Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Jennifer Helper (Bioware Writer) Vs the Internet

This is a discussion on Jennifer Helper (Bioware Writer) Vs the Internet within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Ps360 thats touching sacred before-bioware-went-to-shit ground there. guessing you'll hate planescape torment, the ultimate RPG. Been there, ...

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    thats touching sacred before-bioware-went-to-shit ground there.

guessing you'll hate planescape torment, the ultimate RPG.
    Been there, done that, loved it, along with every other Black Isle game. Still have all discs in fresh minty condition.

Doesn't change the fact that boring dialogue is boring.

INTJ

fun fact black isle turned into obsidian entertainment

they made the best modern fallout game and DLC (new vegas, Old world blues), one of my favorite rpg's alpha protocol, and are now making the new south park rpg.

infact black isle is the company that made fallout 1 and 2, so them making new vegas was awesome and actually felt like a fallout game.

you know, compared to the fallout 3 vomiting of storyline (THE ENCLAVE MOVED ALL THE WAY OVER TO THE DC FROM CALIFORNIA BECAUSE FUCK LOGIC) and the best boss battle of all time

Vault 11 in New vegas had way more better writing than anything bethdesta did with fallout 3.
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-21-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Legend...Nuff Said

fun fact black isle turned into obsidian entertainment

they made the best modern fallout game and DLC (new vegas, Old world blues), one of my favorite rpg's alpha protocol, and are now making the new south park rpg.

infact black isle is the company that made fallout 1 and 2, so them making new vegas was awesome and actually felt like a fallout game.

you know, compared to the fallout 3 vomiting of storyline (THE ENCLAVE MOVED ALL THE WAY OVER TO THE DC FROM CALIFORNIA BECAUSE FUCK LOGIC) and the best boss battle of all time

Vault 11 in New vegas had way more better writing than anything bethdesta did with fallout 3.
    So your a fan of Dungeon Siege 3 because its also made from Obsidian.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

PRO Member

Classic internet over-reaction, and no PS360... Hepler doesn't deserve any of this.

I don't think she is a particularly talented writer... Heck I've made no secret I thought Dragon Age 2 was a huge fucking joke, but that doesn't seem to stop anything else in gaming. Just look at what Bungie has shat out with the Master Chief trilogy.

A handful of huge sci-fi stereotypes, one poorly handled Jesus metaphor, and a single interesting character (Cortana) across 3 games.

You suck off the Halo games like there is no tomorrow but you are really going to get in people's faces about Dragon Age? You really going to defend 4chan on this one? They linked alot of her responses, but she was getting some equally evil things thrown at her (perhaps worse).

I don't know, sometimes I think I have too many brain-cells to function on the same plane of existence as some people who frequent the internet, but nobody DESERVES what she got. If you don't like something, the producers of that content don't deserve to be attacked personally. Particularly when you consider that nothing is truly universally liked, effectively meaning you are encouraging that every artist/writer/designer/etc be permitted to be personally attacked when they produce something.

Meanwhile we BOTH know that you get butthurt when people make Gabe Newell fat-jokes... We BOTH know you got bent out of shape when he was attacked during the L4D2 fiasco. Why is that wrong? According to you if someone produces something you don't like its ok to personally attack them.

Most of the time this backfires anyway, you wanna know what 4chan probably accomplished in this campaign? Getting her the next job, because 4chan is gonna bring alot of attention to whatever she works on next.

Lastly, why are you bringing up ME? ME3 will be the first piece of ME fiction (other than the comics) where Drew Karpyshyn isn't lead writer. Hepler had nothing to do with any of the creative direction in any ME.

I also like how you seem to have so much disdain for the series now, meanwhile when it was a 360 exclusive you were pinning it in "GOTY"-type talks and saying PS3ers should be jealous.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I find it ironic that all the little acne covered trolls that were likely beaten down in highschool have taken to the basements of the world to invoke revenge against society by taking out their angst on other acne covered trolls. Why exactly do people think that abuse is ok as long as you do it in written language and not with force? Nobody has the right to mentally abuse someone else. Would you shoot somebody because they dropped your groceries while packing them for you?

The world would be a much better place if we all took an extra 5 minutes to shit everyday before we let our mouths or fingers do it for us.

Quartercircle Forward.

In all honesty, I really love the character design in Dragon Age 2 (and in all Bioware games at that). The story; yeah I must admit, it wasn't THE best, could have been MUCH better. DA: O was far more superior in that aspect.

Regarding designers and producers cussing at their customers... yeah... that is SUPER unprofessional. Reminds me of that guy who was selling some special joypads or whatever and started spewing shit about how he doesnt give a fuck about one customer, I think he went bankrupt real fast.

On the other hand, as Gauss mentioned, I really don't agree with personally attacking the writer. They are calling her fat and ugly. Hell, probably half of the people attacking her via the internet are fat and ugly. Internet drama is probably the worst kind of drama.

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Meanwhile we BOTH know that you get butthurt when people make Gabe Newell fat-jokes... We BOTH know you got bent out of shape when he was attacked during the L4D2 fiasco. Why is that wrong? According to you if someone produces something you don't like its ok to personally attack them.
    actually i couldn't give a fuck about fat jokes really, i was just joking about how it delays ep3. only reason i get annoyed by them now is that they have gotten very stale.

also anyone can see the l4d2 fiasco was pure overreaction from the valve community.

I also like how you seem to have so much disdain for the series now, meanwhile when it was a 360 exclusive you were pinning it in "GOTY"-type talks and saying PS3ers should be jealous.

i don't have disdain for the series, i just hate the changes they made with the new one (multiplayer, More Difficulty consolization to appease the call of duty masses/People who are terrible at games, etc.)

also i seriously don't remember saying ps3 owners should be jealous. I can't think of a single time where i have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    So your a fan of Dungeon Siege 3 because its also made from Obsidian.
    I don't play those types of games so i have no idea.
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.

PRO Member

actually i couldn't give a fuck about fat jokes really, i was just joking about how it delays ep3. only reason i get annoyed by them now is that they have gotten very stale.
    Then why say something everytime someone makes one? Atleast everytime they are brought up in Valve-related threads there is a passing comment by you about them being stupid.

I'm not saying they are great, I am saying you clearly say Hepler deserves what she is getting, yet you come to the defense of Gabe Newell when someone calls him a porker.

Newell has been apart of his fair share of drama and PR fiascos, regardless of how you think he's handled them... You aren't controlling people's opinions here. As such its beyond hypocritical to say Hepler deserves open personal attacks, but Newell is untouchable.

Now the reality is personal attacks are a bit like harassment in that there is some subjectivity here (although I think calling someone fat/ugly/etc is pretty universal... Like asking a female co-worker to take her top off, there is no "maybe" about that), but the core of it is very simple, either its ok unilaterally to personally attack everybody, or its not ok to personally attack anybody.

I am in the latter camp... You wanna say she writes garbage? No prob, heck I even agree. You wanna say she doesn't deserve to be a paid writer anymore cause she ruins the games she works on? Again, no complaints from me here. You wanna say she handles her stories in a very moronic/preachy manner or her stories aren't intelligent? I'm good on that one.

Those are all criticisms of her work though, and ultimately necessary as constructive criticism is really the foundation of evolution and growth.

I stop being good when a bunch of people start calling her fat and ugly though, as that brings nothing to the argument. Shit like this reminds me about Roddy White's recent PR fiasco when he criticized how much Roger Goodell made (then went on to say some really idiotic things about the NFL being non-profit and making profit), and I feel the same thing about this. There are certain lines that its just wrong to cross.

also anyone can see the l4d2 fiasco was pure overreaction from the valve community.
    Yup, just like this is. I'm not saying you are wrong to classify it as over-reacting, I am saying all of it is over-reaction. This, the L4D2 reaction, the reaction to Origin, the reaction to the Elder Scroll's lawsuit, etc, etc.

Its all the equivalent of "OH MY GOD! I walked by you after you farted, I am going to fucking punch you in the face 6 times!"

i don't have disdain for the series, i just hate the changes they made with the new one (multiplayer, More Difficulty consolization to appease the call of duty masses/People who are terrible at games, etc.)
    You mean the one you haven't played yet? Seeing as it went gold just a week ago.

The difficulty also hasn't changed across the whole series, I've played all of them... ME1's highest difficulty and ME2's highest difficulty are pretty much the same in regards to overall difficulty. ME2 may actually be harder since the scaling if you do NG+ makes the monsters scale to your pre-reset capabilities (meaning the entire first half of the game can be mind-numbingly difficult).

Also, for someone who claims thats your problem, you seem to also complain about the story and characters alot. Or are you really going to start telling me that writing has something to do with consolization?

also i seriously don't remember saying ps3 owners should be jealous. I can't think of a single time where i have.
    Thanks to zero-hour the thread doesn't exist anymore, but you posted a thread explaining why ME2 was never going to come to the PS3. Was in your OP in that thread, I replied by comparing the Normandy blowing up in the intro of ME2 to the various Zelda disasters that have happened in recent LoZs as a way of "zeroing out" the impact of the previous title for newcomers.

In other words how every ME sequel/spin-off will be written in such a way that it never requires the previous title to understand anything, as that will create a situation of having a true 'market cap.'

Hopefully this is ringing a bell...
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

You mean the one you haven't played yet? Seeing as it went gold just a week ago.

The difficulty also hasn't changed across the whole series, I've played all of them... ME1's highest difficulty and ME2's highest difficulty are pretty much the same in regards to overall difficulty. ME2 may actually be harder since the scaling if you do NG+ makes the monsters scale to your pre-reset capabilities (meaning the entire first half of the game can be mind-numbingly difficult).

Also, for someone who claims thats your problem, you seem to also complain about the story and characters alot. Or are you really going to start telling me that writing has something to do with consolization?

Thanks to zero-hour the thread doesn't exist anymore, but you posted a thread explaining why ME2 was never going to come to the PS3. Was in your OP in that thread, I replied by comparing the Normandy blowing up in the intro of ME2 to the various Zelda disasters that have happened in recent LoZs as a way of "zeroing out" the impact of the previous title for newcomers.

In other words how every ME sequel/spin-off will be written in such a way that it never requires the previous title to understand anything, as that will create a situation of having a true 'market cap.'

Hopefully this is ringing a bell...

1. The demo came out with 3 Difficutlies, Call of duty mode (aka combat mode), Terrible at games mode (Story mode), and Actual gamer mode (RPG mode).

If the game is great then me worrying about mass effect due to Multiplayer and online pass bullshit will all be in vain, but i have serious doubts for the series due to that stuff and the recent attempts of storymaking gone wrong (DA2, Star wars)

Also i still seriously don't remember, sorry.

And Gabe fat jokes don't bother me, i don't think negative at them because it's a common joke they can make about him. Too bad he's already dieting and stuff to lose all that weight and is lookin awesome due to it.

INTJ

4chan forces bioware to donate $1,000 To a Anti-bullying program in canada

BioWare issues statement in support of Jennifer Hepler -Destructoid

"Jennifer is a valued, talented employee who has been with BioWare for many years and we hope will be with us for many more," reads the statement. "It is awful that a few people have decided to make her a target for hate and threats, going so far as fabricating forum posts and attributing them to her, and singling her out for projects to which she has not contributed (i.e., Jennifer is not even a part of the Mass Effect writing team). All of us at BioWare support and will continue to support Jennifer fully, and are happy to see so many people out there are also supporting her during this difficult time."

In addition, BioWare has donated $1,000 to Bullying Canada in Jennifer's name.
    how is 4chan a bad group again? they made a game company donate money for the greater good.

along with

Helper getting told.
    Her hopefully realising how shit her writing is.
    Reddit getting blamed.
    Bioware's PR guy looking bad.

Kiwi Defender

Lastly, why are you bringing up ME? ME3 will be the first piece of ME fiction (other than the comics) where Drew Karpyshyn isn't lead writer. Hepler had nothing to do with any of the creative direction in any ME.
    Actually, it wasn't Ps360 who brought it up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Yeah she is bad, but so are a lot of game writers (and journalists, novelist, screenwriters etc.) I just don't get the hate towards her in particular. I found ME2 to have a very "ehh" story and it was nothing to cream myself over. If I want to get excited over dialog I will watch a Preston Sturges' film. The problem is in gaming there are very few stories that aren't complete drivel so when one comes around that is decent, fans jump all over it saying it is the best thing ever.
    It was herr doctor.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Those attacks are sick and messed up. Critisim is alright yet doing attacks like those aren't. PS360 siding with the attackers. What if the shoes on the other foot. Your hatred of Bioware is clouding your judgement even siding with people doing that. So let me ask this again you belive in personal attacking people all the time?
    Lord Fenton
    Gaming since the days of Kings Quest 3

Working On: Dungeon Defenders and Batman:AC(PS3) and Borderlands (PC Steam) til I start round 2 of my BG:EE good guy this time.
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GrimFenton

Legend...Nuff Said

1. The demo came out with 3 Difficutlies, Call of duty mode (aka combat mode), Terrible at games mode (Story mode), and Actual gamer mode (RPG mode).
    Thank you for insulting everyone who wants to play the game and enjoy the story. Clap Clap Clap
    Why do you care so much if the game has more difficulty options? If you want the game to be insanely hard you could just put the game on hard. How does having options become a bad thing to have in a game? Some people like action, some people like story.
    Its an RPG so I would think people would play it for the story, so a 'story mode' makes sense. In the case of this game, where the combat is all real time, 3rd-person, an action mode makes sense for those that aren't big into story, or, have played the game already and just want to skip the story as quick as possible for the action.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

INTJ

http://i.imgur.com/KYnSe.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    Thank you for insulting everyone who wants to play the game and enjoy the story. Clap Clap Clap
    Why do you care so much if the game has more difficulty options? If you want the game to be insanely hard you could just put the game on hard. How does having options become a bad thing to have in a game? Some people like action, some people like story.
    because making difficulty options like this ruins the feel of the game.

Mass effect is supposed to be story driven yet challenging, Not a fucking book or a TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by LordFenton View Post
    Those attacks are sick and messed up. Critisim is alright yet doing attacks like those aren't. PS360 siding with the attackers. What if the shoes on the other foot. Your hatred of Bioware is clouding your judgement even siding with people doing that. So let me ask this again you belive in personal attacking people all the time?

it is criticism, Just hardcore criticism.

these people massively dislike her work and want to let her know. You can take it as attacking if you want but these people are genuinely pissed off about what she is doing.

She is ruining the foundation of gaming with her terrible ideas. sure the name calling gets a little too bad but wouldn't you guys do the same thing to stephanie meyer if you had the chance? Or what about Bobby Kotick?

she's basically the stephanie meyer of video games. She Insulted good Writers calling them "Old White men with beards", thinks that just because she's female and got a game industry job she's the hottest shit ever, and ruins good games with terrible romances. she deserves all the "attacking" she gets. There's no sexism involved in this either like all the people on her side have been claiming.
    Last edited by Ps360; 02-21-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Resident PHD

I think Bioware should hire Shigesato Itoi to do a game (because Nintendo isn't using him ) Who he is, why he is the creator of the Mother series. I would love to see a new game come from his creative mind.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

INTJ

I think Bioware should hire Shigesato Itoi to do a game (because Nintendo isn't using him ) Who he is, why he is the creator of the Mother series. I would love to see a new game come from his creative mind.
    itoi writes books/music lyrics. he also voice acts.

Resident PHD

itoi writes books/music lyrics. he also voice acts.
    Yup, I also found out he was a judge on several Iron Chef competitions.

Kiwi Defender

Yup, I also found out he was a judge on several Iron Chef competitions.
    Why the hell was he a judge on a cooking competition?

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Because they always get celebrity judges to be on the show. He is just that

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    he's basically a Stephen King or Chris nolan of japan

aint a suprise.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast