combos that focused on Taunting Elf/Venom/Broken Fall as well as The Wretched/Lure/Broken Fall (images in spoiler)

Toggle Spoiler

Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 01-23-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    I played for several years. I got huge during the Mirrodin/Dark Steel/Fifth Dawn cycle when I had a nearly foolproof system to get great booster packs, so I literally gained a few thousand cards from that period (still have around 12,000 or so total). I built a sweet Artifact deck that I still use that still wins almost every game.
    Man, the Mirrodin block was insane! I had so much fun with my Proteus Staff/Goblin Charbelcher/Nuisance Engine combo in a creature-less deck. Create a token creature with Nuisance Engine, then use Proteus Staff to place it on the bottom of my library. Since no other creatures were in the deck, I got to stack all my cards however I wanted (lands on the bottom). Charbelcher hurt lots of peoples' feelings. (images in spoiler)

Toggle Spoiler

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post

I was so excited when they announced an MTG game for PSN (and then a sequel)! Eye of Judgment was a pain in the ass (mostly due to the camera being so picky about light sources/angles), but it's such a satisfying . If you put your mind to it, I'm sure you'll get your 100%s also...too bad you need both DLCs for EoJ to get 100%.

It's not the best adaptation, but I think it's pretty solid considering the limitations of a game such as MTG (world record holder for 'most rules in any game'). Certain things like regeneration and spell priority are awkward, but overall I'm pleased with the end result of the games.

It's been a long time since I've used any MTG apps, but the one I remember was Briefcase. Thanks for the recommendations though.
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 01-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Lvl 7 - Gold

White. I always loved white...

Don't know why exactly, if you love MTG like me, you gotta love all the colors.
    The horrible thilthy way of black,
    The BIG creatures of green,
    The magic of blue,
    The fiery agression of red.
    But i've always loved the protection of white.

I've got a few thousand real cards up here.
    (Don't want to buy, don't want to sell)
    Used to play with my wife, mostly (cards ...). Sometimes a friend joined in. (...it's still about CARDS !)

I haven't bought a card in years though, but i LOVE the magic-games on PS3.
    love the elves deck in duels o/t plainwalkers. Still checking MTG2012.
    Add me in your friends-list, say "Magic" or "MTG" in your invite, so we can play a game or two.

#cutformesa

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Man, the Mirrodin block was insane! I had so much fun with my Proteus Staff/Goblin Charbelcher/Nuisance Engine combo in a creature-less deck. Create a token creature with Nuisance Engine, then use Proteus Staff to place it on the bottom of my library. Since no other creatures were in the deck, I got to stack all my cards however I wanted (lands on the bottom). Charbelcher hurt lots of peoples' feelings. (images in spoiler)

Toggle Spoiler

I loved me the Sunburst effect that Fifth Dawn brought - having an artifact deck already with rainbow mana meant most of my heavy hitters came out with +5/+5, and most of them were Arcbound so when they died I could transfer their tokens to new creatures. Add in the Bringers of the [blank] Dawn and some awesome counter spells, and it was one of my favorites. Plus there was the all-important "Circle of Protection: Artifacts: that ruined a lot of people's days when that block was still tourney-legal and therefore commonly used.

I also loved the "Mephidross Vampire"/"Triskelion" combo, although it was a little difficult to set up. Triskelion came into play with three +1/+1 counters on it, and allowed to to take one off to deal 1 direct damage to target player (without tapping). However, Mephidross Vampire allowed to you to put a +1/+1 token on any of your creatures that dealt damage, so in effect once you had both in play you could deal infinite damage. Game over .

SERBIA STRONG

Negator

I loved me the Sunburst effect that Fifth Dawn brought - having an artifact deck already with rainbow mana meant most of my heavy hitters came out with +5/+5, and most of them were Arcbound so when they died I could transfer their tokens to new creatures. Add in the Bringers of the [blank] Dawn and some awesome counter spells, and it was one of my favorites. Plus there was the all-important "Circle of Protection: Artifacts: that ruined a lot of people's days when that block was still tourney-legal and therefore commonly used.

