Lack of creativity is a result of .....

This is a discussion on Lack of creativity is a result of ..... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Everywhere I read I see posts that say gaming industry is running out of ideas, this is so far from ...

PRO Member

Lack of creativity is a result of .....

Everywhere I read I see posts that say gaming industry is running out of ideas, this is so far from the case. There's a lot if ideas out there, there's no capitol to fund these ideas. The results of having these huge development costs have created a two prong effect. One is that the idea a game has to cost so much to develop to be good is flawed. Yes having advertising dollars and a huge marketing campaign can make a half fast game sell millions but that doesn't make the game better. And the other effect is those who are funding these projects want assurances they are not going to lose there money, so they tend to go for for sure things where there is little to no risk hence you have so when MW 9 is out you will remember this post.

These great studios of today were not always these huge studios, they were once lil guys with a big idea just they had there idea when it was economically viable to pursue it.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

True so true

PRO Member

Yeah. Most of the time a game will be made to make the company more money...there are still some that want to please their fans though.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

And the best way to support these smaller developers is to buy there stuff when you like it, I think the PSN store is like the youtube for struggling musicians a chance to get there stuff out there without the heavy costs of production etc etc, thanks for your feed back !!!!!

Up the Irons!

Sad, but true.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Lvl 4 - Silver

Media Molecule comes to mind. i believe there was just 15 people working on LBP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

The One and Only

So much truth in one post.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Regional Manager of War

Quote Originally Posted by Brohgrick Talonteeth View Post
    Media Molecule comes to mind. i believe there was just 15 people working on LBP.
    LittleBigPlanet saved Media Molecule from going under because they were struggling for awhile. I am glad they are bouncing back up because the LBP series is awesome but underrated at times.

PRO Member

I think I am gonna play some LBP now it was a kick ass game still is ...

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsminion View Post
    And the best way to support these smaller developers is to buy there stuff when you like it, I think the PSN store is like the youtube for struggling musicians a chance to get there stuff out there without the heavy costs of production etc etc, thanks for your feed back !!!!!
    wholeheartedly agree with you. so many good games on psn that i always think, "Why the fuck arent people buying these games???"

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

PRO Member

Alot of truth there, and I'm glad for a commentary like this after that Kojima interview where he said creativity in gaming is dead (Seriously, hate that fucking guy, don't know how so many people like him).

The reality is much of what you said, but I'd also add to the discussion that creative/unique ideas are polarizing. Its just the truth, games that are really popular and innovative are few and far between because once you stray away from the norm you force people to form opinions.

The real reason why games like Call of Duty are popular is the same reason why every Chinese restaurant has Chicken Fried Rice. As long as its not done poorly, its difficult to really hate it because it doesn't register emotionally. It doesn't get your heart pumping, doesn't give you that *zing* something you are attached to does.

Thing is everybody is different, not everybody agrees what that *zing* comes from.

Again, gaming is no different. 85% of us can pick up something like CoD, play it, be entertained then forget we played it an hour later. It just doesn't register with us emotionally. It doesn't make us feel bad or good. It just keeps us from being bored.

Yeah there are the shooter psychos like Bush, and the vibrant shooter haters like Fuckface Kojima, but I am speaking in generalities here.

You can't say something like that though for Valkyria Chronicles, Heavy Rain, Folklore, and the thousand more like them. Those types of titles get you emotionally involved and that involvement naturally forces you to think "I like this" or "I don't." When you do that, you instantly put yourself in the spot of cutting your audience in half.

Thats a good thing if you are me, but not a good thing if you are an accountant.

So, again, you are completely right. I just wanted to add that the polarizing nature of creativity/innovation also causes art to change in 'fits.' This isn't a new concept, not even in gaming. We saw something similar in the NES/SNES days with platformers. Its happening in literature right now with dystopian fiction. Music with dubstep, etc. Things just come in waves.

This is why I always say: Popularity and quality aren't correlated.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Buy my book, Alteration

So true brother.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Its a very sad truth

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Lvl 7 - Gold

Most new IP's never see the market, just because it costs so much money to develop a decent game. And most buyer's stay with games that they are sure off that they recieve quality and decent game hours....
    As long as customers are not willing to try out new IP's the market will stay the same with the same games and franchises every year...

PRO Member

Wow everyone and especially Gauss thanks for your feedback,

Your absolutely correct when you say that once we stray passed the norm we are forced to make opinions, thats pretty deep but you are so right. All I can say is look at things like Lady Ga Ga and what people today call music, popularity definitely does not mean quality

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by NTGSruler View Post
    Most new IP's never see the market, just because it costs so much money to develop a decent game. And most buyer's stay with games that they are sure off that they recieve quality and decent game hours....
    As long as customers are not willing to try out new IP's the market will stay the same with the same games and franchises every year...
    Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, Catherine, Portal, LBP, Resistance, Gears, Borderlands, Bulletstorm, etc...

I think you are confusing new IPs with indie titles. Indie titles take long to grow because they get around on word of mouth.

Still though, Minecraft...
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Legend...Nuff Said

There are lots of new ideas coming out. I don't buy the media story about there being a lack of creativity in games. Even Kojima himself in that interview didn't say 'creativity was dead'. The media has to misrepresent everything and misquote people to get flashy headlines to get you to buy their cool-aid.

The problem is the media (who I will define as the video game websites) don't know how to define 'creative' and 'innovative'. But when something comes out thats new and fresh, or re-uses a concept that has not been seen in a long time, they complain about it if it doesn't hit a home run and make them pee their pants. I believe the average run of the mill gamer doesn't think that creativity is lacking in gaming. I think its just the media making a big deal out of something to get flashy headlines so you'll fill their coffers by viewing their websites.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

Fucking hell this is such a dead set post.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The only way this would ever change is if no one bought the ACs and the CODs, which is highly unlikely, as their products cater their fanbases's every need in a game, and they are content.