Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

What are they thinking? Square Enix rant

This is a discussion on What are they thinking? Square Enix rant within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ok I have a rant to go onto and this has been bothering me for a little bit. My problem ...

  1. #1
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hamilton ON
    Posts
    179
    Reputation
    4

    What are they thinking? Square Enix rant

    Ok I have a rant to go onto and this has been bothering me for a little bit. My problem is with Square Enix and the "decisions" they have been making recently. This is a company who could announce four games at E3 and everyone would ooo and ahhh about how great it is going to be and get all gamers excited and wait for more news to drip out. In my opinion ever since Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts 2 the company either seems to have gone downhill or doesn't have as much power over the video gaming world as it used to.

    Sure Final Fantasy XIII-2 just came out and I have yet to play it but I remember when VIII and IX and X were almost ready to come out I saved as much money as I could to buy those games and invest hours into them. But for Final Fantasy XIII-2 I knew it was coming out but I just had no interest in pre-ordering it or even any interest to buy it. Was it the story?, the characters?, or the setting I didn't like about FF XIII that didn't make me care about this one? Or is it the fact that as gamers we are always looking for something new and innovative and the next big thing.

    With FF XIV a flop on the PC they have stated that they were going to reboot it and rerelase it. Now Skyrim is an amazing RPG and it is single player. Why do we need another mmorpg when there should be another great Final Fantasy game? They sold tons of copies of the other games without making them mmorpgs and giving the games a great experience.

    The Kingdom Hearts saga is another one that really puzzles me. The first two for the PS2 sold millions and everyone loved them and they story telling was great. Where is the next installment in the franchise? Instead we get prequal after prequal on the DS and one on the PSP that has never been able to be bought over PSN (Psp go owner and soon to be Vita owner here) Will we ever see a Kingdom hearts 3 on the PS3 or on the Xbox 360 or will we have to wait till the next generation to get what we want?

    I also have read an article from a CEO at Square Enix saying "I think we took a little too long getting [Final Fantasy XIII] out. When you think of Western triple A titles like call of duty and battlefield 3 and assians creed that get relased every year" With this the only problem would be that you get games that are rushed jobs that will just need to be patched later. I do agree that they should release more triple A titles but at they same time they shouldn't take forever to come out.

    What are some of your opinions on how Square Enix is doing. Have they fallen from grace? How do you think they could do better? And if they are doing a good job in your opinion what are they doing right?

  2. #2
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    Kami's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    249
    Reputation
    9

    I have the same feeling about KH series. The first two games for PS2 sold millions and somehow they decide to make more games but only for handhelds like 3DS, PSP etc. What's the point? Why not PS3 and X360?

    Just wondering...

    But i like the new Final fantasy games XIII and XIII-2. I believe that the games have changed so much because it's now Square-enix instead of Squaresoft. Soon as Squaresoft "merged" with Enix Final fantasies weren't that great.

    This is all just what i think happened but it could be also that Square-Enix wanted to try new things in Final fantasy and wasn't concentrating on the plot.
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

  3. #3
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    YumeOMiru's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Reality, sadly......
    Posts
    1,463
    Reputation
    26

    I think they lost touch with delivering jaw smacking products, instead of doing it bigger better and more awesome they just played safe. And letīs be honest, sure they play safe but they delivered at least 1 good thing each year (under the publishers name).

    And I still have some hope left for Versus to leave us all empty wallets. Crisis Core was made after their "fusion", and thatīs my favourite FF game.

    But I agree with you for the most part. Good rant.
    Hand-bra Jeans

    The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

    Medaka Box


  4. #4
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    Kami's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    249
    Reputation
    9

    Accidents happen?
    Just kidding You're right about Crisis core. Guess it was just that they wanted to add new stuff and forgot the important stuff like plot etc.

    I just hope that they won't screw FFX HD remake
    -Feel free to add me on PSN (Kami_Gunn). Don't leave a blank message .

  5. #5
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    TheGentleBeast's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Saitama, Japan
    Posts
    100
    Reputation
    1

    Really, it just seems to be a common problem with a lot of developers from Japan. As people like Inafune, Mikami and Kojima have stated, Japanese developers are sticking to their old guns, which doesn't work in today's gaming world/environment. Creativity and new ideas are being largely ignored, and the same old tropes are being pushed. Maybe its the fact that Japanese developers are working with less money, and are afraid to shell out for a potential flop. But either way, I wouldn't say it is a "Squenix" problem, so much as it is a problem with Japanese developers on the whole.

    Props to Bladia for Sig!

  6. #6
    PRO Member
    daftprophet's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,593
    Reputation
    345

    It seems that the problem people are having is that they are expecting a more "Wrpg" experience as they're used to Fallout, Skyrim, etc. But what they should understand is that the Final Fantasy games aren't like that at all. Each one is a good game for what it is. But to comment about Squeenix, I haven't been the biggest fan of how they have changed from Square and Squaresoft with the way the games were made.






    |
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

    |Avy - Animals As Leaders|




  7. #7
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    YumeOMiru's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Reality, sadly......
    Posts
    1,463
    Reputation
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    It seems that the problem people are having is that they are expecting a more "Wrpg" experience as they're used to Fallout, Skyrim, etc. But what they should understand is that the Final Fantasy games aren't like that at all. Each one is a good game for what it is. But to comment about Squeenix, I haven't been the biggest fan of how they have changed from Square and Squaresoft with the way the games were made.
    Where did you get that? I mean people buy FF for "jrpg" experience.
    Hand-bra Jeans

    The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

    Medaka Box


  8. #8
    Mini Ninja
    wick3d_turtle's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    191
    Reputation
    8

    I never liked the idea of the FF series turning into an MMORPG. I think FF XI and FF XIV would have been better suited as spin-offs rather than a part of the series. I'm also amazed that with all the sequels SE has released, FF VI and FF VII have been completely ignored. I think those two easily rank as the best in the FF series. Where's the love for them?

    Additionally, as a huge Chrono Trigger fan, I'm very disappointed that nothing has been done on that front. CT is one of their classics, and its sequel Chrono Cross was one of the great PS1 RPGs. It's now been over a decade since CC was released. I can't believe that SE would let this series collect dust when it has done so well.

    Squaresoft (yes, minus Enix) used to be one of my favorite game companies. Their style of storytelling was top-notch in the 90's. Some of their recent games, however, have a lot of flash and not so much substance. I keep hoping that they're just going through a hiccup and that they'll eventually pull it together.

    In short, I agree with the OP's points.


  9. #9
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    soulless94's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    255
    Reputation
    4

    since Final Fantasy X (when i started into FF) & Kingdom Hearts (the only 2 series that have reached through my soul), Square Enix has been locked in as deep as anime sinks into me (and that's blood-deep)so i find no faultsand stick with it til the endbesides, i despise rantsif you don't like it, don't buy itbut never disrespect the art that is given to younever
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

  10. #10
    Platinum Dohvakiin
    platzreign's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    This Side of Hell
    Posts
    938
    Reputation
    57

    I think the problem the Japanese Publishers/ Developers have encountered is. It's not so much that they are not innovative enough. In the 90's Japanese Developers were at the top of the gaming industry. JRPG's were the rpg's to play on the last gen. But it wasn't because WRPG's sucked. It was just that WRPG's became predictable. Because western games fallow the same 3 act setup as western movies. Act 1 you are clueless, Act 2 you get a plethora of information. And Act 3 is the epiphany act when you figure out how it fits together. And you can just insert predictable ending for movie/game genre here.
    What the Japanese Developers did last gen was bridge how eastern stories were told. And created hybrid games that would appeal to both eastern and western audiences. But in this gen with western games taking the forefront. The Japanese developers have done one of two things. Either they've made there games more eastern and less appealing to the western audiences. Or the made them more western. Take Platinum Games for example. Bayonnetta was created by an entirely Asian staff. Yet the game is told in a completely western way. But it still has it's completely over the top eastern fighting style and animation. Which made the game polarizing as hell. Either you like it, or you hate it. Bayonetta has no in between.
    You add in the fact that there really hasn't been a JRPG this generation. That has done exceptionally well. The RPG market has been dominated by WRPG's this generation. And for a lot of new gamers. WRPG's are the only RPG's they know of. I know plenty of people who have never played a FF or JRPG for that matter. And they hated FF13. Because for them an RPG is Oblivion, Mass Effect or Dragon Age. I'm not saying that JRPG's are not on this gen. They clearly are. But most gamers now. If you asked them to name one besides FF13 or WKC. They wouldn't be able to do it.
    For the most part. The JRPG's I've played this gen. Are more eastern and less hybrid, like they were in the 90's. And for the most part. The people who play JRPG's now. Are the ones who have played them in the past. There are not as many new people playing them. Not because they are not out there. But because for a lot of gamers now. The JRPG genre doesn't appeal to them. Because they can't fallow the story telling in them.
    What made Japanese developers so good last gen. Was their ability to bridge both cultures. Something they have either forgot how to do. Or just abondond completely. Because now they make games for one or the other. But not for both. And it's that middle ground that brought them success.
    SE has been making bad descions for a while now. And it's not just this gen. FF12 was the start of their down turn. People didn't hate the story. A lot of people hated the battle system. Because it was so dumbed down. And the fact that it was too western for a FF game. That and the fact that they made summoning almost obsolete. Which is the same arguments people have with FF13. FF13 is just too western and not enough FF. Sure you still have the slow convoluted FF story. But its told in a western action movie sort of way. Which made you either not connect with the characters. Or just flat out hate some of them. Because you were pretty much forced to play as the ones you didn't like. Which was something you never really had to do in any FF game before. Which is the state of a lot of Japanese Developers these days. Too much of one and not enough of the other.

    Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide


    Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW




  11. #11
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGentleBeast View Post
    Really, it just seems to be a common problem with a lot of developers from Japan. As people like Inafune, Mikami and Kojima have stated, Japanese developers are sticking to their old guns, which doesn't work in today's gaming world/environment. Creativity and new ideas are being largely ignored, and the same old tropes are being pushed. Maybe its the fact that Japanese developers are working with less money, and are afraid to shell out for a potential flop. But either way, I wouldn't say it is a "Squenix" problem, so much as it is a problem with Japanese developers on the whole.
    I think its unfair to say only the Japanese are sticking to their guns. The western companies do it just as much. Halo, CoD, and Uncharted for example are basically the same game re-hashed. The difference is the western audience loves those games and are willing to be hypocrites with their response to them.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  12. #12
    Lvl 3 - Bronze
    TheGentleBeast's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Saitama, Japan
    Posts
    100
    Reputation
    1

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    I think its unfair to say only the Japanese are sticking to their guns. The western companies do it just as much. Halo, CoD, and Uncharted for example are basically the same game re-hashed. The difference is the western audience loves those games and are willing to be hypocrites with their response to them.

    Good point! However, the difference is that Japan is no longer the "center" of gaming as it used to be. Companies, like Squeenix, seem to be noting how difficult it is to stay pertinent in the Western markets and, as Platzreign stated, are polarizing how they make their games. For the most part, they are reverting and directing their games almost exclusively for Eastern/Japanese audiences, while Western developers are looking at a global platform. And when J-devs do this, the opinions get polarized as well.
    Here is a real life example. My brother played FFXIII. He enjoyed the characters and the story, but hated the gameplay and linear aspect of it. My friend Mao, a Japanese girl, played FXIII and loved EVERYTHING about it! She had zero complaints or problems with the game. The game was made with Japanese people in mind, and that's fine. But opinions like OPs come up from that intentional in-country aim during the development process.
    That being said, FF is FF, COD is COD. Those games will be what they are, forever. I have enjoyed the FFs I have played (never got to the infamous XII, though) and plan on playing XIII, despite the "its linear, therefore sucks" reviews.

    Props to Bladia for Sig!

  13. #13
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by wick3d_turtle View Post
    I'm also amazed that with all the sequels SE has released, FF VI and FF VII have been completely ignored. I think those two easily rank as the best in the FF series. Where's the love for them?
    FF7 had spinoff games on the PSP, PS2 and Phone also it had a spinoff movie made about it...I don't think it has been ignored. VI on the other hand

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  14. #14
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGentleBeast View Post
    Good point! However, the difference is that Japan is no longer the "center" of gaming as it used to be. Companies, like Squeenix, seem to be noting how difficult it is to stay pertinent in the Western markets and, as Platzreign stated, are polarizing how they make their games. For the most part, they are reverting and directing their games almost exclusively for Eastern/Japanese audiences, while Western developers are looking at a global platform. And when J-devs do this, the opinions get polarized as well.
    Here is a real life example. My brother played FFXIII. He enjoyed the characters and the story, but hated the gameplay and linear aspect of it. My friend Mao, a Japanese girl, played FXIII and loved EVERYTHING about it! She had zero complaints or problems with the game. The game was made with Japanese people in mind, and that's fine. But opinions like OPs come up from that intentional in-country aim during the development process.
    That being said, FF is FF, COD is COD. Those games will be what they are, forever. I have enjoyed the FFs I have played (never got to the infamous XII, though) and plan on playing XIII, despite the "its linear, therefore sucks" reviews.
    I agree that Japan is not the centre that it used to but but I don't believe its because Japan lost its shine. I believe its because western game companies are picking up their game and putting out titles of quality that gamers want to play, unlike in the NES/SNES days. This doesn't mean Japan is losing the qualities war, it just means western developers are actually putting up a noticeable fight for once.

    In my opinion Japan needs to stay Japanese and shouldn't try to pander to the western audience. The gamers who love the more "Japanized' games are going to love them no matter what, and trying to do a half-japan/half-western hybrid is just going to be a disaster in the long term. The hardcore Japanized gamer will not like the western aspect in their game, and the western gamer is just going to complain that the game is not fully western.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  15. #15
    PRO Member
    mattveego's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Your kitchen cupboard
    Posts
    1,379
    Reputation
    73

    Thank you for someone finlly posting this. I could rant for hours about this subject. Clearly the Japanese gaming market is dying fast, because Western RPG's seem to be the big thing now. I honestly think that Square hates money. If they came out with a Final Fantasy 7 remake, that would make them MILLIONS!!!!!! I am glad that you brought up Kingdom Hearts. This is another franchise they have that have sold multi-millions. And why-oh-why would they make a sequel for FFXlll. I do not care how great it sold. Go back to your bread and butter Square. A great story with a fantastic world to explore. Make me cry at the end of your game, not make me wondering when it will finally be over.

    It is not just Square though. Polyphony took FOREVER!!! to release GT5, and by the way Team Ico is looking, The Last Guardian is in some serious trouble. It is a realt shameseeing the Japanese market starting to fall apart. Do not get me wrong there are some developers that are still making money, like Nintendo and Capcom. I just have a bad feeling like something is missing from the Japanese side of the game industry and it is a real shame.

    Sig by Bladia


  16. #16
    Lvl 1 - Bronze
    rnrism1111's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    25
    Reputation
    0

    i just with they would release a KH hd collection w/ trophies. i mean, why not? its gauranteed to really bring in the dough...

  17. #17
    Puns always intended.
    Larrydavidsavatar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    One dimension short of being in a 3D game.
    Posts
    2,432
    Reputation
    161

    They are never going to bottle Lightning (pun semi-intended) over and over again with regards to Final Fantasy, they may release the main entries a few years apart but wash out the flavour with endless spinoffs and tat.

    If they put more effort into just making the main entries great again then maybe they can improve.

    Kingdom Hearts is suffering from the same problem and there are only two actual titles in it!

  18. #18
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hamilton ON
    Posts
    179
    Reputation
    4

    Well I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person thinking this. By the way what ever happened to Chrono Break? As mentioned above the FF7 sequals were ok and again square enix haven't even released Chrisis Core hasen't been released on the PSN so i can't even download it onto my PSP go or my PS Vita. But with all the games they made sequals for it makes me wonder why they made them for those games. X was a good game but X-2 was...different to say the least and XIII was decent but I am not sure it really warrented a sequal. And it seems that the fall from grace was the huge long wait time between X and XI and XII where it should have been released sooner but they delayed XI so much that it backed up the entire release dates.

  19. #19
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Thank you for someone finlly posting this. I could rant for hours about this subject. Clearly the Japanese gaming market is dying fast, because Western RPG's seem to be the big thing now. I honestly think that Square hates money. If they came out with a Final Fantasy 7 remake, that would make them MILLIONS!!!!!! I am glad that you brought up Kingdom Hearts. This is another franchise they have that have sold multi-millions. And why-oh-why would they make a sequel for FFXlll. I do not care how great it sold. Go back to your bread and butter Square. A great story with a fantastic world to explore. Make me cry at the end of your game, not make me wondering when it will finally be over.

    It is not just Square though. Polyphony took FOREVER!!! to release GT5, and by the way Team Ico is looking, The Last Guardian is in some serious trouble. It is a realt shameseeing the Japanese market starting to fall apart. Do not get me wrong there are some developers that are still making money, like Nintendo and Capcom. I just have a bad feeling like something is missing from the Japanese side of the game industry and it is a real shame.
    I have to disagree that the Japanese market is dying fast because we don't know the Japanese market. We don't get or even know about all the games Japan gets. They keep a lot of stuff to themselves without localizing them for English speaking countries.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  20. #20
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hamilton ON
    Posts
    179
    Reputation
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by rnrism1111 View Post
    i just with they would release a KH hd collection w/ trophies. i mean, why not? its gauranteed to really bring in the dough...
    Good idea I would plat those

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO