Lucky escape

This is a discussion on Lucky escape within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My fatty 60GB got the YLOD last week - three days after I got the plat on Skyrim. I was ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Lucky escape

My fatty 60GB got the YLOD last week - three days after I got the plat on Skyrim. I was 168 hours in when I got the trophy, and realise I could have lost the saves if it had happened a couple of days earlier.

I've got a new slim now, but have no idea if I can rescue the save data from the old console. The console won't start. I've heard about the hairdryer trick, but didn't want to try it until I know how to rescue the data. I really want to get the data back, not to mention the LBP2 disk that is currently stuck in there!

Any help / advice woud be greatfully recieved!

Change is mediocre

I did the hairdryer trick, and put my saves on a usb stick. My 80gb still works today after about 3 months.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Fix it the 'proper' way (diy) with a heat gun if you care about it at all, it should last at least 6 months. If you don't give a crap about the old console, give a hairdryer a go sure... You will be able to get your save data.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Wouldn't mind salvaging the old console - the new slim just doesn't feel as nice. Looks cheaper, the buttons aren't as nice. Know it's actually a better machine, just doesn't FEEL like it!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Wow, very lucky indeed!! I too still have my 60 gb and i hope it will last for a long time...
    But still now i back up everything on PS+
    Just in case...