Why does my ps3 not start certain games?

This is a discussion on Why does my ps3 not start certain games? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I got mass effect 3 today. Awesome right? Sadly I can't play it because my ps3 wont start the ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Why does my ps3 not start certain games?

So I got mass effect 3 today. Awesome right? Sadly I can't play it because my ps3 wont start the damn game (It doesn't even see the game in the xmb) Every other game of mine works just fine and will register on the xmb within seconds... with an odd exception... mass effect 2. I can't seem to figure out why both mass effect 2 and mass effect 3 will not register and startup.. I know for sure my ps3 is clean.. and I just opened it up and cleaned the blu-ray lens and removed all the dust. Anyone have any ideas as to why those 2 oddly particular games don't seem to want to start up? WTF

PRO Member

I had this same problem on my PS2 with Suikoden 3, friends told me it meant my DVD drive was dying in the system, but still have it and it works to this day even tho I bought an insurance PS2 slim or 3 (we actually do have 4 PS2's, 2 in the box just in case one of the others goes, but they've been tested to make sure they work) sadly another game also didn't work on the system although I believe it was when we brought the system to MD for my fiancee's dad to play on while we visited.. I can't remember exactly but I think it was either soul calibur 3 or GT 4. Sorry to hear your new title doesn't work, is the disc in good shape (is it used or maybe a defect) might want to try it out in a friend's system if you get the chance to determine on which end you're having the trouble. Wish I could offer more advice, but hopefully this provides a starting point for you to diagnose your problem.

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

MK Plat = Overrated

I've seen this issue before on this web site. It may not be a disk read error. It may just be the disk. This guy once posted the same issue. Took the game back and the game store tested it. It worked in the game store. I think he took his PS3 to the store to test there. It didn't work. They put in another copy of the game on his PS3 and it worked. Just touchy I guess. Try that.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

its your disk drive that's messed up had the same problem.came up clean disc bla bla, bought me a new one problem solved or less pricy a blu ray cleaning disk 25bucks or so found that after i bought a new one DOH !

PS420

Yup. Take the disc/game back and get a new one and that should solve your problem.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Actually, I just sent my ps3 to sony for pretty much this same issue. Mine started out doing that. Then it stopped playing discs all together. I believe it is the disc drive as well. Sucks bro, but good luck.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I ordered the game on amazon though.
    it sucks that i'll have to wait a week just to get a new one

Lvl 7 - Gold

This sucks monkeyballs. I heard alot of rumors ?? that many MW3 disc copies are starting to have disc errors too....

Lvl 1 - Bronze

1 Look at the packaging that your PlayStation 3 game came in and see what's required to get it to run.
    2 Remove your memory card.

3 Insert your PlayStation 3 controller into the "Controller 1" port on the front of the console.

Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.
    playstation 3 controller