Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unacceptable: Mass Effect 3 Strips Core Content for Paid DLC

This is a discussion on Unacceptable: Mass Effect 3 Strips Core Content for Paid DLC within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Unacceptable: Mass Effect 3 Strips Core Content for Paid DLC Previously in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, the only ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Previously in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, the only in-game content associated with the Collector's Editions were additional armor and weaponry. As I mentioned earlier, content as large as the DLCs including Zaeed and Shale were always included free of charge. Dragon Age 2 went a small step further, by restricting The Exiled Prince DLC to "Signature" copies of the game, which all pre-orders were upgraded to.

This has changed.

With Mass Effect 3, we now have to pay for content that's been developed concurrently with the rest of the game, but released separately for extra profit—and to make the Collector's Edition look more attractive to buyers.

It's understandable for DLC to be released separately and sold for an additional cost when they're developed as extensions to a pre-existing game or as 'added value items' impertinent to the core experience. However, it's unacceptable for core elements (in my very subjective opinion, this content has been vital in the past) of the game to be stripped out of the main game just so they can be sold separately for an extra price.

To draw an analogy, it's like selling a watch with one hand missing.
    From what I'm gathering around, this content used to be part of the game, now it was "stripped" away as a DLC for "extra profit. Also, this content adds up to the story.

My question is, whats up with DLC's now a days? Day 1 DLC? wtf? Shouldn't the content been on the game already? Why is there multiple versions of the same damn game? Bethesda is releasing another 2 games in 1 package, and one of the games is Oblivion? I mean Oblivion was released MULTIPLE times already, whats up with the milking?

ps: I haven't played any ME games YET, due to wanting to play ME1 but can't because I dont have a 360. I brought this up to question why gamers are being ripped off.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Day 1 DLC for the money. Yes, the content should already be included in the game, but they want more money of course.

Multiple copies: more money. Usually they add some extras like Game of the Year editions.

They want more money. Best example is Capcom, there are plenty of others too, but Capcom is the biggest when it comes to DLC and such.
    Disc-locked DLC. DLC Cheat Codes. etc etc.
    Super Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Ultimate MvC3, Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, etc etc.

Pretty much everything is for the money. I don't see that much of a problem with the developers wanting more money, but since they want to rip me off, I don't even buy their games at all lol. I have only bought one Capcom game in my life, it was MvC3, I felt pretty stupid for buying it too. Never again... never again.

Legend...Nuff Said

I'm glad I live in Korea for this. I can't even get the DLC because of the PSN region locking, so this just gives me an incentive to wait the year and get the complete edition.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

And? Correct me if I'm wrong but they did the same exact thing for Dragon Age II with "The Exiled Prince" DLC. I think you got it if you pre ordered the signature edition but the people that didn't had to pay the $9.99 (I think) for it. Either way, my opinion of Bioware has not changed. They are part of an amazing company that makes damn good games. While I would rather they include it I won't bitch if they don't.

As for what Bethesda is doing with the Fallout 3 and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion combo pack I think it's partially them trying to make money off any DLC that was released and partially to boost game sales of Fallout: New Vegas and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Bullshit.... Makes me glad there are some decent developers out there like R*.

Game on....

I think DLC has got to the point of no return. If it wasn't for achievements and trophies, DLC wouldn't be selling as much as it does now. I don't have a problem with DLC that is actually added way after a games release and isn't already on the game disc. But i do have a problem with DLC that is unlocked by DLC on the game disc and the issue that is mentioned by this thread.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_Mans View Post
    Bullshit.... Makes me glad there are some decent developers out there like R*.
    Rockstar games also come with three or four expansion packs so how are they any different than Bioware? Sure Bioware games comes with a lot of useless DLC day one like certain weapons etc, but you don't have to buy it.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

What did you expect? This is what happens when franchises become popular. I don't see anyone moaning about Naughty Dog and their god awful DLC for Uncharted 3.

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    Rockstar games also come with three or four expansion packs so how are they any different than Bioware? Sure Bioware games comes with a lot of useless DLC day one like certain weapons etc, but you don't have to buy it.
    The difference here is, that:
    1. Rockstar games doesn't have DLC, that are on the disc, and then gets unlocked.
    2. Rockstar games limited edition and day 1 DLC (Which I'm not sure they ever had), contains minor stuff ingame, such as weapons and clothes and stuff. The rest is things like soundtrack.
    3. Rockstar games doesn't sell DLC, that has major significance to the story.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 6 - Silver

This is bullshit, as is most forms of paid DLC... But this doesn't seem much different to Capcom and the Resident Evil 5 that had the DLC for the gold edition ON the disc at release... which was only found out when the ps3 was hacked if I'm not mistaken? Fucking disgusting quite frankly. What happened to the days of games when today's 'dlc' was just material within the fucking game that you'd paid for?
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by M40A3 View Post
    My question is, whats up with DLC's now a days? Day 1 DLC? wtf? Shouldn't the content been on the game already?
    Day-1 DLC that isn't something like a skin or weapon is always for money. Story-related DLC should never be allowed to be day-1, but it seems like that's something that's not going to go away. As far as different versions, I see no problem with having a 'Game of the Year' edition that gets released later on with all DLC. If you can wait it out, you deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by XxHuskiesMoonxX View Post
    And? Correct me if I'm wrong but they did the same exact thing for Dragon Age II with "The Exiled Prince" DLC. I think you got it if you pre ordered the signature edition but the people that didn't had to pay the $9.99 (I think) for it. Either way, my opinion of Bioware has not changed. They are part of an amazing company that makes damn good games. While I would rather they include it I won't bitch if they don't.
    It's one thing to say that they make great games, which they do, but having day-1 story-related DLC is a complete rip-off...nothing more. I'm almost tempted to cancel my pre-order, but I love ME so much, I can't wait to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I think DLC has got to the point of no return. If it wasn't for achievements and trophies, DLC wouldn't be selling as much as it does now. I don't have a problem with DLC that is actually added way after a games release and isn't already on the game disc. But i do have a problem with DLC that is unlocked by DLC on the game disc and the issue that is mentioned by this thread.
    I typically only get DLC's for games I enjoy, and I agree trophies to play a factor, for me at least. For example, I liked Portal 2, but I didn't bother with the DLC they released since it didn't have trophy support.

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    The difference here is, that:
    1. Rockstar games doesn't have DLC, that are on the disc, and then gets unlocked.
    2. Rockstar games limited edition and day 1 DLC (Which I'm not sure they ever had), contains minor stuff ingame, such as weapons and clothes and stuff. The rest is things like soundtrack.
    3. Rockstar games doesn't sell DLC, that has major significance to the story.
    ^^ Pretty much, this.

The Old Guy

I have no problem with this (then again, I'm getting the collector's edition, so I'll get it anyway). When Star Wars TFU II came out with DLC a couple of weeks after it came out, I was enraged. Why? BECAUSE THE GAME WAS 5 HOURS LONG.

By all accounts, ME3 is going to be quite a bit longer than ME2, which was already a huge game, so I don't feel like I'm getting screwed out of anything with my initial investment in the game, even if they do have paid DLC from the beginning. Also keep in mind that we got a whole crapload of "DLC" for free with our PS3 versions of ME2 (albeit almost a year later).

PRO Member

As I've always said, the DLC game is a very simple one to dance. Anything developed during the initial development (i.e. before the game goes gold) should be included to the purchaser for no charge.

I understand if you wanna do the online pass bullshit, that's ethical. No different than a company disallowing warranties from being transferred... I don't necessarily like it, but I there aren't ethical quandaries there.

I understand if you want to plan DLC. Its not uncommon for there to be more ideas that time/budget allow for during development, at a certain point you have to focus down and actually finish the fucking game. I understand taking some of the good ideas that didn't make it and saying "That'll be DLC, we'll do that later"

Critical part is that its done later. That "being ok" stops the moment something is developed during the initial development process that you intend to release as ancillary content. That is wrong because we, as consumers, are providing you money to offset the costs of the entire development process, shifting extra content to the development process its both dishonest in the sense that the consumer is paying for things we aren't getting (and resources are being unnecessarily diverted) and deceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Creditdue View Post
    What did you expect? This is what happens when franchises become popular. I don't see anyone moaning about Naughty Dog and their god awful DLC for Uncharted 3.
    1) Wasn't available at launch

2) Was only confirmed it was coming out, wasn't developed concurrently.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post

1) Wasn't available at launch

2) Was only confirmed it was coming out, wasn't developed concurrently.
    Available at launch or not the DLC for UC3 is disgusting. Far worse than what's going on with Mass Effect 3. Uncharted 3 DLC is the exact same as it was for Uncharted 2. If Naughty Dog aren't a prime example of how to treat your customers like twats then I don't know what is.

Having said that, DLC in general is increasingly becoming a complete joke.

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Indie Game Developer

What Gauss said, PLUS they've added a significant amount to the online multiplayer. They added so many awesome maps from Uncharted 2 that have been redone (and look awesome), they've added more co-op campaign, and now they've announced even more co-op modes. I paid $25 on day one, mainly just because I love Naughty Dog, but I think it has totally been worth it. Plus, it's not like there was an in game mission or gun that they made you buy on day 1.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

No big news, it's routine for a lot of developers now. That's why I wait for some kind of "Ultimate/Complete/Babadum Edition" for a lot of games :stare:

Playing: Street Fighter x Tekken
    Boosting: Bulletstorm
    -Feel free to send me a friend request for online gaming or boosting, I delete blank requests.-

Lvl 4 - Silver

Look at GTA IV for example, both DLC are unique... Same for Undead Nightmare for RDR as well as the 2 free DLC's (cheats and mavericks, outlaws to the end), I never tried the others though.

Lvl 6 - Silver

If asked, I'm sure game developers would float the argument that the alternative is paying significantly higher prices for games when they're first released. Let's be honest: while there has been some inflation in what it costs to buy a new game, it isn't a particularly egregious amount as compared to what one paid for a brand new game (at release) many moons ago. At the same time, I'm sure development costs have continued to increase, particularly if you compare games now (graphics, gaming engines, et cetera) to games of a generation or two ago. When one adds in that there has been substantial inflation in the "real world", there comes a point where something has to give.

I'm not saying that this is right. I'm not saying that I agree with it. But what's the alternative? Gaming companies aren't going to sell products at a loss just to keep customers happy -- do that for very long and there's no more gaming company (and no more games). I imagine there'd be a massive media-driven outcry if games jumped from $60 to $80-$100 to offset all the factors I listed in the previous paragraph.

The solution is simple: if you don't like Day One paid DLC, don't buy it. If enough people followed suit, the publishers would back down.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

NSFW

Available at launch or not the DLC for UC3 is disgusting. Far worse than what's going on with Mass Effect 3. Uncharted 3 DLC is the exact same as it was for Uncharted 2. If Naughty Dog aren't a prime example of how to treat your customers like twats then I don't know what is.

Having said that, DLC in general is increasingly becoming a complete joke.
    The problem, that this discussion is about, isn't the quality of DLC (because that's another story). This is about what and what not should be added on the disc, then a game releases, and how Bioware kinda is taking a big dumb on the fans, since they exclude content, that they've just taken away from the game, to earn an extra buck.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Resident PHD

Once again the best way to send a message is to not buy the game. Don't just not buy the DLC but actually go out and cancel your preorder.

As long as people keep buying the product no developer will change, they don't really care if you bitch about it later.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast