How do you know if your ps3 is on its way out...?

This is a discussion on How do you know if your ps3 is on its way out...? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi guys, My PS3 phatty 60gb has recently been giving me a few problems as some of my posts have ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

How do you know if your ps3 is on its way out...?

Hi guys,
    My PS3 phatty 60gb has recently been giving me a few problems as some of my posts have said. But I think it's gonna die soon. Recently I've been playing quite a lot more than I have done before due to only working part time atm. Anyway, the ps3's fan is going on overtime and being quite loud with it. This happens within about 10 minutes of playing anything, which it never used to do. The ps3 is in a well ventilated area relatively near to a window so the cooling shouldn't be a problem. I have cleaned (vaccumed the vents) the inside of the machine recently so don't think it's dust build up. Just wondering if this is a sign that my baby's 'bout to buy it...? :'(
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Local Drunk

Maybe it just wants a break from playing. How old is it?

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

WHO DAT!!!!

my 60GB died a painfull death due to the cooling fan going out and i think that happens alot with that model. trade it in to gamestop before it dies and get u a slim with no cooling issues

Lvl 1 - Bronze

If it's a 60GB it's pretty old and from my understanding, it's rare for it to have lasted this long. Consider yourself lucky. Answer to your question, it probably is going to go out soon, I'd say 6 months at most.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quick replies, cheers!
    Erm, atm i'm probs playing for like 4 or 5 hours at a time, and maybe a 2-3hour evening session if i get time so a fair bit lol
    I think it was a 60gb launch model (so what, 5,6 years?)
    And might have to try for the trade in, soon as i've backed it all up... am I likely to get a slim for a fatty? Assume I'll have to pay some difference though..
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    [

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Quick replies, cheers!
    Erm, atm i'm probs playing for like 4 or 5 hours at a time, and maybe a 2-3hour evening session if i get time so a fair bit lol
    I think it was a 60gb launch model (so what, 5,6 years?)
    And might have to try for the trade in, soon as i've backed it all up... am I likely to get a slim for a fatty? Assume I'll have to pay some difference though..
    Jeez it's getting on then. It's probably overheating, I'd sell it mate before it dies. Have no idea what you'd get for it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'll see what I can get then. Thanks guys
    [

Lvl 1 - Bronze

You'll probably get a slim if you want a brand new one. I heard they quit make the phats a long time ago.

Chuck Norris Approved.

My 60gig fatboy, started to get loud then just started to sound like a chopper taken off before it finally shit bricked. As stated it was well ventilated, cleaned on a regular time frame ect.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Local Drunk

I'll see what I can get then. Thanks guys
    Good luck mate.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I get nervous when ever I read threads like this, I have an 80 gig BC via emulation (not all games work) and I'm about to upgrade the HDD to 500gigs. I don't play nearly as much as I used to due to married life and now I have a 2 y/o so I'm usually on 2-3 hours a night and maybe an hour during the day while the lil guy naps.
    Money's tight right now so I'm curious how much of a difference the OP had to pay for the difference if they traded in their 60gig.
    I will miss the 4 controller ports SD card slot and BC if I do trade in for a slim
    [IMG][/IMG]

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'll let you know when I get some quotes mate
    Controller ports and card reader slots can be bought online so that's not a problem, and most of the classic ps2 games are released or probably going to be released as hd classics, so that aint a problem either tbf. I originally bought the 60gb because of the BC, but came to care for it less and less to be honest, especially since trophy hunting. If i had a spare couple of hundred I'd have bought a slim already, gotta say.
    [

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'll let you know when I get some quotes mate
    Controller ports and card reader slots can be bought online so that's not a problem, and most of the classic ps2 games are released or probably going to be released as hd classics, so that aint a problem either tbf. I originally bought the 60gb because of the BC, but came to care for it less and less to be honest, especially since trophy hunting. If i had a spare couple of hundred I'd have bought a slim already, gotta say.
    This is true, plus I still have my PS2 and PS1 if I felt like going old school...
    Thanks!
    [IMG][/IMG]

Change is mediocre

If you are sure your Ps3 is going to die soon, get a new one and transfer your data over to it to be safe.

Lvl 6 - Silver

So I bit the bullet and bought a new slim, I'm now broke lol. But hopefully I'll get a good return selling my phatty. I bought a slim 320gb :

Play.com - Buy Sony PlayStation 3 PS3 Slim Console Bundle With 320GB HDD + PlayStation Move: Starter Pack + Dance Star Party + Karate Kid (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Sounded like a good fucking bargain to me!
    Now I just need to borrow a HDD off a mate, and I'll be good
    [

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by overlooks View Post
    If it's a 60GB it's pretty old and from my understanding, it's rare for it to have lasted this long. Consider yourself lucky. Answer to your question, it probably is going to go out soon, I'd say 6 months at most.
    I wouldn't say rare or being lucky. Me too still have a 60 GB 'fatty' launch model. And it played quite some hours already..... Even left it on at nights for the races on GT5....
    I vacuum the vents every week, and once month a clean up....
    So i hope it will last me a long time even now.
    But i save everything via cloudserving since i'm PS + just in case. I have no real other games on my PS3.
    So if it would die or have YLOD, it's straight to the shop to get me a slim.

Legalize it...

I have an 80 gig fat from 09 and just now while playing Crazy Taxi it turned off and the red light was blinking. I turned it back on not thinking anything of it and it ran a file check, then it restarted itself and it seems to be ok now. Is this a sign its dying or what? Its never happened before and I just want to know now before its too late so I can sell it back to Best Buy and get a Slim if needed...

Edit: Thought Id add that it wasnt hot and it doesnt run loud or anything...