Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

IGN Reporter is retarded? Re: Cut the cutscene

This is a discussion on IGN Reporter is retarded? Re: Cut the cutscene within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; OPINION: Cut the Cutscene! - Games Feature at IGN Cutscenes are bad and take you away from the game? What ...

PRO Member

IGN Reporter is retarded? Re: Cut the cutscene

OPINION: Cut the Cutscene! - Games Feature at IGN

Cutscenes are bad and take you away from the game? What the hell is this guy smoking!

The first half of the article is complete nonsense, admittedly he makes a few valid points later on, but the point remains, the guy is an idiot.

The first few paragraphs relating it to being as though you're in a cinema and they turn the film off and hand you a script, is completely preposterous. How would a game like MGS prevail without structured cutscenes? It wouldn't.

People enjoy concentrating on a cutscene and taking it all in, for some it's a reward/nice change of pace , if you're given a load of stuff to do whilst listening because you're that damned stupid that you can't sit there and take it in, chances are you'll be the same kind of idiot that would spend that time wondering around rather than listening.

Don't get me wrong, cutscenes seem a little lazy feeling these days and they're definitely slacking in a way. I'm all for innovation, so I'd be completely up for a new way of presenting cutscene style sections of story. But even suggesting that by having cutscenes it's like taking the game/playing factor away from a video game is retarded.

/Rant about IGN retardation.

Retired TGT Member

Haha I saw that too. This guy is an idiot. So funny.

Change is mediocre

Back in the day games would hardly ever have any cutscenes. I like cutscenes as they progress the story better than gameplay could, and it really shows the characters off. I do agree that cutscenes these days are either extended and boring or just really not needed.

And you shouldn't think anything else from IGN, I think just about everyone from IGN is retarded (excluding the few that aren't )

Banned

I don't mind cutscenes especially with a good story... but the option to skip needs to be there... I tried to read the article but I couldn't get through it...

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Back in the day games would hardly ever have any cutscenes. I like cutscenes as they progress the story better than gameplay could, and it really shows the characters off. I do agree that cutscenes these days are either extended and boring or just really not needed.

And you shouldn't think anything else from IGN, I think just about everyone from IGN is retarded (excluding the few that aren't )
    I like to visit to get my daily laugh at articles from this

PRO Member

Well I wouldn't go so far as calling him retarded for his opinion, but like you I don't agree with it and I will tell you why,

A movie you spend the entire time only watching no involvement whatsoever yet you get emotionally connected some to the point of tears, in a game when you finally beaten the boss you get a feeling of accomplishment and the cut scene is like a reward, yes there are games that over use it, there are some games that should have possibly tried it.

A cut scene usually is a plot update or something that has to be done in order to continue on with the story, introduction of new characters etc, the cut scene can usually be a spectacle to behold, using top quality cgi 1080p can make some art look amazing and a game is art,

I think the cut scene can be overdone a bit and I like to always have the option of skipping in once I have seen it, however I think its an integral part of a game if you ask me

Lvl 9 - Gold

"Half-Life 2: our number one modern PC game for a reason."

I stopped thinking that the writer was a idiot there, no, the writer is complete ******.

"His entitled to his opinion" - yeah, he can share that with his friends, not post it online and traumatize people.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Kiwi Defender

Seems someone has been playing too many Bioware and Bethesda games.

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    "Half-Life 2: our number one modern PC game for a reason."

I stopped thinking that the writer was a idiot there, no, the writer is complete ******.

"His entitled to his opinion" - yeah, he can share that with his friends, not post it online and traumatize people.
    Pfft, if you disagree with that choice I can't even fathom what goes through your mind.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

The One and Only

Most of the games I played had short cutscenes, so it wasn't until recently that they started to bug me (unless I haven't seen it yet).

And lol @ the first few paragraphs. I really didn't think it was very relaistic.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Get bent...

Personally, I fast-forward or skip through the cutscenes.

If the game doesn't let me fast-forward or skip them, then I put the controller down and go get a snack or something.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Cutscenes are probably the most effective way of bringing a story forward, this is totally visible in games like Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted.

However, games like Portal and Half Life still manage to bring fascinating stories to their players without these kinds of cutscenes, so it's a touchy subject to try and debate on. Bioshock's whole tale was told through audio journals and a microphone, so I'm not going to say this guy is completely out of his mind, since he does prove a point.

I love cutscenes, especially when they are done with a good cast through Mo-Cap, but calling this guy out doesn't seem right, since some of the greatest stories to touch consoles have been made without any cutscenes whatsoever.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

Lvl 3 - Bronze

While I personally enjoy cutscenes just fine, this guy is hardly alone. You'd be surprised how many gamers HATE cutscenes and even skip them entirely. Video games are still games and some people just want to get right to the playing.

To call him both an idiot and retarded is childish.

David Jaffe, creator of Twisted Metal and God of War, recently talked about this on an episode of the Weekend Confirmed gaming podcast. He hates cutscenes, but he loves films. He just wishes that games and movies kept themselves separated. There is nothing wrong with that. David Jaffe is not a retarded idiot because he'd rather mess around than "role play" during the talky bits of Half Life 2.

I'm just playing devils advocate, but I feel a lot of you guys are being mighty ignorant here.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Seems someone has been playing too many Bioware and Bethesda games.

Pfft, if you disagree with that choice I can't even fathom what goes through your mind.
    Uncompromisable stuff happens, thatīs why I get bored with the story weak try to show dystopia through first person view. I had fun shooting headcrabs and using the gun, I just didnīt care for the story.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Cutscenes are probably the most effective way of bringing a story forward, this is totally visible in games like Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted.

However, games like Portal and Half Life still manage to bring fascinating stories to their players without these kinds of cutscenes, so it's a touchy subject to try and debate on. Bioshock's whole tale was told through audio journals and a microphone, so I'm not going to say this guy is completely out of his mind, since he does prove a point.

I love cutscenes, especially when they are done with a good cast through Mo-Cap, but calling this guy out doesn't seem right, since some of the greatest stories to touch consoles have been made without any cutscenes whatsoever.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying every game with no cutscenes sucks and cannot get me gripped on the story. You said it yourself, Bioshock , Portal , Half Life etc. All manage to do it arguably better than games with cutscenes

However it's the way that this guy portrays his opinion that irritates me, especially with the first half of the article. Again, the second half does include valid points but in my mind the guy comes across as a complete idiot who simply doesn't have the brainpower to sit through a cutscene.

I also like how they advertise the article with loads of MGS images as it's the game people relate to most with lengthy cutscenes, yet they didn't once mention the game in the entire article.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnKoala View Post
    While I personally enjoy cutscenes just fine, this guy is hardly alone. You'd be surprised how many gamers HATE cutscenes and even skip them entirely. Video games are still games and some people just want to get right to the playing.

To call him both an idiot and retarded is childish.

David Jaffe, creator of Twisted Metal and God of War, recently talked about this on an episode of the Weekend Confirmed gaming podcast. He hates cutscenes, but he loves films. He just wishes that games and movies kept themselves separated. There is nothing wrong with that. David Jaffe is not a retarded idiot because he'd rather mess around than "role play" during the talky bits of Half Life 2.

I'm just playing devils advocate, but I feel a lot of you guys are being mighty ignorant here.
    Not once did I say that everybody who shares this opinion is retarded or an idiot, the writer of the IGN article clearly is.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion don't get me wrong but how this guy is getting paid to write articles like this for a massive company is beyond me.

By keeping video games and movies/cinematics seperated all that's doing is holding back the industry, I'm sure most people would rather play a game with a gripping storyline than something that throws them in a bumper car arena, but thankfully doesn't make them watch cutscenes.

PRO Member

I enjoy watching cutscenes even if there are too many in a game.. Taking them out would be stupid... Like they did with Dragon Ball Raging Blast 2 >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    How is this guy not in an asylum?
    I think that about you sometimes

Sig by Smashguy

Lvl 1 - Bronze

It's an 'opinion piece'. He's getting paid for his opinion.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    Not once did I say that everybody who shares this opinion is retarded or an idiot, the writer of the IGN article clearly is.

Everybody is entitled to an opinion don't get me wrong but how this guy is getting paid to write articles like this for a massive company is beyond me.

By keeping video games and movies/cinematics seperated all that's doing is holding back the industry, I'm sure most people would rather play a game with a gripping storyline than something that throws them in a bumper car arena, but thankfully doesn't make them watch cutscenes.
    Sorry if I misread. It's just I think these kinds of articles that IGN does (including this one) are fine. They're like the editorial section in a newspaper and are meant to seem exaggerated or extreme. You probably don't agree with the content very often, but it brings a different perspective and makes you question, even if for a moment, current gaming trends.

On the actual subject, I'm with you. A lot of games are getting lazy now with cutscenes, but when melded properly, with or without player control, in games they can deliver experiences that no other medium can.

Hey, feel free to add me (Coconutz) on PSN!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by YumeOMiru View Post
    Uncompromisable stuff happens, thatīs why I get bored with the story weak try to show dystopia through first person view. I had fun shooting headcrabs and using the gun, I just didnīt care for the story.
    It's very easy to understand, actually. I think it has more to do with you not being able to pay attention nor understand it lol.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    It's very easy to understand, actually. I think it has more to do with you not being able to pay attention nor understand it lol.
    No, I mean in my head, dude. From you post earlier. Let me finish the sentance then, so much happens in my head that this seems like cannon fodder. There ? The story is so unoriginal and without twist that I slept with my controller past the train section.
    Hand-bra Jeans

Medaka Box

Lvl 6 - Silver

Lol reason why I only listen to the Playstation Team on IGN. Most of the other people do not know what the flying hell they are talking about.But I do agree, its getting annoying where its just a AI controlled cutscene. I want to have cutscenes with button tapping or at least something to make it feel like you are more INTO the story which I think is the most important thing developers/producers should work on the most these days.
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast