Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Demon souls was Underestimated by Sony US

This is a discussion on Demon souls was Underestimated by Sony US within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Demon's Souls 'underestimated' by Sony - Shacknews.com - Video Game News, Trailers, Game Videos, and Files There's a reason why ...

INTJ

Demon souls was Underestimated by Sony US

Demon's Souls 'underestimated' by Sony - Shacknews.com - Video Game News, Trailers, Game Videos, and Files

There's a reason why Demon's Souls was a PS3 exclusive. In Japan, the game was published by Sony. However, in America, the game was published by Atlus--after Sony's US division passed on the opportunity to release the game stateside. In a new interview, Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida admitted that the refusal was "one of Sony's biggest software mistakes this generation."

"We underestimated the quality of the game," Yoshida said.

"When it was close to final I spent close to two hours playing it and after two hours I was still standing at the beginning at the game. I said, 'This is crap. This is an unbelievably bad game,'" Yoshida told Game Informer. "So I put it aside."

Demon's Souls went on to become a tremendous success for Atlus. The game even won a few Game of the Year nods, before developer From Software decided to make a multiplatform "sequel" in the form of Dark Souls.

"We definitely dropped the ball from a publishing standpoint, including studio management side. We were not able to see the value of the product we were making," Yoshida lamented. The studio head hopes to never "make the same mistake again," and notes that Sony still owns the Demon's Souls IP. "Our business is to grow our IP and we love Demon’s Souls. From Software is a very important business partner, so we'll see."

ya blew it
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-10-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Kiwi Defender

Not surpising. It was a huge gamble that paid off big in the end, afterall. Even From didn't expect it to do half as well as it did.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I hear it is a impressive game. I might get it eventually. But, thats f'ed up how he said that about the game.
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Death to zombies!!

Sony's US department made a big mistake, still at the begining after 2 hours YOU SUCK

Sig by djunglist
    Platboy bar by Hitmon133

My checklist
    Stu's pot of shinies

Since Aug. 09

lol that guy sounded like me after playing my first 2 hours. "this game is a pile of shit, cant even get up the first set of stairs. screw this, taking this game back!" 6 months and a platinum later...its my all time favorite now. yup they dropped da ball.

Dominate!

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by stupot00 View Post
    Sony's US department made a big mistake, still at the begining after 2 hours YOU SUCK
    Hell, thats the same scenario I was in, and I got pissed and never touched it again. I don't see the appeal in Demon's Souls, I just rented it and sat down once to play and never did again.

The Temple of the King

While this is old news that Sony said they dropped the ball on this game, the reason that he gave is pretty surprising to me.

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Easily done, not exactly a wider market title is it?

Yes i know it's great and mega super hardcore and all that but not everyone want's to play that sort of thing, you can see how it can come across.

Anyway, multiplatform or not, it got noticed and got a sequel, all is right in the world!

Lvl 4 - Silver

All my respects to Atlus, for bringing one of the best games I've ever played to the other side of the world.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I actually still have that game and its probably thick with dust. I got sloughtered by some other player who was a phantom, caught me completely off guard but I got pissed and havent touched it since. But if its as good as everyone says it ends up being then im gonna have totry and plat it.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSonofvenom View Post
    Easily done, not exactly a wider market title is it?

Yes i know it's great and mega super hardcore and all that but not everyone want's to play that sort of thing, you can see how it can come across.

Anyway, multiplatform or not, it got noticed and got a sequel, all is right in the world!
    Agreed. I'm not very into these sort of games, but i can understand the attraction for alot of gamers.. But Sony dropped the ball indeed seeing how succesful this game has become... In many years and even now it's going to have a cultstatus i think..

PRO Member

i agree with their statement......... agree completely

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quite frankly, the game is kind of crap. After seeing Dark Soul's on my brothers PS3, there are quite a few games that do the exact same thing as Dark Souls... but considerably better. Better stories, better graphics, less clunky gameplay, more intuitive interfaces, better (or at least on par) customization and character development.

I don't really like that 'challenging' has become synonymous with 'good'.

INTJ

the game is terrible

the difficulty is basically "these guys have more health then you, thats all"

there's no difficulty involved once you get controls down.

serious sam is a difficult game series.

Negator

This is old news...

Let's just hope that they actually make a true sequel to Demon's Souls...not this Dark Souls bullshit.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

The One and Only

I almost bought Demon Souls and got Dark Souls instead, but I heard great things about Demon Souls. That's why I almost bought it.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
    Quite frankly, the game is kind of crap. After seeing Dark Soul's on my brothers PS3, there are quite a few games that do the exact same thing as Dark Souls... but considerably better. Better stories, better graphics, less clunky gameplay, more intuitive interfaces, better (or at least on par) customization and character development.

I don't really like that 'challenging' has become synonymous with 'good'.
    Care to name some games that do the exact same thing as Dark Souls and also have "less clunky gameplay"

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    This is old news...

Let's just hope that they actually make a true sequel to Demon's Souls...not this Dark Souls bullshit.
    The game was/is good, move along. I still don't understand why you hate it so much.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Plats-O'-War!!

So, is this really good? I never played this before, and I have it still in plastic. Don't know if I wanna go through a game where I'm gonna die ever 5 seconds, but I know this is a good game. Should I play it, or sell it?

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    So, is this really good? I never played this before, and I have it still in plastic. Don't know if I wanna go through a game where I'm gonna die ever 5 seconds, but I know this is a good game. Should I play it, or sell it?
    in this game, dying is a good thing until you become better at it.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Well, you already have it. Might as well give it a try and judge by yourself.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast