Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trophy Patches for Older Games

This is a discussion on Trophy Patches for Older Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; As you may have heard, Sony has lost nearly $3.50 million dollars. If they were to patch *ALL* older games ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Trophy Patches for Older Games

As you may have heard, Sony has lost nearly $3.50 million dollars. If they were to patch *ALL* older games without trophies (EX. MGS4, COD4) they would make so much money as people who previously traded in classics like COD4 or MGS4 would buy them immediately and earn the trophies. So, why have they not? Because its a fact of them being lazy. If they want to make this a full concept that most of Playstation 3 users could enjoy earning, they should stop half-assing it and fully support the concept 110%. Do you know how many hardcore trophy hunters (most on this site ) would buy these games again to earn the trophies? So, they could fully support it or let it blow away in the wind. Especially since their "rival" Microsoft has achievements on ALL their games, showing they support it. So Sony, would you take up to 5% of your time to release trophy patches on all Playstation 3 and Playstation Network (In 2 days Sony Entertainment Network) games and make a decent profit or continue to lose money. Your choice.
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Depends more on the developers actually.

Best example: Virtua Fighter 5.
    Look, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have Virtua Fighter 5. VF5 on the PS3 had no trophies. It was released on the PS3 before the 360. The developers decided they should port the new updated version of VF5 to the 360. So they added achievements and everything is updated.

The developers of VF5 just completely dropped the PS3 version without giving it any updates or trophies.

So all in all it ain't really up to Sony, it really depends on the developers.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Nice idea and all but it's fair to say you wont see trophies for those games till they get spit on and shined up for Mega HD release on PS4, though i could see rereleasing them on Vita as an option.

I understand your frustration as MGS 4 is a game i beat to holy hell and i'm a bit gutted trophies never arrived for it, twice as gutted though when having blitzed Peace Walker on PSP i see it get announced on PS3 with trophies.

Another idea, though slightly rage baiting, is to sell DLC trophy packs for old games selectively, get fans to help decide what sort of trophies go into the pack too, sell them for a couple of quid each and it's a friendly, optional way to generate sales and community spirit. Not going to recoup huge amounts of cash back but hey it would be a start.

The One and Only

Sony themselves don't do the patches for trophies without the developers of the individual games creating the trophies. If the developers don't make the trophies, there's nothing Sony can do. So laziness on Sony's end isn't it, like what Sync said.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 6 - Silver

I know the developers choose and make the trophies, but Sony does not try to pursue them to make the patches.
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy_Destroyer View Post
    I know the developers choose and make the trophies, but Sony does not try to pursue them to make the patches.
    I am pretty sure Sony has better things to do than chase down developers and harp them into making trophy patches.

PRO Member

Just like a few others have said, it is up to the developers. I have heard and read stuff about this topic and apparently it is harder than it looks to put triggers in a game to pop up a trophy. The reason Uncharted could d it without hesitation was because of the medals. They just tied all the trophies to the medals. It would be pretty awesome if developers like Kojima, Infinity Ward, and Insomniac went and patched the games with trophies, but in reality they have way more important things on their minds. Like there new ames that will 100% have trophies.

Sig by Bladia

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I am pretty sure Sony has better things to do than chase down developers and harp them into making trophy patches.
    that's exactly what i was thinking. sony has a lot on their plates and hunting down developers to trophy patch older games is not high on the list. not to mention it's not free. i don't know why people think they can just patch a game like that and it not cost anything. some people need to really grow up

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Retired TGT Member

This is one of those threads that somebody new posts about every 6 weeks, but I honestly don't mind that in this instance, BECAUSE THIS IS SOMETHING I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT. SEE I'M WRITING IN ALL CAPS.

Go put trophies in NFS: Carbon. NOW.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by antoniosbandana View Post
    This is one of those threads that somebody new posts about every 6 weeks, but I honestly don't mind that in this instance, BECAUSE THIS IS SOMETHING I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT. SEE I'M WRITING IN ALL CAPS.

Go put trophies in NFS: Carbon. NOW.
    You spammer

Even Need for Speed has more important things to worry about than trophies for their older games, like trying to put out a good Need for Speed game that can compare to Undergounds 1 and 2 and/or Most Wanted, something they have failed to do in years.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

No Matter What

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    You spammer

Even Need for Speed has more important things to worry about than trophies for their older games, like trying to put out a good Need for Speed game that can compare to Undergounds 1 and 2 and/or Most Wanted, something they have failed to do in years.
    Says the guy who buys practically every NFS game that comes out, and claims it to be a pretty good game.

"But now in the end I understand that it made be stronger."

Happy Tree Friends
    Come here for some bloody fun

Classic Rap Fans
    The hangout for fans of the Golden Era.

ExDesigns
    A prime spot for quality GFX

|Sig by Dare|

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    Says the guy who buys practically every NFS game that comes out, and claims it to be a pretty good game.
    They may be good games, but they can't live up to the greatness that is Undergrounds 1 and 2 and Most Wanted.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Death View Post
    I have not bought Carbon nor either Shifts btw

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    They may be good games, but they can't live up to the greatness that is Undergrounds 1 and 2 and Most Wanted.
    ^^ Beat me to it.

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

PRO Member

I have not bought Carbon nor either Shifts btw

^^ Beat me to it.

And I have never played a NFS

Sig by Bladia

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    And I have never played a NFS
    Unless you have a PS2 and can find Need for Speed Undergrounds 1 and 2 or Most Wanted, you're kinda too late to get a NFS game that I can guarantee you is good. :/

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The reason being is cost. It's going to cost man hours for those companies to put in trophies for older games like MGS 4 and AC 1. The reason why MGS 4 has none because of this and to be honest I don't blame em at all. Sony isn't pushing it so the companies isn't going to put in any trophies instead they are focusing on other projects. I myself personally wants MGS 4 and AC 1 trophies yet if they don't than that's cool to me they are working on something else more grand.
    Lord Fenton
    Gaming since the days of Kings Quest 3

Working On: Dungeon Defenders and Batman:AC(PS3) and Borderlands (PC Steam) til I start round 2 of my BG:EE good guy this time.
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrimFenton

PRO Member

Unless you have a PS2 and can find Need for Speed Undergrounds 1 and 2 or Most Wanted, you're kinda too late to get a NFS game that I can guarantee you is good. :/
    My PS3 is backwards compatible. So maybe I will try oone one day. Isn't the Hot Pursuit on PS3 any good?

Sig by Bladia

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    My PS3 is backwards compatible. So maybe I will try oone one day. Isn't the Hot Pursuit on PS3 any good?
    It's pretty good, but it's not all that great. It's worth buying if you like racing games, but mind you there's no Split-screen multiplayer like imo all racing games should have like the previous generations of games I played.

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Lvl 4 - Silver

I think it's also more an issue of money than laziness. Patching each and every single game is not easy, and it takes time. I think they'd end up spending more money on it than they'd make from it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Trophy patches for older games isn't a bad idea, but who will buy any of those old games now? It would be nice to get some trophies for Spiderman Web of Shadows since that was a good game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast