Disc wont work!

This is a discussion on Disc wont work! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So, just some minutes ago I was about to play some MW2..I had some nostalgia, so I put the disc ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Disc wont work!

So, just some minutes ago I was about to play some MW2..I had some nostalgia, so I put the disc on and it loads perfectly. The Infinity Ward logo shows up, than the warning message, and right after that the game crashes, and I get back to the XMB. I just tried MW3 and UC3 and they work perfectly...so is the disc broken or something ??

Lvl 9 - Gold

Have you tried it more than the one time? Are there any visible cracks in the disc? Are there really nasty smudges on the disc you can try cleaning off? Is this the first time you've had the system self-reboot on you?
    Try some basic trouble-shooting before you do anything drastic.
    Or, if you have the money, maybe try picking up a used copy of the game at a store with a return policy and see if it works. If it does, then your copy went bad somehow. Put your disc in the case and return it, telling them it doesn't work, and you're going to go somewhere else. Best if they only have the one used copy.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yes, I tried a dozen of times, and there are no cracks, no smudges and no scratch..it's perfect. It doesn't really self-reboot. Just kills the game and returns to the XMB without restarting. Never had these problems. It's a PS3 Slim 120GB. And where I live there are no used game retailers.. :/

Lvl 9 - Gold

Maybe, just maybe, the game data on your HDD got corrupted somehow. You could try deleting the game data and putting the disc in again. If it has any kind of harddrive install, it'll have to redo it at this point, and it might fix whatever is going on. Other than that, I can't think of anything that would cause this to happen.
    Hope you can get it worked out.