Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Capcom stop it

This is a discussion on Capcom stop it within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda But Pokemon doesn't upgrade just a single game 3 times in less than a year.... Plus ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    But Pokemon doesn't upgrade just a single game 3 times in less than a year....
    Plus Pokemon games don't have a useless ton of DLC.
    Capcom is annoying because they don't even let a game settle before they're releasing it again with a different name.

If they would only release Sengoku Basara Utage in the West...now that's an improvement.
    As long as games like Asura's Wrath, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Dragons Dogma etc. etc. are still being released along side of the rereleases then who cares. It's not like they're sacrificing other (in my opinion) awesome games and franchises to make these rehashes. People who bought the original MvC3 have a reason to be put-off but beyond that it's really not that big of a deal. According to most of the responses I'm reading here it's not a surprise to anyone so they should know the risk they're taking when buying a Capcom fighter... Oh wait, that would mean some of the blame would be put on them and we all KNOW that can't happen.

worlds biggest welch fan

punch block punch block spam attack spam attack.

There easy games to make and it doesn't cost capcom that much to make.
    that's a lot of SF yo. over and out
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

illegal in 9 countries

Capcom is annoying because they don't even let a game settle before they're releasing it again with a different name.

If they would only release Sengoku Basara Utage in the West...now that's an improvement.
    The only reason we don't see multiple Pokemons within the same year (except concurrent releases of the same fucking game) is because there is almost zero competition on Nintendo platforms. The top sellers remain top sellers for months or years, unlike games on competing consoles.

Capcom is simply extending the shelf life of their games by releasing minor updates. Its a perfectly valid business strategy to maximize their ROI - games need to frontload their cashflow within a period of weeks from release before being bumped by the next big thing. Failure to do so means doom for the studio and a quick exit to the bargain bin.

By releasing new versions of effectively the same game, new buyers feel like they get better bang for their buck and existing players get a fresh injection of content. If that pisses off some users who feel forced to upgrade or feel ripped-off because they miss out on the new toons, then as they say in Soviet Russia, tough shitski.

The updated versions tend to be cheaper than the initial release and are positioned more as expansions than new games in their own rights. You don't see many expansions these days, but in the days or yore, it was commonplace.

As always, vote with your wallets. Sooner or later if a marketing strategy stops bearing fruit, they switch to a different model. The upside is this version appears to be available as both a retail game and as DLC. That approach should go a long way to making everyone a happy little Vegemite.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    So it's ok for Pokemon to add a few new monsters and call it a new game, but it's not ok for other franchises to do the same? The irony is palpable.
    not when you release the same game 3 times within a fucking year

Capcom is simply extending the shelf life of their games by releasing minor updates. Its a perfectly valid business strategy to maximize their ROI - games need to frontload their cashflow within a period of weeks from release before being bumped by the next big thing. Failure to do so means doom for the studio and a quick exit to the bargain bin.

so why not do it team fortress 2 style? Where you give gamers the content for free and everyone is happy?

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    happy little Vegemite.

The best sentance in this whole thread

Sig by Apokolypz

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    so why not do it team fortress 2 style? Where you give gamers the content for free and everyone is happy?
    Because unlike every other game on the planet, Valve makes $50 million a year by selling TF2 hats, so they can afford to dangle DLC carrots in front of their community who seem ever-eager to buy the next wonderhat. Unlike every other studio on the planet, Valve owns the most popular PC digital distribution channel with their own products featured front and centre - Valve does not need to compete for shelf space at retail. There's almost nothing that Valve does that can applied to the broader video game industry.

Don't forget they sold TF2 for 4 or 5 years before making it free to play. Valve well and truly made a profit and simply found a way to teach an old dog a new trick. The only reason they did it is because dumass gamers buy useless in-game shit if it's cheap enough. It has nothing to do with giving gamers free stuff and everything to do with selling cheap-to-produce crap by micro-transaction. Yes, buying hats is optional, you can craft them in-game, but if it didn't turn tens of millions in profits, Valve wouldn't do it.

Valve could make a tonne more cash by releasing map packs or adding new classes, to as Capcom put it "expand the experience", but they don't. Instead they stick to the same tired old map rotation with the occasional new map and the same tired old classes with the occasional meta-game adjustment. Where's the new content?

Where's the constant stream of new content for Half-Life 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 or even Portal 2, which promised loads of free DLC? Oh that's right...they don't have hats and Valve doesn't make games anymore, they make fucking hats! The only reason Ep 3 hasn't seen the light of day is because Gordon Freeman doesn't wear hats! No hats = no profit = no free stuff.

TF2 is a classic study into human behavioural analysis for the purposes of making money. Without the silly hat economy, the propensity for humans to desire objects few others possess and even greater desire to cut corners by paying for it, TF2's community would have died off to irrelevance long ago.

Valve's in a unique position with it's consumer behaviour data-mining capabilities, which allows them to easily experiment with different business models for each game to find out which yields the greatest return, and they can only do it because they own Steam.

In short, producing content larger than a new 3d hat, axe or gun model costs a lot of money. If you spend money making it, you need to make more money back or it's bad business, plain and simple. That's exactly what Valve does and Capcom's doing the same - different strategy, same outcome.

Ps360, get off your arse, get a job and learn how the real world works. You'll quickly find that there is no such thing as a free lunch. Everything Valve does, they do to make more money than they invest. Going free-to-play and playing dress-ups in TF2 is highly profitable, not an exercise in benevolence. Fool you for falling for it.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 03-10-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

If Capcom's hardcore fighter fanbase is putting out money to make these continued add-ons financially feasible, I see no problem with it. I know a few people who really enjoy this added content and look forward to it, so by all means, there is a market for it. I really have no problem with another version, or the time frame.

I'd go on a long diatribe, but ant pretty much covered all the points and examples that I could think of. Thanks ant!

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Doesn't make a difference how many they release - I'll still suck at the genre LOL.

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)

Game on....

You don't need all those street fighters!! You only need one and that is: Street Fighter II Turbo.

Lvl 7 - Gold

I can't believe "doctor_doom" (the member) didn't react to this yet....i think he's the biggest fan

Quartercircle Forward.

So, they are just going to re-release the previous game and just add 8 new characters? And it will probably sell at the usual full retail price?

Wow that sucks

Sigs & Beyond [Requests].
    Want a Sig/Banner/Avatar? Click here!

Giftage
    Thanks Guys! <3

deviantART
    Awesome Sig Gifted by Prosthetic. Epic avatar by Kid420247.

-My Soul Calibur V Match Thread!-

The Playboy Wikipedia

Street Fighter
    Street Fighter II
    Super Street Fighter II
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo Championship Edition
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Street Fighter EX
    Street Fighter III
    Street Fighter IV
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition
    Street Fighter x Tekken
    Tekken x Street Fighter (The diffrence between this one and the one above it is street fighter x tekken is made by capcom while tekken x street fighter is made by namco)
    You forgot to add Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 to that list. Same with Street Fighter 3: Online Edition.

I didn't get UMVC3, so I probably won't get this new game, UNLESS it features M. Bison and/or some characters from MVC2.
    Amanda Cerny - Playboy's Miss October 2011

Credit to Saul (from another site) for the sig!

PRO Member

Another one sheesh ...welll thats it from now on a aint buying no more fighting capcom games until the final one is released.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    You don't need all those street fighters!! You only need one and that is: Street Fighter II Turbo.
    Well, the only ones I need are Guilty Gear XX and Rival Schools, which makes me wonder why Capcom hasn't remade it yet, it's actually one of the best fighting games ever made...they should release Rival Schools HD instead of UMvC3X

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

PRO Member

F*cking really Capcom? Really?

Resident Evil is the only game I will buy from them... until they start releasing super mega ultra special limited edition's of RE.

Sig by - ~ Avatar by - DaRe

Zombie Killin' Business
    Are you a Professional Zombie Slayer? Join now!

Side Project
    My (incomplete) checklist, and trophy guides.

The GGA
    Sig Battles, SotW, SotM, and more!

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

NSFW

What PS360? Does that mean you don't want a EXTREME Super Ultra Marvel vs. Capcom X Mega Edition Turbo IV?

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SideEffect View Post
    F*cking really Capcom? Really?

Resident Evil is the only game I will buy from them... until they start releasing super mega ultra special limited edition's of RE.
    Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition... RE5 had ALL the content that RE5:GE has on the disc, but they had locked it out. It's fucking bullshit.
    I'd imagine it's the same for all these UMvC3 discs they've done, though I've never played them to know...

I'm dreading RE 6, because I wanted it pre-order, but I KNOW that there will be some sort of 'gold edition' bullshit for this too!
    fuck you capcom.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Mr. X

Quote Originally Posted by Nookie_Egg View Post
    Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition... RE5 had ALL the content that RE5:GE has on the disc, but they had locked it out. It's fucking bullshit.
    I'd imagine it's the same for all these UMvC3 discs they've done, though I've never played them to know...

I'm dreading RE 6, because I wanted it pre-order, but I KNOW that there will be some sort of 'gold edition' bullshit for this too!
    fuck you capcom.
    It's really just like a game of the year edition; all the DLC on it. I know it's bullshit that it's already on the disc but it's not as bad as all the re-releases of Street Fighter games that they do.

the sea. these earthless catcombs. our tombs they have become.

Resident PHD

Actually what Pokemon does is release the same game twice on the same day. Every Pokemon releases two versions on day 1 with slightly different Pokemon and then a year or 2 later releases another one that combines the other 2 together. How is that an acceptable practice?

Edit-Since 1995 here is a list of main story Pokemon games. This doesn't include all the spinoffs. That is 20 main story games in 17 years and these games are basically palette swaps with new pokemon and new gym badges and not a whole lot of innovation.
    Red
    Blue
    Yellow
    Gold
    Silver
    Crystal
    Ruby
    Sapphire
    Fire Red
    Leaf Green
    Emerald
    Diamond
    Pearl
    Platinum
    Heart Gold
    Soul Silver
    Black
    White
    Black 2
    White 2
    Last edited by dr_mayus; 03-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

PRO Member

it's marvel vs capcom

the 3 is from the logo
    UMvC3 was better than MvC3, I liked the mission mode more and being able to use x-factor in the air changed the gameplay a lot... but this is getting ridiculous!!

Sig by Smashguy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast