So I just got YLOD, I got a few questions....

This is a discussion on So I just got YLOD, I got a few questions.... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My ps3 that I bought when they first came out (an old 'chunky' 40gb) just got YLOD. We've had some ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

So I just got YLOD, I got a few questions....

My ps3 that I bought when they first came out (an old 'chunky' 40gb) just got YLOD. We've had some good innings so I'm looking at getting a new one (slim) I just have some questions:

1) Can I get the game that I was playing out as it won't turn on?

2) I had put in a harddrive (about 3 years ago). Can I just put this straight into my new one and get the stuff off it? If not anyway I can get the stuff off?

3) When I link the new ps3 up to my psn account can I get the stuff I downloaded again?

4) Is it worth trying to get this one fixed or just get a new one? (i'm in UK btw and have had it 5 odd years)

Sorry if this is in the wrong place

PRO Member

I would personallyjust get a new one. From what I understand your trophies and everything that you have downloaded are safe, but all the saved data on your hardrive is gone, unless you saved it on a flashdrive. And for the game stuck inside, you better have some tools to take the ps3 apart. I am sorry to hear this and hope that you get a new PS3 asap.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 2 - Bronze

For #1-3 the answer is yes I THINK. I had YLOD on my old launch model a year or so ago, and to get the game out all I had to do was take it apart. I could be wrong about the harddrive part (judging on what the guy above me said), but I swear that after my brother and I fixed ours the saved data was all still there. Could be wrong about that one though.

Downloaded games can still be re-downloaded, pretty easy stuff. And from my personal experience, just get a new PS3! My launch model one actually got YLOD again a few months after it was fixed, so I'd just get a new slim if I were you. It may suck yes, but if you can get a sweet price on your slim (like I did), it's certainly worth it. Mine came with triple the amount of hard drive space and two games (albeit sucky ones ) for only $150.

Very nice sig by In2, thank you very much!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Dude just search YLOD on YouTube and fix it yourself. I had YLOD and fixed it in less than a hour. I've had no problems since then and its been almost 2 years since I fixed it.

IF YOU NEED TROPHY HELP JUST ASK ME. DO NOT SEND A BLANK FRIEND REQUEST

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by weeztha View Post
    Dude just search YLOD on YouTube and fix it yourself. I had YLOD and fixed it in less than a hour. I've had no problems since then and its been almost 2 years since I fixed it.
    I've looked into but I don't have any of the stuff needed (or know anyone with a heat gun). Is it really easy to do then?

PRO Member

what model PS3 do you have guessing it's one of the Fat models, but is it the 40GB/60GB or is it the 80GB? if it's the 80GB you can get your disc out by running a fan test, not too good at explaining how to do it but I'll try...
    basically what you do is hold down the powerbutton, let the system powerup, beep a couple of times and then power off without letting go of the power button. Then hold down the eject button, and do the previous step again, releasing the power button after the fast double beep (after the initial powerup beep) it should run the fan test, which will eject your disc before going YLOD then blinking red light. if you have a launch style system (40GB/60GB) you won't be able to run the fan test and then your only option is to take apart the system and open up the blueray drive, or look up "PS3 repair" in your area on the web, there's a couple of people and shops that probably advertise reflows (the most common fix for YLOD, unless your powersupply died) and whatnot. Their prices vary from location to location, but are usually average about half the price of a sony repair, and if you're lucky they'll be certified by sony to fix the system.
    I'm sorry for your loss, happened to me about a week ago as well, and went the repair shop route as even though I've reflowed a friend's system successfully, I didn't trust myself to do it on my own system. they repaired it in 3 hours, and then I quick got a new system and ran a data transfer from my 60GB to my new slim.
    Hope this helps you out.

PS if you're gonna do your own reflow, get artic silver thermal compound and make sure you get a heatgun that can go about 700 F (about $20 on amazon.com, or $30-40 at sears)

Awesome sig by
    Kid420247! Thank you so much!!!

Many thanks to RaveNScythe18
    for the awesome platcard!!!

My Trophy List
    : Click Here

Change is mediocre

#1: You can get the game out by doing the fan trick (look on youtube) that I think only a 40gb does.
    #2: Since you put in a new hardrive, you should be able to take that out and place it into the new ps3.
    #3: Yes, the downloaded content are on your account, not the ps3 so you can go to your download on the store on your new ps3 and re-download all of your stuff (if you don't have your old hardrive in there).
    #4: Yes, I fully encourage you to get a new one as they are a lot better with YLOD. It would cost half the price to get it fixed, but it would end up getting YLOD again anyway, so don't bother wasting a bunch of money on fixing it and go to a new one.

PRO Member

tough break on the ylod but we all get them on the old systems these days they just cant handle the new games.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by ogmonster View Post
    Yes. It will take MANY attempts, but turn the console off with the rear switch, then turn it back on and use the EJECT button instead of the power button to turn the console on. Once it powers on, repeatedly press the eject button. Eventually, the disc *WILL* eject.

2) I had put in a harddrive (about 3 years ago). Can I just put this straight into my new one and get the stuff off it? If not anyway I can get the stuff off?
    No. When you put the HDD into a new console, it will immediately request a format of the drive.

There's no way to retrieve the data from the drive without fixing the console. Once fixed, you can put the data on a USB drive or simply do a data transfer to another PS3.

3) When I link the new ps3 up to my psn account can I get the stuff I downloaded again?
    Yes, you can re-download all your content and re-sync all your trophies.

4) Is it worth trying to get this one fixed or just get a new one?
    Fixing a YLoD (re-flow) is pretty inexpensive, and can be done yourself in about an hour. It's generally only done so as a temporary fix however. The 'proper' method of fixing the YLoD (re-ball) is quite time consuming and requires specific equipment which most people don't have access to.

You're probably better off buying a Slim though, but be aware that PS4 will be available in the next 2 years.
    Last edited by DarkFox's Piss Bucket; 03-11-2012 at 03:38 PM.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

feel sorry for ya bro i have 2 originals still working *knock on wood...but i would send it away and pay the money to keep the originals because the slims suck and get ylod just as much

Lvl 7 - Gold

Sorry for your loss. Just get a new one, that's the best you can do.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by xRu5TyxTriGGax View Post
    i would send it away and pay the money to keep the originals because the slims suck and get ylod just as much
    No, they certainly do not.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks for all the info guys, I have rep'd you all!

I'm still coming to terms with my loss tbh!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Yea id reccomend to try and fix it yourself or just get a new/used slim model

Lvl 9 - Gold

My ps3 that I bought when they first came out (an old 'chunky' 40gb) just got YLOD. We've had some good innings so I'm looking at getting a new one (slim) I just have some questions:

4) Is it worth trying to get this one fixed or just get a new one? (i'm in UK btw and have had it 5 odd years)

Sorry if this is in the wrong place
    #1 Depends what model you have. Not sure if yours will or won't. But read #4.

#2 You won't be able to get the stuff off of it by doing that. But you can use your new HD. You'd have to fix up your YLOD ps3 to get the stuff off of it.

#3 Yes. Everything is tied to your PSN/SEN account.

#4 Yes, definitely. Fix it yourself though. It's extremely easy, and cheap. If you have someone else do it you'll be charged an arm and a leg. You can get a heat gun from Ebay for $17-20. Thermal Compound for $3-10 depending where you go. And just watch youtube vids. Very fast, very easy, and you'll have a temp fix to get all your stuff off your ps3 within 2 hours.

Now like I said though. This is a temp fix. But to make the temp fix last awhile(almost permanent). Buy a 9 inch box fan to stick on the side of your ps3 with the case opened up completely. I've fixed my YLOD and used the trick described in the last sentence. It's been 2 years with 0 problems.

The problem is, the fat model looks sweet but it was not built correctly or very smart... It's nothing but a microwave in that case. So there are quite a few temp fixes. But the only real permanent one is to ditch the black case and cover, and build your own ps3 case from scratch. So if you want to make it a more permanent fix... You'll have to invest some money into a new case, a cooling unit, possibly reballing, etc. GL and have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by xRu5TyxTriGGax View Post
    but i would send it away and pay the money to keep the originals because the slims suck and get ylod just as much
    O.o... What kind of crack are you smoking? Besides 1 member on here that said they got a YLOD on a slim. I've never heard of a single person or account of a slim getting a YLOD yet.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Final Fantasy XIV Guru

Minarum's answer is great. I just want to say that if you crack the system open to get your disc you wont be able to get Sony to fix it since it will void your warrenty. Also fix it yourself, please. I had mine fixed by them twice before most people really knew what YLOD was. (Mine failed within a year of the release :/ ) The fact that I said twice tells you all you need to know. Their fix will get you the same result as a Youtube fix you get you. Also if you are going to send it off for any reason do the fan test, if you can, to get your disc, because Sony doesn't guarantee you will get your disc back. :/

Signature created by: DaRe_xLw

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Yo dude. My PS3 YLOD'd 2 weeks ago, so I suggest you check the thread I started so you could get a few answers to your questions!

Sorry for your loss sir! I hope you had a PS+ account OR your games saved to a thumbstick, or elose, you're f***ed.

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ge...ght=launch+day

Good luck!