Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Demon souls was Underestimated by Sony US

This is a discussion on Demon souls was Underestimated by Sony US within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Denaratuck Care to name some games that do the exact same thing as Dark Souls and also ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Care to name some games that do the exact same thing as Dark Souls and also have "less clunky gameplay"
    This is a loaded question if I've ever heard one.

Before I answer, I'd like to hear what you think makes Dark Souls unique, and I swear to God if you say the difficulty...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post

Before I answer, I'd like to hear what you think makes Dark Souls unique, and I swear to God if you say the difficulty...
    What will you do if he does say that? Will you mention Superman 64 or Ghost N' Goblins ?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Hidefninja.com

I'm the same as the Sony rep, and a few above me. I get frustrated easily, and gave up on Demon's Souls a few hours after i started playing it, and i never game Dark Souls a chance due to it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    What will you do if he does say that? Will you mention Superman 64 or Ghost N' Goblins ?
    I'll slink away in defeat, with my tail between my legs.

PRO Member

I'm with the Rep aswel. I played it, thought it was shit and gave up for a while. Then picked it up again and got into it properly and completed it.
    Now I've got Dark Souls and I will platinum it.... probably.

Platinum Procrastinator

What got me about your original post was how you felt it suffered from clunky gameplay. I on the other hand found it to be very responsive unlike a lot of other games. If I died, it was purely my fault, not the games. Its not like Dragon Age or Skyrim where I could go out and hit different buttons and have a lot of forgiveness from my enemies. You do that in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls and you die. It doesn't spoon feed you the whole time and you have to learn to become good at it or you die.

Now in saying that, I'm not saying that difficulty = a good game! However, it certainly does add to the ambiance when playing a game like this. Really, all I wanted to know was what games you felt did the exact same thing as Dark Souls, only better because I don't consider very many games to be like Demon's/Dark Souls.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by kiona05 View Post
    lol that guy sounded like me after playing my first 2 hours. "this game is a pile of shit, cant even get up the first set of stairs. screw this, taking this game back!" 6 months and a platinum later...its my all time favorite now. yup they dropped da ball.
    This pretty much sums it up for me. After 20 mins I thought this was a terrible game. Who the hell makes massive levels without checkpoints? It was only after I managed to open up the first shortcut, and realised that it stayed open that I understood what this game was trying to do. Would be one of the best games I played last year.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I like how he says, "we love demon souls" but earlier he said "this is crap"
    do u like it because it makes money, or is it genuinely a good game?
    the truth could not be more clear

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    What got me about your original post was how you felt it suffered from clunky gameplay. I on the other hand found it to be very responsive unlike a lot of other games. If I died, it was purely my fault, not the games. Its not like Dragon Age or Skyrim where I could go out and hit different buttons and have a lot of forgiveness from my enemies. You do that in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls and you die. It doesn't spoon feed you the whole time and you have to learn to become good at it or you die.

Now in saying that, I'm not saying that difficulty = a good game! However, it certainly does add to the ambiance when playing a game like this. Really, all I wanted to know was what games you felt did the exact same thing as Dark Souls, only better because I don't consider very many games to be like Demon's/Dark Souls.
    As someone who played DS for over 120 hours and got the on his own, I disagree with the controls being very responsive. More than once they failed me in my time of need and resulted in thousands of souls being dropped alongside a stain of my own blood. Sure, the controls were very good most of the time, but they did feel a bit clunky and unresponsive at times.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    As someone who played DS for over 120 hours and got the on his own, I disagree with the controls being very responsive. More than once they failed me in my time of need and resulted in thousands of souls being dropped alongside a stain of my own blood. Sure, the controls were very good most of the time, but they did feel a bit clunky and unresponsive at times.
    The only time I *EVER* had a complaint about the controls in Demon's Souls was how randomly wacky the lock-on could be...other than that, it's solid.

More times than I'd like to remember, Dark Souls combat was purely unresponsive. It frequently took more than 3 seconds for the game to register that I wanted to swing my goddamn weapon...it was usually too late by then.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    The only time I *EVER* had a complaint about the controls in Demon's Souls was how randomly wacky the lock-on could be...other than that, it's solid.
    Yeah, most of my issues were with the lock-on too, more than with anything else.

Toggle Spoiler

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post

More times than I'd like to remember, Dark Souls combat was purely unresponsive. It frequently took more than 3 seconds for the game to register that I wanted to swing my goddamn weapon...it was usually too late by then.
    Yeah, the random lock on has got me falling of cliffs before. And the delay has got my killed aswel, go to critical them in the back, he does nothing then a second later will strike and I'll usually die because of it

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I like how even the top rollers at Sony play the game before they decide they wan't to release it. I find it also very funny that the reason everybody loves/hates the game is also the reason they did not wan't to release it in the US.

One question, did he ever replay it and maybe complete it? What's his standpoint on the game after he finished it?
    Sig/Avatar by JackAttack

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Hope you don't mind me joining in. The thing that makes dark souls (and demon souls) unique is the atmosphere.
    there are no technicolor orcs and other camp beasties, only things that want your blood. Finally a couple of really good
    dark RPGs

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yeah Dark Souls was the worst game ever. It was terribly hard, even the first boss that I could never beat. Fuck that game, I took it back 2 days later.

Lvl 8 - Gold

It's a pretty good game, but it has the worst final boss I've ever seen. After fighting all of those epic bosses, I thought that the Old One would be something even more awesome.... he just turned out to be a huge pile of shit, leaves and condoms.
    Last edited by Deth; 02-17-2012 at 04:53 PM.

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by FFXOcifferCop View Post
    Yeah Dark Souls was the worst game ever. It was terribly hard, even the first boss that I could never beat. Fuck that game, I took it back 2 days later.
    You serious? You couldn't get past the tutorial? :stare:

Nope, nothing

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    Hell, thats the same scenario I was in, and I got pissed and never touched it again. I don't see the appeal in Demon's Souls, I just rented it and sat down once to play and never did again.
    Really? You don't see the appeal because you can't play it, right?

It's awesome dude, sit down, play it again, don't poose out

дурак

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    You serious? You couldn't get past the tutorial? :stare:
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he didn't go through the door in the beggining BEFORE he gets his real equipment. And if he did, than... wow. @topic: The only thing I've seen that is mildly unresponsive is when you bring your shield up. It feels like it takes a half second to register the input. But that's just me.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

PRO Member

Old news is old...

Plus why didn't you link the whole interview or pick this outlet? Joystiq contains the part of the interview where the Sony exec explains that when the initial US evaluation took place they got some really shit version of the game where much of it didn't work.

Either way, yes as a publisher this one ranks pretty high as a mistake all time. Most certainly up there for this generation.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast