Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Double fine start a kickstarter fund for making a new Adventure click game.

This is a discussion on Double fine start a kickstarter fund for making a new Adventure click game. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions — Kickstarter Welcome to the Adventure The world of video ...

INTJ

Double fine start a kickstarter fund for making a new Adventure click game.

Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions — Kickstarter

Welcome to the Adventure

The world of video game design is a mysterious one. What really happens behind the closed doors of a development studio is often unknown, unappreciated, or misunderstood. And the bigger the studio, the more tightly shut its door tends to be. With this project, we're taking that door off its hinges and inviting you into the world of Double Fine Productions, the first major studio to fully finance their next game with a Kickstarter campaign and develop it in the public eye.

Double Fine Productions

Founded in 2000 by industry veteran Tim Schafer (Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango), the San Francisco-based company has established itself as a unique creative force with critically-acclaimed titles such as Pyschonauts, Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, and Double Fine Happy Action Theater. This year, you'll be given a front-row seat as they revisit Tim's design roots and create a brand-new, downloadable "Point-and-Click" graphic adventure game for the modern age.

Why Kickstarter?

Big games cost big money. Even something as "simple" as an Xbox LIVE Arcade title can cost upwards of two or three million dollars. For disc-based games, it can be over ten times that amount. To finance the production, promotion, and distribution of these massive undertakings, companies like Double Fine have to rely on external sources like publishers, investment firms, or loans. And while they fulfill an important role in the process, their involvement also comes with significant strings attached that can pull the game in the wrong directions or even cancel its production altogether. Thankfully, viable alternatives have emerged and gained momentum in recent years.

Crowd-sourced fundraising sites like Kickstarter have been an incredible boon to the independent development community. They democratize the process by allowing consumers to support the games they want to see developed and give the developers the freedom to experiment, take risks, and design without anyone else compromising their vision. It's the kind of creative luxury that most major, established studios simply can't afford. At least, not until now.

Keeping the scale of the project this small accomplishes two things. First and foremost, Double Fine gets to make the game they want to make, promote it in whatever manner they deem appropriate, and release the finished product on their own terms. Secondly, since they’re only accountable to themselves, there’s an unprecedented opportunity to show the public what game development of this caliber looks like from the inside. Not the sanitized commercials-posing-as-interviews that marketing teams only value for their ability to boost sales, but an honest, in-depth insight into a modern art form that will both entertain and educate gamers and non-gamers alike.

About the Project
    Over a six-to-eight month period, a small team under Tim Schafer's supervision will develop Double Fine's next game, a classic point-and-click adventure. Where it goes from there will unfold in real time for all the backers to see.

2 Player Productions will be documenting the creative process and releasing monthly video updates exclusively to the Kickstarter backers. This documentary series will strive to make the viewer as much a part of the process as possible by showing a game grow from start to finish, with all the passion, humor, and heartbreak that happens along the way. Double Fine is committed to total transparency with this project, ensuring it is one of the most honest depictions of game development ever conceived.

There will be a private online community set up for the backers to discuss the project with the devs and submit their thoughts and feelings about the game's content and direction, sometimes even voting on decisions when the dev team can't decide. Backers will also have access to help test the game once a beta is available. Once the game is finished, backers will receive the completed version in the available format of their choice.

For fans of adventure games, this is a chance to prove that there is still a large demand out there for a unique medium that inspired so many of us.

Rewards
    This whole experience is being offered for the flat backer contribution of $15. We believe that beyond the reward of receiving the finished game, the ability to be a participant in the project makes this a unique opportunity.

For anyone who wants to contribute above and beyond the call, we have a selection of premium rewards ranging from a download of the full documentary series in splendid 1080p HD video with bonus footage, to unique posters, original concept art, and even a mini painting of yourself done by the game's artist!

For those of you who want to be really special, check out Double Fine for details on super premium high level rewards!

Closing
    For anyone interested in the inner workings of the game industry, either professionally or as a fan, this project will be a landmark in exploring the art of development. For people that just love great games, this is an opportunity to help bring one to fruition.

Q: How will I get the game?

A: Steam codes will be delivered to all backers.

Q: How do I get access to the beta?

A: On Steam. Isn’t Steam the best?!

15$ gives you the whole game, access to the beta, and more

30$ and higher gives you a documentary, soundtrack, and everything above

100$ gives you a poster, a thanks message in the credits, and everything above (shipping on poster is free in us, 10$ international)

250$ The same poster above, but signed by the whole dev team (Including Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert). Everything above too.

1000$ and you get a artist from the game make a portrait of you along with everything above.

5000$ Gives ya a painting from art in the game and everything above

10,000$ (already sold out. People like Gabe Newell, felicia day, and more bought a spot.) lets you hang out with tim, Rob, and others at a lunch at double fine and everything above.

$15,000 Key members of the dev team lunch, everything above.

$20,000 Dinner AND BOWLING! Everything above too.

$30,000 A Picture of Rob Gilbert smiling, everything above.

$35,000 A Undoctored picture of Rob Gilbert smiling, Everything above.

$50,000 You are now a character in the game, everything above.

if you pledge 150,000$ (you obviously have that money) you get everything that is able to be given with pledges and one of 4 original shrink wrapped copies of the triangle box case game "day of the tentacle"
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-09-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Get bent...

I might have gone for the $10,000 donation just so I could get Felicia Day into a dark corner somewhere and do dirty things to her.

Doubt I would be able to easily explain why I spent that kind of money on lunch and a BJ though.......
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

INTJ

i would pay 10,000$ to spend a lunch with some of the most popular people in gaming culture

hell i would pay a million just to sit tim schafer and gabe newell together to see what happens.

but i don't have that money, oh well.

Kiwi Defender

Oh boy, I'd love to have that Day of the Tentacle box, but I ain't willing to invest that much money for the game. Might try to donate something between $30-$250.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Platinum Procrastinator

If there was an option for PSN then I'd donate without hesitation. I don't use Steam and don't want to invest in the project hoping they make enough to move onto other platforms. However, I will say this is a brilliant move on their part and hope they make lots of money on it.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

INTJ

if you give them more money you will be able to see more versions of the game

so give them money so hopefully a ps3 version exists.

meanwhile they just broke the $ 900,000 barrier (their goal was $400,000)

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    meanwhile they just broke the $ 900,000 barrier (their goal was $400,000)
    Well, that fast!

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

illegal in 9 countries

It's over $1,000,000. They're going to end up with a commercial-sized budget of several million or more considering there's still 32 days left!

Gotta love Kickstarter - push the publishers out of the way, allow the studio full creative control and give gamers the game they want to play rather than what we're told we want.

Aside from backing the game, this is a great opportunity for gamers to get an insight into the development process. I urge you to consider pledging $30 to get your grubby mitts on the game and a HD download of the documentary being made about creating the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    If there was an option for PSN then I'd donate without hesitation. I don't use Steam and don't want to invest in the project hoping they make enough to move onto other platforms. However, I will say this is a brilliant move on their part and hope they make lots of money on it.
    Given the way the Kickstarter project has started with over a million raised in a day, it's entirely possible they'll have the budget to bring it to PSN and XBL, which would be beyond their wildest expectations.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 02-09-2012 at 06:15 PM.

INTJ

hot indie game love
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.

illegal in 9 countries

One thing to note - you're not charged unless the project meets the funding goal and not until the date the funding ends.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I thought it only came to the pc.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

INTJ

Kiwi Defender

They'll even add voice acting and 5 different languages for the text ? This is turning out even better than expected ! Here's hoping they get even moar moneyz so they get to add more features.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

if you give them more money you will probably get a psn version

so give them more money.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    if you give them more money you will probably get a psn version

so give them more money.
    Why would I want one, though? Point and Click games work best on a PC (or with a touchscreen), so I wouldn't even bother with the PSN one.

Toggle Spoiler

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Why would I want one, though? Point and Click games work best on a PC (or with a touchscreen), so I wouldn't even bother with the PSN one.
    because double fine

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Trophies...duh I agree Nag - I reckon iOS on an iPad will play the best.

It's coming to PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and *some* Android devices. I like that last part...

Crocodile Hunter

I think those ridiculously high money pledges is them just having fun and thinking of something cool. I dnt think they actually expect any1 to do it...imagine if someone does tho...to be a character in a game would be

Sig by Apokolypz

INTJ

oh look another update

Ahoy, Backers of Adventure! And potential Backers of Adventure! And Haters of Adventure who come here whenever they feel like gnashing their teeth and seething with rage!
    To the first group, we’d like to say THANK YOU again for the incredible support you've given this project. You’ve changed the way we are thinking about it, and you’ve changed the way EVERYBODY is thinking about a lot of things.
    To say thanks to the first group, to entice the second group to join the first group, and to confound and annoy the third group, we are now offering these NEW REWARDS!

The Digital Soundtrack of the Documentary ($30 reward tier) Listen to the awesome game soundtrack at the same time as the awesome documentary soundtrack! I don’t know if that makes sense, or if it’s even medically advisable, but at least this way you have the option!

Special edition box containing both the game disc and a DVD or Blu-Ray of the documentary ($100 reward tier) Perhaps you’re not hip to this digital download craze. Or maybe you just like really nice boxes to put on your mantel so that your guests might linger and admire them while you pour another scotch. Either way, this is gonna be suuuper rad.

The Double Fine Adventure Book ($60 reward tier for a digital PDF, $500 reward tier for a physical copy) WTF? ART? In your MFing HANDS? Whoa Nellie, this is an exciting new development! Filled with concept art, developer bios, excerpts from the game’s script, and deep dark secrets, this book will further expand on this entire adventure. It will be made available both as a super nice, mantel-ready hardcover book in the $500 reward tier, and as a digital PDF in the $60 reward tier for people who just want to read it on the crapper with their iPads. (By the way, never ask to borrow my iPad.)

SO MANY NEW REWARDS!!!! To memorialize this momentous occasion, we’ve got a special treat for you. About a month before we launched the Kickstarter we filmed a 35 minute conversation in which Tim and Ron discussed what adventure games are, what it is like to make them, and what different forms they’ve taken over the years. It’s like watching Bill Moyers talking to Joseph Campbell, but if those guys were cool. We’ve embedded a 5 minute clip of that conversation below, but you can see the full version here.

This project has really grown into something much larger than we were expecting, which is-scientifically speaking-awesome. Many of you have been asking if this means we’ll be taking a bit more time with the production, and the answer is yes. This is not a cute, quick little game anymore. This is the real deal. This is a capital-G Game. This means that some rewards might show up a bit later than originally intended but fear not, it’s all to make sure we provide you with something that is worthy of the love bomb you detonated over Double Fine. Kaaaaa-blooooxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxo!
    That’s the sound a love bomb makes.
    THANKS AGAIN AND WE’LL BE TALKING MORE SOON!!!

edit:

just got this in the kickstarter pm system

Dear lovely $250 Double Fine Adventure Backer,
    We've been getting a lot of folks asking if there's a way to upgrade their pledge to $500 to receive the Double Fine Adventure Book, but still hold onto the signed poster. The answer is, THERE IS!!! Just go ahead and up your pledge to $500, but keep your reward selection as the signed poster. We'll make sure you get the book as well.
    Thanks so much for the support!!

NSFW

I'm tempted to donate 100 dollars. My name in a Double Fine Game (Even though it's just at the end of the credits (but still)) is a thought.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast