Oklahoma Rep Wants Bonus Tax On Violent Games

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Rep Wants Bonus Tax On Violent Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Just thought I would share this little bit of information for you guys, I'm not sure if anyone on here ...

Nope, nothing

Oklahoma Rep Wants Bonus Tax On Violent Games

Just thought I would share this little bit of information for you guys, I'm not sure if anyone on here is from Oklahoma but who knows.

KOCO-TV reports that Oklahoma state representative William Fourkiller has proposed a new law placing a one percent tax on any game rated teen, mature, or adults only by the ESRB. The extra tax money would go toward programs to prevent bullying and childhood obesity. Fourkiller explained:

"Violent video games contribute to some of our societal problems like obesity and bullying, but because they raise a lot of revenue, they can also provide part of the solution."

The KOCO report notes that "a typical $50 game would cost 50 cents more," but as most readers probably know that would actually be a 60 cent increase for the average PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 new release.
    Here's a question taken directly from the article;

"Do you think this kind of law makes sense or is it unfair to target video games specifically in attempts to help with the serious problems of obesity and bullying in our schools?"

Resident PHD

How do violent video games cause obesity anymore than non-violent videogames sounds like kind of a stretch to me.

Why aren't parents ever blamed for not raising their kids right? I was playing Mortal Kombat and Goldeneye yet I was also an A student, a patrol/conflict manager and was involved in basketball and swimming.

also this

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Legend...Nuff Said

Parents arn't blamed because it'd be bad for the politicians who want their vote. Would you vote for someone who called you irresponsible and unfit to raise a child? Whether or not it is true or not it'd ruffle feathers, and hurt the egos of the masses.

Its a major stretch, but I can buy into the obesity part some. If all your doing is playing games all day and eating chips and drinking soda, then yes, your going to get fat. Video games are easy to target for it because it is one of the most popular activities for kids to do that require almost no exercise.
    Should the people have to pay a tax for it? If they were going to tax McDonalds and Coke and Pepsi and Hostess for all the junk food, part of me would grudgingly accept it. But to single out only one would be unfair and shameful.

As to the bullying aspect, I disagree with it. Sure, if a bully knows that someone plays video games and is going to bully him for it, video games are the weapon. But the weapon bullies use could be anything and everything. They are going to bully the person unless someone stops them from doing it. If they don't use the knowledge of video games as a weapon, they could use chess, or grades, or weight, or their family, or anything.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

MK Plat = Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    They are going to bully the person unless someone stops them from doing it. If they don't use the knowledge of video games as a weapon, they could use chess, or grades, or weight, or their family, or anything.
    Chess? You don't mean the strategy-board game do you?

Does anybody else find it funny that Chambers, from the UK, is doing a post about a state in the dead center of the US? It may as well be BFE to him/her. Big ups to Chambers.

On subject, I could care less. It's not going to solve anything. It's the same as our over-breeding problem. The world knows about it but nobody, except China, will ever address it. Freaking wacko.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

There are always going to be problems and taxing a video game is not the answer.