I also loved the "Mephidross Vampire"/"Triskelion" combo, although it was a little difficult to set up. Triskelion came into play with three +1/+1 counters on it, and allowed to to take one off to deal 1 direct damage to target player (without tapping). However, Mephidross Vampire allowed to you to put a +1/+1 token on any of your creatures that dealt damage, so in effect once you had both in play you could deal infinite damage. Game over .
    The Trisk/Mephi combo was indeed nasty, but it was only useful against CREATURES (you couldn't deal 'infinite' damage against players). However, I used the same combo in conjunction with Sadistic Glee (spoiler) which really made a huge difference after whipping the board clean.

Toggle Spoiler

Another nasty combo I used (different deck) was Nether Traitor/Basal Sliver/Hivestone/Whetwheel. Hivestone made all creatures "Slivers", which in turn gave Basal Sliver's ability to all my creatures. So, I could sacrifice one of my lesser creatures (I believe I recycled the Nuisance Engine in this deck as well) for 2 black mana, which would trigger the chance to bring Nether Traitor from the graveyard for 1 black mana. With 2 Nether Traitors on the board, that was infinite mana, which I would dump in to my (expensive as hell) Whetwheel to essentially remove your library from the game. (spoiler)

EDIT: I also forgot about using Bitter Ordeal with this combo. If all else failed, I could just use that instead of Whetwheel.

Toggle Spoiler

Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 03-02-2012 at 12:08 PM.

#cutformesa

The Trisk/Mephi combo was indeed nasty, but it was only useful against CREATURES (you couldn't deal 'infinite' damage against players). However, I used the same combo in conjunction with Sadistic Glee (spoiler) which really made a huge difference after whipping the board clean.

Toggle Spoiler

See, I don't think I ever saw that... I guess I won some tourneys by cheating. Now I feel stupid xD

SERBIA STRONG

Negator

See, I don't think I ever saw that... I guess I won some tourneys by cheating. Now I feel stupid xD
    Sometimes I miss the tourney scene, but since most of the action/money is in Type-2, I just gave up. Life just didn't leave room to have such an expensive hobby any longer.

Platinum Procrastinator

Sometimes I miss the tourney scene, but since most of the action/money is in Type-2, I just gave up. Life just didn't leave room to have such an expensive hobby any longer.
    That's why I gave it up. Well that and the fact that nobody around here played. When my buddy moved away to go to university, he started playing it a lot because they had a big tournament scene. I think two of the people there had the Power 9 and they had draft tournaments every week. I would of liked to get in on that but sadly I live three hours away.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 4 - Silver

I just started playing about a year ago and I really like the game, I like a lot of the old cards from before I started playing and my favorite is the originial Mirrodin Block and the affinity and artifacts in it

"Jigglypuff is the Finest"

Resident PHD

Homelands was one of the first sets I really collected besides Iceage. So many good memories (and poor trades) from back then.

I used a very similar combos that focused on Taunting Elf/Venom/Broken Fall as well as The Wretched/Lure/Broken Fall (images in spoiler)

Toggle Spoiler

That's what that card was called Venom, thanks Helyx

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Negator

I just sold about $800 worth of cards, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Here's some highlights:

Blood Crypt - $17.50
    Dark Confidant - $36.50
    Crucible of Worlds - $14.02
    Stomping Ground - $12.70
    Tarmogoyf - $69.70
    Windswept Heath - $17.43
    Doubling Season - $16.58

I still have tens of thousands of cards to sell, so if any of you have specific cards you want, let me know.

PRO Member

I started when Revised came out. Almost had a full set of 4th and Ice Age that got stolen. Stopped as Visions was coming out. Got back in with Invasion. Dropped after Onslaught or Odyssey (I get the two confused at times). Been playing off and on again since M11. Just got two theme decks for the latest expansion Dark Ascension. I miss the original dual lands (Taiga!). I thought the Invasion block was very good and got a good story vibe from it. Before that it was more individual cards or maybe a general setting, but Invasion was a good story. I'm a big fan of Melissa Benson's artwork, so the big cards from Revised are some of my favorites (Nightmare, Shivan Dragon, etc.). I tend to play red/green.

I've really enjoyed the Duels of the Planeswalkers games as they've fed my Magic needs but are relatively inexpensive (compared to the physical cards). I've played some decks in it that I would never play IRL and found them really fun. The Liana Vess deck in 2012 is fun.
    77th platinum: LEGO MARVEL Super Heroes (PS3). 86th PSN/non-platinum 100%: My Singing Monsters. NightRaven77's Trophy Checklist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast