How to come a ps3 games tester?

This is a discussion on How to come a ps3 games tester? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi, let me start with an apology because I know this is prob. the wrong place for this question, but ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

How to come a ps3 games tester?

Hi, let me start with an apology because I know this is prob. the wrong place for this question, but don't know where else to put it. Like many people I have the ambition of becoming a games tester for a gaming company. I would like to know if amongst the huge array of gamers on this site if any are games testers and if so if they could give advice on how you standout to a company for a position most gamers would love to have. Unless you are at the top end of a site like this or the top of a leaderboard how to you demonstrate how skilled you are to a company. I don't know how well I rate as a gamer, but as I only started collecting trophies at the end of last year I am clearly never gonna get past a certain point on a site like this. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Again sorry if I have offended anyone by putting this question in this part of the forums.

Resident PHD

Just so you know a tester isn't someone who just comes in and plays all the latest games. It is hours upon hours of work playing any game that is put in front of you and trying to make it break so you can start over and play it again. You can wait for the Tester Season 4 to start and apply there or go to the companies website and see if there is any openings.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Just so you know a tester isn't someone who just comes in and plays all the latest games. It is hours upon hours of work playing any game that is put in front of you and trying to make it break so you can start over and play it again. You can wait for the Tester Season 4 to start and apply there or go to the companies website and see if there is any openings.

Bwahahaha. Thats awesome.

Anyway, mayus pretty much summed it up, go on the tester or apply to a company. I wanted to be one before I realized how much work it takes.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Honestly I am fully aware of the work involved and would relish it. Thanks for the reply could either of you kindly give me a link to the tester, many thanks.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumPrinceRH View Post
    Honestly I am fully aware of the work involved and would relish it. Thanks for the reply could either of you kindly give me a link to the tester, many thanks.

I just saw that you have 2 of the same threads? why?

also if your aware of what you have to do then y did you ask and start this thread

Sig by Apokolypz

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    I just saw that you have 2 of the same threads? why?

also if your aware of what you have to do then y did you ask and start this thread
    He is aware of the work involved, not how to become a tester.
    As for the link to the tester, I can only find episodes, not anywhere to actually apply.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumPrinceRH View Post
    You should just do some searching for Game Development companies and browse their sites for career opportunities. They will have either a specific section for applying or a general Contact Us section. Couple things to note...

• It's like any other job you apply for so you will need documented education and experience.
    • A degree in Video Game Development, video game programming, or at least 3D animation/design or something similar
    • You will have to relocate to wherever you get a position... these jobs are not typically work-at-home as so may seem to assume

As i'm sure many others have done, I too have had the inclination that being a Video Game Tester would be a dream job.... who wouldn't want to get paid to play video games all day long?!? It's going to be a job, much like any other, where you will have responsibilities, deadlines, reports, etc... My advice to you is simply do some research on the requirements and start engaging in communication with Development Companies. Good luck!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks for all the replies, very much appreciated.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I am a professional tester and although I don't test games, but business applications, I can probably provide some advice.

Become familiar with testing concepts so you can answer any testing related questions in any applications or interviews. Perhaps the most recognized testing body in the world is ISTQB. Study their curriculum which you can get for free at: Foundation Syllabus - ISTQB -*ISTQB (Foundation)

This may give you the edge over other candidates, but nothing trumps experience so get into some beta testing whenever you get the chance, and prove you're worth hiring!

Hope this helps a bit.

Edit: Some experience with scripting languages won't go astray either. Knowledge of Lua, Python and Javascript for example will help a great deal.
    Last edited by ChrisOi; 02-22-2012 at 03:42 AM.

Stacking - Machinarium - Hell Yeah - Cuboid - Critter Crunch - Thomas Was Alone - Contrast

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks for the help ChrisOi and the link, I am very grateful