Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Having a Hard Time Sticking to Games

This is a discussion on Having a Hard Time Sticking to Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It depends on game really, I too have some that I played for 1 (maybe 2) sessions and then just ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

It depends on game really, I too have some that I played for 1 (maybe 2) sessions and then just set aside, and I doubt I'll be picking them up.

PS3 specific games and a brief explanation:

Red Dead Redemption (it was just nothing I expected... horse mechanics irritate me to no end, and the game went on with sluggish pace... tried getting in to it multiple times, don't think I'll be picking it up again. SHELF4LIFE)

Just Cause 2 (maybe will pick this up again... I generally suck at games that have difficulty settings (LOOK AT GTA! IT HAS NO DIFFICULTY SETTING YET IT WORKS!) and when I play on easy - it gets boring quickly... also the game isn't exactly what I was expecting, it's ok, but it's not great)

Borderlands (picked this up because people recommended it to me after fallout 3. Disappointed. That is all.)

Assassins Creed 2 (I have no idea why this series is so highly praised, I played this game for ~4 hours, it's the same repetitive bullcrap over and over. The parkour was nice, but it got old REAL fast. Will never pick this up again, SHELF4LIFE)

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (loved the first one, this one is almost identical, absolutely nothing to hold me over. Maybe I'll pick it up on a rainy day to button mash some, but I definitely don't feel like it's special in any way.)

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (bought this cause it was made by Criterion (same guys who made Burnout games) and I just can't play it. It's nothing like burnout, the controls are SO STIFF, it's impossible to turn your car. Maybe that's closer to actual driving IRL than burnout games were, but it doesn't make me enjoy this game any more than I can.)

Red Alert 3 (bought this on sale for just 18 pounds, I remember I loved the first 2 red alerts. Still... I prefer my RTS games with a mouse.)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (picked this up because of all the praise. I have no idea what people see in this game plus I hate this god damn view from over shoulder. Gameplay seemed boring and fighting was just one big quicktime event, and it was putting me to sleep... Tried to play this multiple times, but alas. SHELF4LIFE)

Dragonball Raging Blast (bought this cause I FUCKING LOVE Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on PS2. To be honest, there were some improvements over that game, but mostly there were fuckups. The camera is all fucked up, I shit you not! There are no "What if.." battles (as far as I could see) and the story mode, well... I watched DBZ about 3 times and then watched remastered version one time, I beat Budokai Tenkaichi 3 multiple times so... I'm kinda tired of revisiting the same thing for 10th time. Maybe I should pick up the sequels to this game, but I'm not sure if I want to, as for the game itself - SHELF4LIFE)

The Saboteur (I just can't get into the whole nazi storylines. They don't excite me at all. I had to put down (temporarily) Wolfenstein, cause while gameplay was awesome, I still felt like I was doing nothing, I'm completely unattached to both these games. Now gameplay was good... GTA in the 40's, plus some parkour elements.. yeah it was not so bad.. Maybe I'll pick this up at some point again, until then - it's shelf space for you)

Bottom line is - if you don't like the game - don't play it. Unless you're into trophies, but whatever man. If I'm not enjoying doing something - I'm not gonna do it. Now I did sell some games in the past (dead rising 2, sf4, prince of persia collection) but not anymore! Collecting is where it's at! That's one thing I can do with any game - and enjoy it too

Lvl 7 - Gold

I am about t this point myself. I have a backlog of about 7 games right now. Usually, I take advantage of Gamestop sales like buy 2 get 1 free and now I have games I wouldn't normally buy because they were free (like eat lead and bioshock 2). My thought was that I would plat these games but I don't really wanna put in the time on a game I don't like. I also have completed some games like Uncharted 3 but I don't wanna go back and play the hard playthrough or find collectables. I too just platted Skyrim and it had a strange effect on me when I stopped playing it because I was so hooked. My advice is maybe bounce around on your games until something catches your attention or take a break altogether. Either way I hope you get it figured out and get back to enjoying trophy hunting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by juliuspleezer View Post
    I have games I wouldn't normally buy because they were free (like eat lead and bioshock 2)..
    Have fun with Eat Lead if you ever play it... I'm 2 levels away from the platinum playing on the hardest level... which will give me 3 trophies including the platinum... and I can barely stomach playing it.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Haven't been on a trophy draught for a while as my last ones were pretty damn huge. Over the past 2 months I've played a load of new games and so have got a load more trophies. For the last 2 months I've been bouncing around my games at an epic pace, only settling on 1 game for a maximum of 4 days before moving on. Now I am starting to go back to older games (Dead Space 2) and am even going on the platted LBP2 to try and FINALLY finish my level (Play it, it's AWESOME)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoomHorror View Post
    It depends on game really, I too have some that I played for 1 (maybe 2) sessions and then just set aside, and I doubt I'll be picking them up.

PS3 specific games and a brief explanation:

Red Dead Redemption (it was just nothing I expected... horse mechanics irritate me to no end, and the game went on with sluggish pace... tried getting in to it multiple times, don't think I'll be picking it up again. SHELF4LIFE)

Just Cause 2 (maybe will pick this up again... I generally suck at games that have difficulty settings (LOOK AT GTA! IT HAS NO DIFFICULTY SETTING YET IT WORKS!) and when I play on easy - it gets boring quickly... also the game isn't exactly what I was expecting, it's ok, but it's not great)

Borderlands (picked this up because people recommended it to me after fallout 3. Disappointed. That is all.)

Assassins Creed 2 (I have no idea why this series is so highly praised, I played this game for ~4 hours, it's the same repetitive bullcrap over and over. The parkour was nice, but it got old REAL fast. Will never pick this up again, SHELF4LIFE)

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift (loved the first one, this one is almost identical, absolutely nothing to hold me over. Maybe I'll pick it up on a rainy day to button mash some, but I definitely don't feel like it's special in any way.)

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (bought this cause it was made by Criterion (same guys who made Burnout games) and I just can't play it. It's nothing like burnout, the controls are SO STIFF, it's impossible to turn your car. Maybe that's closer to actual driving IRL than burnout games were, but it doesn't make me enjoy this game any more than I can.)

Red Alert 3 (bought this on sale for just 18 pounds, I remember I loved the first 2 red alerts. Still... I prefer my RTS games with a mouse.)

Batman: Arkham Asylum (picked this up because of all the praise. I have no idea what people see in this game plus I hate this god damn view from over shoulder. Gameplay seemed boring and fighting was just one big quicktime event, and it was putting me to sleep... Tried to play this multiple times, but alas. SHELF4LIFE)

Dragonball Raging Blast (bought this cause I FUCKING LOVE Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on PS2. To be honest, there were some improvements over that game, but mostly there were fuckups. The camera is all fucked up, I shit you not! There are no "What if.." battles (as far as I could see) and the story mode, well... I watched DBZ about 3 times and then watched remastered version one time, I beat Budokai Tenkaichi 3 multiple times so... I'm kinda tired of revisiting the same thing for 10th time. Maybe I should pick up the sequels to this game, but I'm not sure if I want to, as for the game itself - SHELF4LIFE)

The Saboteur (I just can't get into the whole nazi storylines. They don't excite me at all. I had to put down (temporarily) Wolfenstein, cause while gameplay was awesome, I still felt like I was doing nothing, I'm completely unattached to both these games. Now gameplay was good... GTA in the 40's, plus some parkour elements.. yeah it was not so bad.. Maybe I'll pick this up at some point again, until then - it's shelf space for you)

Bottom line is - if you don't like the game - don't play it. Unless you're into trophies, but whatever man. If I'm not enjoying doing something - I'm not gonna do it. Now I did sell some games in the past (dead rising 2, sf4, prince of persia collection) but not anymore! Collecting is where it's at! That's one thing I can do with any game - and enjoy it too
    To sum that all up... YES COLLECTING! haha i was thinking that the whole time. I too want to keep games for colection purposes.. i even bought the first two uncharted games in a bundle AFTER i had already beaten and platted them when i borrowed them from a friend. When it comes to collecting i keep the "Gems"

#hashtag

Its just a phase my dad is in his 40's and he started gaming again after almost 20 years so yeah......

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I always have an extremely hard time sticking with ay games. (Fuck you ADHD )

I still don't know how I managed to do DS2 in 3 sittings...

PRO Member

My backlog games are: Assassins Creed: Revelations, Infamous 2, Brutal Legend (dont really care to play this at all..), Battlefield 3 (SINGLE PLAYER), and Dead Island...

PRO Member

Normally I like to bounce around between 3 or 4 games to keep grinds from becoming too tedious, but I made myself a goal to get 100% in every game I currently have on my list before I start anything new, which unfortunately has led to a number of bought titles still in shrink wrap It has given me the determination to finish up my lists though as I'm desperate to play some of those titles in that "waiting list" lol. So I guess my problem is the reverse. As someone stated already the best thing you can do is ride it out, but another way to do it if you find yourself really wanting to knock those games out (until the familiar title screen pops up) is set goals for yourself. Longterm goal get the plat, short term goal, work towards trophy x for 1 hour, or get 15 kills a day or something to that effect... That type of thing can really make a seeming endless grind feel a little bit more like measured progress.

The One and Only

I have a similar problem like yours. For one it isn't as bad since I can't afford to buy alot of games in a short time, but the games I do have and need to work on I could never stick to. I keep jumping around games and eventually never play them while they lower my average trophy percentage in my PSN account

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Plats-O'-War!!

Yep! I have the same problem. Thing is: My larger than life backlog is the only thing that's slowing me down from reserving a few new games

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I have a similar problem like yours. For one it isn't as bad since I can't afford to buy alot of games in a short time, but the games I do have and need to work on I could never stick to. I keep jumping around games and eventually never play them while they lower my average trophy percentage in my PSN account
    Yeah i hear ya on the whole trophy percentage thing... I hate when u start a game, get literally like 2 trophies and decide you dont like it. Now you have a big stupid 2% completion staring u in the face...

Closing this account

do what i do. dont buy games just for the trophies, buy them because you like to enjoy the story. my platinum list my not be prefect but i only play games i enjoy. am not a trophy hunter or a trophy whore but more of a gamer that enjoy them for their stories or certain game modes. just ask yourself why did you really buy a certain game? i have 26 ps3 games but that number will drop dramatically to 12.

illegal in 9 countries

I have dozens of games on my trophy card that you can tell have only been played once to see what the game was like.
    I have dozens more that are still in shrink-wrap, eager for my tender touch.

If I can't get into a game straight away, I'll put it to the side with plans to come back to it later. But with so many other games to play, it's proving a challenge...

PRO Member

Another reason why I get stumped like this is because say i get a game that i enjoy. Ill want to play it through to enjoy it, but i think to myself, "i dont wanna have to go back and do stuff all over again to complete the whooole trophy set..." i dont know if thats just lazyness, but it sucks lol

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyMetalman View Post
    Another reason why I get stumped like this is because say i get a game that i enjoy. Ill want to play it through to enjoy it, but i think to myself, "i dont wanna have to go back and do stuff all over again to complete the whooole trophy set..." i dont know if thats just lazyness, but it sucks lol
    dont worry about the trophy set. just enjoy the game first. if you feel like 100% it later, then do it. i am getting a couple of games even though the online servers are done, i just enjoy them.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

My problem is the same where I have so many games at one time and then I seem to trade them in and then have nothing to play waiting for something new. On boxing day I bought Assisan's creed revelations (19.99) saints row the third (29.99) need for speed the run (39.99) ratchet and clank all 4 one (29.99) and then I traded them in last week for the ps vita first edition bundle and now I don't have much to play. When I did get all the games I was switching them out one hour at a time only wanting to play one then another then another.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by jay_hawk12 View Post
    do what i do. dont buy games just for the trophies, buy them because you like to enjoy the story. my platinum list my not be prefect but i only play games i enjoy. am not a trophy hunter or a trophy whore but more of a gamer that enjoy them for their stories or certain game modes. just ask yourself why did you really buy a certain game? i have 26 ps3 games but that number will drop dramatically to 12.
    Yep this is exactly what I do cause I don't see the point buying a game I might not like just for trophies, waste of time and money. That was my problem though too many games with good stories and they were on special for Christmas. Gotten over it but now I've gone metal buying tv shows lol.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

MK Plat = Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Trunksu25 View Post
    Normally I like to bounce around between 3 or 4 games to keep grinds from becoming too tedious, but I made myself a goal to get 100% in every game I currently have on my list before I start anything new, which unfortunately has led to a number of bought titles still in shrink wrap It has given me the determination to finish up my lists though as I'm desperate to play some of those titles in that "waiting list" lol. So I guess my problem is the reverse. As someone stated already the best thing you can do is ride it out, but another way to do it if you find yourself really wanting to knock those games out (until the familiar title screen pops up) is set goals for yourself. Longterm goal get the plat, short term goal, work towards trophy x for 1 hour, or get 15 kills a day or something to that effect... That type of thing can really make a seeming endless grind feel a little bit more like measured progress.
    That's a pretty sweet routine you have worked there. Well thought out.

That is exactly what I did after I discovered the Trophy Virus. I vowed to complete every game to . Little did I know that I had two really hard s to complete. So far, I've kept up with it. Completing all of my first 9 games was very rewarding.

I also think it helps that I thoroughly research any potential game to make sure I'll like it. Never buy a game based on trophies.

PRO Member

I usually always check ign for reviews on games. I just want want and want thats a big contributor to my problemm lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast