Sad day indeed.

This is a discussion on Sad day indeed. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So my PS3 just got the YLOD and I'm curious of a few things. Is it savable, and if not ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Sad day indeed.

So my PS3 just got the YLOD and I'm curious of a few things. Is it savable, and if not is all my saved game data screwed? Is there any way when I get a new one to just transplant my hard drive to the new PS3?
    Outside the dream world, life can be harsh, even cruel, but it is life.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

yes u can "transplant" ur HD just be very cautious with blue screw it is VERY is strip it

Lvl 2 - Bronze

You could "repair" your PS3 for a temporary fix and extract all your save files then do whatever you want with it. Since most likely it will died again.

Possessed

Go on youtube and use the hairdryer trick... worked for me and many other people. It will allow your PS3 to work long enough to get the save data back.
    Thanks to Ramonalicious for the sig.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by joshc76 View Post
    yes u can "transplant" ur HD just be very cautious with blue screw it is VERY is strip it
    I'm not really worried about that I already replaced my HDD had a 80 gb that died so I put in a 250 just curious if I move the hdd I heard somewhere that it reformats it when you put it in a new ps3.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Well I took it apart and took a heat gun to the GPU and CPU and put it back together and it seems to be working really good the fan isn't going all crazy like it was I've run it most of the day just to test it and it seems to be holding strong. Hopefully this fix will last me a while.

Breakfast and Chill

Good luck sir.

PRO Member

That is bad news for sure Hope you can fix it man! Good luck!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

after my first ylod i learnt my lesson and i save everything to a usb once i'm done for the day or to playstation plus if they have copyright bullshit on it.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

You can't transplant your HDD actually. If you put it into another PS3, it will be formatted, losing all your data. If you did online backup, great. If you didn't, you have to repair it, then either back it up online or to a flashdrive/external hard drive.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Alive26 View Post
    Well I took it apart and took a heat gun to the GPU and CPU and put it back together and it seems to be working really good the fan isn't going all crazy like it was I've run it most of the day just to test it and it seems to be holding strong. Hopefully this fix will last me a while.
    It may last awhile. My last PS3 lasted 6 more months after the first YLOD, 3 months after the second, and then another 3 after the third. I'm curious how long your's lasts. I hope you did a good job cleaning it up while you were in there. Also, they make thermal pads that I used last time (fingers crossed) that may make better heat contact to the heat sink.

Mista J

I had a friend that did the hairdryer trick and it did indeed work. I think it temporary heats something up in it to let it for for a short time, so thats worth a shot.

Awesome Sig by:Beam|Aka bar by:Athena
    Gifts From Friends:
    Alison | Beam & Kid | TG09

Check out the shop- Deja View Sigs

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alive26 View Post

MAN, you should still back it up, you never know when it may die again...., Ever since my first YLOD, I back up everything up once a week to a external Hard Drive, so try that, I didn't repair it myself the first time i got the YLOD because I still had warranty on it, but if it happens again, Imma gonn have 2, I'm officially out of warranty as we speak.....
    Transplanting the current Hard Drive I think wipes all the data off it, I'm not sure though but I think that's right for all hard drives in the ps3, not just the one it came with, but if you have the original it came with for sure it should wipe, well that's how it works if you have a 80gb fat ps3 anyway not sure about new models or any other models...

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I still have my old fat 80gb ps3 working nowdays... but I'm worried someday this YLOD happens to me.... it's been almost 4 years and hasn't have a problem yet thanks God.

Has anyone know if it could happen that your ps3 never gets the YLOD?? lol...

anyway good luck with this bro

"Could this be the end?... Is this the way I died?...
    Sitting here alone, no one by my side."