Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't you just miss the 80s & early 90s?

This is a discussion on Don't you just miss the 80s & early 90s? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I remember a time when Fighting & shooting games were at its Golden age and showed full of AWE & ...

Plat. Blackjack Warrior

NYC, NY ( Or where the Navy sends me :-D)

Don't you just miss the 80s & early 90s?

I remember a time when Fighting & shooting games were at its Golden age and showed full of AWE & Respect both by Game Developers and players alike.

Now in an age when Video Game Industry are more focused on filling their pockets then putting heart and soul to game that really get us inspired.

But, when terrible news such as: "Obese" Megaman & Retarded Pac-man on SF vs. Tekken. Video Games aren't like they used to be.

Me? I miss the good-oh times when Golden Eye on N64 & even Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter where at there BEST of times.

What you miss back in the Golden Age of Gaming?

Playing: Final Fantasy 14
    Latest /100%: Saint Rows 4
    Next Platinum/100% Goal: FF 14 (going to a LONG haul...)
    CLAN/GUILD: KUPO KNIGHTS - SARGATANAS SERVER
    LINK: http://kupoknights.guildwork.com/

PRO Member

The feeling of playing something amazing for the first time...it's sill there, just not like it used to be.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Plats-O'-War!!

Games nowadays just don't have that lasting feeling like most older games. Nowadays, it's all about the online, graphics (which in some cases are stunning), and (don't be mad when I say this): Trophies/Achievements. Instead of making games that will have that long lasting impression, it's now: Beat the game, it, and on to the next one. Just being honest...........

Lvl 7 - Gold

I remember playing Pokemon Crystal(?) and I finally found Suicune and I caught him with the Master Ball I received in the game and I was pretty young for my age so I didn't know what "Save" meant or how to do it, so I asked my brother and he refused to tell me so I started getting upset. xD

My biggest thing I miss isn't gaming though, sadly.
    It was the old Nickelodeon shows.
    All That, Rugrats, AHH Real Monsters, Kenan & Kell, and a WHOLE bunch more.
    Nostalgia sucks.
    Currently Playing:|Mass Effect 2/Insanity Run|

|Thanks Alison for the Signature.| My Youtube.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I don't miss much from my old days of gaming, and I have no regrets of not playing my favourite PS1 and PS2 games at the moment. Personally, old school games does not interest me much because I don't like them. Not SNES, Sega Genesis, nor any other old consoles except PS1 and PS2.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Golden eye AKA the greatest Multi player game ever made! Back when Wrestling was real and nba jam was stashed in my mega drive for months. the good old days

Platinum Dohvakiin

Oh you mean back when games had more than 5 hours of content? When multiplayer meant playing with your friends in the same room? When cheat codes was as close to hacking a game as you could get? When blood in Mortal Kombat was a parental outcry? When Madden wasn't recycled from the year? When people played games because they were fun. Because there was no such thing as trophies? Nope I have no clue about those days that you are referring too. :/

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

member since Oct 2009

Ahh yes, was finishing High School in the early 90's, good ole days. I miss the arcades the most. Nintendo was kicking ass back then with great game lineups. The trying of something new in gaming was still to be found unlike today where games seem to be something already done. Oh well.

illegal in 9 countries

I don't miss it in the slightest.

Gaming has always been about emptying our wallets. How many coins did you throw down in a video arcade as a kid? At least we get to take the games home with us these days!

I love the here and now, look forward to tomorrow and I don't have time to look back. There are too many great games to play to bother with nostalgia. The problem isn't that the games were better then, it's that we have so many more options now.

Have you tried firing up some of the games of yesteryear? I find them almost unplayable from my first experience on Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and Amiga, Nintendo and Sega, right through to the PSOne, PS2 and Xbox era.

Give me SSFIV and Mortal Kombat on PS3 over dodgy coin-ops or cartridge-based consoles any day. They look better, sound better, control better and just plain play better. And isn't playing what this hobby is all about?
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-27-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Games nowadays just don't have that lasting feeling like most older games. Nowadays, it's all about the online, graphics (which in some cases are stunning), and (don't be mad when I say this): Trophies/Achievements. Instead of making games that will have that long lasting impression, it's now: Beat the game, it, and on to the next one. Just being honest...........
    I did break through this evil circle thanx god for this. Now I can go beyond the , because the plat isnt the end station for me anymore.

I do think that the games in 90s were exceptional. There are alot of Master pieces that really defined and gave structure to this game-generation.

So yea I do miss some of them.
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

Nope, nothing

I miss a lot of things from the 90s, that was the main part of my childhood, but gaming doesn't jump out as one of those things.
    Yeah I played games in that time, yeah I loved them, but I prefer games today

The things I really miss have nothing to do with gaming but I know where you're coming from.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I don't miss it in the slightest.

Gaming has always been about emptying our wallets. How many coins did you throw down in a video arcade as a kid? At least we get to take the games home with us these days!

I love the here and now, look forward to tomorrow and I don't have time to look back. There are too many great games to play to bother with nostalgia. The problem isn't that the games were better then, it's that we have so many more options now.

Have you tried firing up some of the games of yesteryear? I find them almost unplayable from my first experience on Atari 2600, Commodore 64 and Amiga, Nintendo and Sega, right through to the PSOne, PS2 and Xbox era.

Give me SSFIV and Mortal Kombat on PS3 over dodgy coin-ops or cartridge-based consoles any day. They look better, sound better, control better and just plain play better. And isn't playing what this hobby is all about?
    There are some games that hold up today (FF6 is still my favourite game of all time) but not many. Most are plagued with flighty controls, bad hit detection, too advanced controls for the controllers they were using (holding R and then moving around with the analog stick to look around). The thing is people are blinded by nostalgia and refuse to admit that games are just made better today. That isn't a bad thing that is just what developers are supposed to do.

Now I am not saying this for all games but I recently went back to playing Super Mario 64 and let's just say it doesn't really hold up to today's standards.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

born in 84...and i miss when Sonic was the Sh*t....and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was a social media, lol...the music was also badass back then... what i miss the most is that trophies wasnt deciding factor on games (dont get me wrong im a serious Hunter)...
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Local Drunk

I don't miss the 80s simply cause I wasn't born but do I definitely miss the 90s and the way things used to be (life in general not just games).
    Last edited by Feral; 01-27-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Mr. X

I think we look back on these periods with such fondness due to age. I'm assuming, we were all kids back then or we were obviously all younger. When we're children things tend to wow us more than they do as an adult.

That said, I love a lot of old school games but like someone has already said if you go and play them now they can be a chore. I was showing someone Silent Hill 2 a while back and the controls we're just so clunky, it was almost unplayable; still a great game though.

There are fantastic games out there in this day and age that stand up against the classics. Look at the epic scope involved in games like Fallout, Borderlands and Skyrim, the thrilling adventure we get from games like Uncharted. Games like FIFA, that were once just an update to kits and names, actually make significant changes year in year out.

Games shouldn't be judged on graphics but the advancements allow us to have more engaging experiences and stunning moments that take our breath away. Could you imagine the train sequence from Uncharted 2 on an older console; not a chance.

I'm the first one to lay into online gaming but even that is something we should be happy about. If we want to play with others we can now jump straight into the game and get to it. I played Resident Evil 5 online with my friend and we completed it in one day. It was a really fun experience and I didn't need him sat besides me to enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong I love the 90's games and some of my all time favourite games came out then. It's good to look back with nostalgia but we are still in a golden age of gaming. Ignore the money grabbing franchises and trophy whores. Just play the great games that are out now for what they are. We're lucky to have lived through all these advancements and we can still play whatever we want. Love the old school and love the now.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    Oh you mean back when games had more than 5 hours of content? When multiplayer meant playing with your friends in the same room? When cheat codes was as close to hacking a game as you could get? When blood in Mortal Kombat was a parental outcry? When Madden wasn't recycled from the year? When people played games because they were fun. Because there was no such thing as trophies? Nope I have no clue about those days that you are referring too. :/

Most of the games back then had less content compared to games nowadays. Its just, this generation, the games with "less" content are more noticeable.

Uhh glitching the game is the closest you can get to hacking, lol.
    People do play games for fun. If the video games weren't fun, then they wouldn't be playing the games. :/

Lvl 4 - Silver

SMB3, Megaman, Double dragon, Donkey kong country and many more.

Those was my childhood memories and probably the best time of my life.

Few days ago Team-Bobo made and "ultimate" tribute to the NES. I have played it and it is great game! You should try it and i will guarantee that you're old memories will come back to you

You may have seen or heard about this already

Here is a trailer:

If you liked it here is the official site to the game and it completely FREE (No download required)
    ABOBO'S BIG ADVENTURE - ULTIMATE TRIBUTE TO THE NES
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

INTJ

having a complete game, companies rarely do this anymore (BUY OUR ELITE PACK FOR 50$ also GET OUR 5$ DLC FOR A GUN AND OUR 7$ DLC FOR THIS CLOTHING.)

keeping the console gaming and pc gaming series entirely separate, pleasing everyone and avoiding shitty versions of games.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I don't miss those times. Why? Because I can still go back to them. I like old games, I like most new games, I can play old and new whenever I feel like it.

I hate DLC, I hate Online Passes, I hate a lot of stuff, but nobody's forcing me to pay for them. And I do understand what you mean, but honestly there are hundreds of great old 90's games that I never got to beat but I still can, so I don't really feel like I need more.
    Plus, today we have so many great games that couldn't have been possible before, like Shadow of the Colossus, BioShock, Red Dead, etc.

There were a lot of terrible games back then as well, but most people tend to forget that. Not all classic games were good, we just have good memories of them that make our opinions different. So if you complain about DLC today I could argue that I used to rent games that were hard as hell but only had 3 stages, I forget how bad and short they were just because I kept dying so much that they seemed long to me.

I just live "in between" and try to experience it all, "the best of both worlds" you could say.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 8 - Gold

Games back then were all about enjoying singleplayer and developers didn't add multiplayer to every game. There were none of the poorly executed DLC releases, where they release DLC a week after the game comes out and developers took more chances when trying to make something new. ( I know production costs are MUCH higher now and taking risks is bad from a business standpoint, but I wish more developers were bold enough to make something that's not common among the games of today.)

I'm talking about the PS1 era here, but games back then had more...soul. Sure, when you go back to them now the graphics suck, the controls are stiff and clunky, but they're still amazing games.

Having said that, this generation has brought us amazing gaming experiences and I thoroughly enjoy it. Production values for games these days are huge and we get a more cinematic experience to get into. Multiplayer can be fun, though I wish it didn't interfere with singleplayed in certain games, as that's what I prefer to play.

Though I'll always like and enjoy playing older games, I won't shy away from what the future brings. I'm looking forward to seeing what technology will bring us, as far as gaming is concerned, but I hope the more traditional singleplayer gaming won't be buried under the popularity of multiplayer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast