Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dark Souls Sequel announced, Director utters the words of death for any game series

This is a discussion on Dark Souls Sequel announced, Director utters the words of death for any game series within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Dark Souls sequel confirmed | Games industry news | MCV Developer From Software has assured fans that there will be ...

INTJ

Dark Souls Sequel announced, Director utters the words of death for any game series

Dark Souls sequel confirmed | Games industry news | MCV

Developer From Software has assured fans that there will be a follow up to cult hit Dark Souls.

The 2011 game was itself a spiritual successor - rather than a direct sequel - to the popular Demon's Souls. Both games have gathered a strong following thanks to its notoriously challenging gameplay.

"Of course, it's not over yet," From Software's R&D head Masanori Takeuchi told GameTrailers.

"We've always been enamoured by dark fantasy action RPGs. That's just been our core DNA and I think we'll continue to utilise that."
    And the studio's executive producer Eiichi Nakajima adds that the team will be aiming for a much wider audience next time around.

"We've always been about making games for the core gamer, and they weren't necessarily games that did well financially, which is too bad," he said.

"The success of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, which have each sold over a million [units] per title worldwide, has made us shift our thinking internally to not just core gamers, but to globalise our products, that they can be successful on a worldwide scale.
    "That's now one of the key pillars we consider when we develop games in the future."

And the studio's executive producer Eiichi Nakajima adds that the team will be aiming for a much wider audience next time around.

well any potential this game series had is now dead because of that one sentence.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    well any potential this game series had is now dead because of that one sentence.

Thats what happens when game compainies get greedy

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

Nice to know you have an informed, logical, level-headed view of the situation.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
    Nice to know you have an informed, logical, level-headed view of the situation.
    appealing to a wider audience is the death of game series

see dragon age 2, call of duty, Anything EA Pumps out (few rare exceptions), etc.

leave niche games niche, make new game ips if you want casual idiots

Legend...Nuff Said

Then don't buy the game. Simple as that.
    Appealing to a wider audience, without even knowing what the new game will look like, and saying its the death of a series is idiotic and ignorant.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Kiwi Defender

I'm very skeptical about this. The whole idea of DS and FgtS was to make a game for hardcore gamers who enjoy challenges. Aiming for a wider audience will result in them dumbing them down.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Regional Manager of War

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I'm very skeptical about this. The whole idea of DS and FgtS was to make a game for hardcore gamers who enjoy challenges. Aiming for a wider audience will result in them dumbing them down.
    That's true and not true at the same time. Look at Ninja Gaiden they dumbed down the gameplay for the Sigma series to acquire a bigger audience and its still a challenging game, no where near the difficulty of the original on the Xbox but it's still hard.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Awesome91 View Post
    That's true and not true at the same time. Look at Ninja Gaiden they dumbed down the gameplay for the Sigma series to acquire a bigger audience and its still a challenging game, no where near the difficulty of the original on the Xbox but it's still hard.
    Difference here being that Ninja Gaiden is way harder than DS/FgtS, and that as far as I know, they only reduced the amount of enemies you encountered.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Difference here being that Ninja Gaiden is way harder than DS/FgtS, and that as far as I know, they only reduced the amount of enemies you encountered.
    and they increased the health of the enemies, and they reduced the speed of their attacks. In the original NG2, enemies threw kunai bombs at you like every second. In NGS2, they were kinda slow, but took longer to kill and there were less of them.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well, the fact that they said they wanted to attract a wider audience ruined my day (night?).

Lvl 1 - Bronze

More souls!!! ��

Lvl 7 - Gold

After the two amazing games they put out people are willing to write them off because of [email protected]#king amazing. Even if the game is a bit easier that doesn't mean it won't have the exceptional quality that they're known for. I guess now that the ME3 drama is over(ish) gamers need something new to complain about.
    Me personally, I couldn't be more excited to see another Souls game coming out!!

PRO Member

see dragon age 2, call of duty, Anything EA Pumps out (few rare exceptions), etc.

I happen to agree, but I'll reserve judgement until I see something of it. I hope that they keep the same type of difficulty curve and gameplay.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

This is the news I've been waiting for! MORE SOULS!!!

Im not surprised alot of people are worried about "a wider audience" as this does often mean the dumbing down of a game & making it easier so that a wider audience can "apparently" enjoy the game as well....

I for one am not (yet) convinced that this will be the case. When they mention "a wider audience" who's to say that they don't mean more formats such as the petitioned pc version & the possibility of ps vita, tablet & smart-phone versions to which they've already admitted to being interested in trying for the series.... This could be the "wider audience" to which they are reffering to. Also when they mention "globalising their products" this sounds like more countries could get the next souls game, this could also be what they mean by "a wider audience" as well....

Ultimately if the next souls game is made ALOT easier...... Well it wouldn't be a souls game anymore would it???? From software should know this better than anyone!!! So for now I'm gonna show faith in from software to do the right thing by the next game, as all of the fears for dark souls being ruined as it would also be available for Xbox were unfounded.

I hope I'm right but I think it'll be the same fantastic souls series that we all love so much, except it will release on more formats & in more countries.

I do have one wish though..... GLOBAL SERVERS NEXT TIME PLEEEAASE!!!!!

Lvl 5 - Silver

Well I just cant wait to see what they got in store!

PRO Member

You're talking about extremes even... And using game's whose issues aren't implictly related to the design choice of a wider audience. DA2's problems, for example, have NOTHING to do with them choosing to break the story and gameplay away from DAO and out to a wider audience. DA2's problems stem from the fact that they did 3 stories poorly and abstracted their classes too much (i.e. your class choices didn't mean much in the game).

There are plenty of games that appeal to wide audiences yet still are very good in the views of both the casual public and the true gamer: Portal 2, LBP, RE4, ME2, GTA4, Uncharted, every Nintendo IP...

My point is you are still speaking from a narrow-minded view pre-determined to dislike the game.

Niche games are niche, but wider audience != casual/everybody game.

Wider audience can be something that is just without context, so Dark Souls 2 does something like ME2 does where you don't need to have played the previous game to enjoy it. Wider audience could mean they are going to do what Dark Souls did and not have an exclusive (so maybe its a 360/Wii U/PS3/PC game). Wider audience may be the exact same core gameplay but maybe there is only one or 4 starting classes instead of what there are now... Etc, etc, etc.
    Gauss's Piracy Uncertainty Principle: When you pirate a game, that act inherently changes the results of what is to come after your pirating. You can't make any statement with any certainty regarding what would have happened had you not pirated the game.

Gauss's Rating Rationale:
    0-1: A game whose very existence is abhorrent to all things creative and intelligent.
    2-4: A just plain bad game.
    5-6: A game that has alot of mistakes, but is atleast playable and has some enjoyable sections. Good for a rent.
    7: An average game, should be played at some point
    8: A good game, should buy at some point
    9: A great game, day-one purchase
    10: A game that goes above and beyond the generation, its transcendent.

Negator

Let's see...they alienated a niche audience when going from Demon's Souls to Dark Souls, and they're doing it again?

Yeah, I'm done with this franchise...fuck 'em.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

@ gauss
    just wanna say that I'm loving your jabba the mut pic!!! LOL

@ helyx
    What in the world are you on about, "alienated"??? I'm a huge demons souls fan & I wasn't dissapointed & especially alienated in any way by dark souls at all. IT WAS EPIC!!! Please don't say "because they put it on Xbox & it's not exclusive anymore!" as that pathetic excuse for a shitty attitude is already over-used by childish brats who just wanna slag someone off even if they have delivered two very good games for them in a row!! So please help us all understand where you're coming from, as I can't understand how you can feel alienated by a sequel to a game, especially before ANYTHING official has been announced.....

By all means though feel free to blow the franchise out, as the ONLY person you will hurt or deprive is yourself!!! LOL

Resident Deadhead

jeezus, another thread, another narrow minded uneducated opinion.

thanks again dude...
    I Grew up a Fuckin Screw-Up, Got introduced to the Game, got an ounce and Fuckin Blew Up.

Only the Good Die Young, so I'll be here Awhile

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Pride78 View Post
    What in the world are you on about, "alienated"??? I'm a huge demons souls fan & I wasn't dissapointed & especially alienated in any way by dark souls at all. IT WAS EPIC!!! Please don't say "because they put it on Xbox & it's not exclusive anymore!" as that pathetic excuse for a shitty attitude is already over-used by childish brats who just wanna slag someone off even if they have delivered two very good games for them in a row!! So please help us all understand where you're coming from, as I can't understand how you can feel alienated by a sequel to a game, especially before ANYTHING official has been announced.....

By all means though feel free to blow the franchise out, as the ONLY person you will hurt or deprive is yourself!!! LOL
    I could go on for hours about how inferior Dark Souls was to Demon's Souls, but it seems like you wouldn't be able to comprehend no matter how extensively I explained.

With more hours in Demon's Souls than you've probably had across all current-generation games combined, I think I'm more than qualified to state my opinion...I just don't feel like justifying it to you when I've poured paragraph after paragraph across this forum about the game.

In any case, I hope you enjoy the game you're blindly defending (when you haven't seen any information on it either) when it finally releases. In the future, you should think twice before directly confronting someone on their opinions.

...oh, and welcome to the forum.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast