Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Did Sony Confirm Uncharted 4?

This is a discussion on Did Sony Confirm Uncharted 4? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by One Nothing wrong with milking a franchise as long as the games are well done, I don't ...

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    Nothing wrong with milking a franchise as long as the games are well done, I don't see a sequel being dished out every year so there really shouldn't be a problem.
    yea but judging by how they ended #3 the next one isn't going to be good.

i always wanted to play a good game where a truly bad guy wins but they don't make fun of the good guys to make you hate them.

something like evil genius but not that gameplay type or artstyle.

One
    Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    But what relevance does Uncharted 3's ending hold towards Uncharted 4's quality?

An Uncharted game has never ended on a cliffhanger, each one starts and ends, just the way it should be.

A lot of people cry out saying how much of a disappointment Uncharted 3 was, but trying to make a game better than Uncharted 2 would be pure suicide.

"Oh, so you think that the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted it, I was born in it."

Buy my book, Alteration

The update sounds right. As much as the Uncharted series is fun, it needs a break.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Legend...Nuff Said

I'll say the same thing I said for a lot of games, keep Uncharted the same.
    If people want to see a whole different game, then ask for a whole different game. If people want to play Uncharted then expect Uncharted to be Uncharted. Expect Assassin's Creed to be Assassin's Creed. Expect CoD to be CoD. If you want something different than CoD then don't play CoD, play a different game. Don't complain that a game is too much the same as its predecessor. Its called basic game design/narrative design.

Here's a cautionary tale: The Suikoden series. 1 was good, 2 was the best RPG ever created. 1 and 2 had basically the same core game elements aka they played the same. A new mini game here, a new side quest there, and obviously a brand new story, but they played the same. #3 comes and they change the battle system. Now it doesn't play like Suikoden. #4 comes along and they change the system again, and its even worse. Finally with #5 they put the battle system back the way it was with 1 and 2 and its back to the greatness it was.

Whats the point of this cautionary tale? People bitch and moan about wanting something new all the time cause their beloved games play the same. But its almost a guarantee that if they something new goes against the core elements set out in the first couple titles, it won't be a good thing and those same people who complained their game was getting too stale and boring and being un-innovative will be the first ones to complain that their game should go back to being that boring and stale game it once was.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post

A lot of people cry out saying how much of a disappointment Uncharted 3 was, but trying to make a game better than Uncharted 2 would be pure suicide.

according to what i read from people complaining about UC3, the main reasons they think it's a dissapointment is that it felt rushed and unplanned. the reason people loved uc2 is that it felt planned and good/unrushed.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

according to what i read from people complaining about UC3, the main reasons they think it's a dissapointment is that it felt rushed and unplanned. the reason people loved uc2 is that it felt planned and good/unrushed.
    Aha. See, you judge others opinions based on games that either you haven't played, have no interest in playing or refuse to play. Now maybe you should actually form your oown personal opinion instead of building it upon others and then spreading them around with conviction as if they were facts.

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    So the Uncharted for the PS Vita doesn't count as Uncharted 4?

And it doesn't matter to me if they do have an Uncharted 4, I'm not going to play it regardless.
    No cause it's a prequel plus Naughty Dog didn't make it.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    I'm someone who likes innovation. I get bored easily when developers don't put the effort into games to actually improve upon them. I know I'm not alone in this (although the amount of CoD fanboys out there seriously outnumber me), yet developers always seem to be so closed-minded. When they know that their game is a commercial success, they're afraid to differ from what people loved the first time around.

The same thing is happening with Uncharted. The series lacks that surprising flare that it once had. Why? Because it's getting repetitive and boring and bland.
    Statements like these irritate me a lot. Quit using the bottom of the barrel to justify your opinions, go out and play some indie games or try a new game once in awhile, look at averages and big-pictures.

Not only that, but comparing UC to something like CoD and AC which have publicly said they are focusing on yearly iterations is just forcing a point.

Let me bring in three facts:

1) If you really want wholesale gameplay changes, don't buy sequels. Sequels are always going to be tweaks or minor changes to the gameplay.

2) UC has always been a story-centric series, why do you think Amy Hennig is the creative director? When you put her in charge the story is always going to be the driving force of the game...

When you pick up the next Uncharted game and aren't going to consider the story a new element, just put the game down and find something else because you are cheating yourself and the game.

3) When you talk about innovation, don't confuse existence with preference.

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    [...] So why cant they think that way about Uncharted.
    1) We have no idea when this game will be made or what it will be about. Lets reserve judgements like this for when we get more details. For christ sakes, ND came out and said the news in the TC's post wasn't an Uncharted game. Although they said UC isn't dead, we are all insinuating this means UC4, but we don't have details about it.

2) ND gets the benefit of the doubt from me, but I am not convinced The Last of Us is going to be great yet. Post-apocalyptia, particularly zombie-based post-apocalyptia is boring and over-used.

I have some hope because they have said the right things: Last of Us will be about Ellie and Joel, not the zombies and they showed the zombies in the first trailer so everybody gets over it and moves on. However, they are still utilizing a universe that really needs alot of work to make deep. Zombie post-apocalyptia can quickly go from interesting to kiddie-pool shallow because its so over-used.

You mean how all of them have ended? I'm not sure how the ending to UC3 has anything to do with why UC4 may or may not be good. UC3 ends the same way all 3 of them have ended.

The story archetype employed by UC always is a self-contained story with games that involve a set of core characters whose connections from story to story are related to development, not plot. The plots are always bubbles without any interdependence.

I also wouldn't be so quick to judge UC4. You sound like the same people who bitched when Bungie started hinting at Reach. Much like Halo, the UC universe is deep enough to support dynamic changes to the characters and story. The best stuff the Halo universe has offered thus far hasn't included Master Chief. I know thats not fair because MC is an empty vessel more than a real character and comparing him to Drake is like comparing a bowl to a person. My point is we don't know what ND wants to do with UC4. We have 0 details on this, not even a time frame.

i always wanted to play a good game where a truly bad guy wins but they don't make fun of the good guys to make you hate them.
    Aside from the fact that there are a ton of games like that (seriously, evil winning is used just as much as good winning and is done just as well/poorly on the whole)... I am confused what you mean by a game where the bad guys are hated because they make fun of the good guys.

I've never played a game where the basis for the villain aspect of the antagonist is that they make fun of the bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwan_Ratchet View Post
    Aha. See, you judge others opinions based on games that either you haven't played, have no interest in playing or refuse to play. Now maybe you should actually form your oown personal opinion instead of building it upon others and then spreading them around with conviction as if they were facts.
    Well... PS360 has beaten a couple Uncharted games though.

If you wanna argue he was per-determined to not like the game, fine. Don't call the guy out on something like that when he is basing his opinions on a game he has played.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

Research before you pretend you know shit please

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    I am confused what you mean by a game where the bad guys are hated because they make fun of the good guys.
    what i ment was That the good guys are made fun of in games where your evil so your forced to hate them.

For example in overlord 2, when you begin to club the seals they have stereotypical PETA-esque hippies yell and scream at you.

They should give me a actual reason to hate good instead of using forced shitty writing to make me hate it.

every time when the main character or story is focused around a bad guy, they make the good guys fucking idiots. there's fun and unique ways of doing it like Dr Horrible's sing-along blog musical (watch act 1, part 1 & Part 2 for examples) did where they made you fucking hate the good guy with great writing, and there's terrible ways that everyone in the gaming industry does it with forced cliches and stereotypes. I have yet to play a game where i wanted to be evil and the enemies are actually competent at something.
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-16-2012 at 12:56 PM.

PRO Member

Alright, maybe you have indeed played it, but my point still stands that you constantly preempt most of your opinion and then spread them around. The one time that you actually played the game you didn't even say so at first. :stare:

Kiwi Defender

Alright, maybe you have indeed played it, but my point still stands that you constantly preempt most of your opinion and then spread them around. The one time that you actually played the game you didn't even say so at first. :stare:
    That's because people inmediately assume you've played it, otherwise why would you be critizicing it? It's just like you talking about story/character development when you've shown before you don't know anything about it. We assume you know about it until later, when you demonstrate you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have yet to play a game where i wanted to be evil and the enemies are actually competent at something.
    Come to think of it, I can't recall playing a game where your opponent is a good guy and isn't a total moron, so I agree with you.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post

Come to think of it, I can't recall playing a game where your opponent is a good guy and isn't a total moron, so I agree with you.
    Play Heavy Rain and Vanquish.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Uncharted 4... Playstation 4... A pattern is forming...

PRO Member

They should give me a actual reason to hate good instead of using forced shitty writing to make me hate it.
    Problem is what you are asking to is inherently difficult to do with any real quality.

Evil is never "likeable" and ergo is difficult to empathize with, even in your example of Dr. Horrible's sing-along blog, Dr. Horrible isn't actually doing anything evil, you never see any of it, its never explained, most of the movie isn't even about his villainy.

The writing makes you empathize with him because he actually follows a archetypical protagonist arc and The Hammer follows a archetypical antagonist arc. When you follow that formula, the core elements of what is being acted on become irrelevant so long as they are handled with some reserve (i.e. something like Dexter works because Dexter has very specific rules, Dr. Horrible works because its comical evil, etc, etc).

The only real way to do it and still get a story that works on the other end is to do something like what I Saw the Devil did, but in that case you aren't empathizing with the "evil" character. You actually DON'T LIKE him or empathize with him, but the tension comes through the fact that you are rooting for what is the antagonizing force most of the film.

There are alot of examples of stories out there that attempt what you are saying (I don't know if its what you mean since you are using Dr. Horrible as your example), but they always end up being B-grade schlock or deliberately trying to evoke a sense of horror.

Again, its because Evil is inherently difficult to relate to and empathize with, which are critical to building a good protagonist.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Statements like these irritate me a lot. Quit using the bottom of the barrel to justify your opinions, go out and play some indie games or try a new game once in awhile, look at averages and big-pictures.

Not only that, but comparing UC to something like CoD and AC which have publicly said they are focusing on yearly iterations is just forcing a point.

Let me bring in three facts:

1) If you really want wholesale gameplay changes, don't buy sequels. Sequels are always going to be tweaks or minor changes to the gameplay.

2) UC has always been a story-centric series, why do you think Amy Hennig is the creative director? When you put her in charge the story is always going to be the driving force of the game...

When you pick up the next Uncharted game and aren't going to consider the story a new element, just put the game down and find something else because you are cheating yourself and the game.

3) When you talk about innovation, don't confuse existence with preference.
    Points 1 and 3 are valid, but I feel you've misunderstood me with what you said in #2.

It's not that I don't consider the story an element in Uncharted, hell that's the driving force behind why I bothered to buy these games in the first place. What I was saying is that the Uncharted story frankly isn't up to snuff, doesn't matter if Hennig is working on it or not. Originally, sure it was pretty cool because it had that cool sense of adventure that oozed out of pop culture things such as Indiana Jones. The twist at the end of the original was cool and unexpected, and it lead to a very good and character driven experience.

Then came Uncharted 2. Another solid story where character development was further involved, but it ultimately felt a lot like a copy of the original. There was the same twist with zombie-like powerful creatures attacking out of no where. Again, the character development saved this one.

But with Uncharted 3, the story really just stunk. While Drake and Sully and their relationship was really explored here (which I loved), other characters took a serious backseat to them. Chloe made an appearance for a few chapters or so, but then she was just gone all of a sudden. Given how important of a character she was in UC2, I thought this was rather lame. Even worse was how Elena was barely in it. Considering she was probably the biggest supporting character throughout the other two games, this was pretty bogus. Then factor in the fact that AGAIN Naughty Dog decided to have the SAME twist with zombie-like enemies in the end, and they also had like 3 chapters that were entirely filler at added nothing to the game's story, (yes, I'm looking at you, you stupid pirates and cruise ship levels) and the Uncharted 3 experience was rather lackluster when it comes to the story, hence why I was disappointed with it.

Which is why I want ND to take a step back and examine things before going ahead and writing another story for Uncharted 4. I swear to god if there's another damn zombie twist at the end...

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Maybe for the PS4 but not now (i hope).
    ★Greatness from small beginnings★

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Naughty Dog have split into two teams one is doing the Last Of Us and the other team is the one that finished Uncharted 3 so who knows what this team is doing a new uncharted, a new Jak and Daxter or a new IP

Lvl 7 - Gold

I don't know about Uncharted 4... Sounds like the start of milking the franchise to me......
    However i will enjoy Uncharted Golden Abyss on the Vita, that's a fact.

Check Those Corners

I like Uncharted, but I think they should focus on The Last of Us before another is released. Because The Last of Us could become a huge franchise like Uncharted or Metal Gear Solid. I would love to see another Uncharted, but I think they might end up rushing on The Last of Us to get all the hype round up for Uncharted 4.

INTJ

Again, its because Evil is inherently difficult to relate to and empathize with, which are critical to building a good protagonist.
    didn't the indie game braid do something like that.

because i remember the main character being portrayed as the bad guy in the end (then again i forgot alot about the game so i could be wrong).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123