Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

[RIP] My "Launch Day" PlayStation 3 [2006-2012] (Got a few Questions)

This is a discussion on [RIP] My "Launch Day" PlayStation 3 [2006-2012] (Got a few Questions) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Heya guys! Yes... yes... yes... it died yesterday when I tried to watch a Blu-ray movie. I'm kind of sad ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

[RIP] My "Launch Day" PlayStation 3 [2006-2012] (Got a few Questions)

Heya guys!

Yes... yes... yes... it died yesterday when I tried to watch a Blu-ray movie. I'm kind of sad since I won't be able to play PSX and PS2 games on my PS3.

However, I am wondering... since I had to switch the HDD to a 160GB, is it possible to put that HDD into a new Slim PS3 so I can get all my games, updates and everything I had before?

Also, is my PSN Profile safe? How can I get back?

I'm looking forward to get your inputs so I can get everything back... but in a Slim PS3

I really thought my PS3 would last forever... damn I loved it! lol

Nope, nothing

R.I.P PS3

Not sure about the HDD stuff, but your account is safe yes. When you go to sign up to PSN, just click on "use existing account", or something like that. And just type in your previous accounts details

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm not sure if the fat ps3 HDD fits into the slim one so you might want to research that. My advice would be to look for a far PS3 without a HDD that still works so if you don't want to buy a whole brand new system just to swap out HDDs if you do that though, there's the option to transfer data from one to another. So multiple ways to get your data over.
    Thanks to In2 for the sweet sig and avatar!
    Feel free to send me a friends request on here or on PSN. Blank requests will NOT be accepted.

You weak azz niggs

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Carlos View Post
    Heya guys!

Yes... yes... yes... it died yesterday when I tried to watch a Blu-ray movie. I'm kind of sad since I won't be able to play PSX and PS2 games on my PS3.

However, I am wondering... since I had to switch the HDD to a 160GB, is it possible to put that HDD into a new Slim PS3 so I can get all my games, updates and everything I had before?

Also, is my PSN Profile safe? How can I get back?

I'm looking forward to get your inputs so I can get everything back... but in a Slim PS3

I really thought my PS3 would last forever... damn I loved it! lol
    If you try to do a quick fix for the YLOD (do research), you can transfer all of your data into your new PS3 without having to switch anything...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Oh my God. I'll kill myself... I was 3 trophies away from Gran Turismo 5 Platinum Trophy...

The Old Guy

Sorry, but the new system will automatically reformat your hard drive, so you can't just pop it in and be good to go.

Since it doesn't appear you have PS+, the only way you can get your saves is to try to get your old system working as grimy says above, and do the data transfer to the new one. You could also do a backup and/or manually copy saves, but many saves are copy protected so that won't work for every game - the transfer is the way to go if you can make it happen.

If you were really desperate, you could send it to Sony for service, but there's no guarantee that you'd even get the same system back, let alone that it would still have your saves on it.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Jeez. I kinda hate Sony right now...

I have to find a way to fix the YLOD real quick so I can transfer the data from the old PS3 to a new one... or else, my GT5 save is gone, which means 700+ hours thrown away...

You weak azz niggs

Oh my God. I'll kill myself... I was 3 trophies away from Gran Turismo 5 Platinum Trophy...
    Oh Ouch. I feel you on that one. Do you have something like an external HD or some sort of other flash drive? If not, you're screwed, unless you have PS+

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by grimydawg View Post
    Oh Ouch. I feel you on that one. Do you have something like an external HD or some sort of other flash drive? If not, you're screwed, unless you have PS+
    External HD would still require him to get the old system working, though... and yeah, GT5... just wow - that sucks bigtime.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Jeez. I kinda hate Sony right now...

I have to find a way to fix the YLOD real quick so I can transfer the data from the old PS3 to a new one... or else, my GT5 save is gone, which means 700+ hours thrown away...

Oh and BTW, ask me if I'll get PS+ next time??... Damn!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I've successfully fixed 3 YLODs. Go to YouTube and search "PS3 YLOD fix djwetzel" (I'm on my phone, otherwise I would post the videos for you). Follow exactly what that guy does. You will need a heat gun, thermal compound (arctic silver works very well, this is the in house radioshack brand I believe), 2 different sized Phillips head screw drivers, and 1 torx head screw driver. Note: your PS3 will be extremely dusty, I recommend cleaning everything with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Also, be sure to remove all of the old thermal compound. Hope this helps, let's is know.

Currently Boosting: Resident Evil 6
    Currently Playing: Plants vs Zombies & Assassin's Creed 4

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Matticus182 View Post
    I've successfully fixed 3 YLODs. Go to YouTube and search "PS3 YLOD fix djwetzel" (I'm on my phone, otherwise I would post the videos for you). Follow exactly what that guy does. You will need a heat gun, thermal compound (arctic silver works very well, this is the in house radioshack brand I believe), 2 different sized Phillips head screw drivers, and 1 torx head screw driver. Note: your PS3 will be extremely dusty, I recommend cleaning everything with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Also, be sure to remove all of the old thermal compound. Hope this helps, let's is know.
    Is it a temporary solution? Or you fixed them for good?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

It was a temporary fix, it allowed me to get all of my data back that wasn't protected and I was able to finish up all of the trophies on save files I couldn't copy. My first fix lasted me several months and then the second fix lasted me a couple more. The final fix was just to get my disc back and then to finally retire my first PS3. It still works to this day, but I bought a slim and there is no need to play on that one any more. Getting your data back seems to be your biggest issue, especially with that GT5 progress.

Currently Boosting: Resident Evil 6
    Currently Playing: Plants vs Zombies & Assassin's Creed 4

PRO Member

Is it a temporary solution? Or you fixed them for good?
    I would consider it a temporary fix. As Matt said, it may last several months. Why take a chance though? If you are lucky enough to get it working again, I would immediately sign up for PS+ and upload all your save files (starting with GT5). Then you can debate on whether to get a new PS3 or not... the most important point here is the save data.

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by bmj14772 View Post
    I would consider it a temporary fix. As Matt said, it may last several months. Why take a chance though? If you are lucky enough to get it working again, I would immediately sign up for PS+ and upload all your save files (starting with GT5). Then you can debate on whether to get a new PS3 or not... the most important point here is the save data.
    Right. And/or go buy a new PS3 and have it ready so that when you do get the old one up and running you can immediately do the data transfer. I would probably say using PS+ for your cloud saves is your best bet to do right away, though, because it should be a much faster process than the transfer - just in case your "fix" only lasts for an hour or something.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Yes, absolutely. I was just asking because I am mainly looking for a temporary fix so I can my stuff back.

Hell yeah I'm gonna sign up for PS+, you have no idea how fast I'll do it...

I won't debate, I'll get a new PS3 tonight, going for a 250$ (CAD) bundle with Uncharted 3 @ FutureShop hah!

I'll get the tools I need to fix the Phatty PS3 and I should be fine!... *fingers crossed*

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    Right. And/or go buy a new PS3 and have it ready so that when you do get the old one up and running you can immediately do the data transfer. I would probably say using PS+ for your cloud saves is your best bet to do right away, though, because it should be a much faster process than the transfer - just in case your "fix" only lasts for an hour or something.
    The PS3 to PS3 transfer is easy to do right?

And I guess I'll use a RJ45 cable...?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

i lost my launch day ps3 a couple of years ago to the red light of death. i know how you feel.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by matt6skills View Post
    i lost my launch day ps3 a couple of years ago to the red light of death. i know how you feel.
    Did you have a 94% (Trophies Wise) Gran Turismo 5 save? Then you don't know how I feel haha!

Just kidding! But yeah, I'm f**k**' pissed! It's just so sad Sony made it impossible to "swap" HDD...

Lvl 6 - Silver

sucks man, but we've all been there lol (well most of us) and 6 years is a damn good run, that's alot more than most of us got before YLOD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast