Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Why I Don't Buy Games At Launch

This is a discussion on Why I Don't Buy Games At Launch within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Thank you thank you thank you for putting this up. I should have done this a while back. Never never ...

MK Plat = Overrated

Thank you thank you thank you for putting this up. I should have done this a while back. Never never never buy DLCs. They get enough of my money when I do buy it. Also, I almost never buy games that are less than a year old. Too damn expensive. I have NEVER bought a game for more than $25. I've gotten really good titles for less than $10 even. Patience really pays off. I have other stuff way more important to pay off than a video game habit.

Every title I have bought, I have really enjoyed. There are way too many older games out there that are good to pay $60 for one that just came out. I don't care if I am really interested in a game or it's a "must have" on my list. I will still wait for it to drop. Like Heavy Rain. It's still $30. Fuck that. I'll wait for it to be $20 or less or find a used copy. Just not worth it.

Edit: I don't think I'd even buy games at launch even if I was a millionaire. Just the principle of the matter.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    Thx for resting my case and reassuring everything I've said. I'll post the link you sent.

After four years of service, Konami has announced it is shutting down the online component of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Online as an entity will close in waves, as detailed in official timeline from Konami below including the chance to get expansion packs and other rewards for free.

March 21st 2012 16:00 (JST) (2am central daylight time)

• Closure of MGO Online Shop.
    April 24th 2012 18:00 (JST) (4am central daylight time)
    (Note: Registration for new player characters will not be available during this time)

• Expansion packs and Preset Codec Message Appeal Packs will be available for free download.
    • Reward shop equipment will be available for free. (* With the exception of "non-sale" items.)
    June 12th 2012 23:59 (JST) (9:59am central daylight time)

• End of online service
    Read the first sentence. 4 Years of service. That's a great run for an old game, and if you didn't get your fix the past 4 years, that's no one's fault but your own. The game has been $20 for what, 3 1/2 years now? There is no explanation to WHY they are taking the servers down. Just looks like Konami is moving on to their next big project, maybe another MGO down the road? But either way. 4 years for a konami game is pretty good. Their DDR servers barely lasted a year before they dropped support for the games.

So... Give a better example please. One where the game's servers were either dead or ended a month after it was released, say like The Punisher, or Cellfactor: Psychokinetic wars. Those games never had a chance even though they were decent FPS'ers.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    So... Give a better example please. One where the game's servers were either dead or ended a month after it was released, say like The Punisher, or Cellfactor: Psychokinetic wars. Those games never had a chance even though they were decent FPS'ers.
    brink (Pc version) is the first thing that pops off my head

hell if i got enough time i can compile a big list, too bad i am half asleep right now

also there's tons of games that did not get major updates recently that still stand (Counter strike and half Life are good examples)

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    brink (Pc version) is the first thing that pops off my head

also there's tons of games that did not get major updates recently that still stand (Counter strike and half Life are good examples)
    I have brink, but never bothered to play it since I have a ton of games just sitting on my shelf. But why mention CS or HL? I asked for games that never stood a chance and ended shortly after release. Not games that still have people playing them... Which is funny, I don't know why CS still has players... That game was boring before and after Valve bought it out.

But I can see why you could pile a big list of PC games. There are thousands of PC games that people develop that never go anywhere.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have over 40 games and only have pre-ordered two (Assassin's Creed II and Modern Warfare 3) It depends how bad I want it; I usually read, watch trailers and if I think it'll be a good game I get it at launch. If not I wait till I can either afford it or whenever I get bored and want a new game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123