Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Banning used games on the MS 720 will be the best thing for Sony...

This is a discussion on Banning used games on the MS 720 will be the best thing for Sony... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I, for one, applaud Microsoft for having the balls to do something like this. Also, for those who are saying ...

Get bent...

I, for one, applaud Microsoft for having the balls to do something like this.

Also, for those who are saying that Sony would never do something like this....I believe they're already doing something similar with the PS Vita.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    I, for one, applaud Microsoft for having the balls to do something like this.

Also, for those who are saying that Sony would never do something like this....I believe they're already doing something similar with the PS Vita.
    No with the Vita there was speculation of not being able to earn trophies on used games but that was debunked.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 7 - Gold

hope that sony wont come up with this idea. i think they will loose alot of customers

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I definately hope Sony dont do this.Most of my games are bought 2nd hand off of ebay,with the odd exception of games that i buy from new (depending and if this was to happen on playstation,there would be a severe drought for games in my house.But from microsofts point of view,like the OP says,this is one great big moneyscam,if it comes to pass.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Chuck Norris Approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
    If this happens, I expect new game prices to drop at least $20. Because they don't have to make up for the loss in sales. Like how grocery stores upmark their products to cover stolen goods. Do you think this will happen? Absolutely not, because it's the entertainment industry and they'll make a grimy dollar any way they can. we as consumers have to step up and revolt against this b$.
    I agree, and the same can be said about file sharing and what not. You pay more in the long run when people STEAL products. It does not matter if it's clothes, milk, bread or online content.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    But houses, cars, clothes etc are different than games. I cannot go and buy a new 2002 Ford anymore, nor does driving a car cost Ford any money. With games though if you buy something used and then go use Activision's servers you are now costing Activision money without paying them anything. Now that is my argument for online passes, see above for my argument on why there should be used games.
    i doubt it costs too much to keep those servers up,they dont do shit but keep your stats and matchmaking.if it cost as much as you think it does i doubt every shit game that comes out would have a multiplayer.i think alot of these games are throwing multiplayer in just so they can have an online pass.

Lvl 9 - Gold

If 720s/whatever it will be called have another RROD problem wont this mean youd also have to buy entire new copies of the game to be able to play it on the new console? not that most people would actually buy another if that was the case.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I can count on one hand the amount of games I have bought brand new, I pretty much rely on the used market in order for me to get games. I simply cannot afford to spend 40+ on a new game, when I could easily be buying 3,4 or 5 games that are slightly older for that price.

If games were priced at 20 or less for a new game, it wouldn't be a problem. These companies are doing this to themselves by charging so much for a game. I understand that a lot of work will have gone into the game, but offering it at cheaper prices will mean more sales anyway.

DVD's for example, a lot of work will have gone into that film and the post production and the dvd features etc, yet they can sell for as little as 3 new. Blu Rays are the same, and can be as cheap as 10 new.

Fuck these money grubbing companies, price your shit reasonably and this wouldn't even be an issue.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

PRO Member

Actually the tablet did not sell great outside the Wii, thats where a good portion of there troubles stem from THQ that is.

Yes this idea won't fly imagine Jimmy's Mom at christmas time when its time to decide what to buy a console, how many will pick the one that does not play used games hmmmm.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

banning used games wow thats shocking! only problem with that is some devs might side with MS like THQ who already support the idea and the next MS console could see a hugh rise in exclusive's but MS should only be thinking about how many units of there next console they can sell and i dont think it would do as well as the 360 if they go down that road no matter how many exclusive's there console has.
    there is some truth in what njdevil is saying but i dont believe the wholesale price of video games would drop if the used market went away if any thing that keeps the price down. you would be giving more power to company's to charge wot they wanted they could even cut out the shops were you buy games from and limit you to download only from there store after all i thought thats what MS wanted a console without a disk-tray! games without MP like l.a.noire or heavy rain is just like any other company selling a music cd, dvd, car, book or whatever once there product has sold they dont make money of the used market and its been going on for years long before your 1st video game console. games with MP yes companys do have to pay out money to keep servers running and whatever else but isn't this new online-pass good enough!

overall if i buy somethink i should be able to do what the hell i want with it seems like the devs wouldn't care less if i jumped all over there product that they spent lots of time and money making but am not aloud to sell it W.T.F.!

Administrator

If this happens, I hope a new gaming industry arises, to compete against these big-wig corporations who are pushing for this reform. I would gladly support an alternate indie developer who isn't affiliated with large corporations. But it would have to reside on PC I would think, because no way can a new console launch and survive without the corporations pumping games out on it. Only PC community could survive in such circumstance.
    I had a threesome last night, there were a couple of no shows but I still had a good time!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

funny a little while back i made a thread on why online/offline passes sucked and how it was only the beginning of them taking away what we can do with our games, saying that it shud be fought against or it would only get worse. Although there were some who agreed, there were also a bunch who put me down saying "its only $10, just buy your games new, stop bitching about it" along with random personal attacks. Now theres talk that the next console is going to completely get rid of your ability to use used games at all, basically dropping the value of the game to $0 the moment its opened. To all those who were against what i thought then, look at whats happening now, and its very possible that if microsoft goes through with this sony will follow suit (opinion). But ya, hate to say i told you so, but..

Get bent...

Somewhere, the creators of OnLive are sitting back laughing at this.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Korean Girl Group Groupie

This is all pointing to one direction, that works out well for most parties involved. A solution that will equal lower production costs, simpler availability and the complete and absolute obliteration of the middle man all together. All signs are pointing towards to creators of games going completely digital with their sales and eliminating physical copies all together in the not so distant future.

People who complain about not being able to afford new games are a seriously laughable lot. What makes you think you are entitled to get to play games at your own individual whim. If you can't see the damage you're causing to the overall industry by not buying new, and consistently thinking that buying used doesn't harm anybody, you're only kidding yourself. Gaming is a privilege, not a right.

I would expect somewhere within the next 3-5 years for nearly all games (there might be a few hold outs, or collector's edition bundles sprinkled here and there for an even more exuberant price) to be released on the SEN, XBLA, or the Nintendo Network in order to see maximum returns on sales.

So cherish those new book smells, and the joy of unwrapping a new title, because I don't expect it to be around here that much longer with the current direction the tea leaves are prognosticating.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
    If this happens, I expect new game prices to drop at least $20. Because they don't have to make up for the loss in sales. Like how grocery stores upmark their products to cover stolen goods. Do you think this will happen? Absolutely not, because it's the entertainment industry and they'll make a grimy dollar any way they can. we as consumers have to step up and revolt against this b$.
    They might drop a little bit, but $20? Not a chance.

The first question becomes whether or not the price the retailers pay for their product changes. If that comes down, there's a possibility of those savings being passed along to the end consumer. If it doesn't, there isn't a chance of doing so. Personally, I could see a slight drop in the price that the manufacturer/distributor charges a retail outlet with the idea that they could make up the difference in volume. I could also see more companies adopting a model similar to NISAmerica (for example) where they have their own web-store and try to generate more business that way. Even if you give the customer more extras in terms of a pre-order bonus and don't charge them for shipping, the company creating and selling the game makes that money back by not having to let the middleman have a cut (NISA charges the same price for the game that you'd pay in a store). After all, the game you buy for $59.99 at your local retailer isn't costing said retailer that same price.

Then there's the issue of the retailer's finances. If you remove a large chunk of their profits (the used game market), they're liable to look to make it up in other ways.... because that's how businesses of all types work. Think about how your banks and credit card companies are raising fees (and imposing new ones) to make up for limitations and regulations being dumped on them by the Federal Government. At the end of the day, GameStop is responsible to its shareholders and that means maintaining (or increasing) profits. If you stop them from doing it one way, they'll find another way in which to do so.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Go Blue Jackets!!

I feel like developers will start selling "download only games" kinda like steam and sell games cheaper, but make more profit in the long run. And I think thats where mircosoft prob wants to hit in the next generation is just download games not physical copies of games.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Anthnytdwg View Post
    njdevil, the producers do not need protected as much as you think they do. If not for used games, we would have "new" games on all the shelves that were over a year old and still 50-60 bucks. If you wanted a game you would have to wait 3 years until it's actually a reasonable price.
    Not right. Specially when the used game costs as much as the new game. It's how hot the game is that determines what the price will be with the exception of a handful of games(Quake4, Heavenly Sword). 2nd off, you are looking in the wrong places for games(Ebay/Amazon for the real prices).

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    [/spoiler]

While that is true EB Games is responsible for a large part of New Games sales because people come in and trade their old games they are done with towards the purchase of new games. If you eliminate the ability to trade in games consumers will have to be more picky on which games they buy.

Used games are also important because unlike Movies and Books games go out of print very quickly. So if I buy a system late into the cycle I may have missed out on playing some of those early gems simply because the company stopped producing copies of it.
    your right, but on the flip side. Those kids and people that trade in all their old games are getting next to nothing for all of there games. Even when it's a "50%" bonus for trade ins. Out of print games is 1 thing, but trying to buy used on a popular game is another imo. But with the online pass from Sony/EA. I'm all for used game sales to benefit the devs because you can still buy that game used and purchase a online pass for the game if you want it that bad enough. But if the game is out of print anyways, the dev's aren't making the money from the game anyways.

As for the OP. Wasn't this posted else where? Either way it might not be a smart move by MS.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

PRO Member

Exactly, and one thing no one seemed to hit upon is that quite a bit of the new market is being purchased with trade ins, this has become a very popular as it gives the person trading in the maximum value at the store. So what will happen when the game is worth nothing you will see a drastic reduction in new sales to the point I am positive that this recession would look lame in comparison. A game purchased should retain value, I agree about the online pass to use the servers and to pay for dlc.

Its a well known fact that the gaming industry has consistently grown not shrank, when amazon came out people thought the malls would shut there doors why would people want to leave there house when they can be at home and shop, it did not happen.

I see the digital and the physical working side by side, there is plenty of money out there without having to resort to this type of what I call consumer rape. We shall see, the game industry needs to rely on these stores that pump out there products and encourage there growth,

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    This is all pointing to one direction, that works out well for most parties involved. A solution that will equal lower production costs, simpler availability and the complete and absolute obliteration of the middle man all together. All signs are pointing towards to creators of games going completely digital with their sales and eliminating physical copies all together in the not so distant future.

People who complain about not being able to afford new games are a seriously laughable lot. What makes you think you are entitled to get to play games at your own individual whim. If you can't see the damage you're causing to the overall industry by not buying new, and consistently thinking that buying used doesn't harm anybody, you're only kidding yourself. Gaming is a privilege, not a right.

I would expect somewhere within the next 3-5 years for nearly all games (there might be a few hold outs, or collector's edition bundles sprinkled here and there for an even more exuberant price) to be released on the SEN, XBLA, or the Nintendo Network in order to see maximum returns on sales.

So cherish those new book smells, and the joy of unwrapping a new title, because I don't expect it to be around here that much longer with the current direction the tea leaves are prognosticating.
    If its a previlege then dont encircle it with rules and regulations and so-called consumers right !!!!. Thou the concept "right" is relative in this context.

This is a stupid move from MS. IMO it will only stimulate pirating and "illegal" way of markting. You just take the right/freedom from us to buy our games from anyone we want. Who gave you this right ???
    You can complain all day over how wrong this is, and how much damage this will cause you...fine i understand do that I wont complain, but dont be extreme and start banning people (and Iam sure the next step will be calling us pirates because we buy used games !!!).

NO ONE SHOULD DECIDE WHERE I WILL BUY MY GAMES EXCEPT ME ofcourse. Its not like I buy alot of used games, only bought 2-3 games before, but its about principles.
    Quote of the week:
    "For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." - Plato

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsminion View Post
    Its a well known fact that the gaming industry has consistently grown not shrank, when amazon came out people thought the malls would shut there doors why would people want to leave there house when they can be at home and shop, it did not happen.
    Lol, that's because there are still people in the world that don't know what ebay and amazon is or it could have happened. Besides clothing stores to check on sizes once every 6months - 1 year, there is no reason to go out shopping at a mall, or any place really. Not for me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsminion View Post
    Exactly, and one thing no one seemed to hit upon is that quite a bit of the new market is being purchased with trade ins, this has become a very popular as it gives the person trading in the maximum value at the store.
    Dr_Mayus already talked about that o.O... But I replied to it already above your post.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast