Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Valve is apparently working with companies for a "Steam box"

This is a discussion on Valve is apparently working with companies for a "Steam box" within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by dr_mayus Actually I put Portal 2 as my game of the year and valve as developer of ...

  1. #21
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Actually I put Portal 2 as my game of the year and valve as developer of the year. I also posted that Portal 2 not only deserved every award it got but should have won a lot more. Where I have a problem with Valve is them thinking they are the greatest thing in the world and everyone should be like them or else stop making games. Basically I hate the arrogance that company has.

    Listen I might be proven wrong on this, but I work in the retail world and if you walk into any of the major retailers (at least in Canada) PC gaming either shares the bottom half of the last xbox cabinet or it is buried so far in the store that you have to search for it. Valve will have to put out a lot of money to make sure they not only get floor space (because that space will have to come from somewhere) and to make sure they get good floor space (which will be tough since the buyers are familiar with sony/ms/nintendo and aren't going to want to hurt their relationships with those companies for a company they don't know that much about).

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    But you know what I am not going to argue this because frankly I don't really care.


    why are you not listening to yourself and if you don't care why are you coming back to this thread




    also apparently some eurogamer guy is talkin about it too or something





    im going to call it the GabeCube, fuck steam box.




    more patent pics


    http://i.imgur.com/tyD4p.png

  2. #22
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310

    A guy from valve was working on a prototype possibly, he also twittered about building it in november


    here's a prototype pic:



    Is This a Photo of Valve's Rumored Console, Or At Least a Prototype?

  3. #23
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Actually I put Portal 2 as my game of the year and valve as developer of the year. I also posted that Portal 2 not only deserved every award it got but should have won a lot more. Where I have a problem with Valve is them thinking they are the greatest thing in the world and everyone should be like them or else stop making games. Basically I hate the arrogance that company has.

    Listen I might be proven wrong on this, but I work in the retail world and if you walk into any of the major retailers (at least in Canada) PC gaming either shares the bottom half of the last xbox cabinet or it is buried so far in the store that you have to search for it. Valve will have to put out a lot of money to make sure they not only get floor space (because that space will have to come from somewhere) and to make sure they get good floor space (which will be tough since the buyers are familiar with sony/ms/nintendo and aren't going to want to hurt their relationships with those companies for a company they don't know that much about).
    The respect and love they've gotten in the past years have been for a reason: they give a crap about their consumer, prove it all the time and deliver all the time, unlike every other major gaming company or developer (from Nintendo to Sega and from EA to Activison). They are one of (if not the) best devs out there and their service is easily the best one out there, having great deals all the time and constant updates to their most popular games. What they are and claim to be, is totally true, and they can prove it.

    Where I live, I can find PC games on a lot of places: from game stores to places like Office Max and Wal Mart, and they ain't easy to miss. They are where every other videogame is and finding them is as easy as finding shovelware or big-budget games like Uncharted or Halo. Maybe in Canada it is different and no one gives a crap (or maybe just in Winnipeg), but that doesn't mean it's the same everywhere, let alone in the US.

    Valve won't really need to put much of their own money to get said space. The companies that'll help them with the 'console' and the many devs that'll want a piece of the cake will surely make said costs meaningless

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  4. #24
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    This is a very good idea, much like anti I approve of this.

    Much like DR though, I have concerns as to how the business model is going to be beneficial for retail outlets, you can't sell this thing just through Steam and expect it to matter to anybody (NEWS FLASH: if you sell it on Steam or through Valve alone, you will never expand your customer base from what it is now, business 101 ladies and gents, you always market outside of your core user base).

    If Valve expects this to be successful they will need to address two primary concerns (and I'm sure they are already thinking about this... but I'll say it anyway):

    1) Their needs to be an ancillary method for game delivery that is advantageous for retail. I think they've already handled this with Portal 2 (as PS360 mentioned), but there will have to be a larger presence in some respect. Something that makes the Steam Box FEEL like its own thing.

    This really goes to what Valve needs to do to suck in the non-core gamer. The core gamer is always going to be aware of the new games coming out and everything, but the non-core gamer needs to be shown (not told) the new stuff and they need to be given something that makes them feel like they own it. Even if its just a little card with an activation code.

    This number/necessity is dwindling, but it still represents a gigantic chunk of revenue for games. We are still maybe a decade away from retail being unnecessary.

    2) This is more long-term, but if Valve wants to push the envelope they need to have some long term plans for cost. I expect there is alot of R&D at Sony, MSoft, Nintendo, etc that we aren't seeing, but Valve isn't going to make anything happen if they don't have a long term plan.

    Yeah, sometimes you have to eat a loss to get a market presence or technology out there and customers hooked. I'm seeing some of that here...

