Blu ray drive stopped reading

This is a discussion on Blu ray drive stopped reading within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi guys im just doing sum home work for my cuz , he was play n uc3 as we all ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Blu ray drive stopped reading

Hi guys im just doing sum home work for my cuz , he was play n uc3 as we all do and it locked up so he ejected disk it went to just a black screen and stayed there for ages .. so he pulled the power plug out on back of his slim ps3 after this it wont work the disk drive i mean dose not read any disk now... iv tried a cold start didn't help could i maybe try ay system restore to help . as far as i know it had no yellow light. any help or sum one who has experienced this with sum knowledge would be much appreciated.....

cheers guysNgals

MMA Fan Extraordinaire

Your best bet is to get the drive replaced. My 80gb ps3's blu-ray drive crashed twice on me, which resulted in me taking it to best buy to exchange for a slim and receive store credit to boot! Hope you have a warranty or service plan to take care of that. Or, you could always spend the 150 plus tax to get it fixed by Sony. That's about all I can suggest.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God." John 1:1

Current playing: WWE '13 and Borderlands (yes still playing the first one)
    Up Next: Who the heck knows? I'm busy!

PRO Member

Same thing happened to me a few days ago, luckily it was just in warranty and i got a refurbished playstation off SONY.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Maybe you can get it fixed with a disk cleaner?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Use google. But my ps3fat did this a few years ago. There's plenty of guides telling you multiple steps to try, the biggest thing is if you put the disc in, in the upper right hand corner, does the wheel just spin? Then it's a bad lens, not reading. I bought a replacement on ebay for $40(?) and fixed it myself, a lot easier/cheaper than any other method. Not the entire drive, just the lens piece.

Lvl 9 - Gold

replace it yourself for $35-40 from ebay.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 3 - Bronze

hi guys yer replaying the drive sounds best but id like it know if it could have gotten poped off its track from a havey drop ? it just about loads then makes a big clicking sound and try to eject but dosent untill you press the buttion then it pops the disk out its very strange..