Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony Patents the Wii U

This is a discussion on Sony Patents the Wii U within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony patented Wii U-esque controller, has pics to prove it | Joystiq Sony may have been caught in the same ...

INTJ

Sony Patents the Wii U

Sony patented Wii U-esque controller, has pics to prove it | Joystiq

Sony may have been caught in the same handheld wavelengths as Nintendo in 2010. A patent uncovered by Games Beat shows Sony considering a handheld, touchscreen device that would function similarly to Nintendo's Wii U. Titled the "Position-dependent gaming, 3-D controller, and handheld as a remote," the device would track its own location as "input to a video game" and render "an avatar on a mobile device such that it appears to overlay a competing user in the real world."

Sony's Vita can share saves and transfer data with the PS3, and even has the capability to be used as a controller for compatible PS3 games, meaning this patent could simply be a tale of what might have been. Inspect some more images of Sony's device below.

original idea do not steal

Kid, not loser

Well with the vita its almost as if sony could do everything the wii U can with the ps3.Almost everything, that is. Also it could be more of a connectivity between the sony tablets and the ps3. We will wait and see.

PRO Ninja

SONY is the shiz

check my awesome plat list if you dare: CLICK ME!

Lvl 8 - Gold

Pretty sure this patent has more to do with the Vita - PS3 connectivity then it does Sony wanting to make a new controller.

Retired TGT Member

Wow, this is utterly meaningless.

You know what else has been patented? Buying things with a credit card online. So if you go to any site, find a product you want, and use a credit card to buy it, you just went through a "technology process" that has been patented. Do you imagine people like Amazon are paying royalties to the douchebag who has that patent? Um...no.

That guy lives in New Jersey

Player Hater

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post

You know what else has been patented? Buying things with a credit card online. So if you go to any site, find a product you want, and use a credit card to buy it, you just went through a "technology process" that has been patented. Do you imagine people like Amazon are paying royalties to the douchebag who has that patent? Um...no.

What about the dude that patented a stick?

Retired TGT Member

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    What about the dude that patented a stick?
    That was ME. Now give me my money

Resident PHD

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now try and sing Happy Birthday on TV and see where it gets you

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Retired TGT Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now try and sing Happy Birthday on TV and see where it gets you
    True story. I worked at a restaurant for a while and we had to make up our own Happy Birthday song because we couldn't use the original.

Also, Wii-U and Wii-U-esque are not the same thing. I don't understand how this is newsworthy.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

not surprised youd patent a stick . lol

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

PRO Member

NSFW

I patented wearing a hoodie and T-shirts at the same time. I'm really rich.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

The One and Only

So what is this supposed to prove? That Sony came up with the idea first? I don't see this to be a significant factor for the future sales of either systems.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 9 - Gold

yeah, 500$ riot shield, I would get one...........................................
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

O_o

I cannot wait to be a terminator. o:

Lvl 9 - Gold

Amazon is paying royalties to the credit card companies for the use of that card. As far as it being patented... I'm not so sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    So what is this supposed to prove? That Sony came up with the idea first? I don't see this to be a significant factor for the future sales of either systems.
    Just depends on if Sony takes it to court or not. As Oxy has said already. It could be strictly about the connectivity and sharing with the Ps3 through the use of the Vita. But reading the first paragraph, it seems the WiiU's controller is build around Sony's patent... Meaning the Wii-U's controller can be scraped and illegal to use or sale without new modifications done to it to make it more unique and not similar to Sony's creation. I wonder who missed this in the creation of the WiiU's controllers. But ultimately.. It is the Courts decision. I'm a firm believer in giving the person that produces the idea first, the crown for anything and everything.. But with courts... Doesn't matter if you created the idea first, or produced the item first. You can get everything ripped away from you because some judge feels you don't deserve it.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Just depends on if Sony takes it to court or not. As Oxy has said already. It could be strictly about the connectivity and sharing with the Ps3 through the use of the Vita. But reading the first paragraph, it seems the WiiU's controller is build around Sony's patent... Meaning the Wii-U's controller can be scraped and illegal to use or sale without new modifications done to it to make it more unique and not similar to Sony's creation. I wonder who missed this in the creation of the WiiU's controllers. But ultimately.. It is the Courts decision. I'm a firm believer in giving the person that produces the idea first, the crown for anything and everything.. But with courts... Doesn't matter if you created the idea first, or produced the item first. You can get everything ripped away from you because some judge feels you don't deserve it.
    It would be one hell of an interesting lawsuit if Sony decides to take it to court. Honestly I don't think they need to.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

MMA Fan Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    Exactly! People love Nintendo and will buy the system regardless of the fact that someone had the idea first. The only way this will change is if Sony files and wins a lawsuit against Nintendo. I doubt this will be the case because this issue would have been raised a lot sooner.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God." John 1:1

Current playing: WWE '13 and Borderlands (yes still playing the first one)
    Up Next: Who the heck knows? I'm busy!

illegal in 9 countries

This has more to do with augmented reality (which Sony has a history of dating back to the original PSEye) and tracking the gamer's location in relation to a receiver than a handheld Wii U-esque tablet controller.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Don't be surprised if and when you hear about Sony's revolutionary new control device.
    Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.
    playstation 3 controller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast