Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What kind of gamer are you?

This is a discussion on What kind of gamer are you? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I dont like sports or racing or co-op. I like medium to hard games, but ludicrous ones, like the Vanquish ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I dont like sports or racing or co-op. I like medium to hard games, but ludicrous ones, like the Vanquish challenges, try my patience too much. That is rote rehearsal on a grand scale and it is just too boring. Trophies have certainly changed my game playing style as well. Before I would just beat a game on normal and move on to the next never thinking about it again. Now I look at trophy list and play on hard settings and go out of my way to find collectibles etc. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not as some (shards anyone?) can only be described as a legitimate waste of life. On the other hand I do get more out of games and have come to know them much more intimately due to the amount of work put in. And you do have something to show for it contrary to popular belief even it is only a digital image. As a side note I have never met a fellow trophy hunter in real life and I have been in college for ten years! Where do all of us hide at?

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I personally have never really thought about it but i would say im more of a single player kind of person.i like rpg's,platformers and action/adventure games,that sort of thing but there are other genres that do appeal to me like fighting games.i used to play them religiously back in the day but not so much now and the same goes for driving and shooting games.i used to like them,but them games now more often than not tend to have online multiplayer capabilities and i sort of stay away from online games trophies unless its a series that im a big fan of like marvel vs capcom.i had to get mvc3 and i thought i was pretty damn lucky in getting the plat even though i ran into a load of spammers which is another reason why i sometimes stay away from online/multiplayer games.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

What kind of gamer are you?
    I would say a competitive gamer, also hardcore when it comes to singleplayer. I work for trophies, talk on forums, & all that jazz. When playing games I go for challenging feats, for example: If it's COD, I try to better my kill/death ratio. If it's something offline, I start straight from the Hardest mode & so on.

Signature by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

Having grown up through the 8 bit and 16 bit era of gaming, I tend towards single player console gaming with PC gaming limited to Real Time and Turn Based Stratergy (TBS/RTS) games seeing as consoles are severely lacking in this genre. I'll pretty much play any genre except for sports based games (with the exception of motor racing), but my preference is for games with a huge open environment to explore and/or a compelling story (preferably sci fi) such as Far Cry 2, Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noir, Demons/Dark Souls and Fallout just to name a few. But sometimes I just want a quick fix which is when I turn to the more old school type of gaming such as Soldner X, R-Type, Mortal Kombat and Pinball or a quick foray into the online FPS/TPS lobbies. Other times I just want to zone out which is when the PC gets booted up for some Sim City or Civilization or even Online Poker.

Now playing
    EVE ONLINE
    Who needs a life anyway

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I find myself an RPG Gamer. I'd rather be balls deep in a great story in an rpg, than playing an FPS like BF3, CoD, or playing a racing game.
    Your knife, my back. My gun, your head.

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

I consider myself to be a variety gamer since I like to try everything and anything, if it be indie games on the PC, or visual novels all the way to puzzle games, MMO's, FPS's and everything else in between, and not limit myself to one genre or one system for that matter, but I will say I do prefer my single player JRPG's and niche games that fall into that category above all. Multi-player games on the other hand (mainly FPS games), I just see them as dumb fun and something to pass the time with and not play them too competitively.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

Closing this account

i am more of a sports gamer because that is what i did in elementary and high school. i played sports in real life as well. i like rpgs to but i play them to escape this freak show of a world we live in.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I love games. Maybe not all genres are loved equally but I love 'em. I must say though, I consider myself an immersive gamer. I always find myself envisioning myself in a game's storyline as the main character or an NPC or a character of my own liking. I have the greatest respect for a game or franchise that can take me from the living room sofa and put me behind that 1st or 3rd person camera and be a hero. Not sure if this is making sense but hopefully you understand. I am positive there are many more like me. And yeah, some people reading this may be thinking, "Dude, you need to get a life." or, "Wow, that man-cave living, p0rn-watching virgin needs to get out of his mom's basement.", but frankly I could care less. I live a normal, average life, nothing special, but do I love games? Hell Yes! I grew up with games. Having a blast with my friends playing Aliens Vs. Predator on Atari Jaguar for the high score is one of my favorite memories. Why play games if not to have fun? Sorry for the rant but questions must be answered.
    Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/GenCapGaming

Hesitation Equals Regret

Level 5 Esper

I prefer shooters and JRPGs ~ Games like Battlefield and CoD take up most of my time. First person shooters are my favorite, but I hate third person shooters like Mass Effect. Don't get me wrong, ME has a pretty cool story and fun mechanics, but it feels so much harder to aim and shoot than FPSs. For JRPGs, I like the artwork and detail involved ~
    >>>>> New Trophy Case <<<<<

Multiplayer/Old PSN

Currently Playing
    FFX-2 HD Remake (PS3) || Killzone Mercenary (PSV) || Hearthstone (PC)

My Guides

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
    Generator Rex: Agent of Providence

An old-fashioned cowboy

I would say I'm definitely a single-player gamer. As far as genre goes I would I tend to play action-adventures games more than anything but also enjoy open world and stealth games.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

I'm an RPG/Shooter gamer. I love to collect lots of games, collect Steam games, and earn tough plats. I also very rarely play MP unless its for LoL.

PRO Member

I'm mainly an RPG'er and on top of that a completionist. That doesn't mean I won't play games other than RPGs, as I like a lot of action platformers, adventure games, and Sandbox-type of games. I also play beat em ups although the genre is almost nonexistant nowadays. I like some fighting games, but I tend to not be so good at playing them even if I enjoy the game, so they take longer to beat for me. I tend not to play many FPS types of games, nor sports games as alot of the athletes I grew up admiring are long since retired and again not very good at those games either.
    But no matter what I play I tend to try to "unlock" everything, have a complete list of items/characters/skills etc. Max level etc... lol like I said I'm a completionist

Resident Deadhead

definatly an old school gamer, through and through. I may love my ps3, but i would choose my NES or SNES over it in a heartbeat. no doubt

Chuck Norris Approved.

I don't really have a set type, after getting the platinum for skyrim I burnt myself out on that style. I have went back to tiger woods 2012 and dungeoun defenders as of late. Guess I just bounce around, plus I go into binges of gaming a lot for a week or two. Then I may go weeks without even gaming at all. I've had uncharted 3 and MW3 for about 3 weeks and have yet to even open them. Like I said I just get in a funk/ phase on gaming.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

Lvl 7 - Gold

I used to be a JRPG fanatic. Then I was introduced to Baldur's Gate and Fallout on the PC and my perspective changed. However one thing that will always remain with Doom is my love for fighters. Especially the Vs. series. I still have fond memories of the arcade scene, a line waiting to play MvC1 then the madness that was MvC2.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Lvl 6 - Silver

i'm a singlr player gamer so if a game has a good story or a great game-play i get it as soon as i can no matter what genre it is i also like Fighting games although i am not very good at them and as for the MP well i don't really care that much after i finish their trophies all i care about is to play a new game, enjoy a new experience and aim for the Platinum before i move on to another game that way i play with my games for as long as i can to make sure that this game is an experience that i will never forget !!

Toggle Spoiler

For me trophies have become an integral part of gaming, like a stereo in a car. Is it really necessary? No. Is it a lot more fun with it though? Hell yeah!

quoted by Robinworldwide

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I mostly prefer games with the leveling system so most of the time it's RPGs. Unfortunately, I still don't have any of 'em for PS3, only for PS2.

All in all, I like games that have moderate difficulty level because I seriously have the worst temper ever and I tend to loose it very quickly if something doesn't go as I want.
    I like to play games for the fun of it, not to tear my hair out.

I usually dislike shooters but I really liked Army of Two and its co-op mode and I finished it with my fiancé, although we had few hiccups along the way...

To sum things up, I like relatively easy games with bosses giving the challenge, good and easy to learn controls, good graphics and most importanly, a great plot.
    “So you never know, if you sit a long time drinking coffee you might win a Nobel prize.”
    - Professor Martyn Poliakoff

Lvl 7 - Gold

I'm a hardcore gamer, i play lots of different games.
    I used to be a PC-gamer, but since i have my PS3, i don't play much PC-games anymore.

RPG i like the most.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm not exactly a "hard-core" gamer. I play some shooters, some sports, and games like AC and uncharted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12