Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

5 video game franchises that should take a break.

This is a discussion on 5 video game franchises that should take a break. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Deth - Star Wars: Rogue Squadron If it's like the original, I agree....

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    - Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
    If it's like the original, I agree.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Legend...Nuff Said

I'm going against the grain and will say no franchise needs to take a break.
    I think the phrase 'nothing has changed in the game' which a lot of people sum up their reasons for retiring a series is silly.

I don't get why everyone and their dog has to to 'oh, but this series hasn't changed." Its the most BS phrase I've heard. Every single game franchise changes from game to game. It might be major changes or small changes or cosmetic changes but they are still CHANGES.
    No franchise should have to be forced to change because you know what happens? You get what people are bitching about now with the RE games. Oh, 3 is getting stale for being the same as 2, oh 4 is so great and innovative, damn 5 is too much like 4 and why can't it be more like 3?

Articles that bitch about game franchises being the same annoy the crap out of me because their the most useless drivel. Newsflash! Mario 1 is the same as Mario 3 and the same as Mario World. The COD games are the same. The majority of popular franchises are the same. The reason why is people people like them that way, so the developers are making a franchise with mechanics people like.

Lets take an example: Dynasty Warriors, the king of the button mashers. Love or hate the franchise all it is is an old school beat-em up button masher like Streets of Rage or Final Fight except in 3D. If they create something different then it wouldn't be Dynasty Warriors, it'd be something else. Some basic, core components of a franchise can't change otherwise it wouldn't be that franchise anymore. Its simple, basic design 101.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I think Call of duty should be the first one on the list. They should take a couple of years off and come fresh. Because, they have been selling sos for a while now. Oh and Need for speed.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i agree with sonic the hedgehog

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Anything related to Crapcom.

and I'd say Assassin's Creed, but the only problem are the release of the games. All we really needed to play was AC1,2, and Revelations. But Revelations could have easily been summarized at the beginning of the thir game probably instead of giving itself its own game which seemed like a waste of an adventure. Played Brotherhood and got bored of AC1 and 2. This series really needs to cut on its pointless stories. Just give a full game for once Ubisoft.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I see everyone's points and I do agree with a lot of them. Alot of this is also coming from new IP's that we arn't seeing. As for people saying Uncharted needs a break. Other than the Vita version coming out Uncharted is taking a break. Naughty Dog is doing The Last Of Us instead of Uncharted 4. As for Sonic the hedgehog I played generations and enjoyed it. Sonic has had some bad games but they don't come out every year. With The Sims I think they cut a lot of things out of the game just to sell it in expansion packs to the hardcore fans. There are a lot of franchises that we wish would take a break and just end but then it's the cult following that each of the titles has that makes the companys and developers make another one. Yes there are too many Resident Evil games and being a huge fan I have tried to take an afternoon to actually go through the entire timeline and it was very hard and confusing. Assissan's Creed should take a year off before they come out with the big epic next game but then it would screw up the timline/story they are trying to time with the end of the world and 2012 blah blah blah. Also being a huge WWE fan sometimes I wish they did take a year off and try to work on more for the next year but like all other sports games there are enough improvements and roster updates to warrent purchases.

Oh and one last thing.......WHERE IS MY LEGEND OF DRAGOON 2???????

Mr. X

I think Call of Duty should but then I believe everything asscoiated with that series should be shot into the sun.

For a franchise I actually like I'd say Assassin's Creed.
    The first one was a good idea but it was flawed. The second one came and fixed everything that was wrong with the first. Then Brotherhood was just the same but with a quirky new feature and now they have Revelations which looks exactly the same as the last two but with some other quirky addition. Don't get me wrong they're good games but it's just oversaturation. I'd rather them have taken time and made some serious improvements and changes to bring us Assassin's Creed III without the scraps thrown out to try and satiate us.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I think they should take a break with the Sims. I mean commom, some people who are playing those games don't even know how to live their real lives
    As for AC, i can bare it... But they should stop with Sonic and let a hero from the past suffer no more.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I'd beg to disagree. FIFA keeps evolving gameplay-wise (unlike all the other games mentioned in this thread). Just look at FIFA 2012 and how different (and harder) it is from 2011.
    I agree to disagree. I know they change the formula and keep inovating, but at the end of the day you're just getting terrible servers each year, incredibly repetitive career mode and every single year they boast about something like 'Personality plus'. Load of bull if you ask me, who cares if Ronaldo moves a little bit more life like than in the last game, or who cares that you can now control a keeper that gets boring after 3 games?

Yes they keep getting better every year, but they also keep failing to fix things. Such as the menus. The menus are atrocious, you have to ttrawl through endless lists of crap until you finally find the basic thing you're looking for. I don't want to pay an extra Ģ40 for yet another game with the same problems. If they took a years break they could fix the majority of FIFA's problems and also add in more than one feature that people will actually continue to use and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BSm...eature=mh_lolz

THE LINK ABOVE IS A PILE OF SHIT, PLEASE DON'T CLICK ON IT. THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

Lvl 7 - Gold

The way people talk about Mega Man, I never want to see another game with him in it again. Unless of course it's the Mega Man from Street Fighter x Tekken.

Games that should come back:
    Chrono Break! One of the two reasons why I bought the PS3. Other being MGS4.
    KoToR.
    Baldur's Gate.
    Final Fantasy Tactics. I thought the GBA games were awful.
    Doom the RPG. Not the FPS but the game where you get to play as Doom and do paper work. That game was awesome!
    Bible Fighter V: From the ashes, Jesus Rises!
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Here is my list of 5 in no order:

Uncharted (I think ND should put Uncharted 4 into development for 3-4 years and bring back the franchise with a BANG!!!!!!)
    Halo (nuff said)
    Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft is just milking the franchise and why not)
    Call of Duty (If Activision made a legitimate PS3 version and used the capacity of the blu-ray disc then I would be stoked for one every year)
    Ratchet and Clank (Unless it's an HD Collection)

Franchises that should return:

Road Rash
    Gradius
    Double Dragon
    Crash Bandicoot
    Parasite Eve
    Dino Crisis
    Chrono or Secret series (Square Enix needs to put FF on the shelf for a bit and bring back some of the old school franchises)

All the above titles I want on the PS3/360 because of the graphics advantages those two consoles have. If Microsoft throws down a boat load of money for an exclusive on the above mentioned games then I would not like that.
    Last edited by MAXTHUNDER; 02-12-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by y2cloud View Post
    As for people saying Uncharted needs a break. Other than the Vita version coming out Uncharted is taking a break. Naughty Dog is doing The Last Of Us instead of Uncharted 4.
    Not really. Naughty Dog has split into two teams.

One has been doing The Last of Us for quite some time now.
    The other did Uncharted 3, and nobody knows what that team will do next.

About AC: AC II is by far the best game in the series. I actually like the multiplayer in Brotherhood/Revelations, but the ridiculous level grinding to to try and plat Brotherhood soured me on it quite a bit. I platted Revelations, but it was honestly a chore by the end. I know the next game will come in November/December, but I will probably wait a while before getting it.

DON'T BLINK

The only one I'd allow EA to bring back would be the Mutant League series. Can you imagine hockey or football with the engines they have today. Or hell even a new one, Mutant League Basketball or some shit.

PRO Member

Sonic and AC FTW!! I did play Dynasty Warriors on PS2 and I loved it, sadly I haven't tried the PS3 versions as I'm interested in other games.
    I can't comment on the other 2 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I pretty much agree with them all. Might add Mario in the mix too, alongside Ratchet and Clank and maybe Resident Evil spin-off games.
    You're an evil

Sig by Smashguy

Lvl 7 - Gold

i cant talk for the others as i never played them. but for AC although it been a long time doing them, i think they are changing the story and it keeps getting interesting

Retired

Call of Duty
    Mario
    Skylanders (Spyro)
    Command and Conquer
    and finally Sims.

Lvl 9 - Gold

COD, so stupid gamers can put their money somewhere else that can make other series blossom.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Resident PHD

The thing about giving a game a break is you risk making it irrelevant. Imagine if Call of Duty took a year or two off and then came back with a kickass shooter. A lot of the fans may have moved on to other games and may or may not come back to it. If you give people a chance to breathe then they may realize your product isn't very good. This is why Activision announces the new COD game before this year's even comes out.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Chuck Norris Approved.

I never did understand the appeal of the sims or what is it second life? I mean I have a wife and job ect. The last thing I want to do is maintain a virtual life in my free time.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Wargazsem View Post
    I never did understand the appeal of the sims or what is it second life? I mean I have a wife and job ect. The last thing I want to do is maintain a virtual life in my free time.
    You can screw around in work (ingame) without real life consequence. Guess thatīs kinda fun.
    Hand-bra Jeans

The exposure of the female's soft body. Whether you like it or not, being naked to the waist and the mismatch between the hard and thick jeans. The true essence is the union of girly and boyish styles.At the same time, the hand-bra forces even the current girls that lack shameful feelings to make an embarrassing pose. Depending on how it is seen, it also shows a form of eroticism by making it look like the girls are rubbing their own breasts.

Medaka Box

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast