info and concept art suddenly appears for valve's top secret "SOB" game

This is a discussion on info and concept art suddenly appears for valve's top secret "SOB" game within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; More Info And Concept Art Surfaces On Valve’s Secret New Game “SOB”*|*LambdaGeneration Early last year, we got to take a ...

INTJ

info and concept art suddenly appears for valve's top secret "SOB" game

More Info And Concept Art Surfaces On Valve’s Secret New Game “SOB”*|*LambdaGeneration

Early last year, we got to take a look at some… well, some really fancy-looking concept art laid out on the walls inside Valve’s headquarters. There was one thing we all immediately noticed, apart from just how fancy-looking it was – it looked nothing like any existing Valve intellectual property: it had weird spaceships, weird space aliens, and good stuff like that. No one knew what it was all about, and supposedly, Valve didn’t take kindly to this concept art finding its way online at that time. Then a couple of months later, Portal 2 came out, and we were too busy playing that to death to care about whatever Valve’s got cooking in that secret bunker they open by turning the big valve.

Then Dota 2′s beta client got leaked. And among the client’s coding, and among the interesting mentions to “ep3″ and ”cstrike2″ were a number of references to something called “SOB”, including code references for ”nebula”; “npc_ship”; “ship_guns”; “client_ship”; “flightplan”; “server_ship”, and quite a bit more, which you can find on this mirror of the code references, provided by Cyborgmatt. Naturally, most of us assumed that this SOB game might just be what that concept art is for.

Now, we have a solid connection between the SOB code and the concept art, and there’s more. Read on!

Meet Peter König, one of Valve’s best 2D and 3D artists (credited in 30 films and numerous games, with a 25-year career), who’s done work on L4D2, Dota 2, and Portal 2. He’s got a really fancy site, showing off most of his work, including his L4D2 stuff. Wait… you know what else was fancy? That concept art we saw last year! And, surprise, surprise, quite a few of those unidentified space concepts from last year are on König’s site! But the really interesting one? Check this out:

A starfighter of some sort, which heavily resembles Peter’s other work on the strange space game… and has “SOB” written right on it. And it turns out that right around the same time those images at Valve HQ were first uncovered in early 2011, Peter had this earlier and slightly different version of the very same concept art on his site.

Ding ding, we have a winner, people. SOB is real, it’s got aliens, it’s got spaceships – I’m actually pretty excited. Because at this point, I’m a bit skeptical about HL3. Who knows if it’ll live up to the expectations we’ve set for it? What if all that multiplayer development has made Valve lose their touch for big singleplayer experiences? But SOB seems like something fresh, something new, and it sounds like one hell of a blast. With no expectations or hype behind it, I think it might turn out to be a very pleasant surprise for all of us.

Smash, volunteer moderator on the Steam Forums, and writer for HL2.net, actually e-mailed Peter and asked him if the art is for a new Valve title, or simply his own creations, and he replied:
    Some of it is mine, not all. Can’t comment on it either way…. Some of it is on my site now, so it can’t be toooo sensitive, now can it?
    It’s good to see Valve devs are still just as cryptic as they’ve always been. Let’s hope we find out more about SOB. I’m hoping it’s a monolithic singleplayer space opera adventure type deal… but a Valve space MMO also sounds very tantalizing. And I can tell you right now that if it is, you’ll be hearing a lot about me, because I am going to be space pirate number 1.

Still, who knows, at this point? Maybe we’ll even see a reveal at E3. At this point, would that really be so surprising? Meanwhile, I’d be looking on Peter’s site, to see what else SOB-related I can find.

PRO Member

Awesome...

Now can we finish HL3?

I mean I'm not stupid enough to think Valve is only going to work on one game at a time. They are capable and I am sure they can juggle multiple projects with ease. Problem is, as much as this sounds cool, I don't want to hear about it right now.

HL2 left off on a cliffhanger and I want to close out this story. Please... Valve... HL3. Don't tell me about cool new projects when HL3 is in the state of uncertainty it is.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Awesome...

Now can we finish HL3?

I mean I'm not stupid enough to think Valve is only going to work on one game at a time. They are capable and I am sure they can juggle multiple projects with ease. Problem is, as much as this sounds cool, I don't want to hear about it right now.

HL2 left off on a cliffhanger and I want to close out this story. Please... Valve... HL3. Don't tell me about cool new projects when HL3 is in the state of uncertainty it is.

E3 2012

Nintendo confrence

Miyamoto and Itawa are showing off the wii u in all it's glory

suddenly the lights dim

Gabe newell walks on stage

3 3's appear on the big screen behind them

"I hope you guys are ready for our next titles in our biggest series ever in our upcoming black box collection"

all 3 fade in, Portal 3, left 4 dead 3, and dota 3 announced

exclusive to wii u and pc.

fanbase happiness turns to massive rage and starts combining into each other

the second impact happens and Gabe's body absorbs all damage from the blast

the resulting energy absorbed turns gabe newell into a god.

or they can be smart and at least give us a teaser of episode 3.

(also read more stuff like the terrible crap i just wrote above at: http://chanarchive.org/4chan/v/9739/gaben )
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.

The only sane person here

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    E3 2012

the second impact happens and Gabe's body absorbs all damage from the blast

That's a fat joke way to go.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightSparkle View Post
    That's a fat joke way to go.
    i can wait, i have patience and dota 2.

дурак

i can wait, i have patience and dota 2.
    It's been about 8 years since Half Life 2 came out. Until Half Life 3 is released, I couldn't give a shit less as to what else they are developing.

Why are they keeping such a closed lid on Half Life 3. Is it to build hype? Well hey, that worked out great for Duke Nukem: Forev-- Oh wait... (And yes, I know the circumstances are different and the reason Duke Nukem was delayed was because they kept trying to catch up with todays technology.)

They can say nothing and make the fan base impatient and when it's finally reached the boiling point, they'll release it and everyone will go "OH MAI GAWD, I'VE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS GAME AND IT'S FINALLY HERE. THANK YOU, VALVE". Sure they can do that, but it only works if you release the damn game before people stop caring. Which I assure you people are starting to get that way.
    Last edited by Vulgar; 02-03-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Kiwi Defender

Interesting, but the writer of the article is wrong about there being no hype for the game, for it is a Valve game, and just for that, it'll be hyped.

Now finish HL3 and then start making new IPs.

Toggle Spoiler

The second impact joke had to be my favorite.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar View Post
    It's been about 8 years since Half Life 2 came out. Until Half Life 3 is released, I couldn't give a shit less as to what else they are developing.

Why are they keeping such a closed lid on Half Life 3. Is it to build hype? Well hey, that worked out great for Duke Nukem: Forev-- Oh wait... (And yes, I know the circumstances are different and the reason Duke Nukem was delayed was because they kept trying to catch up with todays technology.)

They can say nothing and make the fan base impatient and when it's finally reached the boiling point, they'll release it and everyone will go "OH MAI GAWD, I'VE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS GAME AND IT'S FINALLY HERE. THANK YOU, VALVE". Sure they can do that, but it only works if you release the damn game before people stop caring. Which I assure you people are starting to get that way.

More games that arn't half life get released on the source engine from valve the more polished the source engine will become

Half life 3 will have lots of awesome tech

дурак

More games that arn't half life get released on the source engine from valve the more polished the source engine will become

Half life 3 will have lots of awesome tech
    Ok so Duke Nukem was a horrible example. So just forget I mentioned that.

But my other point still stands, if it isn't released soon, more and more people will lose interest.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Kiwi Defender

But my other point still stands, if it isn't released soon, more and more people will lose interest.
    Don't kid yourself. There are more and more Valve fanboys every year and the day HL3/EP3 gets released will be the day the few who lost intereset will get said interest back. Just look at SSBB (which got delayed over and over again) and even Duke Nukem Forever, which sold more than it should have all thanks to how embedded it was to Popular Culture.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

you don't realize how rabid valve fans are

they will always like valve, no matter what.

for anything. Hell valve can shit on a plate right now and everyone will eat it up but valve won't because they care about quality.

It's why most of their games go through delay hell, Fucking QA Testing out the ass.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Team Fortress 3

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by HugeGremlins View Post
    Team Fortress 3
    that would kill valve if they actually did that right now

Team fortress 2 and Steam are their big ass money makers