    That only works though if you have a plan to turn a profit on it, and Valve doesn't have any experience in this arena. I hope they are setting their cards up right.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  5. #25
    Lvl 5 - Silver
    Ryan's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    the ghetto
    Posts
    329
    Reputation
    37

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Steam has a user base of 40 million accounts and is the leading PC digital distribution channel. If they can't find a way to sell ice to Eskimoes, I don't know who can. There's no reason they can't act as their own distributors and sell it online, at least initially.

    The other factor to consider is the millions of Steam users who aren't playing more recent titles because their systems aren't up to the job. Enter Steam Box at a cheap price for a mid/high-spec PC dedicated gaming rig and they've killed two birds with one stone.

    I have a high-spec PC and I'll buy one without a doubt. I'm sick of the PC upgrade circle-jerk every few years and would prefer a more console-like approach to PC gaming. Developers will likely embrace it given the fixed specs of the Steam Box, which means faster dev cycles and less after-sales support. Not to mention a captive audience and a potential solution to PC piracy.

    It also sounds like Steam may be gearing up to tackle other media markets, like music, TV and movies. A PC console / all-in-one media box with built-in DD could take the fight to Apple.
    I was thinking that too (bolded part) when I heard this, seeing as how Microsoft and Sony have stores like that for their consoles. I'd definitely buy one if it was open like a PC is (kb+m support, can install any program, etc.) and had standardized hardware (like a console so it's easier to develop a graphical setting for it).

  6. #26
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    This is a very good idea, much like anti I approve of this.

    Much like DR though, I have concerns as to how the business model is going to be beneficial for retail outlets, you can't sell this thing just through Steam and expect it to matter to anybody (NEWS FLASH: if you sell it on Steam or through Valve alone, you will never expand your customer base from what it is now, business 101 ladies and gents, you always market outside of your core user base).
    I agree. However, I don't see the Steam Box having the mass-appeal of an Xbox, Wii or PS, so they can get away with selling to their existing customer base in the short term to test the waters.

    Assuming a typical 1-2% sell-through rate, Valve can potentially ship a million units to current Steam account holders. If the proof of concept works, the second generation would be the one to watch and would likely see a retail launch.

    In all likelihood, the first gen will be sold at retail and Valve will need to suck it and see, but it isn't the only way to launch the box, particularly for a company that generates most of it's income on the interwebs. Alienware and Dell had great success as internet-only companies while they established a market presence.

  7. #27
    PRO Member
    Curse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    715
    Reputation
    102

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    A guy from valve was working on a prototype possibly, he also twittered about building it in november


    here's a prototype pic:



    Is This a Photo of Valve's Rumored Console, Or At Least a Prototype?
    Holy shit, when did Valve steal my old wireless router?

    -----

    This sounds awesome, simply awesome. They'd obviously make the sales from steam users from the start, but this would be a great way to bridge the gap between the brain-dead among the console users (The ones that buy everything these days), and PC gaming. Joe average goes around to his friends house and sees him playing his favorite game on what looks like a new console and it looks a lot better than his console equivalent, chances are he'll be interested (price depending).

    I could see this being a slow grower but Valve could make it work, they wont sell gazillions on launch with this, or so I'd assume, but through word of mouth and newer, more affordable models being released, this could be massive

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    The one question I got to ask is who is going to sell this? I mean companies like Walmart or Best Buy don't make any money on hardware and rely on software to make a profit. Will this thing have physical media or will it all be downloadable. Also companies like walmart, best buy, gamestop etc. have long ties with ms, sony and nintendo and would be apprehensive to selling a new product especially since most of these companies are already shrinking store space given to gaming.

    I just see this as a bad idea because without a retailer willing to back you then this thing is dead in the water already. We will have to see what happens but I just can't see this thing selling well.
    It's not as though it's some new company trying to sell a next gen console that they've somehow got their hands on, this is valve we're talking about, I doubt the ties with the other three playing too much of a big part in this (if it was to happen) surely

  8. #28
    Kal
    Kal is offline
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    Kal's Avatar


    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    289
    Reputation
    4

    If this is actually true I'm down, I can play games for free on my TV FINALLY!

    piratelife.

    But then again, yay I can also play all my steam games

  9. #29
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    It's not as though it's some new company trying to sell a next gen console that they've somehow got their hands on, this is valve we're talking about, I doubt the ties with the other three playing too much of a big part in this (if it was to happen) surely
    But they are a new company in the hardware department and let's face it online they are gaming gods, but at retail they are relatively unknown. I am being very serious here L4D and Portal 2 are know a little bit by retailers but they are hardly Call of Duty or Madden. You guys are all PC gamers and know CS, HL TF etc. but when trying to sell your product to Top 4 retailers you have to show them numbers and Valve can't really do that (not steam numbers, because those don't matter to retailers, but physical numbers).

    I was just trying to add a little debate to this forum because everyone here was so quick to think that this was a surefire money making machine, when in reality I doubt Valve will ever see a profit from this and I think it will end up costing them more money than if they just stuck to software.

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

  10. #30
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    But they are a new company in the hardware department and let's face it online they are gaming gods, but at retail they are relatively unknown. I am being very serious here L4D and Portal 2 are know a little bit by retailers but they are hardly Call of Duty or Madden. You guys are all PC gamers and know CS, HL TF etc. but when trying to sell your product to Top 4 retailers you have to show them numbers and Valve can't really do that (not steam numbers, because those don't matter to retailers, but physical numbers).

    I was just trying to add a little debate to this forum because everyone here was so quick to think that this was a surefire money making machine, when in reality I doubt Valve will ever see a profit from this and I think it will end up costing them more money than if they just stuck to software.
    Half-Life and Team Fortress 2 are very popular retail games. Just look at the Orange Box. When it was first released, there wasn't a single place where I couldn't find a copy, be it for the PC or the 360 (and later, the lame port that us PS3 users were given). While they ain't as popular as they are online, they are still popular and carry a brand name, and no retailer will tell them to GTFO just because they don't sell a million physical copies. They ain't morons. They can and will make a market study that'll give them enough reason to sell their product.

    Also, Valve can show them numbers. They keep records of how many times a game has been sold through Steam. They'd just need to show them how many times x Valve developed title got sold on Steam, plus the 360/Ps3 counterparts (if they exist, which is the case with L4D or Portal 2). Those are real numbers, not made-up ones.

    Valve is Valve, and they have proven that they can make a profit out of almost anything. They won't come out of nowhere, propose a new system and expect it to sell like hotcakes just because. No, they ain't Sony, or Nintendo or Microsoft. They'll invest enough money to make sure people know about it and fall in love with it, and in the end, said investment will pay off (unlike Sony's), and they'll become a major force in both software and hardware, which they are very capable of producing (even more now that they said they'd work with other hardware manufacturing companies to create it).

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  11. #31
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    So its a computer that lets me play computer games...or a console that lets me use the internet...I thought we already had those and they were called the PC and the PS3/360? I don't get all the hype for it.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  12. #32
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    So its a computer that lets me play computer games...or a console that lets me use the internet...I thought we already had those and they were called the PC and the PS3/360? I don't get all the hype for it.
    Don't be close minded. It's an upgradeable console.

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  13. #33
    Legend...Nuff Said
    Lasombra's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Korea
    Posts
    1,535
    Reputation
    185

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Don't be close minded. It's an upgradeable console.
    Oh, so its just a computer...still not seeing the hype for it.

    L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

  14. #34
    PRO Member
    Gauss's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,243
    Reputation
    98

    Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Valve is Valve, and they have proven that they can make a profit out of almost anything. They won't come out of nowhere, propose a new system and expect it to sell like hotcakes just because. No, they ain't Sony, or Nintendo or Microsoft. They'll invest enough money to make sure people know about it and fall in love with it, and in the end, said investment will pay off (unlike Sony's), and they'll become a major force in both software and hardware, which they are very capable of producing (even more now that they said they'd work with other hardware manufacturing companies to create it).
    That bolded part is my primary concern, Valve isn't a hardware vendor... How bumpy is this going to be?

    Not to mention they can't sell hardware on the same platform they sell software, its a new business model. How is that going to be? How much money will they lose?

    There are an ocean of examples of companies that stretched outside of their bounds (where they were incredibly successful) and collapsed.

    The grim reality is no company is too big/smart/successful to fail, not even Valve.

    Do I think Valve will fail? No, not at all.
    Would it be naive of me to not have concerns as a customer? Yes.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.


    Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

  15. #35
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    DoomHorror's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pagan Lands
    Posts
    686
    Reputation
    27


  16. #36
    NSFW
    gyrocop's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Land of Dumb Puns
    Posts
    1,488
    Reputation
    115

    This is great news! Hopefully the games, you already have bought on Steam, will be offered free on the SteamBox, but knowing Valve, they probably would do awesome stuff like that. I'm using a Mac, and even though I like it (The products, not the company), it would be cool to get a chance to play the games, I can't on my Mac. If the price is right, this would warrant a buy from me.




    Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

    Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

  17. #37
    Lvl 4 - Silver
    Cr8zGamer's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    297
    Reputation
    2

    I wounder if i can finally play SW:TOR on it without spend a lot for a gaming computer just to play that game


  18. #38
    INTJ
    Ps360's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    12,268
    Reputation
    310


  19. #39
    Kiwi Defender
    Nagflar's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    6,570
    Reputation
    386

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

    Toggle Spoiler



    Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

  20. #40
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Look at my complete lack of surprise

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO