PS 3 connectivity issues

This is a discussion on PS 3 connectivity issues within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi people, I'm hoping someone here can help me, since none of the suggestions found using google work. A little ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

PS 3 connectivity issues

Hi people, I'm hoping someone here can help me, since none of the suggestions found using google work. A little info on the problem....

I'm trying to download an update for a game (GT5) and it's 1192 mb in size, but can't download it cuz I keep getting disconnected. This is a reoccuring problem. Ever since I got my ps 3 (slim model, 250 gig I believe) I've had to deal with insanely slow internet speeds (downloading a 40 mb update takes approx. 25-30 minutes). I have a 30 mbit connection, and download speeds on my pc work fine (3,6 mb/s down; 2,8 mb/s up, and is wireless). PS 3 is wireless aswell, through a cable isn't an option, the modem/router (router integrated in the modem) is too far away.

Before I started to mess around with it tonight it still downloaded a bit on PS 3 (despite the disconnects while downloading), but now it won't really work at all anymore. It won't connect to my PSN account, just keeps loading (even though it passes the internet test), even after undoing all the changes I made in both the router and PS 3 settings, including "rebooting" all the devices involved. So really at whit's end here, and in hopes of a solution by you fine people.

Lastly, here's a list of the things I've tried so far (and proved unsuccesful) In most cases also turned router + ps 3 off and on again:
    * changed automatic installation to manual; using static IP / DNS servers provided by my provider.
    * using static IP on PS 3 tried Port Forwarding (with UPnP off & on )
    * using static IP on PS 3 tried DMZ host (with UPnP off & on)
    * using automatic IP on PS 3 tried manual DNS (open DNS servers)
    * using everything automatic (the way I had it set up) / "easy" setup option.
    * made DNS 1 match router address

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm really not a technician but maybe you can try downloading stuff on your PS3 on the internet of someone else? That maybe will be clearer of what's really the problem. Is it your PS3 or is it your router? Maybe if you do that things will get solved. If your PS3 is downloading 'normal' with a friend it's your internetconnetion/router. If else there's something wrong with your PS3 what i really would not know. But in that case you can maybe get another PS3.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

It's definately my PS 3, I got tired of trying to download and making wireless work, so I carried my tv downstairs and hooked it up to the router/modem using a cable and it shot up to 25 mbit. The 1192 mb took like 5 minutes or so. Now I'm without internet wireless but since it wasn't really working to begin with I guess it's not reallly a loss (even though it's still pretty lame). Just kinda pissed off atm about the whole thing lol.

Thanks for your reply though !

Btw, does anyone know..... I'm using a wireless reciever on my pc to get the wireless, but PS 3 has a built-in wireless reciever. I have a spare reciever like the one I'm using for my pc. Would it work if I hooked it up to my ps 3? (don't wanna incedently mess up my ps 3 so just wanna make sure beforehand)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I dont know about using a USB receiver but I know that if you buy the wireless 'bridge' setups from some gamestores, they work. Pretty much what it is is two dedicated stations: one that is hooked to the router and the other is hooked to your system. Roommate has it hooked up in the apartment cause he doesnt trust my wireless even though my consoles are on it and so is his laptop.
    Just because I'm a lazy person: All gaming info is here -> GrimmLAN13

The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble
    I like my coffee black
    Just like my metal

Mindless Self Indulgence

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'll try that for sure if it's available in Holland. Thanks for the tip !

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Perhaps you should try powerline networking:

HowStuffWorks "How Power-line Networking Works"