Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What are they thinking? Square Enix rant

This is a discussion on What are they thinking? Square Enix rant within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Lasombra I agree that Japan is not the centre that it used to but but I don't ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I agree that Japan is not the centre that it used to but but I don't believe its because Japan lost its shine. I believe its because western game companies are picking up their game and putting out titles of quality that gamers want to play, unlike in the NES/SNES days. This doesn't mean Japan is losing the qualities war, it just means western developers are actually putting up a noticeable fight for once.

In my opinion Japan needs to stay Japanese and shouldn't try to pander to the western audience. The gamers who love the more "Japanized' games are going to love them no matter what, and trying to do a half-japan/half-western hybrid is just going to be a disaster in the long term. The hardcore Japanized gamer will not like the western aspect in their game, and the western gamer is just going to complain that the game is not fully western.
    You make some excellent points! I agree with you that Western devs have been stepping up their game...in games *cough* That is where the disparity occurs! Before we only had one strong reference point: Japanese games. Now, we have both. The trouble is that Japanese devs will always direct their games at the Japanese market, first, foremost, and many times exclusively. Sometimes there is that polarity as mentioned above. Either one creates waves amongst Western consumers because 1) Western devs are now an equal if not greater player in the gaming market, and 2)hybridized games from Japanese developers fail with its core fanbase by dissappointing them, and fails with the potential new fans by not being enough of one thing or another.
    I hope I'm not coming across as a Japan (developer) basher, as that is the farthest thing from the truth (note my current location). However, I think there needs to be more of a realization that a lot of J-developed games are originally not intended for N. Americans/Europeans. Even so, if the game is good, regardless of its intended audience, it will sell. I am trying to say, however, that a little variety from our longtime favorites would be nice...Western devs included.

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Clearly the Japanese gaming market is dying fast, because Western RPG's seem to be the big thing now. I honestly think that Square hates money.
    First, sorry for cutting most of your post, but the above statements piqued my interest. First off, the Japanese gaming market isn't dying in the least. They continue to produce a large quantity of, usually, high quality games. Despite an increased foreign presence, year after year, Tokyo Game Show continues to be PACKED with games from Japanese developers, large and small. Even in the RPG sense, JRPGs continue to sell by the truckloads. However, most of those games never make it stateside. Just because we don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.
    Also your "Square hates money" comment is kinda ridiculous. Japan, more so than any other country, thrives off merchandising. If they make a game, an anime, a movie, whatever...they will merchandise the ever-living shit out of it! Even if a game doesn't do so well, Square gets boatloads of money by making figurines, mini-busts, posters, cards, keychains, clothes, soundtracks, accessories, etc. etc. Again, they are looking at their primary intended audience, Japanese people. It's very rare that Japanese products are produced, or sequels are made, for the sake of Western demand.
    Last edited by TheGentleBeast; 02-02-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: mistake in formatting

Props to Bladia for Sig!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

But here's another point about the Japenese market compared to the Western. The PS Vita is it not selling as well because there are only western games for it where the marekt is craving for some jrpgs or some games that marekt to the japenese marekt? I know Square enix is making Final Fantasy X for it but do you think they should be making more games for it so that the Japenese marekt will buy it?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

If we're gonna talk Vita and Square...
    Sony seems to have a practice of putting out hardware and hoping devs will have games ready by the release date. When PS3 came out, I think there was one releae title: a Gundam game. So, I imagine the lack of sales is partly to do with no J-directed games out at the moment...and the fact that the system isn't exactly cheap. Essentially, I personally don't think the market was ready for the Vita to be released. Sure, adding Square into the mix might help things move along, but I'm not going to say that is a bad move on Square's part. They have their projects and their intended release dates/platforms. I'm willing to bet that we will get ANOTHER round of re-releases of FF1-6 for the Vita before a brand new game. But thats because Square KNOWS those will sell!

Props to Bladia for Sig!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

You are correct in saying that they will try to milk the games they have already made before they try and make something new. But I think this E3 we should hear something about Final Fantasy XV. The XIII saga should not have been announced as 4 different games because in my opinion it is a waste of money, time, and developers when they could be working on better and different projects. I'm not saying XIII-2 shouldn't have been made I'm just saying that it should stop after XIII-2 we don't need Versus XIII and I think it was called Augito XIII

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I'm kinda with you there. They should have made XIII, and if they wanted to add on to it, do so later, with fully formed and finished ideas. Not the "we'll get it done....at some point....later..." thing that it turned out to be. Agito, by the way got changed to Type-0, and came out for PSP a couple months ago. Still waiting for Versus.....
    Essentially Square saw the extreme success and popularity of VII, and the "Compilation of" that followed it and tried to repeat that with XIII. Problem is that they didn't wait to see if it would be as successful before announcing the Fabula Novela, or whatever. I agree this is silly of them, and I too wish they would get on with making XV or KINGDOM HEARTS 3, for the love of all that is holy, KH3!! But, so long as the merchandising engine, that Square is, continues to rake in cash from said merchandising, they will milk their current IP for far longer than it would take to develop a new game. Sad, but apparently the current truth.

Props to Bladia for Sig!

PRO Member

i like square enix better when they were square soft!!!!!
    but to answer your question, yse i do think they have Fallen.................... Main reason i brough my Ps3 was for a Kingdom Hearts 3 and possible FF Versus 13..... at this rate i prolly see neither

Lvl 3 - Bronze

With 49 platinums, two games that don't exist were your main reason for getting a PS3?! hahaha!!

Props to Bladia for Sig!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

If memory serves me that Enix and SquareSoft got into hot water before. If you wanted proof before the merger than Dragon Quest 4 for PS 1 got cancelled while SquareSoft did that Final Fantasy movie that got em into hot water. So both companies merged and some things did come good out of it (Kingdom Hearts 2, FF 12 and ect) than some disappointment from fans. I myself did enjoy some of their stuff which includes Dragon Quest 9, the remakes of DQ 4-6 since I did miss out on 5 and 6 and well I might be only one who enjoy Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7. They did made the Disidia games too which was good.

I think the problem is the fans gotten disappointed over time with some JRPGs and some of them are new fans who never experience grinding like crazy in FF 6 on leveling the Espers and the Western games like Bioware and Bethesda that offered open world exploring and morality system in some of those games. The other problem I think is that they are afraid to release those good sequels for instance I would love to see Kingdom Hearts 3 for this generation instead of rehashes or spin offs. To me I'm still going to get a few of their games just going to reserve my judgement on which ones to get now, when it drops or pass on it.
    Lord Fenton
    Gaming since the days of Kings Quest 3

Working On: Dungeon Defenders and Batman:AC(PS3) and Borderlands (PC Steam) til I start round 2 of my BG:EE good guy this time.
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrimFenton

Korean Girl Group Groupie

So you don't want to play a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, keep waiting for a Kingdom Hearts 3 and don't like Square Enix's current direction? This somehow equates to them not thinking properly?

The only major failure Square Enix has made was Final Fantasy XIV, everything else the Japanese company makes, first party, goes onto sell like gangbusters.

They've done surprisingly well, considering how other Japanese companies are finding ways of trimming employees to keep afloat, Square Enix has managed to aquire Taito, Eidos, and other various small studios that have equaled jobs for many small time companies and chances to develop their projects under a world class publisher.

I may not agree with a lot of the decisions Wada makes, and especially with a lot of his "gaming" decisions - but Square Enix has far but floundered on the market, and particularly in it's handheld titles, have released titles that still help define platforms.

I may also feel that Tetsuya Nomura has developed a bit of a "Kojima complex" in which he believes he is some kind of video game demigod and can do no wrong, and has held up a large portion of Square Enix's resources and IP's hostage to his own creative whims - but that being said, the guy hasn't released a game yet that I didn't feel was well worth my money and time.

I don't think that Square Enix has anything wrong with them, except a bunch of people who complain about no longer being their fans with idle threats, but still buying their products and anticipate them with baited breath. So in the end they have an overly critical fan base that talk a big talk, but at the end of the day still contribute to their sales.

They may not release as many titles as they used to, and they may not be releasing perennial GOTY contenders, but they still release quality titles that sell well, and have a dedicated fanbase; and until they take a large enough hit in the sales department that they feel an actual impact that hurts the current direction of the company, they will continue to do things the way they feel like doing - which due to me not exactly seeing a major drop-off in the quality of titles that they release, is something I really don't have a major problem with.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Click-Click-Kaboom

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    So you don't want to play a sequel to Final Fantasy XIII, keep waiting for a Kingdom Hearts 3 and don't like Square Enix's current direction? This somehow equates to them not thinking properly?

The only major failure Square Enix has made was Final Fantasy XIV, everything else the Japanese company makes, first party, goes onto sell like gangbusters.

They've done surprisingly well, considering how other Japanese companies are finding ways of trimming employees to keep afloat, Square Enix has managed to aquiare Taito, Eidos, and other various small studios that have equaled jobs for many small time companies and chances to develop their projects under a world class publisher.

I may not agree with a lot of the decisions Wada makes, and especially with a lot of his decisions - but Square Enix has far but floundered on the market, and particularly in it's handheld titles, have released titles that still help define platforms.

I may also feel that Tetsuya Nomura has developed a bit of a "Kojima complex" in which he believes he is some kind of video game demigod and can do no wrong, and has held up a large portion of Square Enix's resources and IP's hostage to his own creative whims - but that being said, the guy hasn't released a game yet that I didn't feel was well worth my money and time.

I don't think that Square Enix has anything wrong with them, except a bunch of people who complain about no longer being their fans with idle threats, but still buying their products and anticipate them with baited breath. So in the end they have an overly critical fan base that talk a big talk, but at the end of the day still contribute to their sales.

They may not release as many titles as they used to, and they may not be releasing perennial GOTY contenders, but they still release quality titles that sell well, and have a dedicated fanbase; and until they take a large enough hit in the sales department that they feel an actual impact that hurts the current direction of the company, they will continue to do things the way they feel like doing - which due to me not exactly seeing a major drop-off in the quality of titles that they release, is something I really don't have a major problem with.
    This sums it up how I feel also. Great post Rubicant81! *Rep*

PSN- Il_WidowmakeR_Il

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheGentleBeast View Post
    With 49 platinums, two games that don't exist were your main reason for getting a PS3?! hahaha!!
    lmao xD yeah tell me about it...... i tend to do that..........
    like i brought FFVll before i had a Ps1............. i tend to buy something before i have the actually thing, like getting ready for it before it comes........ if you kinda get what i mean......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12