Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Why I Don't Buy Games At Launch

This is a discussion on Why I Don't Buy Games At Launch within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I rarely if ever buy games at launch either. Why spend on average $90-110 per game at launch in Oz ...

illegal in 9 countries

I rarely if ever buy games at launch either. Why spend on average $90-110 per game at launch in Oz when I can wait 6-12 months and pick it up for $20 or less on the interwebs?

I buy 5 x the games for the same amount of dough and have a huge backlog of games to play while I wait for the price to drop. And if I did want a game at launch, I'd import it from the UK at half the local retail price. Even then, it still holds no great value for me and isn't worth the asking price, so I'd rather wait for it to hit the bargain bin.

I don't care for multiplayer, I don't have that sort of time to invest in one game when there are so many other great games to play. All of my gaming is late at night after my wife & kids have gone to bed, so I can't chat in MP nor do I really want to.

I don't read game guides or visit game-specific forums, so I never see game-destroying spoilers. I don't care about Plats so I don't need an active community and if anything, focusing on Trophies spoils the fun of the first playthrough.

I don't use exploits, preferring to wait for stable versions of games to play in the spirit the developer intended, and I prefer GotY releases with DLC packs.

I don't give a shit about anyone else's opinion because it makes no difference to whether or not I like a game, so I'm not subject to peer reviews or pressure to buy at launch.

If you're prepared to wait, you get a lot more gaming for your buck. I use the same strategy for DVDs, CDs, Blu-Rays, gadgets, phones, books, cars etc and always have. I'm not a tight-arse and I have the money to spend, I don't perceive "NEW" as "more valuable" just because more people play a game at launch. It's the same game whether I play it day one or 3 years down the track and as long as the servers are still up, there will always be someone to play with.

The only rule I have is to try to pick a game up before it gets the shitty Platinum packaging. It makes zero difference to the game, but as a collector, platinum editions feel dirty on the shelf.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 03-09-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Game on....

I only purchase games at launch that i simply cannot wait for. I have only purchased FFXIII-2 and Mass Effect 3, so far on the launch dates this year. I usually have backlog of games to play or games that i didn't purchase and get around to purchasing later.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I useally only buy on launch day if I have been dying for the game or if it has a special edition because a lot of those are only good for pre-orders. Street Fighter x Tekken and Resident Evil Operation Racoon City has had me pre-ordering these games months early only because of the special editions. Other than that I'd just wait a little bit for reviews and price drops.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I do not buy all my games at launch day too, I just did that like 2 or 3 times... but the rest for the main reason: too save money!. I bought it when it gets cheaper... specially if that game doesn't have multiplayer. You have to save money.. and buy smartly

"Could this be the end?... Is this the way I died?...
    Sitting here alone, no one by my side."

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I have about 25 games, and the only one that I bought at launch was GT5

PLATINUMS: 3D Dot Game Heroes, Batman: AA, Assassins Creed 2, Bioshock, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty: WaW, Call Of Duty: MW2, Darksiders, Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2, Enslaved: OotW, Final Fantasy XIII, God Of War I & II, Madden 10,11 & 12, Resistance 2, Shaun White Snowboarding, Sly 1, Sonic's Genesis Collection, Uncharted 1&2, Walking Dead

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I rarely if ever buy games at launch either. Why spend on average $90-110 per game at launch in Oz when I can wait 6-12 months and pick it up for $20 or less on the interwebs?

I buy 5 x the games for the same amount of dough and have a huge backlog of games to play while I wait for the price to drop.
    Bingo.

#1 rule, buy on ebay or amazon and never buy from a retail store. Even games on release days, I've managed to snag games for $20-40. I pick up so many games for cheap, I have 70+ games still in plastic.... Besides WKC2.. I haven't preordered or picked up a game for full price in 5+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    -exploit the shit out of early launch glitches for maximum gain (oblivion infinite gold glitch and Skyrims Fortify Potion glitch for example)

-Highest Multiplayer Population of a game

-Avoid Spoilers because you already beat the game since you bought at launch.

-overall a better experience because you have a mass of people that just got it too, all of them exploring the game at the same time and setting down road for future players (Strategy Guides, Tips and tricks, etc.)
    I guess a few people enjoy glitching games, but I see no benefit in cheating yourself on making a game easier than what it's supposed to be. Guess you can't handle it .

Highest MP population? Sure it will, but if the game isn't complete shit. You won't run into a population issue for many years. So I disagree.

Your last 2 points are kind of linked together as the same thing... And either way, if you really want it to be a surprise to you. Don't look at guides or read topics that involve the game. It's not hard to do.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

ant1 and Minarum already said what I need to say pretty much. Why pay more?

Regional Manager of War

damn no reason to say anything since ant1, minarum, and even aipher all do what I do except I have a twist

I rent games from gamefly and always get the new releases I want than I wait for a price drop or online deals on ebay or amazon and save 50-75% off. I rented Batman AC back in October and bought the game new on Dec 1st for $29.99. Imo only a few games are ever worth buying day one.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I used to be pretty big into DVD collecting. With that, there was an incentive to buying them when they first came out: they were cheaper that first week. In many cases it would take many months for discs to drop in price after that initial first week price.

This is not the case with video games. At least not usually. Video games have a shelf life, an expiration date. They age far faster than movies and TV shows do. What that means is that if you're patient, you'll get far better deals.

I wanted Arkham City, but I just don't pay $60 for a game. I won't do it anymore. I thought about trying to grab it on Black Friday for $30, but I couldn't go. Finally this week Best Buy put it on sale again for $30, which I thought was a great deal. Then I find out Best Buy also had a $20 coupon for Arkham City in their @gamer magazine this month. I got a brand new copy of a great game for $10. I also got new copies of Rage and Bulletstorm for $5 each at the same time thanks to coupons.

I picked up a copy of LittleBigPlanet 2 Special Edition for $30 from Amazon and got 30 days of PS+ with it. That gave me several free games as part of the deal, and may have convinced me to actually pay for membership. If I were paying more for these games, I wouldn't even consider + membership.

Right now, I want MLB 12: The Show, but it was $60 everywhere, and the only offer available was if you wanted the Vita version. I'm gonna hold off until I can get it for $45 or less. It shouldn't be too long before that happens.

Winter Is Coming

I only buy games on release day if it's a game i simply can't wait for, otherwise I wait for a price drop. Don't see the point of paying 40 for a game I can probably get half price within a couple of weeks/months. So far this year I haven't bought anything on release day, that will probably only change for Borderlands 2.

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Lvl 7 - Gold

I bought Mahvel vs Capcom 3 at launch then 6 months later I bought Ultimate Mahvel vs Capcom 3. Do I regret it? Hell no, I fucking love that series. I mainly buy all my games at launch simply because I want to play them and for the ones that I don't, I simply do not read spoilers about 'em.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

The Playboy Wikipedia

The most recent game myself or my brother have bought on the day of the launch was Street Fighter X Tekken (got it at the Mass Effect 3 midnight release at EB Games). And despite saying that Pacman and Megaman were in the game, they don't get released till next week. The last game I got on launch day was Tekken 5, which here in NZ, came out in 2005. I'm normally still paying off my preorder/laybuy.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

Local Drunk

I never buy games at launch because if I wanted it that bad I would've pre-ordered.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 6 - Silver

Most people have said how I feel about this. Out of the hundreds of games I have ever owned, I have only ever pre-ordered <10. I only have ever bought new about 10 games - usually in sales - , as everything I buy is pre-owned. I don't buy new games because I know within a week there value will have practically halved, and within a few months, I can get a 60 game for less than a tenner. What's the point? Especiall when companies like Capcom release the same game 10 times with the same content on disc each time, just only some of it attainable
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

PRO Member

If I want the game i'm no way gonna wait for the price drop and also if it has a sweet looking limited edition pack i'm getting it no matter what just waiting for price drop is dumb and also like ps360 said some games aint so popular for multiplayer so you might buy it later on when it's cheap but find out no ones playing it online no more and your struck having to only get those multplayer trophys for your platinum but cant do nothin about it.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Ill never buy a new game... your just buying into the hype...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

i think it depends on the game but if u know u gonna like it get it wen it drops money is not everything

Lvl 8 - Gold

I stopped buying a lot of games at launch. Sometimes I just wait for a price drop, or see some gameplay to judge whether or not its worth $60.

Lvl 7 - Gold

most games even though i still really want it i can hold off as i know it will have some issues but if i want the game asap and on release i will buy for example bf3 i got it on release and haven't regret it. i plan on buying gta V and borderlands 2 on release aswell. other games i have ignored is since i havnt complete the earlier games of the series. when assassian creed brotherhood came out i got like 8 months after release and it was like patch version 2. something lol i still havnt even got my hands on revelations and AC3 coming out soon. there just to many games and i dont have the time to play them all. if it a game im really anticipating i would get it. as much as i want to get mass effect 3 i havnt even finished number 1 and 2 so why waste my time getting new one on release.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Highest MP population? Sure it will, but if the game isn't complete shit. You won't run into a population issue for many years. So I disagree.
    metal gear online

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast