Why region lock the online pass...just WHY?!?!?!

This is a discussion on Why region lock the online pass...just WHY?!?!?! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The thread title says it all. Developers want to bitch about used game sales, well after confirming that Kingdoms of ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Why region lock the online pass...just WHY?!?!?!

The thread title says it all. Developers want to bitch about used game sales, well after confirming that Kingdoms of Amalur has an online pass they won't get no sympathy from me. I thought we were done with this region locking crap once the PS3 was announced to be region free many moons ago. Why do devs think it'd be wise to region lock the online codes? Maybe its an overraction but there is just no point in buying some games now.
    Lets check the list:

FIFA 12: No online for me cause of the online pass
    NHL 12: Had to go through the trouble of getting it shipped from home so I could play online
    LA Noire: Oh, hi there DLC that comes with my new game. Whats that? I can't play you cause your region locked?
    Front Mssion: Eevolved: Oh, hi there DLC again...wait, crap, why am I talking to you. I can't even download you.
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Your not even getting a look. Not going to deal with that crap
    UFC Undisputed 2011: Your so lucky I have a die hard friend who is breaking down and ordering it from the States.

So to whoever it is that made Kingdoms of Amalur you just lost a NEW sale today.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

You weak azz niggs

DLC is region locked dude. It sucks, but it's been that way.....

Regional Manager of War

Quote Originally Posted by grimydawg View Post
    DLC is region locked dude. It sucks, but it's been that way.....

DLC is region locked , I haven't noticed

You weak azz niggs

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Awesome91 View Post
    DLC is region locked , I haven't noticed
    Apparently, a lot of people don't know this There's been similar threads about this. Well, anything in which you have to input a code in (DLC, online passes, etc.) has to be the same region as your game.
    Last edited by grimydawg; 02-08-2012 at 01:51 AM.

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

Here is a step by step breakdown for online pass usage for different regions (However there are exceptions, see red text below):

1) Make a new user, for the region the game is made for (ex: region 1 game, make a US account). If you already have an account for the region you need, you can use that one.

2) Redeem code through playstation store or under 'account management > redeem codes' using the account in step 1. Do NOT start up the game until step 3

3) Switch user to your regular account, with all you friends and trophies, etc and start up the game. The online pass will be activated for use with this account only

Extra notes:
    - Most DLC/redeem codes/online passes are region specific to the region of the game, not account but in a few cases they are locked to account.

- You can use ANY region game and any additional DLC and/or online pass with ANY region account. According Minarum & Artemis this is not the case. There are exceptions to the rule, so it's in your best interest to do a little background research if the game has account locked passes/DLC. However, for the majority of games the above method works.
    Known exceptions include DC Universe Online, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Gran Turismo 5, White Knight Chronicles 2, Elemental Monster

- If you buy a region 1 game, you must use region 1 DLC, regardless of your regular account region. Having a different region account does not lock DLC from a different region game.

I have a Thailand account (region 3) and always use region 1 (US) games and DLC. Any codes that come with the region 1 games must be redeemed in the US PSN. To do this I have a secondary US account specifically for using codes and getting DLC on the US PSN. I can download anything in the US PSN account and it will work on my Thailand account. However, it's worth noting that in order to retain access to things like PSN games downloaded with my US account, the US account must remain on the system. Meaning I cannot play those games if I delete the US account from my system, since that account "owns" that content.
    Last edited by Aipher; 02-08-2012 at 11:46 PM.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aipher View Post
    Here is a step by step breakdown for online pass usage for different regions:

1) Make a new user, for the region the game is made for (ex: region 1 game, make a US account). If you already have an account for the region you need, you can use that one.

2) Redeem code through playstation store or under 'account management > redeem codes' using the account in step 1. Do NOT start up the game until step 3

3) Switch user to your regular account, with all you friends and trophies, etc and start up the game. The online pass will be activated for use with this account only

Extra notes:
    - DLC/redeem codes/online passes are region specific to the region of the game, not account.
    - You can use ANY region game and any additional DLC and/or online pass with ANY region account.
    - If you buy a region 1 game, you must use region 1 DLC, regardless of your regular account region. Having a different region account does not lock DLC from a different region game.

I have a Thailand account (region 3) and always use region 1 (US) games and DLC. Any codes that come with the region 1 games must be redeemed in the US PSN. To do this I have a secondary US account specifically for using codes and getting DLC on the US PSN. I can download anything in the US PSN account and it will work on my Thailand account. However, it's worth noting that in order to retain access to things like PSN games downloaded with my US account, the US account must remain on the system. Meaning I cannot play those games if I delete the US account from my system, since that account "owns" that content.
    There is games like Gran Turismo 5 and Assassin's Creed: Revelations, where the DLC are bound to the account.

L.A. Noire is np. (Have Complete Edition from US PSN and run fine with all DLC on my EU account)

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisthemp View Post
    There is games like Gran Turismo 5 and Assassin's Creed: Revelations, where the DLC are bound to the account.

L.A. Noire is np. (Have Complete Edition from US PSN and run fine with all DLC on my EU account)
    Confirmed. However LA Noire DLC is not region specific between region 3 and 1. Meaning that region 3 DLC works with region 1 disc and vice versa. Not sure about other region (such as EU) compatibility though.

I've never heard of this, but then I've not tried either of those games. But AFAIK any code used for redeeming through PSN has never been locked onto an account until one of the accounts accesses it first.

The only way I can see some sort of account locking is if there is an in-game or proprietary system of redeeming codes such as The Saboteur's midnight show 16 character code (PSN specific codes are only 12 characters long), or UPlay for Ubisoft. However, in Uplay's case, the content is equally available across all regions, and has nothing to do with using a PSN ID region being different to the game's native region. Ex. I could get Uplay content on my Thai PSN ID, even though I had a region 1 version of ACB.

Last edited by Aipher; 02-09-2012 at 12:04 AM.

PRO Member

Everything downloaded from a store has to be region locked because Sony chooses to use real currency, ergo it has to setup a system whereby different stores can sell the same items under the different currencies/regions and their different laws and regulations on taxes.

I think you are confusing region locked with user locked though, you can buy a new copy of KoA, download the online pass in whatever region the code is for on a dummy account, then switch to your account and still have access to everything.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 7 - Gold

never had any problems as i do like they said. download it on a different account and play on my normal account

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Everything downloaded from a store has to be region locked because Sony chooses to use real currency, ergo it has to setup a system whereby different stores can sell the same items under the different currencies/regions and their different laws and regulations on taxes.

I think you are confusing region locked with user locked though, you can buy a new copy of KoA, download the online pass in whatever region the code is for on a dummy account, then switch to your account and still have access to everything.
    That may be true but its a lot of extra work for nothing.

I don't buy the whole tax code thing though. I hear what your saying, but every country has their own currency and their own laws and tax regulations. The US is different than Canada for example. Why isn't their a 'country' lock. Region 1 games are basically US versions but their codes work fine for my 'Canadian' account. I don't see why the passes need to be region locked to fall in line with tax codes.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Til Death Do Us Part

ybt
    Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have a doubt!! I downloaded Battlefield 3 from a EU account, however I play it from my US account, there is no problem on that, my question is, if I buy the DLC from my US account, will I be able to play with the Battlefield 3 I downloaded from an EU account?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by ybt View Post
    I have a doubt!! I downloaded Battlefield 3 from a EU account, however I play it from my US account, there is no problem on that, my question is, if I buy the DLC from my US account, will I be able to play with the Battlefield 3 I downloaded from an EU account?
    DLC needs to match the region of the disc, the PSN / SEN account does not.

The exception to this rule, in most cases, is Australia (Region 4) and Europe (Region 2). For the purposes on the PSN / SEN, AU falls within the EU. AU DLC works with EU discs and vise-versa.

The only game that doesn't follow this general rule is Uncharted 2 where the DLC and disc region must be the same, ie Region 4 for both or Region 2 for both.

Neither AU nor EU DLC will work with other regional discs, eg USA (Region 1) and vise-versa. In your case, US BF3 DLC will NOT work with the EU-bought game, you'll need to buy the EU DLC.

PRO Member

Weird...I've never even heard of/experienced this problem until now. Hope your issue gets solved.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

ybt
    Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    DLC needs to match the region of the disc, the PSN / SEN account does not.

The exception to this rule, in most cases, is Australia (Region 4) and Europe (Region 2). For the purposes on the PSN / SEN, AU falls within the EU. AU DLC works with EU discs and vise-versa.

The only game that doesn't follow this general rule is Uncharted 2 where the DLC and disc region must be the same, ie Region 4 for both or Region 2 for both.

Neither AU nor EU DLC will work with other regional discs, eg USA (Region 1) and vise-versa. In your case, US BF3 DLC will NOT work with the EU-bought game, you'll need to buy the EU DLC.
    thanks, guess I'll wait till my friend buys the DLC from her EU account then.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I've never heard of this, but then I've not tried either of those games. But AFAIK any code used for redeeming through PSN has never been locked onto an account until one of the accounts accesses it first.

The only way I can see some sort of account locking is if there is an in-game or proprietary system of redeeming codes such as The Saboteur's midnight show 16 character code (PSN specific codes are only 12 characters long), or UPlay for Ubisoft. However, in Uplay's case, the content is equally available across all regions, and has nothing to do with using a PSN ID region being different to the game's native region. Ex. I could get Uplay content on my Thai PSN ID, even though I had a region 1 version of ACB.
    There are quite a few games that do this. DC Universe, White Knight Chronicles 2, Elemental Monster. DLC and Online passes are tied to the account, so making a new account for a different region doesn't work. And there is no work around.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Legend...Nuff Said

I actually sent an email to the KoA customer service. I got a hash reply with a link to EA's FAQ on the game. Nothing on there to fix the problem, or an explanation.

L
    Til Death Do Us Part

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    There are quite a few games that do this. DC Universe, White Knight Chronicles 2, Elemental Monster. DLC and Online passes are tied to the account, so making a new account for a different region doesn't work. And there is no work around.
    Thanks for pointing out. I went and did some searching and this is indeed the case. I've edited my previous post with the updated information

Lvl 9 - Gold

Thanks for pointing out. I went and did some searching and this is indeed the case. I've edited my previous post with the updated information
    Np, It's nice when a game allows us to have an open DL on PSN for a online pass, so we can use it on multiple PS3's on multiple accounts. But some games do not allow that, and for good reason. I'm used to buying DLC for 1 game and able to use it on all my accounts. Not the case for DCUO lol. Same with the other games I listed.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 7 - Gold

i found this thread via google.

I have a Aussie version of Medal of Honor Warfighter, if i buy a Italian online pass, will it work or will i have to create a Italian count?

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]