Quick question about saves

This is a discussion on Quick question about saves within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi guys, As said, I've bought a [imo,bargain] ps3 320gb slim, as i think my 60gb is dying. Anyway, I ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quick question about saves

Hi guys,
    As said, I've bought a [imo,bargain] ps3 320gb slim, as i think my 60gb is dying. Anyway, I am going to back up all the stuff on 60gb and transfer to new one. Just wondering, will I have any problems with things such as Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition, because I have heard that some games are protected etc. Does this mean that I will be able to simply copy it to a HDD and then slap it on the new one, and continue as if it was the same machine? Or will I need to restart over or whatever? I know the trophies carry over because of syncing so that's not a problem really. I don't know really which game saves are protected or not, but as long as I can back them up and restore them, it's obviously not an issue...
    Cheers
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Hi guys,
    As said, I've bought a [imo,bargain] ps3 320gb slim, as i think my 60gb is dying. Anyway, I am going to back up all the stuff on 60gb and transfer to new one. Just wondering, will I have any problems with things such as Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition, because I have heard that some games are protected etc. Does this mean that I will be able to simply copy it to a HDD and then slap it on the new one, and continue as if it was the same machine? Or will I need to restart over or whatever? I know the trophies carry over because of syncing so that's not a problem really. I don't know really which game saves are protected or not, but as long as I can back them up and restore them, it's obviously not an issue...
    Cheers
    When my ps3 did the ylod on me i was quite lucky as i managed to get an external hard drive and back everything up.However when it came to re installing on the new ps3,i lost so many game saves due to the fact that they were copy right protected.Wether this is true or not i dont know,maybe some one can clarify but i heard once you play a game on a ps3 and said game is copy protected,you cant take that save and put it on another ps3 as the save file is only recognised to the ps3 that you started the game on or vice versa.Fortunately for me i was playing FF13 when my ps3 ylod and i was well into it so i backed everything up before it went completely dead and re installed on my new ps3 and because FF13 wasnt copy protected,i picked up where i left off .I dont know a lot about these things but perhaps someone can come in here and clear this up for you.I hope you get it sorted mate

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

You weak azz niggs

Well if you have PS+, that wouldn't be a problem. You'd just have to put your saves in the cloud folder..... The games that are copy protected you won't maintain. You will maintain everything else though.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Thanks for reply, it does kind of help. It's pretty much as I expected tbh, fucking copy protected saves. Thanks though, + rep.
    But I could do with some clarification from anyone who has had experience with this, especially with RE5 backup..
    Edit: @ grimdawg. I don't have ps+, so not really an option but thanks anyway.
    Cheers
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    [

You weak azz niggs

Thanks for reply, it does kind of help. It's pretty much as I expected tbh, fucking copy protected saves. Thanks though, + rep.
    But I could do with some clarification from anyone who has had experience with this, especially with RE5 backup..
    Edit: @ grimdawg. I don't have ps+, so not really an option but thanks anyway.
    Cheers
    I just answered your question....

Quote Originally Posted by grimydawg View Post
    Well if you have PS+, that wouldn't be a problem. You'd just have to put your saves in the cloud folder..... The games that are copy protected you won't maintain. You will maintain everything else though.
    To check and see if a save is copy protected, simply press on your save, then hit copy. It will let you know if your save is copy protected or not. You're screwed, assuming your PS3 is down. If your PS3 does still work, however, you will be able to transfer all of your data from your old PS3 to your new one. You just need to go on data transfer utility on your XMB. It will transfer EVERYTHING over....
    Last edited by grimydawg; 02-26-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Lvl 6 - Silver

sorry i'd edited without re-reading my response, yes u did, thanks mate
    [

PRO Member

To check and see if a save is copy protected, simply press on your save, then hit copy. It will let you know if your save is copy protected or not. You're screwed, assuming your PS3 is down. If your PS3 does still work, however, you will be able to transfer all of your data from your old PS3 to your new one. You just need to go on data transfer utility on your XMB. It will transfer EVERYTHING over....
    Wait, so are you saying even on PS + copy protected saves will not work on a new console if you transfer them, I thought with PS + you could transfer copy protected saves to....

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

PRO Member

Why don't you do a data transfer? all you need to do is an ethernet cable and you can transfer everything from your old ps3 (incliding copy protected saves) to your new slim. Takes a couple of hours but its well worth doing. Look for it under system settings and it'll tell you how to do it.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Not to confuse everyone, but I'm gonna be upgrading my 80 gig HDD to 500G soon. I'm gonna use the backup utility on the XMB and copy everything to a 2 TB external, remove the 80G HDD, replace with 500G then xfer all back up'd data from external onto new 500G HDD. Since it's the same console just new HDD I should be golden right?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Change is mediocre

There is a thing called something like "Data Transfer" and it allows you to put everything over onto your new ps3 (only if both ps3's work). You would need to connect them together via ethernet cable and wait.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Mattas22 View Post
    Why don't you do a data transfer? all you need to do is an ethernet cable and you can transfer everything from your old ps3 (incliding copy protected saves) to your new slim. Takes a couple of hours but its well worth doing. Look for it under system settings and it'll tell you how to do it.
    To be honest, until I read this thread, I didn't know that you could... I should probably explore my ps3 options a bit more than I have. Thanks for the heads up though.
    And grimydawg, +rep for you for the info
    [

Lvl 1 - Bronze

To be honest, until I read this thread, I didn't know that you could... I should probably explore my ps3 options a bit more than I have. Thanks for the heads up though.
    And grimydawg, +rep for you for the info
    More information can be found here:
    PS3™ | Data Transfer Utility

PRO Member

I have a quick question, I finally got my data transfer to work, transferred data to my new system from my old 60GB but when I sync'd my trophy list somehow modern warfare 2 got added to my trophy list (a game that I don't own, and has never been put in either of my systems) has anyone ever heard of this happening? I was going for a perfect list, and I don't play shooters so I'm pretty pissed that this happened, since I never had any interest in playing this game. Gonna contact Sony support in the morning to see what could have happened.
    Last edited by Trunksu25; 03-07-2012 at 01:36 AM.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

Lvl 6 - Silver

^ haven't experienced this, but have found that any games I have revisited I have had to restart trophies that I already have gained, until I resync with server. I've had to do this for Uncharted 2 [platinumed], God of War 2 [88%] and Little Big Planet 2 [60ish%]. Seems odd that I have to resync for every game but whatever. Sorry I can't help you...
    [

PRO Member

I contacted Sony customer support, and got transferred a few times until I got a technician. They addmitted that upon data transfers there is a very rare incidance that accounts can get crossed, but as it's so rare, they don't feel it's necessary to repair the situation on their end. They also stated that they will not, not that they cannot, but will not remove the trophy list from my PSN ID.
    I was given 3 options: basically I can create a new account (lose all my saves which totals several hundread hours of gaming, and all my trophies, while not as many as some ppl's collections, it marks all the gaming I've done on the system since I've had a PS3), I can ignore the trophy list (which my obsessive compulsive disorder will not let me do), or I can play the game (which I really don't want to do but seemingly have no choice if I want to have any chance at my list being complete)
    Really pissed because as they admitted, it is an error on their end, and I think rare or not they should own up to their mistakes, but after conversing with them, they feel they have no obligation to correct a problem that affects a very isolated portion of the playerbase.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

Lvl 7 - Gold

the only way you can copy protected files is if you have ps+, if they are proteceted you will not be able to transfer them, it happened to me. press
    and you will know if it is copy protected or not, as if it is it will let you only copy it to ps+