Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen?

This is a discussion on Paid Reviews: Critics or Conmen? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; All reviewers on major sites are payed for I think. Before the release of Mass Effect 3, there was no ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

All reviewers on major sites are payed for I think. Before the release of Mass Effect 3, there was no criticism about the ending except for a few minor reviews. I understand that not everybody is going to like or not like the ending, but they intentionally avoided it because they were paid to give it a good review (see: IGN, GameInformer, GameSpot, etc.).

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    All reviewers on major sites are payed for I think. Before the release of Mass Effect 3, there was no criticism about the ending except for a few minor reviews. I understand that not everybody is going to like or not like the ending, but they intentionally avoided it because they were paid to give it a good review (see: IGN, GameInformer, GameSpot, etc.).
    They are paid in some shape or form

in the form of Exclusive gaming gear (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo does this. But Nintendo's is the most creative (sending 10 foot subs and Fossil kit to dig for a DS game to review) and Sony's is one of the coolest (Giant themed game packs with tons of In-Universe Swag and art books))

Massive advertisements that turn into paychecks for reviewers

etc.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    I don't pay attention to paid* reviews. If I wanted feedback on a game, I'd ask friends who've played the games their opinion before I decide whether or not I want to spend my precious money on it.
    So you find out whether a reviewer was paid or not without reading the review .

Quote Originally Posted by Minarum View Post
    Why yes I did attend the school for the gifted and talented. It's not impossible demands. Which is why I say gameplay trailers and videos will put out the message about a game 10-100x better than any reviewer can. Specially if the person is being extremely biased. Ever since Youtube came out, I've based almost every purchase of games I WANT TO play off of gameplay vids, and I haven't been dissatisfied once. There have been too many great games out there that receive crappy reviews and scores that people religiously follow. Yet they'll turn around and praise the shittiest games that aren't worth a breath of life. Difference is, the shit keeps on produced shit, while the great rarely release games or a sequel.

And I just read the link, it's moronic because the guy is talking like a robot and being extremely sarcastic throughout the whole thing. But on a subjective level. it's one of the better reviews I've read in awhile, he just needs a little more details now and to include gameplay footage.

But yes. I agree with you on some people think one games graphics are superior and another game's graphics is crap. It's everyone's opinion. That's why you have to judge the game for yourself and not let others do it for you. Which is always my point. Nothing impossible about that, just don't read a review or let someone judge the game for you. Use your brain and think for yourself.
    Impossible demands are asking for all of them to be very objective, which is what you're asking for. Sure, some reviewers are more biased than others, but in the end, all of them are biased.

Also, basing an opinion from a video isn't very reliable. You won't have any idea of how well mapped or comfortable the controls are, so you'd be shooting to the stars, hoping for the best. Glad you've been lucky enough to never be disappointed though.

I've yet to see someone religiously follow a score, or a set of scores. Whether they take the review itself (which is the one that really matters, not the score) into account or not, doesn't mean they base every purchase or every decision around it and think a 6 means the end of the world.

Nothing wrong with using someone else's opinion as a reference, whether it is a friend's, or by someone you met on the internet. At the end, you may judge the game for yourself after playing it. Whether you want to 100% trust your friend's/the stranger's opinion or not is up to you, because at the end, everyone still thinks for themselves and thinks differently about a game, which is something you can't seem to understand.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

The One and Only

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    So you find out whether a reviewer was paid or not without reading the review .
    Stop asking smartass questions.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Kiwi Defender

Stop asking smartass questions.
    It's not a smartass question nor a smartass comment, you simply made no sense whatsoever.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Legend...Nuff Said

I've yet to see someone religiously follow a score, or a set of scores. Whether they take the review itself (which is the one that really matters, not the score) into account or not, doesn't mean they base every purchase or every decision around it and think a 6 means the end of the world.
    The problem is games are given awards based on those scores. What award has ever been given to a game that was given anything lower than an 8/8.5 from a plethora of those websites. IGN gave Portal 2 game of the year...thats all well and good but we know anything lower than a 9 from that site won't give it an award.
    You might argue that the awards are subjective or the argument of 'who cares'? Gaming companies will take those 'awards' and put them on the box or in advertisements to help garner sales.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

The One and Only

It's not a smartass question nor a smartass comment, you simply made no sense whatsoever.
    I did make some sense, but since you decided to pay attention to one word out of the 38 of my previous post, which that one word was not part of the point I was coming across, I called you a smartass for trying to act like the smartest person in the world. Since you failed to catch what the main idea of those two sentences, let me show it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by My Previous Post
    I don't pay attention to paid reviews. If I wanted feedback on a game, I'd ask friends who've played the games their opinion before I decide whether or not I want to spend my precious money on it.
    That's all I was saying in that post, yet you decide, "Oh DaRe made one little mistake in his post. Let me show everyone I have the longest e-peen and ding him for it ."

Sure, I may not know if a review is paid or not, but one thing's for sure is that asking my friends how a game is like is not coming out of my wallet while there's a chance people get paid to review a game and submit it to the Internet (you know, websites?). But that's not the point of that post. I was only saying (I'm repeating it again to make sure you caught it) that I only ask friends for their opinions on the game.

So yeah, get out of my face Nagflar.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    The problem is games are given awards based on those scores. What award has ever been given to a game that was given anything lower than an 8/8.5 from a plethora of those websites. IGN gave Portal 2 game of the year...thats all well and good but we know anything lower than a 9 from that site won't give it an award.
    You might argue that the awards are subjective or the argument of 'who cares'? Gaming companies will take those 'awards' and put them on the box or in advertisements to help garner sales.
    Well, the games tha receive the awards are those that are praised the most, for they are (supposedly) the best ones, hence the high ratings they get, but that's not my point. My point is people pay too much attention to the score and not enough to the review itself. Take for example Gauss' FFXIII-2 review, and how many people went bananas about the score, but most of the few who actually read through it found it to be more than reasonable and agreed with the score it was given due to the way he worded his thoughts. This, and more examples (that happen to be more reviews by Gauss and Curb), lead me to believe that if people paid more attention to the review itself and not the score, we wouldn't be having so much issues with reviews as we are nowadays.

I did make some sense, but since you decided to pay attention to one word out of the 38 of my previous post, which that one word was not part of the point I was coming across, I called you a smartass for trying to act like the smartest person in the world. Since you failed to catch what the main idea of those two sentences, let me show it to you.

That's all I was saying in that post, yet you decide, "Oh DaRe made one little mistake in his post. Let me show everyone I have the longest e-peen and ding him for it ."

Sure, I may not know if a review is paid or not, but one thing's for sure is that asking my friends how a game is like is not coming out of my wallet while there's a chance people get paid to review a game and submit it to the Internet (you know, websites?). But that's not the point of that post. I was only saying (I'm repeating it again to make sure you caught it) that I only ask friends for their opinions on the game.

So yeah, get out of my face Nagflar.
    I guess you didn't get what I meant, then.

Yes, you clearly typed 38 words, out of which I disregarded all the ones after "I don't pay attention to paid reviews" and decided to only reply to those 7 words. Maybe you would've understood had I deleted all the other ones, but it's a little too late for that.

What I meant is, how can you know which reviews are paid without even looking at them? Do they e-mail you the invoice in which it says they were paid to give a socre below/above x/10, or what? How can you know who was paid to review what game without even checking the god damn thing out? That's what I meant, not that you don't know how to type "paid", just decided to fix that little error for you.

Yeah, and I never argued about you being able to ask your friend how good/bad the game was, did I? I only mentioned the reviews.

Would (example) EA pay John Doe, owner of an unknown website, to give his game a 9/10, when he has little to no following and isn't taken as seriously as IGN, Destructoid, Game Informer, and a very few others? No, right? Yeah, exactly. You can't know who was paid (nor if anyone was paid, for that matter) to say what, regardless of how popular/unknown the reviewer/website/magazine is. For all you know, X reviewer from IGN may be the same thing you are: a 15 year old who likes games and happens to love to talk about them. Will him saying NFS: The Run is worthy of a 10/10 because he liked it that much and felt it deserved said score mean that he was paid? No.

And I got it, which is why I never even argued about that, in case you missed me typing that a few paragraphs above.

Toggle Spoiler

The One and Only

I guess you didn't get what I meant, then.

Yes, you clearly typed 38 words, out of which I disregarded all the ones after "I don't pay attention to paid reviews" and decided to only reply to those 7 words. Maybe you would've understood had I deleted all the other ones, but it's a little too late for that.

What I meant is, how can you know which reviews are paid without even looking at them? Do they e-mail you the invoice in which it says they were paid to give a socre below/above x/10, or what? How can you know who was paid to review what game without even checking the god damn thing out? That's what I meant, not that you don't know how to type "paid", just decided to fix that little error for you.

Yeah, and I never argued about you being able to ask your friend how good/bad the game was, did I? I only mentioned the reviews.

Would (example) EA pay John Doe, owner of an unknown website, to give his game a 9/10, when he has little to no following and isn't taken as seriously as IGN, Destructoid, Game Informer, and a very few others? No, right? Yeah, exactly. You can't know who was paid (nor if anyone was paid, for that matter) to say what, regardless of how popular/unknown the reviewer/website/magazine is. For all you know, X reviewer from IGN may be the same thing you are: a 15 year old who likes games and happens to love to talk about them. Will him saying NFS: The Run is worthy of a 10/10 because he liked it that much and felt it deserved said score mean that he was paid? No.

And I got it, which is why I never even argued about that, in case you missed me typing that a few paragraphs above.
    Let me do what you did to my post then. I'll disregard everything that isn't bolded okay?

If you're going to call someone their age, at least know how old someone is unless you're talking about their maturity, in this case it looks like you're talking about my actual age, which isn't 15 years old.

It doesn't matter what they say, they're not my friends, so I'm not going to listen to them. There are paid reviews and they are on the Internet somewhere. Whether they are or not, I don't look at them, so that means I am not paying attention to paid reviews, even if I don't know if they are or not. Maybe I should've clarified that earlier.

Side question: Do you really think I like the Run enough to give it a 10/10? I wrote the trophy guide for it and it's DLC and got the for the game, but that doesn't mean I like it enough to give it a 10/10. Nice try though.

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Get bent...

Personally, I don't even listen to reviews at all.

Not even from friends. Especially not from 'professional' reviewers.

I'm my own critic.
    What happens to CoD players when they try to play Dark Souls...

Formerly known as Tyrion619

Kiwi Defender

Let me do what you did to my post then. I'll disregard everything that isn't bolded okay?

If you're going to call someone their age, at least know how old someone is unless you're talking about their maturity, in this case it looks like you're talking about my actual age, which isn't 15 years old.

It doesn't matter what they say, they're not my friends, so I'm not going to listen to them. There are paid reviews and they are on the Internet somewhere. Whether they are or not, I don't look at them, so that means I am not paying attention to paid reviews, even if I don't know if they are or not. Maybe I should've clarified that earlier.

Side question: Do you really think I like the Run enough to give it a 10/10? I wrote the trophy guide for it and it's DLC and got the for the game, but that doesn't mean I like it enough to give it a 10/10. Nice try though.
    I don't know your age, I was just giving an example lol. And it wasn't an example based around maturity, for that's not something you can tell from talking to someone on the interwebz. If you want me to, though, you may provide me with your actual age and I'll edit that unto my post.

Yeah, that would've saved us both a lot of time. If you disregard reviews as a whole, say so, don't say you just disregard paid ones.

No, I don't. I know nothing about the game except the name (and that some hot models make cameo appeareances), and I've never even seen you post about it (wasn't aware that you wrote the trophy guide or that it had DLC, either). I just know you like NFS and decided to use the most recent entry as an example.

Toggle Spoiler

Noob Member

So, what websites do you think are reliable in terms of their reviews? (except ps3trophies.com of course )

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by kianstrike View Post
    So, what websites do you think are reliable in terms of their reviews? (except ps3trophies.com of course )
    None. Period.

Not even this site.

Maybe as guidelines....but you need to think for yourself and be your own judge. Don't let other people's opinions, paid or otherwise, influence your choices.

The One and Only

I don't know your age, I was just giving an example lol. And it wasn't an example based around maturity, for that's not something you can tell from talking to someone on the interwebz. If you want me to, though, you may provide me with your actual age and I'll edit that unto my post.

Yeah, that would've saved us both a lot of time. If you disregard reviews as a whole, say so, don't say you just disregard paid ones.

No, I don't. I know nothing about the game except the name (and that some hot models make cameo appeareances), and I've never even seen you post about it (wasn't aware that you wrote the trophy guide or that it had DLC, either). I just know you like NFS and decided to use the most recent entry as an example.
    Eh, at least now we're both on the same page, so this is where all the fighting stops at last.

DaRe's Journey of Art

DaRe's Adventures v5.20

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Kiwi Defender

Eh, at least now we're both on the same page, so this is where all the fighting stops at last.
    No fight happened though, just an argument among friends .

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja-In-A-Tree View Post
    None. Period.

Not even this site.

Maybe as guidelines....but you need to think for yourself and be your own judge. Don't let other people's opinions, paid or otherwise, influence your choices.
    Reviews shouldn't be used as anything else. That's their porpose and their reason to be, it's mindless morons who only focus on scores that make it seem the other way around.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 9 - Gold

(1)Impossible demands are asking for all of them to be very objective, which is what you're asking for. Sure, some reviewers are more biased than others, but in the end, all of them are biased.

(2)Also, basing an opinion from a video isn't very reliable. You won't have any idea of how well mapped or comfortable the controls are, so you'd be shooting to the stars, hoping for the best. Glad you've been lucky enough to never be disappointed though.

(3)I've yet to see someone religiously follow a score, or a set of scores. Whether they take the review itself (which is the one that really matters, not the score) into account or not, doesn't mean they base every purchase or every decision around it and think a 6 means the end of the world.

(4)Nothing wrong with using someone else's opinion as a reference, whether it is a friend's, or by someone you met on the internet. At the end, you may judge the game for yourself after playing it. Whether you want to 100% trust your friend's/the stranger's opinion or not is up to you, because at the end, everyone still thinks for themselves and thinks differently about a game, which is something you can't seem to understand.
    #1, It's not impossible demands but that's not the point of my argument even though I agree with you.

#2, true to an extent. How sticky or clunky the controls are is the only concern I'd see with relying on a video, but watching a handful. You should be able to figure it out by the smoothness or roughness. Other than that, It's extremely reliable. Just don't watch too much or you'll spoil the game...

#3, there have been countless accounts here where people say. Oh the game got bad reviews, I'm not going to touch it. It happens ALL the time IRL, here, everywhere. Even sales clerks at your retail store will sway you to pick up a certain game and avoid others. I deal with it all the time.

#4, and I agree with you. My whole point from day one and even in post one was that people need to judge a game for themselves instead of following reviews or opinions of others. Which is why I don't read reviews. Specially when the reviewers can't even get the right genre of game down.... Funny shit.

I'm my own critic.
    Which is the point I've made for many years now.
    August 2011 Trophy Competition Winner

Legendary...Nuff Said

I'm my own critic.
    None. Period.

Not even this site.

See, the problem with these statements here are that you cannot be your own critic without trying a game. In that, who in their right minds would blindly spend $60 to buy a game without hearing what others think of it first?

And there is the logic to why people do and should read reviews. There's nothing wrong with forming your own opinion about a game, hell, you will end up doing so whether you want to or not, but there generally needs to be some sort of influence to go and get a game, and that's where a review comes in to play.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Get bent...

Quote Originally Posted by JackAttack View Post
    See, the problem with these statements here are that you cannot be your own critic without trying a game. In that, who in their right minds would blindly spend $60 to buy a game without hearing what others think of it first?

And there is the logic to why people do and should read reviews. There's nothing wrong with forming your own opinion about a game, hell, you will end up doing so whether you want to or not, but there generally needs to be some sort of influence to go and get a game, and that's where a review comes in to play.
    Of course, this would have to come from someone on the review team.

However, your own logic is flawed.

Examples:

A) Borrow a game from a neighbor/friend.

B) Gamefly

C) Gamestop (used copy 'rental')

D) Redbox

E) Craigslist/Ebay

F) Other options I didn't think of at the moment

There really isn't a need for someone to 'blindly' spend $60 on a game. They can just employ one of the above methods and have no real need for a reviewer's perspective.

And yes...I CAN be my own critic. I already am and have been doing it this way since my gaming days started on the Atari 2600.

Regional Manager of War

Of course, this would have to come from someone on the review team.

However, your own logic is flawed.

Examples:

A) Borrow a game from a neighbor/friend.

B) Gamefly

C) Gamestop (used copy 'rental')

D) Redbox

E) Craigslist/Ebay

F) Other options I didn't think of at the moment

There really isn't a need for someone to 'blindly' spend $60 on a game. They can just employ one of the above methods and have no real need for a reviewer's perspective.

And yes...I CAN be my own critic. I already am and have been doing it this way since my gaming days started on the Atari 2600.
    I abuse the first two methods to the point when I buy a game I already beat it, got the , or made it half way through the story like Batman AC.

Go Blue Jackets!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    to be honest i prefered the second one over the first one

the story is a bit better.
    Story is better? Wait hold on let me put away my coffee before I spill it everywhere from laughter at that comment...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast